Start by marking “The Jolley-Rogers and the Cave of Doom” as Want to Read:

The Jolley-Rogers and the Cave of Doom

(The Jolley-Rogers #2)

Jolley-Rogers-and-the-Cave-of-Doom
Published April 1st 2015 by Templar Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Jolley-Rogers and the Cave of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jolley-Rogers and the Cave of Doom

Mehsi
Another addicting read in this fun series. Though, I am also kind of sad, as this means I have to wait until a new part comes out (hopefully soon!).

This time the Jolley-Rogers are in trouble, they are lured into a cave and are stuck! I really liked that idea, the idea that a couple of witches lure pirates to a cave with huge mountains of treasure and they can't move/go away. The reasons why the witches did it was hilarious and fun. I thought they wanted something totally different, but it turne
Lorie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When they are put under a spell by the Sea Hags, the Jolley-Rogers head their ship Blackhole towards Hag’s Head for what they think will be a day at the beach and maybe some treasure to boot. Instead the three witches have alternate plans for them and their land-lubber friend Matilda. Can Matilda save them all before it’s too late?

The Cave of Doom is the second installment of this beginning chapter series originally published in the U.K. The book has appeal for kids who are up for an adventure s
Shaunterria
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the second book in this series, the Jolly-Rogers are out for a day at the beach when they are kidnapped by a coven of sea hags. Matilda and Bones (their trusty canine companion) must save them, and their plan even includes a trip to the library. This is another swash-buckling adventure from Duddle and fans of the first book are sure to find plenty to enjoy. The Cave of Doom is a recommended early chapter book collection addition.
Tina
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than the first and the first was great!
Alex
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in series of proper reading books for my son at bedtime. Unfortunately he found the sea witches a bit scary, so there was a hiatus in reading before we found enough braveness to carry on.
I didn't think this book was quite as good as the first, especially there seemed to be a shift about 3/4 way through to enable us to reach the ending, but it was still quiet entertaining. I particularly liked the subtleties at some points which clearly only the adult readers would get.
Pop Bop
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Lots of Sly, Silly Fun

This is Book Two in the Jolley-Rogers series, (which currently stands at three books). In his first Jolley-Rogers book Jonny Duddle introduced the Jolley-Rogers family and set up the framework for later books. From there on it's just a fun and crazy ride.

The Jolley-Rogers are a proper pirate family, with Mom, Dad, Jim Lad, little sister Nugget and grandpa. They sail the high seas, but mostly stay near the little fishing village of Dull-on-Sea. Jim's best friend is the frien
Cindy Vallar
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dabberlocks, Maerl, and Pipweed are three witches who collect pirate ships, hats, and flags. But finding such items is difficult these days, since few pirates visit Dull-on-Sea now. So they weave a spell to bring pirates on the double. Unfortunately, the first to arrive are the Jolley-Rogers, who just want a fun day at the beach. The first hint of trouble arrives when Mr. Jolley-Rogers and Nugget use a metal detector to hunt for buried treasure. Jim Lad and his mother are surfing the waves when ...more
Wendy
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveaways
"The Jolley-Rogers and the Cave of Doom" which I won through Goodreads Giveaways is a delightfully humorous pirate adventure that begins with treasure and the bewitchment of the Jolley -Rogers in a mysterious cave. Coming to their rescue Jim Lad's friend Matilda and his dog Bones must find a way to free them from the sea hag's magical spell or they could remain prisoners forever.

In a story filled with the magic of witches and the Interweb, Jonny Duddle creates a tale that will have young reader
Stephanie
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book is a funny mystery/adventure short chapter book with amazing illustrations and fun, quirky characters who are easy to love.
The book starts out with the Sea Hags performing a spell "Crab claws, shells and brains of snails, Seaweed, pebbles, fish entrails! Cotton candy, ice-cream cones, Chopped off heads of fishing gnomes!" Though they only talk in rhyme when they are bothered to do so.
Mr and Mrs Jolley-Rogers bring their children Jim Lad and Nugget to the beach for a fun day of surfin
Justin
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher /author for a ARC in exchange for a honest review.

This children's book is about a family of pirates, the Jolley-Rogers. The family, with the exception of the Grandad, decide to spend a day at the beach.
While there, the father decides to use his metal detector to search for gold,it's easier that way. The signals on his detector lead him and family into a cave where they find gold.
What they didn't know was there are witches/sea hags in the cave who cast a spell whic
Jan
OK, so I didn't ACTUALLY read the book.
And it was a dirty trick to send it to me just in time for James' visit, because now I find myself buying and sending other books in the series to him 3 states away.
I asked this reading addict who just finished 4th grade to read and help me to review while he and his family were staying a weekend here at Grandma's while in town for a family party.
He kept poking me and updating on the fun!
Boiled down, he loved the people, dog, and cat, and was really excite
Claire Bujeaud
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! Absolutely loved everything about this book - the story, the characters, the fonts, the illustrations! My 7 year old was so keen to keep reading every night and I caught him a few times reading on the next chapter instead of getting ready for school, etc! :). So well written and very funny
Angela
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
what an amazingly easy book to read. It lends itself well to using lots of witchy and pirately voices. my 6yr old daughter is in love with these books and I'm only sad that there are so few out. The illustrations are second to none and mixed in with the text it makes for great bedtime reading.
Looking forward to the release of the next in the series "Jolly Rogers and the monsters gold"
Kristina
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! The artwork is fantastic.
Victoria Jane
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this, my six year old loved this and it's a fun, exciting pirate adventure - what's not to love?!
Anne-Marie
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great fun. Finished too quickly for my liking! 5 & 8 yo listened engaged to whole story (three sessions) From the Macbeth start to the happy ending in picture form, just brilliant. Love these books.
Nick Markwick
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable read for my four year old boy (and me).
Maxine
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creative book. The sea hags were fun to read out loud.
Wilde Sky
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A family of pirates fall foul of some witches.

A reasonable story for children - the mouse illustration on page 95 was great (it made me laugh).
Heather Jo
  • Claude at the Beach
  • A Story Like the Wind
  • The Crow's Tale
  • Plenty of Love to Go Around
  • Ottoline and the Purple Fox (Ottoline, #4)
  • Katie Friedman Gives Up Texting! And Lives to Tell About It. (A Charlie Joe Jackson Spinoff)
  • The Templeton Twins Make a Scene (Templeton Twins, #2)
  • The Day the Mustache Took Over
  • Sunny Sweet Can So Get Lost (Sunny Sweet, #3)
  • The Bolds
  • The Dark Island
  • The Griffin's Riddle (The Imaginary Veterinary, #5)
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep
  • Digby O'Day in the Fast Lane
  • Wanted! Ralfy Rabbit, Book Burglar
  • Cakes in Space
Jonny Duddle has been a concept artist for Aardman Animations and created fantastic illustrations for fiction and novelty books, including ALIENOLOGY. He wrote and illustrated THE PIRATE CRUNCHER. Jonny Duddle lives in Buxton, England.

The Jolley-Rogers (5 books)
  • The Jolley-Rogers and the Ghostly Galleon
  • The Jolly-Rogers and the Monster's Gold (Jolley Rogers 3)
  • The Pirates Next Door