Start by marking “The Art of Effective Dreaming” as Want to Read:
The Art of Effective Dreaming

The Art of Effective Dreaming

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This is not a self-help book, but it’s a book about dreams.
They are not always good dreams.

Fay is a dreamer.
To escape real life, which she finds ‘drearily, drably and impossibly dull‘, Fay creates a dream-world.
She escapes there as often as possible.
But what happens when the line between dream and real life blurs?
Dead morris dancers. Horror and happiness. Folksongs and fri
ebook
Published March 31st 2015 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Effective Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Effective Dreaming

Tracy
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Bored? Trapped in the mindless routine of the daily grind? We’ve all dreamed of escaping at some point whether it’s via a change of job, a holiday, a movie or a good book…

Gillian Polack’s novel The Art of Effective Dreaming is about Fay, a public servant who is depressed with her "drearily, drably and impossibly dull” life. Her form of escape is to create a dream world and lose herself within it.

The characters of this imagined realm become her friends and this world holds Fay’s interest far mo
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘You need a friend all the time, not just when you have a story to tell.’

Fay, who may well be a stereotype with whom some will identify, is a bored public servant in Canberra. Fay is also a dreamer. Dreams can be a wonderful way to escape from those stereotypical (and other) aspects of real life that are dull and boring. Fay escapes into her dream world whenever she can: it’s a comfortable place, and her imagined friends seem friendly and welcoming. Much nicer than the real world.

In Fay’s dream
Patricia Leslie
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's nothing like a good daydream to get you through a boring half hour, day or longer. I find them especially useful on long train rides or when I need to fill in sleepless nights. Rarely, have my daydreams influenced my nightdreams. But, what if they could. And, what if they became so real that, well, they became real life not a figment of your imagination. Gillian Pollack has explored that possibility and beyond with this novel with a surreal story that starts out a little scattered (just ...more
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: aww2015
Disclaimer: The author is a friend. I have done my best to give an unbiased review.

As befits a book about this subject matter, The Art of Effective Dreaming is a strange and rather surreal book. Fay is a bored public servant who escapes into an extraordinarily vivid fantasy world whenever life gets too much or too boring. This fantasy world begins to develop a mind of its own and things start getting out of control.

This is a novel that does some subtle things with style. Early on in the story, F
Kyla Ward
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
As Stephen King is wont to say, "… the difference between humour and horror is it stops being funny when it starts happening to you." (most recently, at the International Festival of Authors PEN Gala, October 24, 2013). In her latest novel, Gillian Polack shepherds us gently past the point where Fay's dreams stop being fantasy and become utterly terrifying.

Fay is a twenty-something public servant, living in Canberra, Australia. She is single, likes reading and used to play the flute, but all tha
Arifah
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When a dreamer (me???) is reading the dreaming book, time freezes.

Fast forward for jumping up to misery dream, backward for happiness that never had happened, or stick to the moment for knitting my own unanticipated plot, by itself. Neither Fay or (me) can escape from dream over dream over the dream. The spell have said.

Author Gillian Polack knows how to curse readers.
Mick
Jan 16, 2016
Lauren Mitchell
Jun 10, 2015
Gillian
Apr 15, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Figgy
Wendy Dunn
Sep 06, 2015
Eeva H.
Aug 12, 2017
Gillian is a writer and historian, currently living in Canberra, Australia. She intends to count the books in her library soon, when they stop falling on her and otherwise intimidating her.