Start by marking “Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Wonderland

Wonderland

Fans of Chelsea Cain and Lisa Gardner will devour this edgy thriller about the gruesome secrets hidden beneath a small-town amusement park. From the author of Creep, Freak, and The Butcher, Jennifer Hillier’s “fine knack for creating hideous killers” (Booklist) is vividly on display.

Welcome to Wonderland. By day, it’s a magical place boasting a certain retro charm. Excited
Published October 5th 2015 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Wonderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonderland

Start your review of Wonderland
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I love amusement parks featured in the story line of books. So I got all hyped up to read this book and phtttt..it fizzled.

The story starts off with a Wonderland employee ticked off because the CEO of Wonderland (A thirty something year old woman) has ended their affair. So he is going to pay her back. He climbs up the WonderWheel (He is something called an Urban Climber or some shit)

He does it in his uniform and shoots a bird and posts the picture to his facebook, so that it will go viral.
Dan Schwent
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
When a boy goes missing, last seen on top of a Ferris wheel in Wonderland, and a rotting body is later found in the same amusement park, Deputy Chief Vanessa Castro sets her sights on the amusement park. What evil is lurking beneath the theme park's facade?

Wonderland was a bit of a rollercoaster, pun intended. Vanessa Castro is new to Seaside, a Washington town supported largely by Wonderland, a theme park. Since the entire town's livelihood depends on the park, she runs into quite a few roadblo
Delee

The cover reeled me in...but in the end- it was kind of its downfall too- because I expected more from it because of "said cover". I wished for more creepiness..and less predictability. Alas, neither of those two things were achieved...

[image error] photo f406f6a2-ca1e-40f3-8604-5111c8aeb050_zpst6csdk5n.jpg

Widowed Vanessa Castro has moved to Seaside to escape her own scandalous past. With her, she has brought her two children- Jon-Jon and Ava. Ava is signed up to work for the one money maker in Seaside. WONDERLAND! The end all be all of all the business
Sue
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having read Creep, Freak and LOVING them and then being a bit disappointed with The Butcher, I was eager to read Jennifer Hillier’s new thriller novel, “Wonderland”. I was not disappointed…this novel is another winner!

Wonderland is the ideal location to disclose a chilling thriller. Living in Toronto, it brings back so many childhood memories of Ferris wheels, cotton candy, carnival music, and the House of Horrors with its creepy characters. The setting is the amusement park in Seaside, Washing
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Wonderland has been sitting on my shelf for some time. I kept putting off reading it after reading Joyland by Stephen King, thinking it was going to be similar. It is similar because it is a really good read. But then again, it isn't similar. Not at all.

Insidiously creepy, Wonderland had my mind jumping all over the place, suspecting any and everybody of killing the Wonder workers. Hillier does a great job of sowing these little suspicions....

Vanessa Castro moved to Seaside to escape her own sc
Jan
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, mystery, netgalley
After reading all the buzz about Jennifer Hillier's first books Freak by Jennifer Hillier and Creep by Jennifer Hillier I was really excited to have received this ARC from NetGalley. The cover alone set the bar pretty high!

Unfortunately, this didn't turn out to be the creepy thriller I was hoping for, and I think the best word I can use to describe it would be bland, or maybe generic. The pace was slow, the characters a bit cookie-cutter, and while the ending provided a nice twist, I think the 'gasp' surprise of it got lost in too many
Dita
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Hillier,

I love your books and you write great characters. Your plots are well-constructed and thoroughly researched. You got me good with this one! I love when I am surprised by an ending and you are masterful at this!

I am so looking forward to Jar of Hearts!!

Dita
Wendy
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nov-15
Wonderland, by Jennifer Hillier, is a bone-chilling thriller about the gruesome secrets beneath a small-town amusement park.
Chapter One grabbed me as we read about an 18 year old disgruntled employee that sneaks into the park in the wee hours of the morning to free climb the 150 foot (14 stories) Wonder Wheel to take a selfie and post it on the internet. What happens next is terrifying!
Once the park opens it is discovered that the free climber has gone missing and that a body (dead for quite awh
Judy D Collins
K I L L E R !

WONDERLAND is a 5 Star+ Top-Shelf Psycho-Crime Suspense Mystery Thriller! Top 2015 Books.

Just when I thought Jennifer Hillier could not possibly top The Butcher, landing on my Top 30 2014 Books , she pulls out another show stopper. Someone better grab the film rights to this Wonder, ASAP!

