Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt

Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt (Nate the Great #11)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  400 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Beginning readers are introduced to the detective mystery genre in these chapter books. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

It is Halloween night, and all the kids are dressed up to go trick-or-treating. But Nate's friend Rosamond needs his help. Her cat Little Hex is missing. Is he hiding, or is he lo
Published September 1st 1990 by Yearling (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt

Alex
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book because I do not like haunted houses. I enjoyed this book because I like Halloween. I also did not like this book because I did not like the part when Nate the Great had to go on a Halloween hunt and go in two haunted houses and look for little Hex, the cat.
Haley Stacy
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt is a great mystery book for grades 2 and 3! In this book Nate is solving a spooky Halloween case that has him searching through an old haunted house for his friends missing cat! This book could be used as a lesson to go along with Halloween. There is no mature content.
Rosa Cline
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, halloween
Nate the Great is a young boy who loves to solve mysteries. When something is amuse in the neighborhood he's on the case. In this one his friends are going trick or treating but one of his friends basket is already to heavy and she can't get any more treats AND her cat is missing! So he goes on the case to solve the missing cat. I enjoyed reading this to my special needs teenage sons they both enjoyed listening to it(even the one that normally won't sit still to be read to) at times I felt like ...more
Mr. Tedrow
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: diana
Diana Avalos

I am reading the book about Nate the great and the Halloween hunt.This book is about a boy that solveds mysteries and Nate solveds a friends mysteries.That the girls name is Rosamond and she has a black cat that is scard of Halloween and hides in Halloween.Nate though that little hex the black cat was in a old hunted house.Then Nate and his dog Sludge went inside in the old hunted house.Nate didt bevin in huted houses, gostes,or golieas.Then Nate went in Rosamond house took the blank
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Alexis Montano
Dec 06, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Alexis by: no one
This book was easy to read because it i short.I decided to read this book because it was in my room and I have not read it before.I also decided to rea this book because it is a kds book even though I am still a kid.This book is good for the people who like mystery books because tis is a mystery book.This book is aso fun because it has alot of pictures help you understand what it is telling you but this book is really simple.
Christy
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is Halloween night and all the kids are dressed in scary and funny costumes.Their Trick or Treat bags are getting heavier.

Nate's good friend Rosamond needs his help.Her cat, Little Hex, is missing.Little Hex hates Halloween, so maybe he's hiding.Or is he lost?Nate and his trusty dog Sludge take the case and hunt in the night for Little Hex.They pass robots, pirates, and
Morgan
I was not impressed by this book one bit. I loved these books as a kid but as an adult I realize that there isn't really a lot going on in these books. The story was rushed throughout the entire book. Nate the Great tries to solve the mystery of a girls missing cat on Halloween. I only recommend this as a leisure read for kids. I do not recommend even placing it in your classroom.
Ariell
May 27, 2009 rated it liked it
I read this with the boys. It was a good for for them. It has pictures on mot pages but it is longer than a picture book. It actually was readable in one sitting. My 5 year old will be starting kindergarten this fall so I am trying to work on getting him ready. One of the things we are doing is reading books. Preferably books that are the top of his maturity level.
Consuelo
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-children
"Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt," by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat, is another mystery in this series. Nate and his trusted dog, Sludge, solve a Halloween mystery. The missing cat mystery on Halloween is solved by Nate's observations and deductive reasoning. Children who like mysteries will love this story.
Dolly
Sep 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls really enjoy the Nate the Great series...the endearingly strange pets, the odd characters, the mysteries to solve and especially the pancakes. This is a fun one for Halloween, with silly costumes (a dancing artichoke?!?), a haunted house and a missing cat. These are fun books to read aloud.
Claire
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a little confused by the Hex characters, but I hadn't been paying the most attention, either, so that may have been warranted.

Overall, I found this book cute, of the Nate the Great series. I've not read any of the others yet.

(I just noticed the reason I have been recording the books I've been reading lately is an exercise in memory more than anything else!)
Charity
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, holidays
Great read for my seven year old (first grader) as he is just entering chapter books. We enjoyed this one together and plan to check out some of the others soon. He was able to do most of the reading himself with minimal sounding out.
Maha
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you love mysteries, then you will love this book!
Stirling
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because the end showed you cool stuff. i like mysterys like scooby doo infact i love scooby doo.
Chloe
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
good halloween book
Melissa Nunez
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this book in febuary 5, 2009. I founded it in Ms.Woodard new books bin.
Gus Guadnola
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-books
I like the creepy noises in the haunted house. I wish you found out what the creepy noises were (in the haunted house). I wonder if Nate the Great ever got any Halloween candy.
Queenie
Oct 25, 2008 is currently reading it
Nate is a detective, who got into trouble when he got locked in a haunted house!!
Ashley Allen
This is a great book to read around Halloween! I would use this book to talk about how students can sole problems and "mysterys" on their own. We would talk about the clues and the different steps.
Kevin Summers
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: early-reader
Sample quote: "What had caused all the clinking and clanking and shrieking in that old haunted house? I would never know. I, Nate the Great, say that some mysteries are better left unsolved."
Chinook
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Found this in the library and read it to my students. I enjoyed it more than they did, but I think they're a bit youngish for it.
Emma
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book because it is too easy I like a little more challenging book,
Anita
Oct 04, 2015
Adrian Houlette
Jul 08, 2016
  • Poppleton In Fall
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Missing Cookie (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • And I Mean It, Stanley
  • Help! A Vampire's Coming! (Ready, Freddy!, #6)
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery (I Can Read Level 2)
  • Pumpkin Moonshine
  • Song Lee in Room 2B
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue