Start by marking “A Show of Force (The Frontiers Saga, #13)” as Want to Read:
A Show of Force (The Frontiers Saga, #13)

A Show of Force

(The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) #13)

Episode 13 The liberation old worlds… The addition of new allies… The fall of a regime… The death of a trusted friend… The Aurora begins clearing a 20 light year sphere of safety around Earth, taking out Jung forces as they liberate the core systems. However, Captain Scott and the Alliance quickly discover that not every world wants to be liberated, and the Jung have a few ...more
Published April 1st 2015 by Ryk Brown

To ask other readers questions about A Show of Force, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Show of Force

Start your review of A Show of Force (The Frontiers Saga, #13)
Jean
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This is one of my favorite space operas. It has been great fun watching Ryk Brown evolve into an excellent author. This is the 13th book in the series. The series should be read in order otherwise the reader is lost. This author does not go back and fill in details from prior books.

In the last book, Earth has been cleared of the Jung. The Arora and Celestia are all shot up and the asteroid repair station is also damaged. In this book the repairs are in process and Nathan sets out to clear the
Mike Nemeth
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The only real problem with "A Show of Force," the 13th in the Frontiers Saga series, is that I've completed reading it. Damn. And despite the fact that in the back author Ryk Brown promised another episode soon, I'm still bumming. The Ghatazak's Telles has got to be one of the highlights. Prince Casmir plays a significant role, and the Jung are back on the offensive after taking a serious beating. The Alliance has growing pains, the jump drive is susceptible to theft and our heroes learn that ...more
Christopher Haskins
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
And it continues...

Excellent follow-up to the last book. As usual, the story keeps going, leaving me waiting for the next in the series. I really had trouble putting this novel down....
Jeff Frank
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
It continues

Another good read with all action. Some deeper character development would develop the story even more. I would also enjoy a pov from the enemy.
Clayton Falter
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Action & Strategic - but based on bad science

Same strengths and weaknesses as recent novels in series. "Gasoline" fueled spaceships & not recognizing that relativist KKV gain so much mass they fold/warp space so bad as to likely stop any nearby FTL drive of any type - but particularly any space folding (wormhole) continuous microjump drive. The whole being able to monitor but not touch FTL ships was a bit artificially and awkwardly contrived plot mechanism. The author could have
JP
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
It's interesting seeing A Show of Force escalate from where we were earlier in the series. The Aurora and her crew have kicked one evil empire's butt, freed the Earth, and are now taking the fight to the Jung, clearing a 20 light year radius.

It's a pretty crazy book, with lots of fights, both on the ground and in space. Nothing hugely surprising happens, with most of the book pushing towards the final confrontation I expect we'll see shortly. We do see a lot more of the Jung now, seeing them as
Michael
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before you start this book, please realize it is #13 in a series: if you haven't read the other books in the series in order, this one will make no sense to you.

This installment is a major pickup in the action and pace of the last novel, which is significant as episode #12 really stepped it up a few notches. The Alliance takes the fight directly to the Jung, Casimar is fighting a civil war, and you have non-stop action from the first chapter to the end. Similar to other episodes in this series,
John (JP)
This was another great chapter in an epic series. The Alliance gets cocky in its plans for a war against the Jung and almost gets its head chopped off. The Ghatazhak encounter staggering losses and are forced to retreat. The nobles stage a coup further complicating the Alliance plans for a 20 light year zone of protection for Earth. Brown has the natives of the liberated planets question the Alliances rational for their actions. All these factors plus some major character developments make this ...more
Chris
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last-minute saves in this series are getting a little ridiculous, but thankfully they are used sparingly. However, having gone this deep into the series, I find myself emotionally invested in the core characters and the plot. (Yes, for pulp sci-fi. Fite me.) I'll see it through. Two more to go.
malcolm j gough
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent episode in this always entertaining saga. The space battles are thrilling and the political elements are intriguing. This is a very long, and continuing story but the pace never lets up, characterisation is very good and there are plenty of surprises.
David
The Alliance continues to clear an area around the earth. Yet, things don't always go as planned, and even the Gottajack can have a really bad day. Victory can be transformed in an instant, into disaster.
David Syzdek
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gripping adventure

