Start by marking “When to Hold Them (Bluewater Bay, #9)” as Want to Read:
When to Hold Them (Bluewater Bay, #9)

When to Hold Them

(Bluewater Bay #9)

Doran Callaghan doesn't know when to fold ’em. His gambling has landed him in debt and in jail, and now it’s got him stuck in the sticks in a reintegration program. He wants to turn his life around, but old habits come knocking, and some creditors are harder to shake than others.

Xavier Wagner cares more about the National Park he works in than the people around it, until a
Published August 17th 2015 by Riptide Publishing (first published August 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about When to Hold Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When to Hold Them

Start your review of When to Hold Them (Bluewater Bay, #9)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this book from the publisher. This is the ninth book in the Bluewater Bay series, but as the series has progressed, the books have become less related and completely detached from the Wolf Landing concept. And that's more than okay.

Xavier is a ranger, more comfortable outside on the trail than inside. He is biracial and has incredibly supporting parents. Xavier is independent, demanding, and likes to be in control.

When Xavier realizes that the "kid" who
Gigi
Advanced review copy of When to Hold Them provided by Riptide Publishing via Net Gallery in exchange for an honest review. Cross-posted at Reviews by Jessewave.

So, right off the bat, the author gives us a visual of what main character Park Ranger Xavier Wagner looks like. "The guy looked like Luther flipping West from Resident Evil. Or what West might have looked like if he wasn't fighting zombies." Well, I can tell you exactly what Luther West looks like when he's not fighting zombies. He looks
Adam
Consider me pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't sure what to expect going in. The Bluewater Bay series series has been a mixed bag for me, and the initial reviews for this book weren't exactly stellar either. But almost as soon as I began reading, I knew this would be a winner.

First, I'm really glad that this series has moved away from the Wolf's Landing (pseudo-Teen Wolf) plotline. I had absolutely no interest in the intricacies of the show, or the effects of fame. And I'm happy that we've gotten to
Aerin
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
4.5 Stars

This is my favorite book in this series so far (except for The Deep of the Sound, because Amy Lane has a ranking of her own and nobody comes close to her IMO), and I'm so glad it deals with regular guys. It seems like the books are farther and farther away from the movie theme this series started with, and I'm so happy about that!

I loved everything about this book, the characters, the plot, the writing; there was no unnecessary drama added just for the shock factor, and the danger, when
Ami
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I immediately bought this book (yay for discount :p) after I finished Bluewater Blues because I fell in love with Gordon's writing. I loved the fact that these two books only related to Bluewater in terms of surroundings. I read the earlier books but I have never been a fan of romance about famous people. I prefer the guys and gals next door; which is probably why small town romance is one of my favorites.

Anyway, I loved this as well!! Loved it. Gosh, I think I can add G.B. Gordon books in the
Wart Hill
ngh

that ending paragraph tho.

coherency gone.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Doran Callaghan is paying the ultimate price for his gambling addiction—jail, probation, and a reintegration program that lands him in the town of Bluewater Bay, working part time for the tourist bureau. Most of his work is behind the scenes working on their website, newsletter, and brochures. The office is only open for a few hours each weekend, so he and his coworker have a lot of
Lelyana
I was lucky Publisher sent me this book to read.
Doran , ' the kid' yeah, he's 22, but didn't act like 22.
Lack of confidence, probably because of his 'too many baggage' on his shoulder? Who's to blame? Himself.

But I'm glad Xavier has patience for him, maybe because of his kissable lips, or his actually adorable puppy crush on Xavier.
Not a very strong combination for a good relationship.
But I didn't see any relationship until the last few chapters.
It was all Xavier's work. And Doran was just
Kristie
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Rolls of the Dice.... or Stars. Which ever you like. Rounding up because reasons.

A buddy read with Gabby. You may check out our review at Boys In Our Books. A fun time was had by both of us.
Vanessa North
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story--smoking hot sexual chemistry between the guys, a really interesting conflict, and of course, the Bluewater Bay setting.
Gordon's voice is unique in this genre, and I think I will never get enough. :)
Jewel
ARC of When to Hold Them provided by the the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When to Hold Them is my least favorite of the Bluewater Bay series, thus far. I could not feel the connection between the characters and I didn't much like them. Doran constantly acted like a child and Xavier was just too pushy, too quickly. Who demands all of another person's secrets on the first date? Not a reasonable person. I think bossy in the bedroom can be hot, but otherwise, he was just
Tina
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

This book is the 9th book of the Bluewater Bay series...but can be read as a stand alone. It takes place in Bluewater and Port Angeles but has nothing in common with the previous books. No one from Wolf’s Landing cast and crew was even mentioned.

