Start by marking “Heirs of Empire (The Scourwind Legacy #1)” as Want to Read:
Heirs of Empire  (The Scourwind Legacy #1)

Heirs of Empire

(The Scourwind Legacy #1)

Published September 22nd 2015 by 47North (first published August 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Heirs of Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirs of Empire

Bradley
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
So I was reading this old-style fantasy adventure with the stalwart knight picking up an protecting the young children of the rightful king who had just been deposed right in his castle. After a few cool battles and gathering together all the outcasts that this female knight could find, they rally behind the idea of the children and the empire and take on the deposing military to reinstall the monarchy.

Have you heard this one before?

Yeah. Me, too.

I think SF is learning the wrong lessons from the
Lindsay
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Interesting world-building let down by purple prose and mediocre story-telling.

On his way to a secure prison General Corian escapes due to the treachery of the troops escorting him there as they betray their leader Mira Delsol. He then leads a successful rebellion against Emperor, again aided by treacherous insiders. The Emperor's younger children, teenage twins escape and eventually meet up with Mira. Loyalist forces meet up with them and then attempt to retake the Empire.

The world building is
Online Eccentric Librarian
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Few people really capture the feel of what makes a story like Star Wars so good - it's something that Evan Currie does with each book. We're not talking overly intellectual hard sci fi here; rather, Currie channels all the things that make a story like Star Wars popular, exuberant, and accessible. Always expect several POVs, lots of action, sudden deaths, and likable characters - and don't let some of the cliches trip y
Koeur
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok

Publisher: 47 North

Publishing Date: September 2015

ISBN: 9781503946903

Genre: SciFi

Rating: 1.9/5

Publisher Description: The Scourwind family legacy brought the empire to the height of its power and prosperity and defended it against all enemies. Now one man’s machinations aim to shift the balance of power—with violent and devastating consequences.

Review: Nice cover art.

Oh boy, we have a super speshul alert! Prince and Princess twinsy Scourdouchewing, Lydia a
Eric

This story, for some reason, has a Star Wars-ish feel to it. Maybe it's because I went to see Solo at the movies last weekend. Anyway, this is a reasonably fun science-fiction/fantasy story. I listened to the audiobook and the narration is good.

Corian used to be a general in the empire's elite forces called the Cadre. He is now an enemy of the empire enroute to a high security facility in the middle of the desert. Corian is very dangerous so another Cadre is assigned to make sure Corian
Dragana
Likes:
+ Interesting idea. A mix of fantasy and sf. There are castles, nobles, empire in peril. But there is futuristic technology also. Reminded me of 'Star Wars'.
+ Twin siblings. Loved how they develop from spoiled royalties to survivors and how they used all 'stupid' things the teachers thought them to stay alive.
+ Awesome tech.
+ Musings about what it takes to be a leader.
+ Perfect ending
+ I have a huge girl-crush on Mira Desol. She dominated my heart as surely as that awesome book cover. I lo
Liviu
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
technically sf (tech, language etc) but with a fantasy structure (emperor, nobles, tech as magic, far future people seeing the universe as mysterious etc) and very standard stuff in the genre with competent writing that didn't quite click the way other recent similar novels did; still enough narrative momentum to keep me engaged until the (fairly predictable) end - end which closes the novel's immediate story-line (see the blurb for that) but obviously requires a sequel

overall, standard stuff w
Josephine (biblioseph)
First Chapter Thoughts

I was only able to preview 8 or 10 pages of this 350 page book and can see myself reading this when I want something a little more ‘easy’ or ‘light’ but fun. Really what got me was the front cover, and description. Also there are no red-flags of racism or sexism yet. The main character for those pages is a bad-ass knight for the empire named Mira Delsol. I read some reviews while deciding whether to buy this ebook, and saw that the story may seem familiar to long-time reade
Dan
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Pretty good.
Noodle The Naughty Night Owl
6/10: Good light-weight read, well done.

Some people lived for the glory; some just lived for the challenge.

OK, so I'm not quite sure what to say about this one. Was it fantasy? Was it sci-fi? I think it was both.

I did enjoy the world and the fact that there were mysteries to it, but we didn't get any answers. I did enjoy a couple of the main characters, but one gets killed off early and the other didn't have enough page time for me to really connect. I did enjoy the action, even if it took me a
Shanna Matheo
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this a lot. Kind of short, but heavy on the action. Also, it is set in such a fascinating world that I already know that I will read future books in this series if and when there are more than the current two available. For the moment though, I don't want to commit to an unfinished series.
April Burton
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

What a great story line. Thank you for keeping me so engaged with every page. Is there anything else that follows? Loved it.
Per Gunnar
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a sci-fi adventure that, primarily due to the setting, is somewhat different from the usual stories out there. At least from the ones I usually read. I found it very good. It is filled with action, has an interesting setting, good characters and is well written.

The setting is somewhat different. It is clear fairly early that the world where the story plays itself out is a remnant of something much older, much bigger and much more advanced and powerful. The present day inhabitants have lo
Lora Carney
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The premise in the book description is:

"When the trusted General Corian launches a coup against Emperor Scourwind, he hurls the planetary kingdom into chaos. To secure his claim as ruler, Corian will need the strength of the Scourwind name behind him, and he will stop at nothing to bring under his grasp the young Scourwind heirs, twins Lydia and Brennan. Barely into adulthood, the two are thrust into the crossfire."

I found this story a strange combination of a medieval fantasy feel with knights
✩Anna✩
Too many POV changes for any character development to take place. I found it hard to believe some of the changes in character motivations, especially the twins. It's a shame because the world building was very interesting.
Lisandy Mateo
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

I am fan of Currie's Odyssey books , including The King of Thieves. I saw this new book, and patiently waited for the audio to come out. In this book, you get a new story with a strong heroine (which I liked), and two "sidekicks" : the young heirs. It is an engaging and interesting new storyline, even if written in the same multi-character view that Evan Currie usually approaches.