I cannot stop reading this space navy book series. It's an amazing and thrilling ride that's building and building with great action and relatable characters.
Kyle
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
another action packed sequel in this series. I don't really know how to review this because if you are 13 books in you know what your going to get. overall an amazing sci series.
Louise Pass
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The sweeping saga continues

More explosions, more technology, more battles, spec-ops skuldugery, saving the alliance is very hard work. You should read this series!
George
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Great Series so far can’t wait to read the rest of the series. I highly recommended this to all readers. The plot twists are ever changing
Peter Sidell
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The suspense goes on

More victories, more challenges. The battle goes on. Mixture of hope and despare. Heroism and new challenges. Battles a little too detailed.
Bryce Carr
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good series with very well written characters. Very much enjoyed the whole series start to finish.
Shelly Singhal
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Can't. Stop. Reading. These.

I think I've run out of nice things to say about this series other than why the heck hasn't someone made a movie about this yet?
Per Gunnar
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chapter 13 in The Frontiers Saga is as enjoyable to read as most of the books in the series have been. It is great entertainment and I definitely liked this book except for a few things that I get to.

The book starts off right away with the Alliance giving the Jungs a good beating. There is plenty of action in this book and, for once, the Aurora is not totally shot to pieces. At least not right away. A decent amount of the action is down on the ground, either in the form of the Ghatazhak
Ed Tinkertoy
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
First let me say that I waited a good while to get to this book after it was released. And I decided to wait until the other books in the series were published before I got back to it. In the meantime I read several other books and when I finally got back to this one I was kinda turned off because the series had run so long, and even still was not yet finished. I was also a bit turned off by the continual space wars after reading books that did not have that. But I still loved the book once I ...more
Jim
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Boy! These books are exciting! I can’t get enough of them. Yet, I’m reluctant to start each one because I know the story will quickly be over and I’ll have to wait for the next episode. I hate waiting!

I know writing is hard. And I also know it takes a lot of time and effort to get a good story-line developed and keep it going to satisfy the fan-base as it grows. Well, Ryk Brown has no problem doing that with his Frontiers Saga book. If you’re just starting on the Saga, you won’t understand what’
Jason
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This is an interesting Episode of the series and one that has a fundamental shift in the dynamics of the series.
The previous episode had started to shift, with the Alliance starting to move against the Jung, but this one has a full fledged assault against them, as the Alliance attempts to clear a 20 light year zone around the Earth.
And this is where it all gets very interesting.
Ryk Brown is very adept in writing his starship battles now, giving you a feel for being there as if you were zipping
Jason
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And this is where it all gets very interesting.
Don Viecelli
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
From My Newsletter Number 99:

This review is on A Show Of Force from The Frontiers Saga Episode 13 by Ryk Brown. It is Book 13 in a long running series that never seems to end.

Episode 13 begins with an attack on a Jung battle platform orbiting another world named Copora controlled by the Jung Empire. The citizens below have no idea what it happening until it becomes clear someone is battling the Jung to remove them from power.

Copora is just another Jung controlled planet within twenty
Karsten Fischer
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Entertaining, easygoing
Hm, what to say about it? It's the 13th part of the frontiers saga. Very solid, entertaining, good characters, nice storyline. It's not something which keeps you glued to your reading device, but it is a good read.

If you look for a good reading experience, Ryk Brown's Frontiers Saga is one way to go. Nice characters who really drive the story. That's what's left after two orbital bombardments struggle to survive while Nathan keeps evil at bay - that about sums it up, but the Pentaurus cluster
Patrick
Aug 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Losing steam

Parts of the book can still hold my interest but I am skipping many pages at a time. All fiction is about people to whom you can relate, whether you can sympathize or despise or cheer on. Increasingly, I feel none of the above.