I liked Xavier, the fucking hot, dominant Park Service ranger... Doran, well... the shy guy is addicted to gambling and in need to give up control. Xavier seems to be everything Doran ever wanted in a man.
The guys get their HEA but there's still so much
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Yay! More interracial M/M romance. Keep them coming!!!
Reflection
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I readily admit to being a sucker for stories about guys on probation trying to make amends for previous mistakes. Doran is on probation and must attend a programe for gambling addicts as part of his release conditions. He must also hold down a job in a Tourist Information centre. Doran is ashamed of the mistakes he has made and his self-esteem has taken a knock.

Doran has spotted Xavier a ranger,
Mtsnow13
I think I now need to look into the rest of this series! Things I most liked about this book was the outdoors/park service element, the true struggle of recovering for a gambling addiction, the way the one MC is taking personal responsibility for those he has hurt, and inter-racial relationship. I have not read any of the others in this series, but from reading this one, it looks as if it is okay to read each as a standalone.
Even so, I am now very interested in the rest of the books in this
3 Stars

I receive a free eARC of this book from Riptide Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It was well-written and I liked the characters. I appreciated the respect given to Doran's gambling addiction and the way that it was resolved. The D/s element was not what I normally read, but it was nicely done and very hot. I just wish that the end hadn't felt so out of place. I didn't think the story needed the external drama since there were so many internal issues to deal with.
Lotta
I felt like a largeish chunk was missing in the beginning of this book. They meet, they kiss, they have fumbly sex once and wham, Xavier is thinking Doran has no boundaries and is possibly self destructive. It's like I'm missing scenes, because they haven't done anything more than slightly kinky yet! And he says to Doran "the things I want to do to you", but then it's still very mild. Not that it's not kinky enough, but the way he talks and thinks, it's like they're about to do stuff that could ...more
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

From the start I've been hooked on the books in Riptide's Bluewater Bay series and I've loved most of them; as the series has progressed it is no longer focusing on the Wolf's Landing television show and the people who have come to this sleep Washington town to film but it is focusing on the "regular" people who make up the town. That's not a bad thing, it is just the way the series has evolved and why shouldn't it as the townspeople deserve
Veronica of V's Reads
This is a story in the Bluewater Bay series, but can be fully enjoyed as a standalone novel.

Doran is 22 y/o man with a gambling addiction. He ran up some substantial debt to a card shark, and then embezzled money from his uncle's clients in order to pay it back. This was doubly hard to do as Doran respects his uncle greatly--he took Doran in after his mother disowned him for being gay. Doran tries to comply with his parole agreement, attending GA sessions and working at his job in the tourism
Christi Snow
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Review:
This is the first time I've read this author. He has a much more artistic, flowy style of writing than what I'm used to. And I'll be honest with you, I'm still not sure if it was something I liked or not. But overall, the book worked for me. I really liked both characters. Doran is a bit messed up, but everything he's gone through seems pretty harsh for a single mistake. I loved his artistic side and how he could see the world around him in how he would draw it. And I really enjoyed
Shirley
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, this wasn't my favorite so far in the Bluewater Bay series, but it was still a great addition.

First, I really liked When to Hold Them. As I said, it was a great addition to the Bluewater Bay series, which is fast becoming one of my favorite M/M Contemporary series. If I had to rank my favorites out of all of the Bluewater Bay books so far, this one wouldn’t fall close to the top. My only reasoning though is because it was so far removed from the rest of the series. That’s not
Cadiva
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Holy cow this book's hot and steamy and seductive with just enough sharpness to stop it becoming all a bit too much.
The two MCs are studies in contrasts and I loved the family acceptance and backbone of strength which allowed Xavier the freedom to be his own man.
Doran's unhappy upbringing also worked as the driving force for his need to find acceptance and a place to call home.
As a pair they were magnificent and even the slightly unbelievable element of the cardshark and his goon chasing them
WhatAStrangeDuck
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, reviewed
I was on the fence for this one, so this is more 3.5 stars overall but in comparison to the books I read before, it has to be four stars. In my G.B. Gordon rating system it isn't. It's a very good book so go forth and read it. IMHO it doesn't measure up the Santuario series by G.B. Gordon, which I pretty much adore.
UltraMeital
DNF 49%

This book just isn't "working" for me. First off, I was worried about the relationship between the two MC being a D/s which I really have to be in a certain mood to read, but then, as the story progressed, I realized it's more of me not connecting with either character. I don't "get" either of them. They don't feel genuine. Something about them is just off.

