Start by marking “Tress” as Want to Read:
Tress

Tress

Ever since little Tess cut off her doll's hands and painted them blood red, she's longed to live in a gruesome fairytale. But when grown-up Tess can hardly tend her own wounds, how can she free a golden-haired woodsman from his curse?

Larissa Brown, author of the Viking love story Beautiful Wreck, crosses genres again with a novella that's part fairytale, part p
Published April 21st 2015 by Odin Ink

To ask other readers questions about Tress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tress

Start your review of Tress
Jill
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

"I am cursed," he says. "To chop wood through all time."

After losing her hand several months ago in an accident, Tess is struggling with life and reality. Ever since she was a child, she's had a fascination with fairy tales, and not the sweet, pink-infused ones. But dark, grim stories. Her journal since she was ten has reflected these forbidding and dire tales. Now Tess's real life has mimicked those fairy tales of which she is so fond, where the children so often lose their hands.

With her s
Heather
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is exactly what the author describes - a "Gothic horror fairy tale love story." To me, the story is equal parts The Yellow Wallpaper and The Story of an Hour, with a little bit of the "is this real life?" YouTube kid thrown in. In Tress, one is immediately immersed in the story of the title's heroine. Is she crazy? Are the things she's seeing and experiencing real or do they only exist in her mind? What's the secret the woodsman is keeping from her?

Larissa Brown is an autho
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grim Fairy Tale fans
Shelves: fantasy
4 stars - Short, Grim, and Creative

Tess lives in a seemingly fragile world. The Viking Reenactment camp Tess's sister brings her to morphs fantasy into reality. The woodsman of her dreams and drawings appear. Is he cursed or is she becoming increasing frail of mind?

An imaginative and vivid fairy tale that I became immediately immersed in the fluid storytelling. It's a fine example of the creativitity that can be found in independent publishing. I anticipate more of Larissa Brown's w
Carmen
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author through LoP in exchange for an honest review.

After losing her hand in an accident, Tess struggles as she finds herself edging away from reality and falling into a fantasy world that resembles the grim fairy tales that she’s always loved. Tess travels with her sister, who struggles to accept Tess after the accident, to a medieval reenactment. Tess finds herself drawn to an ominous man that clearly knows her, whether or not she remembers him, where
Claire
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, r2r
Once I could sit and read more than 2 minutes at a time, I wholly fell head first into this book.
Tress and Andr. Cursed and condemned. Fighting throughout time to find each other over and over again, only to end in disappointment and heart ache.
There was always enough intrigue to keep me glued to the page, and once the back story came through I was full in.
(There were points where I was thinking *Is she really actually mental? Is this all figments of her broken mind? Please don't be
Susan Catalano
Shelves: 2015-challenge
This bittersweet fairytale haunts. Larissa Brown's lyrical prose sings its way through the story, weaves itself into your heart, and doesn't let go. Andr's and Tress's story evokes so many feelings, fear, hope, love, loathing, sadness, despair, joy, and possibly some emotions that haven't been invented yet. I haven't decided whether the ending is a happy or sad one, and I love that uncertainty. Tress will be in my head for some time, and that's just fine with me.
Dabney
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-2015-books
Reading this was like falling into the very best sort of dream.

Ms. Brown again dazzles with her phrases and entraps with the dark and yet soul satisfying plot.

I love this story.
Blair
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, ebooks, romance
Dark. Evocative. Warm. Unsettling. Those are the first words that come to mind after I finished this book.

I'm still not sure if Tress is redemptive love story, or the inside view of the main character descending into madness. Maybe it is both? While short, this book feels substantial, like there is more hiding in the shadows that I didn't understand, that I may never understand. But it is a warm horror, and one I imagine I'll return to again. I found myself equally repulsed and drawn
Laura Lough
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you like fairy tales you will love this novella. Its like a fairy tale for grown ups! I like that it embraces some of the darker elements of fairy tales (think original Grimm vs. Disney stories) - it makes the character more "real" and of today's real world. Which makes it even more fantastical when fairy tale stuff starts happening!

