Start by marking “The Reader” as Want to Read:
The Reader

The Reader

Hunted, shot, and without her memory, eighteen-year-old Ann Baker wakes in shallow water on a deserted Pacific Northwest island. She is soon approached by two young men claiming to be her friends. Something isnt right, but when gunshots sound, Ann is left with little choice but to allow Devon and Archer to help her escape. Soon she finds herself in their North Bend ...more
Published August 17th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Reader, please sign up.
Leanne Author originally planned for it to be a stand alone, but she decided to try and write a sequel :)

Start your review of The Reader
Chelsies Crazy4Books
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
The premise for this book hooked me right away. Its about highly evolved humans who can read minds. Our main character Ann might be one of these Readers but after waking up on a beach with no memory shes not sure what to believe. Two guys who claim to be her friend show up and save her from a rain of bullets. Now weak and in danger shes left with little choice but to go with them to their compound.

When she meet the 2 guys, Devon was kind of a jerk and Archer was so nice and charming in
Hedi [ The Dutch Reader ]
I recieved this book from Netgally in return for an honest review

First of all i really liked the cover, it was the thing that drew me to reading this. I went into this with high hopes and really wanted to enjoy it, but it was just so cringy at times and it just fell flat. A predictable romanic plot, love triangle and a boring exposition slowed to story everytime it was mentioned. From the start i knew that The Reader was going to be an exposition heavy book, but im personally not a big fan
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
A young woman wakes up on a beach, a lone, shot and with no memory of being shot or who shot her or why. She doesnt even know who she is or where she came from. But she is lucky in that she is rescued by two young men whom take her back with them to their home deep in the mountains.

She soon learns that the people at the compound where Devon and Archer have taken her know who and what she is. Little by little she finds out her name where she is from and why she is being hunted.

Her name is Ann and
Fabi
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, arc, published-2016
A girl with amnesia, two gorgeous guys vying for her attention, a secret compound and the fate of an entire society resting on her shoulders. That's the premise that sucked me into this PNR novel.

It's a quick read with twists and turns and many reveals. I can't help but wish the characters and the plot were given more time to develop. I was interested but not connected. Still, it was a captivating plot that kept me guessing until the end.

Review ARC graciously provided by the publisher via
Tijuana *Book Twins Reviews*
The Reader by M.K. Harkins is sheer perfection! It has action, intrigue, romance, and an engagingly creative plot. I was riveted by the first chapter and swept away by this imaginative and beautifully written book. I literally stayed up half the night to finish it. I could not put it down until I knew how the story ended. Thankfully, I was not disappointed. It was so worth it (thats saying something; I love my sleep)!

Ill only give a brief summary of the book to avoid ruining this gem for other
BookLoversLife
I finished this about a week ago and I'm still conflicted with my thoughts! I enjoyed some things and was thoroughly annoyed with others!

This starts off with a young girl waking on the beach, with no recollection of who she is, how she got there or why she seemed to have been shot! Next thing she knows, she is approached by two strangers, who explain that they want to help and will explain things when she is safe. She soon realises that things aren't as they seem and that she may not be safe
Melissa Souza
***I received a copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3 stars!!!

I suppose my opinion is going to be quite unpopular for this book. Since, I see that it has received mostly 5 stars. The story starts off with 18 year old Ann Baker who wakes up on a shore with no memory of who she is. She then meets two guys Devon and Archer who take her to this secret compound where she meets a race of newly evolved humans who can read minds. Thus the name "The Reader". We also find find
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
I must say, this book has what most excellent YA books have, and then just that bit extra that makes it absolutely un-put-down-able. I really loved and enjoyed every page. I found it exciting, fun and filled with great intensity.

I loved the main character. She was wise beyond her years, made great, strong decisions. She was able to think for herself and even when she made mistakes, she was diplomatic and cared about fixing things. I liked that she was willing to accept others and work with
Bilabi
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

A total unexpected good read!!

I mean in general the story line of "mind-reading" is a bit underwhelming but Harkins managed to create something very interesting & fun to read. Total page turner, I started reading around 6pm & stayed up till 2am reading (approx. 7hrs).

