Start by marking “The Night Before the Night Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Night Before the Night Before Christmas

The Night Before the Night Before Christmas

It's December 23, and Christmas is just around the corner. But one family is having trouble getting its act together. Once again, Natasha Wing follows the rhythms and meter of Clement Moore's classic Christmas poem, yet gives it her own entirely original twist.
Published September 23rd 2002 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before the Night Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before the Night Before Christmas

Start your review of The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
Melki
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kidstuff, ho-ho-ho
The moral of this one is either don't wait til the last minute to get a tree, decorate it, and visit Santa at the mall, OR learn how to Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Warmth Back into the Season.

I suppose this might be a good one for those who feel harried around the holidays, but I couldn't help but feel annoyed at this family who had 364 days warning that, uh, yeah - Christmas is coming.
Odessa Green
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Love this entire series, this one was our first purchase in the series and is still our favorite.
La Coccinelle
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Yes, I know I'm reviewing a Christmas book in the middle of January. Shut up.

I take issue with the synopsis saying that "Wing follows the rhythms and meter of Clement Moore's classic Christmas poem". The rhythms, maybe. The meter? No. Some sections are so clunky that they'd be next to impossible to read aloud without tripping over your own tongue. There are parts that have too many syllables, others that have too few... and in both cases, the flow suffers.

The story of a harried lead-up to
Ben Truong
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Night Before the Night Before Christmas is a children's picture book written by Natasha Wing and illustrated by Mike Lester. It is a book about a family going through the Christmas rush and last minute shopping to make sure everything is done for Christmas Eve. As today is the Eve of Christmas Eve (23 December), I thought it would be apropos to read this book.

Wing's text is simplistic and lyrical. It is written in the style of "The Night Before Christmas". The poem was written especially
Meg McGregor
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-reads
A very cute story in the poetic style of The Night Before Christmas.

I particularly enjoyed this part.

"No, it's not sugar-plum,
These things are just stuff.
Christmas is about love,
And we have quite enough."

That is what Christmas should be!

The young girl wonders what a sugar plum is so I decided to look it up!

Sugar plum: 1. a small candy in the shape of a ball or disk : sweetmeat
2. word used to describe someone you care for.

I really enjoyed this story and it brought back many happy memories. The
Elisa Maher
Nothing is going right for this family of four, on the night before,the night before Christmas! Stockings are singed by the fire, Mom is sick and is not feeling well. Life has been a blur and nothing is ready for Christmas. All the Christmas trees have been picked over, and Chirstmas will be ruined now...... until Dad save the day and says that "Christmas is about love and we have enough." Great for young elementary grades 1st-3rd grade .
Katie Markle
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable. I grew up reading this book every Christmas Eve Eve. Great for kids. Very funny for adults. Everyone can relate to the chaos that comes with the magic of the holiday season and this book does a great job highlighting that.
Melissa Namba
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A super fun book about the chaos and high expectations that we set for ourselves on Christmas. I love that the father is able to refocus the family on the love that they have rather than the disappointments that were met right before Christmas.
Kristi Anderson
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite books for reading at Christmas.
Aislinn
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Telling it like it is, I love this book!
Rebekah
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A fun, creative read.
Dux l My week is Booked
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this Christmas kids book!
Definitely required reading for kids at Christmas time!
Lori
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: isaacs-books
Not your typical Twas the Night before Christmas story lol
Miss Sarah
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A family preps for Christmas with a few mishaps. Elementary and up
Laura (Madsen) McLain
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In this very funny riff on the classic poem, the narrator, a clever young girl, comments on the ironic, hectic preparations for a modern American holiday celebration. One of my favorite passages:

Things will get better, I thought, as I crawled into bed.
Maybe visions of sugarplums will dance in my head.
Instead, I lay wondering, gazing up at the moon.
What on earth is a sugarplum? Is it a candy or prune?

