Start by marking “New Beat Newbie” as Want to Read:
New Beat Newbie

Read Book

New Beat Newbie

Written in a frantic blur of inspiration over the first two months of 2015, this collection of contemporary neo-beat poetry is a passionately delivered, in your face dose of pop prose for the digital, conspiratorial, twenty first century world.

Political poems like Kissinger Can Kiss My Ass and Frack Off ride alongside conspiracy themed odes like Illuminate Me Illuminati
Published March 27th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about New Beat Newbie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Beat Newbie

Start your review of New Beat Newbie
Melki
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-poetry
Yes, cats, there are still poets out there writing verse about peace, love, and understanding. Whitewolf is a way cool social justice warrior who just happens to pen a groovy rhyme. Reading these made me want to put on a beret and play some bongos. And, then I wanted to read 'em all again.

description
Mike Robbins
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, poetry, protest
Sometime in the early 1980s I went to a pub gig in Fulham. The band were a protest group. Halfway through one number, the vocalist put his mike close to his mouth and yelled: “Hamburger, nothing!” I soon forget all the pious, well-argued lectures I hear about the evils of fast food corporations, however true they are. But I remember that “Hamburger, nothing!” like it was yesterday.

It came to mind again as I read Harry Whitewolf’s verse collection New Beat Newbie. They’re the work of a man doing his own thing
Daniel Clausen
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I wrote a book with this guy; so, I can’t even pretend that I don’t have a bias toward his artistic talent.

Long ago, I wrote a short story called “The Lexical Funk.” At the time, I thought I knew exactly what it was, but didn’t understand that it could take many forms, one of the most obvious was beat poetry. From the very first poem, that’s exactly what you get -- funky beat poetry.In the very first poem, Harry writes, “Join a new determination to speak from the soul with words hig
Jason
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015, poetry
"Slackers, backpackers, beatniks and Bums.
The new beat is coming, start kicking your drums"

What an amazing line!

I am still quite new to poetry and the more I read the more I realise what I have missed out on, I blame the school I went to where I was forced to write a poem during a lesson, with no inspiration and on a topic set by the teacher, and then I had to stand up and read it in front of a class of idiots. I am now past that and loving poetry.

I have only read
Harry Whitewolf
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
You can read a lot of New Beat Newbie here:

Cheers!
Isis Sousa
When I was about to read New Beat Newbie, I had an idea that I was going to read a poetry book. Oh but I was wrong!

New Beat Newbie is this amazing artwork formed of words, rhythm, rime, music, mundane thoughts, political and social protest, play of syllables and consonants and sheer brilliancy.

Some of my favourite works were When, Letting Them Get Away With It, Then I will Vote, The New Beat Newbies, Warped Words (this one had a super cool warped formatting!), Fuck FchuKfc (if you’re angry at a big irresponsible franchwrong!
New
Rebecca Gransden
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
New Beat Newbie. The first thing about the feeling that lingers after experiencing this collection is that I feel energized. Trying to analyze why this is so drains that away so I’m not going to do that. Having read Harry before but this being the first out and out poetry of his I’ve sampled I’m concluding Harry has a very close intravenous connection to the act of conveying what is on his mind. Strong and misty, frazzled and concerned, these words cut a clear path and make a lasting imprint. Fu ...more
Liz
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whitewolf knows how to put thought streams into words naturally; that's what Whitewolf was born to do. This poetry collection is a bit like an express train.. you get on and there ain't no stopping until you get off. The rhythm and flow of Whitewolf's words sucks you into a high speed vortex. Wheeee!

I enjoyed all of the poems in this collection. I read half of it right before falling asleep, and the rest of it right after waking up, before getting out of bed, even. Coffee could wait. Society, s
James Morcan
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Great little collection of poetry. An easy, quick read that seems to be calling readers to create a new, fairer world.
Whitewolf seems very angry in certain poems, but it's an anger that's justified as he's upset with all the wrongs in our society.
Kent Winward
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry knows my unfortunate antipathy for much of rhyming poetry. I have not disclosed however that it was probably foisted upon me by some English teacher at one point (I'm old and it is hard to remember back that far) that told me that rhyming verse was meant as a humorous, un-serious form of poetry. In hindsight she may have told me this because of my horrible sense of rhythm and atrocious slant rhymes.

That said, Harry has a great sense of rhythm and rhyme and deals with the seriou
Leo Robertson
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really great!!

The difficult thing about poetry beyond the economical message delivery is that the true test of a good poem is the Nabokov "feel in the spine" thing. These poems pass muchly! But who knows why!!

Whitewolf uses the tools of the Beat guys to write about a whole variety of contemporary subjects, raging, loving, laughing in equal measure, which is why this collection works.

Buy this absurdly cheap book to keep in your bathroom (Ginsberg would approve)
Andy Carrington
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I believe in Harry Whitewolf and all the things he says.

I'm a fan (and this is a biased review).
Emerald
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked these poems so much, I read them out to people. The end.
Andy
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-corner
Two years ago I went to a punk reunion show and John Cooper Clarke got up unannounced and read his scathing prose, the most memorable one (he didn't do Twat, drat) being Chickentown. It was very rhythmic: Fuckin beer fuckin chips fuckin chicken chickentown. It was all rhythm and swing and reminded me of Harry Whitewolf's heavy rhythm pomes.

