Start by marking “The Night Before Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Thanksgiving

Read Excerpt

The Night Before Thanksgiving

Everyone’s favorite fun-filled, family-filled, food-filled holiday is almost here! Follow along as the feast is prepared, cousins are greeted, and everyone gathers around the table, all with an extra helping of holiday fun.
Published August 6th 2001 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before Thanksgiving

Calista
A Thanksgiving poem in Ode to 'Twas the Night before Christmas. The kids loved this book.

The art is simple and gets the job done. I enjoyed the rhyme. It was fun.
Cindi
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Natasha Wing, a former Humboldt County author, has written several The Night Before... books. The Night Before Thanksgiving written by Wing and illustrated by Tammie Lyon is perfect for sharing with youngsters at this time of year.

As the title states, this story begins on the night before Thanksgiving. Baking, planning for family, and then visions of dancing drumsticks as the children sleep are told about it rhyme. The story continues right on through Thanksgiving and ends with one of the best t
Kimberly
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We are big fans of this series! Each one contains a fun twist on the popular classic Twas the Night Before Christmas. Wing has such an amazing talent for coming up with clever rhymes that smoothly flow from one page to the next. This book covers all of the Thanksgiving traditions: preparation of favorite foods, parade watching, excitement over family arriving, mishaps that always happen on a holiday and of course the enjoyment of leftovers the next day. The illustrations are super fun to look at ...more
Meg McGregor
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-reads
Finally someone has written a companion to The Night Before Christmas!

This wonderful story recreates the perfect Thanksgiving holiday. From relatives coming in from all over, to baking the perfect pie, to playing with all the visiting cousins, this book will delight both young and old.

I particularly enjoyed this part:

"We're thankful that everyone
is together this year,
in our home, and our hearts,
where we hold you so dear."

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays as it is one of the days we re
Relyn
Dec 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Relyn by: my Mom bought it for my daughter
I have a string of Thanksgiving books that I read to my daughter and my second graders. These will be quick reviews based on the reactions of my daughter and students. I put the date the same for each book, but I really read them in the week leading up to Thanksgiving, and on Thanksgiving Day. Under the how many times I've read it category, that will be how many Thanksgivings I've used this book.

This is nice. Just nice. Not fabulous. I use it at home, but not really at school. It's in the pile o
Craig
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
This homage to Clement Clarke Moore's classic Christmas poem, "Twas The Night Before Christmas," is told from a child's vantage. And while it is both humorous and playful, the rhyme and meter is consistently stilted throughout, with either missed or extra syllables. This make the reading quite uncomfortable, and I found myself correcting the versification to make it read properly. It's a shame, because one could hardly find a better example of iambic poetry than this poem's eponym. With some car ...more
Cathi
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
We have a lot of "the night before" children's books (Easter, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, first day of kindergarten, and our favorite, the night before the night before Christmas) and they're great. They're done by different authors and illustrators, but I believe they're all published by Scholastic. This one is a lot of fun, with very detailed and lively pictures, funny rhymes, and an overall great sense of humor.
Neil
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Notes: The Night Before Thanksgiving, by Natasha Wing is a good book to read around Thanksgiving.

Book Review: Wing goes off the orginal version of, The Night Before Christmas but this version is all about Thanksgiving. It talks about getting ready for the party by getting the food ready, people arriving, and then eating. Students would really enjoy the pictures.

Recommend: I would recommend this book to students in grades K-3 and I would do it around Thankgiving.
Teri
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Clever and cute. I am really enjoying all the Thanksgiving themed children's books. I hadn't realized there are so many. I will have fun collecting and reading them each November to my daughter.
Here are some of the clever lines: "Dad slid out the bird. (It weighed 30 pounds.) He turned, then he tripped over one of our hounds. Up in the air the turkey did fly! Over the string beans and straight for a pie!"
I will leave a little cliffhanger for you.;)
Luisa Knight
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet twist on the classic Christmas poem and one that should be read ever year as a family!

Ages: 4 -8

#thanksgiving

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Christina Fonner
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-selection
I like holiday themed books because then it is easy to select a book when reading to a child(s). It is a great book of how some families celebrate thanksgiving in a nice positive and happy day. This book is about one specific family, however it is great to let students be excited or motivated to help their parents bake a cake and such in the kitchen.
Rosa Cline
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, kids, thanksgiving
This was a cute twist on the 'old' traditional 'Twas the Night before Christmas... This author takes the same style and writes it according to getting ready for Thanksgiving. Text and illustrations were nice.
Maria Rizo-campos
I enjoyed reading this book to my students because it is about how much fun families have together. The book is easy, understandable, and has rhymes that help students to read. The story describe all the work that families do together to have the big dinner and the role of the family members.
Heidi-Marie
What a fun take on "Twas the Night Before Christmas," but this one using the Thanksgiving holiday. Sweet nostalgia for me with some of these parts. Will definitely have out on display for storytime, but maybe I'll give it a go for reading.
Tasia
It's a fun read for the kindergarteners on Thanksgiving Eve. We read it at the end of the day for a time-filler, not really using it in a lesson or anything. Just for fun, and they loved it! They especially liked the dancing drumsticks dream page.
Laura Carby
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This books is a version of "Twas the Night Before Christmas." It's a very creative way to think about the holiday and traditions of Thanksgiving. The rhyme of the story also really interest the students.
Jenny
A fun Thanksgiving version of the traditional version.
Melissa
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute holiday book just right to introduce how Thanksgiving is celebrated - just missing the Turkey Trot and watching football!
Gwhitworth
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book for Thanksgiving, patterned after The Night Before Christmas...good trade book to do a Thanksgiving activity with
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Tells of Thanksgiving with the rhythm of Twas the Night Before Christmas. Cute to teach about Thanksgiving with relatives.
Eleftheria Walker
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I used this book to teach a lesson to a second grade class and they absolutely loved it!! It is so cute and fun and creative!!! I would definitely recommend this book!!!
Drusilla
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Set to the tune of Twas the Night Before Christmas with some similar phrasing throughout. Kindergarten loves this book!
Maren Prestegaard
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall
Captured Maren's attention. The rhymes aren't perfect but it kinda works.
Deborah Harris
Nov 30, 2013 added it
Shelves: a2, ar-3
AR Quiz No. 104992 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.1 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Jaime
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
My daughter loves this entire series!
Stefani
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Cute story. Rhymes were awkward at times. Still, there are few really great Thanksgiving books that this is still one of the better ones.
PWRL
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute
Shacoria
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it
It's a really cute rhyming story :)
Sheila
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fun, flowing, rhyming picture book all about Thanksgiving that kids will love to hear over and over!
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Over the River: A Turkey's Tale
  • Happy Halloween, Curious George tabbed board book
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
  • Gracias The Thanksgiving Turkey
  • Thanksgiving at the Tappletons'
  • Thanksgiving Mice!
Why am I a writer? When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a teacher. I’d line up my stuffed animals in front of a board and teach them the alphabet and how to count. In high school I wanted to be a tennis player. I was on the tennis team, and played at our neighborhood tennis club. Then in college I thought digging dinosaur bones would be a cool job. It wasn’t until I was working at my own public ...more