No one can do creepy, and twisted, like Canadian, JH. Having read and LOVED: Creep, Freak, and The Butcher, was SO excited to receive an early reading copy of Wonderland. Worthy of the hy
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I thought this book was AWESOME. When I first saw the book cover I was pulled right in, I mean it's wicked cool and looks creepy! I love amusement park books, movies, stories...

I was thinking it was going to be some creepy clown or some deranged person that escaped from a lunatic asylum running around taking people out. Not, so much. This is a very long and drawn out book about murders that are so complex you don't have a clue where to begin. I mean everyone
Linda Strong
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is not the first book I've read by this author. I immensely enjoyed CREEP and FREAK and had high hopes for this one. I was not disappointed.

Wonderland is a huge amusement park set in a small Washington town. The park is the big tourist trap which keeps the city alive. Wonderland comes complete with The Clown Museum, The Doll House, and House of Horrors ... and today it comes with a decaying body left in the midway.

Vanessa Castro 's first day as Deputy Police Chief starts off with a bang. Th
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
A body is found on Wonderland on Vanessa Castro's first day as a deputy police chief of Seaside, Washington. And, if that wasn't enough; a young boy working at the amusement park goes missing the same day. Vanessa discover soon that more boys has gone missing in the last decade as she investigates the murder and the missing boy cases. Is there someone out there kidnapping and murdering boys, and what's the connection to Wonderland?

I have to admit; I was totally captivated by the cover of this bo
NZLisaM
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A+

Now I can’t decide which Jennifer Hillier book I like better, ‘Jar of Hearts’ or ‘Wonderland’? I think this one wins by a smidgen as I’m a long time fan of novels featuring amusement parks, carnivals, circus, etc where people are disappearing, and frightening things are happening – whether it’s crime, horror, sci-fi, or fantasy. In ‘Wonderland’ there’s a pretty disturbing Clown Museum with a porcelain doll room called the Dollhouse, rumoured to have dungeons and tunnels beneath it – eek! It’s
AH
I usually take a few notes as I am reading a book just so I can write a coherent review. Here's what happened when I read Wonderland: No notes. In fact, I barely put the book down at all this weekend. Wonderland reminded me a little of Stephen King's Joyland and the TV series Gracepoint. The story is set at an amusement park in a small fictional seaside town in Washington state. A decomposing body is found under the Ferris wheel and another park employee is missing after he filmed himself at the ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
4.0 Stars
This was such an addicting thriller to read!

Once again, Hillier delivers a gripping narrative that pulled me in and never let go. The story was addicting and fast paced with a diverse cast of characters. Shifting between multiple perspectives, the structure of the book gave away some of the mystery. Yet, I still found myself dying to find out what was going to happen next.

Despite the setting, this book did not really have much of a carnival atmosphere. The story was never scary or eve
Benoit Lelièvre
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, that was a pleasant surprise. Jennifer Hillier got us used to enjoyable, yet straightforward serial killer novels over the last couple years, but that train stops in 2015 with WONDERLAND, a novel where she aggressively reinvent herself and man, it's the most fun, refreshing and unexpected novel. Jennifer Hillier is a major talent, guys. If you had doubts, WONDERLAND will obliterate them.

While I would still classify it as a psychological thriller, WONDERLAND adds element of horror and myste
DeAnna Knippling
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A decaying theme park...a cop looking for a second chance...a right-hand man whose loyalties have already been tested...and the wrong murder.

Okay, this wasn't the most shocking thriller, but it was perfectly put together. I saw it coming, but had no regrets. Your every expectation is expertly calculated and used against you, from the opening scene to the chapter points of view.

My only question is,

Where's the movie? It's perfect Hitchcock material.

Recommended if you liked Knives Out.
Carrie
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wonderland is a large amusement park in the small town of Seaside, WA. We start off the story with one of the Wonder Workers, an 18 year old disgruntled employee, sneaking into the park before it opens and free climbing the 150 foot Wonder Wheel ride to take a selfie and post it to the internet. While he's up there someone shows up at the bottom of the Wonder Wheel and turns the ride on.

Next we meet the new Deputy Chief of the Seaside PD, Vanessa Castro. She's crawling out of the bed of her lat
Elle's Book Blog
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, crime, horror
:: 5 Nightmarish Stars ::

This is the first novel I have read by author, Jennifer Hillier, and it will not be my last. This book is a freakish, heart pounding page turner that will leave readers hanging on the edge of their seats. This is one you don’t want to miss out on. Every page- from start to finish- will enthrall and frighten you. It is intense, creepy, and twisted. I highly recommend it especially to those who love a good thriller. Hillier’s books will now be on my “must have” list. I c
Mauoijenn
I was excited to see Hillier wrote another book.
I was even more excited when NetGalley gave me the green light to read it.
I liked the first few chapters a lot. The middle needed some pushing on my part to get through it. The ending was okay. Not one of her greatest but better than The Butcher.
Ally
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, arc
This book really had the potential to be great, but for some reason it just didn't do it for me. It took me ages to read - I didn't want to come back to it. This also means that it was so bland that I don't have much to say.