Whitewolf's book title is tricky: The Beat has a double entendre in the title in that A: he refereneces his roots AKA The Beats of the Fifties, an
Tony Sunderland
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New beat newbie is a collection of poems that hark back to a golden age of change and the promise of a better world.
Harry Whitewolf gives us poetry that stabs at the heart of aspects of Western society that need to be both heard and addressed. He manages to use the style of beatnik poetry to create a contemporary and confronting view of the world around us today . It is as though he has captured the spirit of Allen Ginsberg and blended it with the working class aggression of the Punk revolution
Jim Cherry
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Harry Whitewolf’s “New Beat Newbie” is a throwback (in a good way) to Jack Kerouac’s “Mexico City Blues”. Whitewolf has a facility with words, playing with them and their sounds until the meanings twist and you get a bit of a surprise at what the ideas have morphed into.

Whitewolf’s neo-Beat tendencies don’t mean the writing is imitative, only in the context that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. His poems aren’t dry homages about an age gone by, but these poems *POP* and h
Paul Howsley
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked it. The pacing was fast, like short bursts of quick thoughts, thrown down with energy and laced with sarcasm and plenty of pop references. Some of the poems felt like lyrics, like I could put down a beat to the tempo of the words, which added to the enjoyment but also meant I would run through the poem at such a pace, it wouldn't be until I read it again I finally got the words.

It did seem angry at times, and rightly so in my opinion when considering the topics covered. Our l
Elisabet Norris
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd write this review in a rhyme if I knew how. ..that is how entertained and inspired I felt while reading Harry's scrambled insanity that actually makes perfect sense!
He blurts out his thought provoking opinions in a colorful and bizarre way. These thoughts are of great relevance in today's world.
Petey Wheatstraw
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good stuff. Funny, raw, full of sly wit.
Luke Marsden
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie, poetry
It takes a lot to come together for a poem to work. To a greater degree than for prose, a teleconnection between the poet's and reader's brains needs to be established for it to happen. First of all, and self-evidently, you need a good poem. That's necessary, but not sufficient. It also needs to be read by the right person with the right pre-disposition, at the right point in time and the right place. Call it the five Ps of poetry. Then, maybe, it will work.

Given the improbability of
Miguel Bizarre
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-stuff
I'm a critically acclaimed poet/author/Fool by no one. (well maybe one my editor who I pay with pimp slaps with SMurf wayz and a lazy wrist but she saved my twisted life. Def major credits to her) My wired writing in emotional distress can't even compare to the talent Harry has. It amaz-iN-Fuvking-ly flows like lava down a pyramid made of Legos with Boo-Berry cereal at the bottom for tourists to indulge in after hitting the hippiest coolio man that's has the sweet right in the middle like after ...more
Rupert Dreyfus
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic collection of poems. The rhyming and wordplay were top notch. I imagine that watching Whitewolf recite these poems would be fantastic. The sentiments also resonated with me; particularly with regards to attacking greedy corporations ("fuck Starbucks") and the government. There was also a reference to anarchist geek hackers which gets an extra five points. I am definitely subscribing to the mad slacker backpacker parade!

I used to dismiss poetry before this year; I'm now a co
Cora
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent quick read!

I enjoyed this! The author is political but the prose really shines. It took me about a half hour to buzz through this.
M.J. Black
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome collection.... Wish I could manage anything close to this.... Liked it so much I bought the paperback as well as the ebook...
Raegan Butcher
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good stuff froma writer who should be more well known!
Madeline
As usual, Whitewolf is a satirical force to be reckoned with.

Poems such as 'Kissinger Can Kiss My Ass' and 'Then I will Vote' are real winners. Mixing the currently political climate with a black sense of humour.

Some pieces were rather repetitive (a poetic technique, no doubt) and missed the mark for me.

Alison
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brilliant collection of poetry. Mr Whitewolf is quite the wordsmith and the energy of his words flows beyond the pages. Definitely worth a read for escapism from the norm.
Helen Noble
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
New Beat Newbie is a book of poetry, short excerpts of prose and often a pure stream of the author’s consciousness. I am reminded of the Bukowski quote:

“The way to create art is to burn and destroy ordinary concepts and to substitute them with new truths that run down from the top of the head”

One such example from the author being,

“Sit on it,war
We’ve all seen your like before.
Let’s give crazy peace a go
Come on, amaze me, make it so.

The
Harry Whitewolf
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
You can read a lot of New Beat Newbie here:

Cheers!
Donald Armfield
I'm not going to try and break down the poetry in this collection. If this is "New Beat" then it needs something stronger behind. more metaphor. Most of the lines I found rather simple and the rhyming schemes always pull me away from a collection.

-"Dharma Charmer" even though it rhymed I found some enjoyment in this title.

-Bye Bye Bao Bao
-The Poet Pops His Performance Cherry

The only other titles I found a liking to. I dig the beat generation, but maybe I'm missing something in this coll
Indie Revolution ...: New Beat Newbie by Harry Whitewolf 9 10 Jan 06, 2016 08:58AM
Harry Whitewolf is doing his own thing.

He's the author of two ragamuffin travelling tales: Route Number 11 (about Harry's five-month drunken journey around Argentina; and across the borders to Paraguay, Chile and Brazil) and The Road To Purification (which describes his mad-as-fuck pot-smoking trip around Egypt). In addition, Harry has written eight collections of distinctive contemporary poetry, in
“Come on cats, let's go.
Let's teach those old dog cheap trick beatniks some new kicks and bottle up and blow.”
2 likes
“We love the famous. The plastic pretties. Airbrushed arses. Fantastic titties. Hunks and comics to entertain us. Make no mistake, we love the famous. We love to praise the rich, it seems. We love to raise our hopes with dreams, Wanting a piece of the luxury action, 'Cos life gives little satisfaction. We'll prop up the famous, buying in To the media con that always spins, To sell mags and rags and movie” 0 likes