Jump to ratings and reviews

Immortal #1

The Reader

Hunted, shot, and without her memory, eighteen-year-old Ann Baker wakes in shallow water on a deserted Pacific Northwest island. She is soon approached by two young men claiming to be her friends. Something isn’t right, but when gunshots sound, Ann is left with little choice but to allow Devon and Archer to help her escape. Soon she finds herself in their North Bend mountain compound, where the higher evolved humans claim to be mind-readers. While Ann heals, she realizes they believe her to be one of the last and most powerful of all – The Lost One.

She’s welcomed by most with opened arms, but not everyone is happy about her arrival. A jealous adversary has plans for Ann, which spirals the entire Reader community into chaos.

As lies, murder, and betrayal threaten to rip apart the once harmonious mountain dwellers, Ann is thrust into making a decision that could save or devastate not only The Readers, but all of mankind. But there’s just one glitch: by doing so it may require her to make the ultimate sacrifice.

260 pages, Paperback

First published August 17, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

M.K. Harkins

10 books532 followers
MK has always been a voracious reader. After hitting a dry spell of reading material, she decided to write the kind of book she'd like to read.

This resulted in the creation of her debut novel, Intentional. (Award for Best Sweet Romance - eFestival of Words- August 2014)

Unintentional, her second book, is based on the life of one of the characters in Intentional. Unintentional was written as a stand-alone book.

Breaking Braydon, Taking Tiffany, The Reader, The Jack, and Famous by Default have all been released on Amazon.

Ashes, the first book in a new series of modern-day fairy tale retellings, releases in May 2022. (Five more books in the series to follow)

When she's not writing novels, she likes to spend her free time traveling the world, splashing in mud puddles (She lives in Seattle, what can she say?), watching movies and reading (!)

She LOVES to hear from her readers!

mkharkins@hotmail.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
78 (6%)
1 star
24 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 370 reviews
Profile Image for Chelsies Reading Escape.
631 reviews362 followers
July 5, 2017
The premise for this book hooked me right away. Its about highly evolved humans who can read minds. Our main character Ann might be one of these Readers but after waking up on a beach with no memory shes not sure what to believe. Two guys who claim to be her friend show up and save her from a rain of bullets. Now weak and in danger shes left with little choice but to go with them to their compound.

When she meet the 2 guys, Devon was kind of a jerk and Archer was so nice and charming in comparison I just couldnt help but root for him. It was funny how Devon kept pretending he wasnt interested in Ann but he would always interfere when Archer would get too close to her. It frustrated me that they wouldnt anwser all her questions before taking her to the compound or even once they got there. Thankfully this was resolved in a satisfying way when they finally stopped hiding things from her.

I really loved Devon sister Lucy. I wish we could have seen a bit more of her developpement but being a short book I was ok with what I got. Doc was someone I trusted right away but I felt like he just disapeared and we didnt hear from him again. It was entertaining to read about Susie the crazy jealous rival. I didnt understand why Ann wouldnt tell anyone when Susie threatened her. I know I would have said something. The lies, murder and betrayal were all very captivating. I couldnt put it down and pretty much read it in a day.

This was an intense story with some enjoyable twists. Even though I was able to predict most of them it was still a whole lot of fun. I never thought the author would be able to pack so much in 250 pages. This was a fast pace thrill ride that litterally left me breathless. We get so much action, heart wrenching moments and interesting characters. I was really surprise how well it all wrapped up but I still want more books in this world. I will definitely keep a look out for any future books from this author.

*Received my copy from Netgalley in exchange from an honest review*
Profile Image for Hedi.
312 reviews33 followers
February 24, 2017
I recieved this book from Netgally in return for an honest review

First of all i really liked the cover, it was the thing that drew me to reading this. I went into this with high hopes and really wanted to enjoy it, but it was just so cringy at times and it just fell flat. A predictable romanic plot, love triangle and a boring exposition slowed to story everytime it was mentioned. From the start i knew that The Reader was going to be an exposition heavy book, but im personally not a big fan of heavy exposition when it is being trown at the reader all at once. It let me to boredom and i scimt the last 30 or so pages because i wanted it to be over. With that said, i understand that urban fantasy stories need exposition to explain their world and how things work, and dowing that through a character with amnesia is a really good idea.. if it was well exacuted. The rules of the world they live in were simply dropped on the reader all at once, making the novel slow and boring... and cringy at times.

As for the love triangle , it was a little of putting at times. It felt so predictable and made no sence for me. Also how the character of Susie was introduced, it made me cringe so hard it made me laugh out loud. About half way through to story it got interesting because i thought there was something going to happen that was different and unpredictable than other books i read ( which looked alot like this story sometimes).. but it was fals hope that immediatley went back to the predictable love plot that was there before. The book was enjoyable through its main Character Ann . She was actually a proactive character, she wanted to find out about her parents and the world around her as for her powers even if the other readers didn't want to help her right away. I really liked her and she added to the novel. Sadly for the rest of the book, i had checked out of the story at the end which made me scims the last few chapters.