I didn't like the characters. Vanessa is just a wreck. Even if she is good with her job. I know she's going through a lot, but she certainly is judgemental of people who did the same thing as she did (even if they had different motives). And, other than Bianca, no one else re
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
A solid 3.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a pleasant surprise.
Michael
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of Hillier, her previous books got either five or four star. I love the way she writes, she makes you feel sympathetic with the protagonist and she writes in a way that is so engrossing to the reader. She is one of the rare authors that writes like a thriller supposed to be read, not much foreshadowing unlike most novels that are wrongly tagged as a thriller. As far as this boo, it started off really strong and really creepy but then it had too many loopholes.

I would have preferr
Madeline  Worrell
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
3.5 stars.

I happen to love stories with a creepy, carnival atmosphere. When I spied this book one day, I knew I would eventually read it.

Jennifer Hillier is a new author to me. Even though I gave the story 3.5 stars, I enjoyed her writing style. Jennifer hooked me from page 1. Her story was interesting, compelling, and mysterious.

Ok, I kept thinking, who is the killer? A wonderland employee? A disgruntled visitor? An escaped lunatic? Even, maybe the Mayor, the Chief of Police, or a deputy?

I k
Pamela
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Jonelle Patrick
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great setting for a thriller! Wonderland picked me up on the first page and didn't stop flipping my expectations upside down until the very end. I loved being taken behind the scenes at this all-too-believable amusement park, and really enjoyed spending time with the characters. They were so well-drawn that by the end I felt a twinge of sympathy for the bad guy, and would gladly buy the good guys a beer. Plus, Wonderland passed my ultimate test: it turned a long and dreary plane flight in ...more
Melanie Johnson
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
If you love creepy fair clowns, serial killers and life-sized porcelain doll collections , you will love this book!! Set in an amusement park, Wonderland has a mysterious death and the new Deputy in town is ready to take no BS and figure out who killed this guy. If you have read CREEP and FREAK, you will see an old familiar character in WONDERLAND. A great thrill ride and easy read.
Up All Night Book Addict
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, read-2015
This is one of those books where you expect for the hair on your arms and the back of your neck to stand at attention, just from the cover alone. I mean, it’s a creepy clown for goodness sakes. What could be more hair-raising than that? Well, the book itself, of coarse.

I couldn’t seem to get enough of this story. It was like I was in a trance. I had to know what was going on. Who was who? Who was psycho and who wasn’t? Who was going to get their happy ending and who would end up dead? I kept goi
Meigan
Let me preface by stating - I'm a huge fan of Hillier's work. Creep and Freak were phenomenal and two of the best psychological thrillers I've read in quite some time. That being said, I went in to this novel expecting to be blown away much as I was with the two I've previously mentioned. Unfortunately, that didn't happen with Wonderland. Not even close and to be perfectly honest, the reason is that it seems Hillier came up with an idea to wrap her entire novel around social media and have anyth ...more
إيمان❤︎
People, we're not wasting time in 2k18 finishing books by force just to mark it as "read" even though we're not enjoying it in the least!

One sign that shows a book isn't worthy of my time is that when I put the book down, I don't miss it nor think about it NOR WANT TO PICK IT BACK UP!

YOU KNOW WHAT! IM SO MAD AT THIS BOOK! IT HAD ALL THE ELEMENTS THAT I LOVE, ITS SET IN A FREAKING CREEPY AMUSEMENT PARK FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE! BOYS WENT MISSING WHILE HAPPY MUSIC WAS PLAYING! HOW CAN YOU SCREW THIS UP!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Clown in a Cornfield
  • The Night Swim
  • Sommerfrost
  • The Wife Who Knew Too Much
Jennifer Hillier writes about dark, twisted people who do dark, twisted things. Born and raised in Toronto and a proud Canadian, she spent eight years in the Seattle area, which is where all her books are set.

She loves her son, her husband, the Seahawks, and Stephen King. Not equally, but close. She's the author of six novels, including JAR OF HEARTS, which won the Thriller Award, and was shortlis