I still like the ideas of the ships and weapons but the improvements and upgrades to both feel hollow and rushed. An entire planet has been devastated and that planet is Earth, yet there's no coverage of its recovery.

Go USA and Canada! We are the dominant force
Shane
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-scifi
Four and a half stars. I can't call this "Amazing" but it sure was hard to put down... This series started off good, and just keeps getting better and better. Just when you think you have it all figured out, it twists and turns and leaves you asking "when does the next book come out?"

I find it interesting that as popular as serials have been in both book and film throughout history that so few new authors can follow the examples laid down. Brown does NOT have that problem! Each episode takes us
jana lafleur
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Losing interest

Another one I pretty much just skim through. Theres so much jumping its very redundant. The author still thinks we dont know theres a flast of blue when they jump so he tells us after every jump. Jessica is the worst spec ops in the galaxy always going on missions then blabbing everything to a stranger always just short of that one critical piece of information. Its annoying she cant keep her mouth shut. Most of the series you can pretty much skip the first 65% and just read the
_
Wow. Well, THAT didn't end the way I wanted it to end! This episode of the Frontier's Saga was yet another winner! The action was non-stop. The story takes place on two, sometimes three, fronts, and moves forward at a breakneck pace. The writing style of Ryk Brown is absolutely fantastic, and his characters are 100% real to me. The twists in the plot, and his ability to develop new arcs while simultaneously wrapping up others is just amazing. This book was a 4 star read, and the entire series is ...more
Jeff Hay
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Too much foul language

This story is full of action, twists, and turns with each new chapter. I have thoroughly enjoyed the stories to date, but the gratuitous foul language in this novel made me feel as if my mind was being polluted. If not for the excessive language, I would rate this book as a 5-star. If the next book is as bad as this one for foul language, it will be my last novel by Mr. Ryk Brown.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Imperium Defiant (Light of Terra, #3)
  • The Grand Alliance (Blood on the Stars, #11)
  • The Others (Blood on the Stars, #13)
  • Star Fire (Stars End, #1)
  • Dauntless (Blood on the Stars #6)
  • The White Fleet (Blood on the Stars #7)
  • Nightfall (Blood on the Stars #10)
  • TFS Ingenuity (The Terran Fleet Command Saga, #1)
  • Star Kill (Stars End, #2)
  • Armor World (Undying Mercenaries, #11)
  • TFS Theseus (The Terran Fleet Command Saga, #2)
  • TFS Navajo (The Terran Fleet Command Saga, #3)
  • Haven Ascendant (Cole & Srexx #3)
  • Echoes of Glory (Blood on the Stars, #4)
  • It Ain't Over... (Cole & Srexx #1)
  • Shield of Terra (Light of Terra, #2)
  • The Colossus (Blood on the Stars, #12)
  • Raven's Peace (Peacekeepers of Sol Book 1)
Born in 1960 and raised on an overdose of television, NASA, and science fiction, Ryk Brown has worked as a cook, rock guitarist, stage lighting technician, and paramedic. He currently resides in Northern California with his wife, daughter, and cat. By day he fixes computers, and by night he creates stories.
Having spent his entire life "thinking stuff up", the advent of digital publishing has

The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Aurora: CV-01 (The Frontiers Saga #1)
  • The Rings of Haven (The Frontiers Saga #2)
  • The Legend of Corinair (The Frontiers Saga #3)
  • Freedom's Dawn (The Frontiers Saga #4)
  • Rise of the Corinari (The Frontiers Saga, #5)
  • Head of the Dragon (The Frontiers Saga, #6)
  • The Expanse (The Frontiers Saga #7)
  • Celestia CV-02 (The Frontiers Saga #8)
  • Resistance (The Frontiers Saga, #9)
  • Liberation (The Frontiers Saga, #10)
“My father once told me that life itself was the best education. But just living it wasn’t enough. You had to keep your eyes and ears open, and on occasion, take the time to reflect upon your experiences, both big and small, for every one of them has something to teach you.” 1 likes
“wealth of productive years ahead of me to” 0 likes