So Ann's memory has been erased, snippets flashes back here and there throughout the book. The relationship between Ann, Archer & Devin is fun to read. It leaves you wondering whether Archer really has
Isabelle Morebooksthanlivros
review by

cropped-Imbtl.jpg

Incredible; unbelievable; amazing!!!

favorite_thumb-25255B2-25255D

I didn't want him to touch me. Strange things happened when he did. And even though it felt good, it scared me. by Ann

review 1

This is one of those reads that left me speechless and I have no idea what I'm going to say. I totally forgot my English and all I can repeat is how perfect this book was/is.
This was my first book by Ms. Harkins something that I must rectify soon, because I'm convinced nothing that good could have been a fluke. She is
Bibliophile Rose
****I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

description

Loved it!! Loved it!! This the first time I have read Harkins writings and I really loved it!!

The plot:
The Readers, The Seers, and Tha Jacks. All are humans like us but they have powers, The Seers can predicate the future, The Jacks can change thoughts of human minds, and The Readers can read thoughts. A big war happened between them, The jacks were jealous of The Readers and The Seers, because they are immortals, so The Jacks
*Stani*
Feb 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-2019, dnf, netgalley
First and foremost thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a free ARC of this book.

The writing: the story line was very intriguing and it was the reason I requested this book. The writing was mediocre - the descriptive part of the book was pretty good, the dialogues not so much. At times, I wasn't sure who was talking, when there were more than two people involved in the conversation. The dialogue was a bit cringe worthy, but nothing I couldn't get over.

There was a lot
Amy McGlone
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a new kind of paranormal read for me. I can say this book is phenomenal. I haven't read another pnr that reads like this one does.

Shot and left for dead - Ann has no idea who she is. She has no recollection of why she washed up on the beach. And she has no idea who these two guys are that are promising her she is safe and they only want to help her.

"Two Men. One can be trusted, the other not" those are the words swirling in her muddled brain. Soon they are forgotten as she is
Teresa
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.5/5

A thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed the pacing of The Reader. It moves fast because a huge majority is exposition in the guise of dialogue. The main character, Ann, has lost her memory, but the people who find her enlighten her that she is a Reader, someone who can read the minds of other people, just not other readers. They hope she might be The Lost One, a Reader who actually can read the
⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
I will say that this book had a pretty refreshing, interesting concept and I think the author has skills, but the biggest reason why I knocked off two stars was because the book was so short and the plot so boiled down that the author had to rush a lot of things and create a lot of deus ex machina-like situations so things would go the way she wanted.

The first 50% started off nicely with good pacing and details, but as soon as that broadcast aired and Ann fled and all the action-bits began to
Nancy Thompson
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MK Harkins forays into unexpected territory with The Reader, a Young Adult Paranormal Romance. But its more than just a romance. In fact, Id say its equal amounts romance and suspense. While I do read in the genre from time to time, YA/PNR is not my usual go-to book category, but the mystery of The Reader piqued my interest from page one when Ann, the young, female protagonist, wakes up on a beach with a bullet hole and no memory of how it got there or who she even is.

Two young men about her
Erin
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give The Reader by MK Harkins 5 stars.

Ann Baker wakes up on a beach with a gunshot wound and with no idea who she is. She is approached by two men who want to quickly whisk her away, telling her its not safe and she is in great danger. She doesnt really want to go, but what choice does she have? Its not like she has any idea where she lives. She cant even remember her name. Reluctantly she goes with them.

They take her back to their compound, taking care of her wounds and providing her with a
Jenny
I received a free advance digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

First, I wanted to say that I really loved the cover of this book. Maybe it is one of the reason why picked up this book. But I am a little disappointed after a few chapters. I find the story incredibly flat. The exchange of conversation between the characters are a little bit annoying. It feels like I'm reading a rehearsal script. The Romance is so predictable. Although the story has a fast
Maranda
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
No need to start with an intense gruesome scene - Harkins had me smiling and laughing after only a few pages. This is an amazing book!!! I read a lot so I can make a judgement call on this. Quick read and was so glad I started it on Saturday or a call in to work would have been a thought. Could not put it down. Ann has no memory of her life but her rescuers seem to have that insight when they find her on a sandy shore with one shoe and a bullet hole in her shoulder. Devon and Archer jeep Ann to ...more
Angelina
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a typical young adult book and by that I mean it had a lot of cliches...

Like the one meant to be love, the love triangle and the one girl that will save the world.

And I don't have a problem reading these kind of books when they build the world in a way that I won't anticipate every single thing.

One advantage though was that it was very fast paced and easy to read.

My thanks to Netgalley for the e-arc*
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I received a copy of this for review from netgalley.

This was a fun, quick read. I read it in one day, two sittings. The pace was good and the story was interesting enough to pull me into it right away.
Sophie
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Netgalley copy in exchange for a honest review.