Everything is a disaster, as Mom gets the flu, Dad nearly falls off the ladder hanging lights,
Lexy Rabenberg
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a hilarious and cute spin-off of the night before Christmas! It follows the same verse sounds of the original Night Before Christmas but talks about hilarious incidents that happen to this young child and her family. For example they get a charlie brown tree, there's holes in their stockings, and their mom is sick in bed with the flu. If you're looking for something different to read this holiday season, this is the book!
Pam
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely everyone can relate to the holiday issues presented in this adorable book written by Natasha Wing and illustrated by Mike Lester. The rhyming text is wonderful and the illustrations are colorful, lively and full of emotions. I just loved the book perhaps because I too was sick for the holidays and illnesses and the stress of the season create disaster. Children and adults will love this book too!
James Jones
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Some kids mom wasn't feeling good and they went to get a tree. She had to throw up. The cookies burned and her Mom needed a big nap but she couldn't get one because she had to do stuff around the house and the dad had to work selling trees for Christmas. They went to see Santa Claus and their stockings got ripped so the girl put up real socks instead of stockings so the toys wouldn't fall out. They read the big girl's favorite story and it started out "Twas the night before Christmas..."
Hannah Morrison
A fun book! When I read this to the children I nanny they really enjoyed the rhythm and rhyming. The book does not offer much for diversity but is light and enjoyable, as well as a creative alternative to the original "Night Before Christmas". This book reflects the life most families lead in the days coming to Christmas presently. This again is probably not a book I would use in a class lesson, but would make it available for students to read.
Nick James
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
A funny story for children that is a good book to read around the holiday season. It follows an average family getting ready for Christmas and a series of unfortunate events (not referring to Lemony Snicket) occurs, like mom getting sick and stockings having holes inside them. It's a funny book for adults and kids and currently with 4 days until Christmas, it's a perfect time to read this.
Natalie Heavrin
This Christmas book was a little different than most of the others I have read. It's about the chaos of Christmas and the stress when nothing can get finished in time. Everyone is grumpy and nothing is going right. Yet at the end, everything always comes together nicely. This is a cute rhyming book that is following the structure of "The Night Before Christmas" traditional story.
Rachel
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm surprised at myself for giving this 4 stars. You have to sometimes try to make the meter work. However, I did think it was funny, and great that the story reflects what happens when we focus on the "wrong" things at Christmas time (in my opinion), even if those things could (and are originally meant) to enhance our celebrations.
Cathi
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's funny and has comical, exaggerated illustrations (done by Mike Lester) that are perfect for this story of a frenzied, everything-is-going-wrong Christmas. I remember reading this to a group of kids at our children's elementary school in Texas years ago, and they roared with laughter at the funny rhymes and silly situations. It's a delight.
Amy
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday, children-s
I love all of her "Night Before" books, but this one is my favorite. It parallels the famous Clement Clarke Moore story. Our family reads it the night of the 23rd of each December of course! Rhyming text.
Maria
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun take on the well know poem. My kids like the pictures and say it is just like us. The favorite part is when the kid is in bed as it says "What on earth is a sugarplum? Is it a candy or a prune?"
Allison
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book has many examples of rhyming words. It has a good view of what the true meaning of Christmas is. This book would probably be a better book to read at home rather than to a class since it is not culturally appropriate for everyone.
Muse Here
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a cute read the first time through. Mainly because of the novelty of the idea. It would make a great book from the library. Or maybe better, to read at the library, before you leave. Not as good the second time through.
Eastofoz
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Written in the same way as the classic The Night Before Christmas, kids who are familiar with that story will no doubt love this one with a funny modern twist. This is part of series of other holiday books by the author.
Papaphilly
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A wonderful look at how holiday tensions can add up to a complete disaster. Great illustrations and fun for kids and adults. Asks the question what is a sugar plum? All of the rushing around and tryng to get the last minute things done and what is really important in the end.
Brooke Birchler
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This would be a good book to read around Christmas because it deals with the craziness that seems to surround that holiday. I think that many students would be able to make connections with some of the things that happen in this book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Snowmen at Christmas
  • Mooseltoe
  • The Biggest Snowman Ever
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Snow
  • Franklin's Christmas Gift
  • The Amazing Christmas Extravaganza (Bookshelf)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • Snowmen at Night
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Bathtime for Biscuit
  • Olive, the Other Reindeer
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Fancy Nancy: Sees Stars
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
Why am I a writer? When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a teacher. Id line up my stuffed animals in front of a board and teach them the alphabet and how to count. In high school I wanted to be a tennis player. I was on the tennis team, and played at our neighborhood tennis club. Then in college I thought digging dinosaur bones would be a cool job. It wasnt until I was working at my own public ...more