Start by marking “The Night Before the Night Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Night Before the Night Before Christmas

The Night Before the Night Before Christmas

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  478 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
It's December 23, and Christmas is just around the corner. But one family is having trouble getting its act together. Once again, Natasha Wing follows the rhythms and meter of Clement Moore's classic Christmas poem, yet gives it her own entirely original twist.
Published September 23rd 2002 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before the Night Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before the Night Before Christmas

Odessa Green
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Love this entire series, this one was our first purchase in the series and is still our favorite.
Elisa Maher
Nothing is going right for this family of four, on the night before,the night before Christmas! Stockings are singed by the fire, Mom is sick and is not feeling well. Life has been a blur and nothing is ready for Christmas. All the Christmas trees have been picked over, and Chirstmas will be ruined now...... until Dad save the day and says that "Christmas is about love and we have enough." Great for young elementary grades 1st-3rd grade .
Laura (Madsen) McLain
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this very funny riff on the classic poem, the narrator, a clever young girl, comments on the ironic, hectic preparations for a modern American holiday celebration. One of my favorite passages:

Things will get better, I thought, as I crawled into bed.
Maybe visions of sugarplums will dance in my head.
Instead, I lay wondering, gazing up at the moon.
What on earth is a sugarplum? Is it a candy or prune?

Everything is a disaster, as Mom gets the flu, Dad nearly falls off the ladder hanging lights, bu
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely everyone can relate to the holiday issues presented in this adorable book written by Natasha Wing and illustrated by Mike Lester. The rhyming text is wonderful and the illustrations are colorful, lively and full of emotions. I just loved the book perhaps because I too was sick for the holidays and illnesses and the stress of the season create disaster. Children and adults will love this book too!
Hannah Morrison
A fun book! When I read this to the children I nanny they really enjoyed the rhythm and rhyming. The book does not offer much for diversity but is light and enjoyable, as well as a creative alternative to the original "Night Before Christmas". This book reflects the life most families lead in the days coming to Christmas presently. This again is probably not a book I would use in a class lesson, but would make it available for students to read.
James Jones
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Some kids mom wasn't feeling good and they went to get a tree. She had to throw up. The cookies burned and her Mom needed a big nap but she couldn't get one because she had to do stuff around the house and the dad had to work selling trees for Christmas. They went to see Santa Claus and their stockings got ripped so the girl put up real socks instead of stockings so the toys wouldn't fall out. They read the big girl's favorite story and it started out "Twas the night before Christmas..."
Lexy Rabenberg
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a hilarious and cute spin-off of the night before Christmas! It follows the same verse sounds of the original Night Before Christmas but talks about hilarious incidents that happen to this young child and her family. For example they get a charlie brown tree, there's holes in their stockings, and their mom is sick in bed with the flu. If you're looking for something different to read this holiday season, this is the book!
Natalie Heavrin
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, christmas
This Christmas book was a little different than most of the others I have read. It's about the chaos of Christmas and the stress when nothing can get finished in time. Everyone is grumpy and nothing is going right. Yet at the end, everything always comes together nicely. This is a cute rhyming book that is following the structure of "The Night Before Christmas" traditional story.
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's funny and has comical, exaggerated illustrations (done by Mike Lester) that are perfect for this story of a frenzied, everything-is-going-wrong Christmas. I remember reading this to a group of kids at our children's elementary school in Texas years ago, and they roared with laughter at the funny rhymes and silly situations. It's a delight.
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm surprised at myself for giving this 4 stars. You have to sometimes try to make the meter work. However, I did think it was funny, and great that the story reflects what happens when we focus on the "wrong" things at Christmas time (in my opinion), even if those things could (and are originally meant) to enhance our celebrations.
Nick James
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
A funny story for children that is a good book to read around the holiday season. It follows an average family getting ready for Christmas and a series of unfortunate events (not referring to Lemony Snicket) occurs, like mom getting sick and stockings having holes inside them. It's a funny book for adults and kids and currently with 4 days until Christmas, it's a perfect time to read this.
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Written in the same way as the classic The Night Before Christmas, kids who are familiar with that story will no doubt love this one with a funny modern twist. This is part of series of other holiday books by the author.
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday
I love all of her "Night Before" books, but this one is my favorite. It parallels the famous Clement Clarke Moore story. Our family reads it the night of the 23rd of each December of course! Rhyming text.
Muse Here
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a cute read the first time through. Mainly because of the novelty of the idea. It would make a great book from the library. Or maybe better, to read at the library, before you leave. Not as good the second time through.
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-elementary
This was a great book about christmas and what it really means. Everything is going wrong, they get a wimpy tree, their mom is sick, the cookies get burned, last minute shopping...but in the end the little girl realizes what christmas is all about, family. It's a cute little story.
Brooke Birchler
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This would be a good book to read around Christmas because it deals with the craziness that seems to surround that holiday. I think that many students would be able to make connections with some of the things that happen in this book.
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book has many examples of rhyming words. It has a good view of what the true meaning of Christmas is. This book would probably be a better book to read at home rather than to a class since it is not culturally appropriate for everyone.
Maria Kiguthi
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun take on the well know poem. My kids like the pictures and say it is just like us. The favorite part is when the kid is in bed as it says "What on earth is a sugarplum? Is it a candy or a prune?"
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A wonderful look at how holiday tensions can add up to a complete disaster. Great illustrations and fun for kids and adults. Asks the question what is a sugar plum? All of the rushing around and tryng to get the last minute things done and what is really important in the end.
Barbara Branford
Kids loved it!!

My girls loved this book. It was very cute and had a nice twist to the original. Much more like the real way Christmas happens!!
Stacia Leigh
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday
Loved this book! It went nicely as a "before" the classic The Night Before Christmas and had an awesome Christmas message.
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a great spin on an old classic- very cute, my kids love it!
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Really Cute!
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
I love this book, definitely one of my favorite Christmas books, makes me laugh pretty hard every time I read it!
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful illustrations and a lovely story!
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 4 year old loved this book so much I had to read it twice and she made me promise to read it to her again tomorrow. It was cute and has now become her favorite book.
Suzanne (The Bookish Libra)
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
My son and I both got a kick out of this book. A very fun holiday read.
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids
This is such a cute story about how love and Christmas go hand-in-hand. My sixth graders loved it as a read aloud.
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Cute story that emphasizes what is most important at Christmas time.
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: boys-books, i-own
A cute story with a big reminder that love and family are really the important part Christmas, not the gifts.
  • Tooth Trouble
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • Jingle Bells
  • Update on Crime (Nancy Drew: Files, #78)
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • Amelia Bedelia's Masterpiece
  • Little Miss Christmas
  • The Biggest Christmas Tree Ever
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • December
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • Duck & Goose, It's Time For Christmas!
  • Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight?
  • The Crayon Box That Talked
  • A Plump And Perky Turkey
Why am I a writer? When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a teacher. I’d line up my stuffed animals in front of a board and teach them the alphabet and how to count. In high school I wanted to be a tennis player. I was on the tennis team, and played at our neighborhood tennis club. Then in college I thought digging dinosaur bones would be a cool job. It wasn’t until I was working at my own public ...more
More about Natasha Wing...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99