Great book, I loved the actions and the characters, as well as the originality of the story!
Dawn West
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, paranormal

This book kept me on my toes!

It isn't often that I find a book that fits into so many different genres, but is so difficult for me to label. There is a small paranormal element here, but I wouldn't necessarily label it as a Paranormal Romance. The setting is futuristic but not really Dystopian or Sci Fi. This is just a great YA book with romance and a hint of mystery.

Ann wakes to find herself in a place she doesn't recognize, injured, and with no recollection of who she is or how she got there.
A. Musquiz
3.5 STARS. I WAS SENT AN E-COPY OF THIS BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.

I thought the characters were very interesting, especially our main character Ann. The struggles that Ann faces throughout the book is getting used to a new environment unlike anything she's ever seen, not remembering how she even got there in the first place or what happened to her parents and why exactly the people she finds herself surrounded by see her as something of a last hope to save their kind.

Not much happens
Karen Harper
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ive read all the books written by MK Harkins, and I have to say, this one is my favourite so far. There are so many things I loved about this book, Im not sure where to start.
First of all, paranormal is my favourite genre, so I was pleased when MK Harkins branched out into this genre. MK has proved herself to be a good storyteller in the contemporary romances she has written, but now she has proved she can transfer this talent to the another genre.
The world the author created didnt exist in a
Maari
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doesn't feel paranormal, rather, true-to-life
Ms. Harkins doesn't write paranormal in the traditional sense, at all! Her characters are just as we are, flawed.. they are 'real', not implausible. She wrote about people and their adversary's, that have special abilities, which I could imagine us, or even people around us, having. This story is enchanting. I became so caught up in it, that my evening flew by, on into the night. This is one of those books, that you will not put down until the ending.
Danielle N
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Clever character evolution and strong world building present a story with elements of paranormal and fantasy while easily managing to convey the humane and realistic side of the heroine and supporting characters. The story is told in a consistent pace that continually moves forward without stalling or lingering on unnecessary details.

Beautifully written, were it not for the love triangle (sorry not a fan very often) and predictability this would have easily been 4 stars for me. I received a
Alysha
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I felt Ann was a true bad ass with a heart of gold. Harkins brought the story alive with her characters and amazing cave like structure, Semara. The plot was strong and stayed consistent throughout.
Ann washes up on shore with no memory of how or why she's there. She has a bullet wound on her shoulder and no memory. Two very attractive young men show up and wisk her away to a new life she begins to love. However, there are things beyond her control that rip here
Francis
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Always a great pleasure to beta read M. K. Harkins books.

As we begin the book, we meet Ann Baker. Being shot and without any memory to recall, she finds herself abandoned on a ditch with two strange boys that claim to be her friends and want to help her. They take her to their compound and explain what they are and what they hope she may be for all of them.

The story develops in such a riveting way that you just cant put it down. With all the twists and turns in the plot, its hard to pin who the
Love  B.
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The concept is incredibly well thought out and so different from anything that I've read.I read it in one sitting! Wow! Also I adored the characters so much! Especially Devon! I.LOVED.HIM. He was such a real and honest character! This story is incredibly original , and really intense! Overall I would say that this is one of the books to watch, and I predict it will be huge!

• Destiny's a Witch (Wicked Good Mystery #1)
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • Choosing a Master (Vampires and the Life of Erin Rose #1)
  • Catching Echoes (Reconstructionist, #1)
  • Stolen Mate (Wild Lake Origins #2)
  • Guardians of Sky and Shadow Box Set: A Reverse Harem Fantasy Trilogy
  • The Year of Four (Phoebe Pope, #1)
  • The Fairer Hex (A Witch Among Warlocks #1)
  • The Dragon and the DreamWalker
  • What Lies Inside (Blood Bound, #1)
  • Alien Attraction (Alien Mate, #2)
  • Midnight Rose (The Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • My Fair Assassin (Paranormal Misfits, #1)
  • Ever Strange
  • The Wolves of Paris
  • Vampire Trouble (Deadly Destiny, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Reapers (Reapers #1)
  • Blood & Holy Water (Angels of Sojourn, #1)
MK has always been a voracious reader. After hitting a dry spell of reading material, she decided to write the kind of book she'd like to read. This resulted in the creation of her debut novel, Intentional. (Award for Best Sweet Romance - eFestival of Words- August 2014)

Unintentional, her second book, is based on the life of one of the characters in Intentional. Unintentional was written as a