Doran is a gambler, at the point I stopped (49%) what I know is he is on a program of getting better, he recently started going to a
J.L.
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-2018
One of the things that I love about this series is that the creators of the world recognize that the entire town of Bluewater Bay does not revolve around the television show being filmed there, however much the characters mention the "Hollywood Invasion." So much of the Pacific Northwest is protected national park (for now), that I was pleased and not surprised to find an installment featuring a park ranger.

Xavier was a credit to his profession, and it was clear that the author did their
Averin
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
My first introduction to this author was In the Right Light, so I was very excited to find the author continued to write. When to Hold Them has the same qualities that I enjoyed in In the Right Light (beautiful writing, fully developed characters) as well as foibles.

The foibles include a rushed ending and the under developed D/s aspect of the MCs' relationship. Lust at first sight was certainly believable, and maybe, the kinky bits are organic. But how they get to 'I love you' seems almost
Elena

The writing and plot were mostly good, but something felt off with this story. I couldn’t connect with the characters and I wished everything, from their relationship to Doran’s gambling addiction recovery program, was treated with a little more depth.
Also, the main conflict was a little bit ridiculous. Xavier hadn’t even finished scolding Doran because, according to Xavier, he couldn’t be trusted to state and enforce his own limits, but then he pretended to know every single personal
Gemma
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. Started as 3.5 and gradually went down on the ratings for me. By the end I had lost most of my connection with the characters and didn't believe in the (view spoiler) plot.

I found the addiction element interesting at first, and the alternative to a 12-step program refreshing, but (view spoiler)
Antonella
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I appreciated the fact that one MC is a person of colour, Doran's gambling addiction made the story a bit more intense. Still, their relationship developed at lightspeed ((view spoiler)) and I couldn't see why; there was too much sex; the dramatic events in the park were a bit too dramatic ((view spoiler). Personal peeve: I don't ...more
Garth Mailman
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another M+M novel from Bluewater Bay even more removed from the glamour of Hollywood and the Series being shot there. Xavier Wagner is black and gay, a big guy who finds it more comfortable working in the wilderness of the nearby National Park as a Forest Ranger. Doran Callaghan is a gay twenty-something wanderer with a gambling addiction placed at a Tourist Bureau to work his computer skills and searching.

The book gets off to a slow start, perhaps Gamblers Anonymous really is boring. It ends
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Bang a Billionaire (Arden St. Ives, #1)
  • Leo Loves Aries (Signs of Love, #1)
  • Upside Down
  • For Real (Spires, #3)
  • Dirty Laundry (Tucker Springs, #3)
  • Fish Out of Water (Fish Out of Water, #1)
  • Wake Up Call (Porthkennack, #1)
  • Sinner's Gin (Sinners, #1)
  • How to Blow It with a Billionaire (Arden St. Ives, #2)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Never a Hero (Tucker Springs, #5)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • After the Fall (Tucker Springs, #6)
  • Breakaway (Scoring Chances, #1)
  • Taming Teddy (Made Marian, #2)
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • Laurent and the Beast (Kings of Hell MC, #1)
G.B.Gordon worked as a packer, landscaper, waiter, and coach before going back to school to major in linguistics and, at 35, switch to less backbreaking monetary pursuits like translating, editing, and writing. Having lived in various parts of the world, Gordon is now happily ensconced in suburban Ontario with the best of all husbands.

Bluewater Bay (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Starstruck (Bluewater Bay, #1)
  • There's Something About Ari (Bluewater Bay, #2)
  • Hell on Wheels (Bluewater Bay #3)
  • Lone Wolf (Bluewater Bay #4)
  • The Burnt Toast B&B (Bluewater Bay #5)
  • Lights, Camera, Cupid: A Bluewater Bay Valentine's Collection (Bluewater Bay #6)
  • Wedding Favors (Bluewater Bay, #7)
  • The Deep of the Sound (Bluewater Bay, #8)
  • Rain Shadow (Bluewater Bay, #10)
  • Stuck Landing (Bluewater Bay, #11)
“Society can be a bitch."
"And is by no means always right. Society can't know you like you know yourself. So don't let society be the judge of your actions. Only you can judge you.”
0 likes