Things I found similar to previous books: Currie likes his "uniquely synced weapons (the Archangels in the Odyss
Henriette
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read a lot and while my favorite genre is epic fantasy, I‘ve become a little disillusioned with it recently as most series nowadays are plagued by the „draw out the ending as long as possible“ syndrome resulting in either increasingly irregular publishing schedules or a lot of filler books. Whether this is to make more profit or because the authors actually don‘t know how to end their stories differs from series to series. Anyways, I found this book on Prime Reading and for the first time in q ...more
Nancy
Sep 19, 2015 added it
I enjoyed this especially the character, Mira Delsol. She is a warrior, a pirate, and a brilliant strategist. General Coriander was an great villain and I enjoyed his battles with Mira. This is a great start to a new series and I hope that there will be more soon.
Polly Clarke
Plot - good, characters - good but more depth needed. I particularly liked the main character but by the time it came to the main fight, I didn't care about the fight. The end is intriguing and I only wish we had a bit more of this throughout to keep my interest going.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Currie writes exciting stories and Heirs of Empire is a good example. There is danger, tension, and betrayal mixed with an interesting plot and great characters. It has a lot of interesting concepts that make it Sci-Fi but not Space Opera.
Sean
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
could not really get into it, maybe a bit too out of my comfort zone
Andrea Jackson
Excellent work, compelling story. Some moments of awkward plotting and characterization but overall I enjoyed it. The world was fascinating.
Keith Lovell
new series

A new series with interesting characters and a new world and technology to explore,with unknown past waiting to rear up in the future books.
Daniel Millard
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
After discovering Evan Currie's immensely enjoyable Odyssey One series, I opted to check out the pair of Scourwind Legacy novels when they went on sale for a pittance on Amazon/Audible. I didn't read much about them beforehand, but I think I was expecting something fantasy-esque from Heirs of Empire based upon a high-level description. What I got was something entirely different.

The Scourwind Legacy is quite unique in its setting and presentation. It's a science fiction saga set in a completely
Michael Bush
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
World building at its absolute finest!

Not since the golden compass have I been so entranced by such a visionary work.
Enter an amazing new world where quantum mechanics is a basis for technology, and you owe it to yourself to explore this world where imagination is become a captivating and unprecedented reality, a world that is a mystery in itself as is some of the basic tech, aircraft with quantum sails and rockets, quantum armor in archaic form, the spoiled princess and rogue Prince. And amidst
Lady
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traitors And Lies

This series must be read in order. This is the first book. I can't wait to read An Empire Asunder!

Corian did the unthinkable for any Cadre warrior... He turned traitor. Now he has escaped Empire custody and is leading a coup. Will he succeed and topple the Scourwind Dynasty? Or will the Empire crush him for his treason? Emperor Edvard is a set in his ways and can't fathom the idea of a coup. How could this have happened? Will the Empire survive? Will the Scourwinds? His three ch
Stephen Taylor
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh dear. I thought this was historical fiction but its fantasy. After saying that it does no harm to try something new. (I like SciFi rather that fantasy usually). The author moves the narrative along at a cracking pace. Glad I have made this mistake.
I tease my writing friends that write fantasy 'cause they don't have to do any research. They can make everything up. They can even make up the laws of physics.
I am assuming that all the weapons that are described are outside the laws of physics,
Bill Bowne
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
My guess is that the story is set on a Ringworld, based on the shadow "islands", the "God Walls", and the ubiquitous (almost) impenetrable metal underneath the soil. The author doesn't state if the people are natives of the world, or if they're the descendants of outside colonists (or castaways), but much of the technology around them appears to be beyond their grasp (i.e., working that impenetrable metal or understanding the exotic weaponry).

The story is a pretty generic Emperor/King's kids sur
Aaron Anderson
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
These are an interesting mix of fantasy with lots of sci-fi terms/stuff mixed throughout.

I almost gave these two books 3 stars instead of 4, but I think they just made the cutoff.

It's a bit annoying that every cadre-person thinks they are immortal and they so aren't. They die like flies at times. I guess we're supposed to assume it's because of the new weapons that relatively easily go through their armor. That's supposed to be a new invention (relatively) and institutionally I guess cadre are m
Brendan
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Imagine Final Fantasy as a book. That's what this is. Complete with mixing medieval fantasy elements right next to high technology. The overall plot is also shockingly similar to that of the just released Final Fantasy XV.

That said, it's better than I expected. Not amazing, but solid. It's a fast read, and it's fun. There are sky pirates (Final Fantasy XII, XIV), royal family members on the run (VI, IX, XII, XV), and an extended sequence involving a train (VI, VII, VIII, IX, XIII, XV).

If the oth
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 30
  • Warrior Wench (The Asarlaí Wars #1)
  • Rebel (Vicky Peterwald, #3)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2012
  • Chasing Vegas
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • A Spy To Die For (Assassins Guild, #2)
  • Sky Ranger (Extrahumans, #2)
  • The Sea of Time (Kencyrath, #7)
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • The Fall (Crimson Worlds, #9)
  • Dreadnought (Lost Colonies Trilogy, #2)
  • Space Carrier Avalon (Castle Federation, #1)
  • The Genehunter
  • A Call to Arms (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #2)
  • The Nature of a Pirate (Hidden Sea Tales, #3)
  • Peacemaker (Peacemaker, #1)
  • One to Go

The Scourwind Legacy (2 books)
  • An Empire Asunder (The Scourwind Legacy #2)
“The fun thing about insanity is that it is often so very hard to tell it apart from brilliance.” 4 likes
“numbers. William” 0 likes