The only draw back to this story is that its a short one. Like Larissa Brown's other book - Beautiful Wreck- the writing is beautiful and full of colorful imager
Stephanie
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2-review
Thank you Larissa Brown for the opportunity to read your book. I was given this book in exchange for an honest review LoP (Lovers of Paranormal).

Tress is the story of a woman attempting to discover the truth behind the events, dark fantasy dreams, obsessions that have plagued her life. Tess's world begins to unfold during a re-enactment camp her sister, Gina, thought would assist in bringing her back to reality. Instead Tess is drawn deeper into her fantasy world. As Tess pieces together her li
penny shima glanz
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, scifi-fantasy
Over the past nine months Tress has struggled to recover from the accident which took one of her hands. Her sister invited her for a weekend away at a medieval reenactment. It is here, past the tents, where the line between reality and fantasy blurs and flashback-like episodes of other places and times interrupt her. Echoing sketches from her extensive journals, is Tress drawn into a dark fairy tale world where she must free the woodsman or has her fragile hold on the world slipped completely ou ...more
N.J. Layouni
Shelves: time-travel, keepers
It's no secret that I love Larissa Brown's work. Ever since 'Beautiful Wreck', I've been smitten by her sumptuously colorful and evocative prose. Her ability to blend words, colors, scents, and sounds, never fails to transport this particular reader to a realm far beyond the ordinary.

I'm delighted to report that Larissa's latest venture is just as good as "Wreck." "Tress" a deliciously dark tale worthy of The Brothers Grimm. It's a fairy-tale for grown-ups, part romance, part horror/suspense, p
Yvonne
Shelves: kindle
A strangely creepy fairy tale, in a good way. I love the way Larissa Brown thinks and writes. The multiple layers of this story make you wonder is it a happy fairy tale ending or not? I'll leave that for you to decide. I may have to go back and read it again just to get all the subtle nuances of the story. It is simply a beautiful tale and definitely worth reading.
Annika Barranti Klein
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this lovely novella, nothing is as it seems and danger is all around. The mix of modern language and fairy tale imagery is masterful and the story spooked me but good!
Penny Reid
May 20, 2015 marked it as to-read
I love the cover. ;-)
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and captivating dark fairytale.
OpenBookSociety.com
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scott

Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Scott

Rolling of the page like a fairy tale, eloquent words elucidating a tale of wonder and excitement, Tress is definitely a novella worth the read. The anachronisms are aplenty as one gently slides from the real world to the realm of the enchanted; a gentle blend of modern medicine with its computerized prosthetics, and a firm root in the realm of the surreal realm of the fae, Tress shines in this regard. It’s a tragic tale of the survival an
Sweetp-1
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A dark fairytale reminiscent of Grimm. I loved the interplay between the modern Tess and the fairytale world she finds herself drawn to. It's not "time travel" per se but has that kind of transported to another era feel to it that I really love. Sadly it's a novella and was over much too quickly.
Brown has a lovely way with words and like her previous novel Beautiful Wreck this book is full of evocative imagery and beautiful phrasing.
Ann  Marie
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brown-l, kindle
This book wasn't quite what I was thinking it would be but I enjoyed the story anyway. I think that anyone that enjoyed Beautiful Wreck should read this book as well. It is not the sweeping big love story that Beautiful Wreck was BUT it is a love story and it does take you out of time for a bit.
Mary
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm

This was different from anything I've ever read. A fractured fairy tale. An interesting concept. I'm looking forward to Ms. Brown's next work.
Sanhita
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Just don't know how to describe the book! Scary! Time-travel, of course!
Not un-interesting.
Aug 02, 2016
Vicky Chantarajuti
Nov 02, 2017
Cintia Aleixo
What a lovely story, I just love the way it was told, and how the couple get to know each other
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lovers of Paranor...: R2R {687} Tress OPEN 20 88 Jul 13, 2015 11:39AM
Goodreads Librari...: New cover for Tress 6 21 Apr 13, 2015 05:51PM
Larissa writes epic love stories and creates dramatic designs for hand knitters.

Her first novel, Beautiful Wreck, is a time travel love story set in a fictional 10th century Iceland. So Wild A Dream is a two-book series, set in the same world, which will launch in 2016. Larissa is also the author of the novella Tress, a gothic horror fairytale love story.

She regularly posts