Start by marking “Four Houses” as Want to Read:
Four Houses

Four Houses

A short story written in an unusual format, Four Houses tells the story of a teen girl who finds herself in a field surrounded by four Victorian houses. Over the course of the story, Maddie visits each home, and is ultimately faced with a difficult decision. With a surprise ending, Four Houses demands readers answer the question: Which house would you choose?
Published July 29th 2014 (first published June 26th 2011)

Start your review of Four Houses
Trisha Wolfe
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FOUR HOUSES is a mystifying work of art. Anyone who’s attempted to write a short story knows it’s a daunting if not completely painful process. The writer not only has to work a plot that would take the length of a novel to piece, but also must craft characters that readers feel they know and care about in under five thousand words. This is not an easy feat, but Scott makes it feel effortless.

The writing is lyrical and full of passion. I like to think of this story as Alice in the Looking Glass
Veronica Morfi
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 5/5

This book is something really special. I can't really say much about the story without giving the whole point of it away. The blurb says pretty much everything you need to know. I highly recommend reading this short story, though.

Victoria Scott did an amazing job with such a few words. The story said everything it needed to say in those 30-something pages. It makes the reader wonder what The Incident was and really makes you think about life choices. Great stuff.

The only thing I have
G
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Never thought that a short story would give me chills!

Thrilling. Mysterious. Enthralling. Brilliant. Highly recommended!
Stephanie (Bookfever)
The House of Content.
The House of Lust.
The House of Obsession.
The House of Euphoria

Which house would you choose?

There are not many short stories that impressed me before but Four Houses certainly did it. Although only thirty pages, this story is equally captivating, well-written and thrilling as any other full five star read.

I wished this story was longer. I found myself wanting more. It's not only beautifully written but there's a mystery and allure that really compelled me. Also, the unusal
Debbie I Heart YA Books
Four Houses sent chills though me. I kept waiting to discover who was opening the doors of the four houses. I liked the way the doors had different colors to go with what the houses had to offer this young girl. I was enthralled from the start. Tori Scott definitely can write suspense, and for a short story, that's hard to do. Not only is the story intriguing and original, but the writing captures the reader all on its own. It’s haunting and passionate, and the description helped me visualize ...more
Norah Una Sumner
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers,young-adult readers
Interesting and original.

This is a short story written by one of my my beloved YA fantasy authors.The story is captivating,breathtaking...you just need to find out what happened to our main character.The writing is,as always,simply beautiful.However,even though I was quite confused at first,after second chapter I had a feeling...that (view spoiler).Guess that I was right,after all.

Overall,a really good short story.

description
Victoria Scott
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun writing this story. For the record, I'd choose the Red house. In second place would be Purple. You'll know what I mean after you read it. If you leave a review, please let me know what house you'd choose! :)
Rusty Fischer
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It’s hard to describe Four Houses as a short story; even at 19 pages, it just feels so much… bigger… you know?

Grand, is more like it. You never know what’s real, what’s not real, what’s happening or what’s just happened.

And I believe that’s the author’s intent. There is a world within a world, and a story within each “house.” The writing is mystical and other-worldly; I want to say “poetic” but make no mistake: this is a full-on story, not a story poem. (Although it works as both!)

I don’t want
Valerie
Shelves: 2011-read
My thoughts:

Four houses is a short story so I'm not going to do a summary and regular review because you just need to experience this one!

Let me just say that Tori is brilliant in her construction of an incredible story that unfolds in a unique and interesting way.

Our character, and I won't even name her, is presented with a choice between four houses. This choice will have long reaching consequences that she will have to live with. Which will she choose?

It doesn't matter what genre is your
Christy
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
What just happened???

UPDATE: After I sat and thought about the story, I had to up my rating. When I finished, I didn't know what had happened, but once I read a few other reviews and thought about it, I realized what I had missed. Bravo, Scott, that was really a creative and extremely unique short story that I'm sure will blow readers minds!
Laurie McLean
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous short story that had me thinking about it for days afterwards. Exquisite writing and very thought-provoking. I highly recommend it! And it's free during the month of July 2011 so why wait!
Demetra
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic exploration of choices, filled with emotion and vivid descriptions powerful enough to make you taste the scenes. This up and coming YA author is one to watch! BRAVO!
Lauren Hammond
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! I was sucked right into the story and didn't want to leave. I can't wait to read more of Tori Scott's writing in the future.
Tyse
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
FOUR HOUSES was the best short story I've ever read. I can't wait to see what this author writes next. So, so good!
Paige  Bookdragon
Apr 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fuck-no, read-2015, wtf, meh
What the actual fuck?
Lisa {Silverlight} {Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Reviews}

An almost poetic charm, Victoria Scott proves to me she is a lyrical master!

Short Stories, you love em, you hate em. They can either pack a punch or bore you to tears. Not so within the pages of Four Houses. Four Houses packs a punch with only 20 short pages. A complete story turned inside out. I'm not going to go into the summary as much as I would love too, I won't spoil the riches of this book, for you. Just know that I'm impressed with the approach, originality, and artistic writing style
hayden
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for something fresh and unique
Recommended to hayden by: Victoria Scott
Wow. That was the most unconventional, original and downright confusing thing I've ever read.

Scott's prose is wow-inducing and beautiful. What I find interesting about Four Houses is (view spoiler). I've never read a book like this, and it gave a whole new meaning to the story and made reading it a whole new experience. I learned so much more from this twenty-something page story than I did from many novels I've read.

This short story opened up the
Stephen
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Let me get this started...Tori Scott needs to write more! Lots more!

There is so much story packed into this short. There is emotion, detailed imagery, and...I can't say more without just spouting spoilers.

Please consider reading this, you cannot go wrong!

I look forward to more from this amazing author!
Shannon
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous short story. Tori Scott has a gift for expression keeping her writing clean and concise. Not an easy feat, but she handles it like a pro. A look at this writer's talent is worth far more than the .99 I paid on Amazon.

For my younger friends, a heads-up--this one has language toward the end.
Alison Hess
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still holding my breath. Amazing ride. I'll read anything this author writes, anytime. Powerfully magical.

I think I'll read it again.
Carol Oates
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent short story, very imaginative and chilling. Tori Scott is a author to watch.
Asia
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great story, short yet so interesting. I really liked the idea that each house represents different thing and people associated with them. (view spoiler)
Devon
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amanda Leigh
Date I First Read: December 1st - December 4th 2011

Read again this year. The expanded edition. I love this story so much. The expanded edition is wonderful. Full re-review to come soon.

Review From 2011:
I loved this story! Certainly one of the best I have read. I've read a few in my lifetime and it's hard to come across Young Adult Short Stories -unless I'm missing something and if I am please let me know. The writing in this story was poetic and lyrical yet still realistic. I could picture what
Shane
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
This one's been out for a while and I'd wanted to read it for so long. Finally I got the chance. So at first when I started reading the story, I was confused. But then I became intrigued and wanted to figure out what was taking place. I drew a couple of conclusions. One was that Maddy was at a party and was drunk, and the other was that she was insane and in a mental institution. You can only imagine the eye opener I got when I realized what had really happened at the end of the story.

Four
Savannah (Books With Bite)
This book left me breathless and wanting more. It is such a engaging story that I was sad to see it end.

In this short story, there is so much description as to what is happening, hooking you at the right moment that you need more. I really like that I was able to step into the characters shoes right away. Everything was right on target and very descriptive.

I'm not sure what else to say but to read it. It's a very creative short story that captures you right away.
Four Houses is stellar,
Kathryn
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
WOW!!! This is a short story and the writing is phenomenal. The way Tori described each house was awe-inspiring.
I absolutely loved reading this. Within these pages, I was brought in to the story from the first sentence and so engrossed in what was happening that I couldn't believe it was over...
I love what the houses represent and how our choices each day could look.
I don't think I am giving this the justice she deserves because it was FANTASTIC!!
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A Great short story that engage the readers 'til the last dot.
If this was a sample of what Victoria Scott can do, I can honestly say that will be hearing her name for a long time!

Sam
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-favorites
SPOOKTACLUR!!!!!
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story is so incredibly good. I read it weeks ago, and I'm still thinking about it. It's surreal and gorgeously written, and the voice is spectacular.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lonesome Dove
  • Island of the Blue Dolphins
  • First & Then
  • Glow (Sky Chasers, #1)
  • Foundryside (Founders, #1)
  • Goblin Market
  • The Pit and the Pendulum
  • The Highwayman
  • The Lady of Shalott
  • The Charge of the Light Brigade
  • A Modest Proposal
Victoria Scott is the acclaimed author of nine novels including FIRE & FLOOD, THE COLLECTOR, and the upcoming WE TOLD SIX LIES (January 2019). Victoria’s books have been YALSA-nominated, have appeared on the prestigious Spirit of Texas Reading Program, and have been included on Bank Street College of Education's Best Books of the Year list. She’s been featured in USA Today, Girls’ Life ...more