Overall, i really wanted to enjoy The Reader, but i just didn't... The exposistion really slowed down the story which resulted in that the last few chapters were really rushed to finish the book... The battle that they are talking about the whole time... IT DIDN'T EVEN HAPPEN!! a really big let down. The romanitc plot had potential, but was just a bit off putting because of the cringy Susie and the predictable love traingle. Ann was a interesting character that brought life to the story, but it wasn't enough for me to save the story. I would recommend The Reader to beginning readers of YA, it sometimes reminded me of middle grade and that why i think younger reader would really like this book.. As for readers my age, i don't think personally that this is a book for you, but hey.. who am i to judge.
Profile Image for Fabi.
1,009 reviews143 followers
November 27, 2018
A girl with amnesia, two gorgeous guys vying for her attention, a secret compound and the fate of an entire society resting on her shoulders. That's the premise that sucked me into this PNR novel.

It's a quick read with twists and turns and many reveals. I can't help but wish the characters and the plot were given more time to develop. I was interested but not connected. Still, it was a captivating plot that kept me guessing until the end.

Review ARC graciously provided by the publisher via NetGalley
Profile Image for TJ *Book Twins Reviews*.
1,049 reviews2,409 followers
September 4, 2016
The Reader by M.K. Harkins is sheer perfection! It has action, intrigue, romance, and an engagingly creative plot. I was riveted by the first chapter and swept away by this imaginative and beautifully written book. I literally stayed up half the night to finish it. I could not put it down until I knew how the story ended. Thankfully, I was not disappointed. It was so worth it (that’s saying something; I love my sleep)!

I’ll only give a brief summary of the book to avoid ruining this gem for other readers. Ann Baker wakes up on a beach injured and with no memory of who she is. She’s approached by two men, Archer and Devon, who appear to be her age. They explain they’ve been sent to help her and don’t want to cause her any harm. She consents and the three of them set out to journey safely home. While traveling, Ann asks several questions about the two men and how they came to find her. They refuse to answer her questions. She knows they’re something more going on, but with no memory and convinced they mean her no harm she relents and tries to hold off her questioning until she’s been checked over by their doctor. Once they reach Archer and Devon’s home, which turns out to be a compound, Ann learns that they believe she is the Lost One, a Reader (mind reader) so powerful she’s fated to save a race of people. That’s when the fun truly begins!!

The characters in this book are all top notch. Ann is a truly fascinating character. She’s injured and vulnerable, but also very strong and extremely quick witted. Her inquisitive nature and internal dialogue were a treat to read. Archer and Devon are also very engaging characters. They’re strong, protective, and handsome. Each of the main characters are well developed as more information is shared about their backgrounds.

Harkins has created a new world in The Reader and weaves such a beautiful tale. Her treatment of words and books in this story demonstrates that she has a true passion not only for the story she’s telling, but for words themselves. I haven’t loved a book merely for the imaginative story and word weaving in a long while. She is truly a master story-teller. I’m utterly fascinated by this new-to-me author now and can’t wait to read more of her works.

Overall, this is a fantastic story. It’s imaginative and witty. The pace is great and the characters are fleshed out. I highly recommend it!
Profile Image for Nancy (The Avid Reader).
2,324 reviews102 followers
August 18, 2016
A young woman wakes up on a beach, a lone, shot and with no memory of being shot or who shot her or why. She doesn’t even know who she is or where she came from. But she is lucky in that she is rescued by two young men whom take her back with them to their home deep in the mountains.

She soon learns that the people at the compound where Devon and Archer have taken her know who and what she is. Little by little she finds out her name where she is from and why she is being hunted.

Her name is Ann and she soon figures out that something or someone in the compound is just not quite right if only she could put her finger on it. Someone will soon betray her. Even though she can’t remember anything she still has a soft, kind heart and will do whatever it takes to keep the people she loves and cares for safe.

The Reader was a fast and enjoyable read it grabbed me right from the first page and never let go right up until the end. I loved all the characters and the world that they lived in. Ann was one tough cookie who could fight as well or better than any man. I would love to read more about Ann, Devon, Lucy and Archer and of their lives now after everything they have been through.

There are a few characters that I would like to hear their side of the story and why they did the things they did. I would also like to know more about Ann, Devon, Lucy and Archer’s lives before. If you have not read The Reader then I would like to suggest that you do as well that is if you like a story filled with suspense, intrigue and lots of twist and turns then you will love The Reader I know I did.
Profile Image for BookLoversLife.
1,801 reviews9 followers
February 5, 2017
I finished this about a week ago and I'm still conflicted with my thoughts! I enjoyed some things and was thoroughly annoyed with others!

This starts off with a young girl waking on the beach, with no recollection of who she is, how she got there or why she seemed to have been shot! Next thing she knows, she is approached by two strangers, who explain that they want to help and will explain things when she is safe. She soon realises that things aren't as they seem and that she may not be safe after all!

This started out strong, I was intrigued to see who the young girl was and why she had lost her memory but then it hit something that immediately annoyed me!! Ann meets Devon and Archer and of course, she has a connection with, not just one!! But both!! I wanted to put the book aside right there as I hate insta love and hate love triangles, but I was intrigued enough with the world to keep going.

One thing I really liked about this was the world. I liked the 2 different types of people, the readers who can read minds and the jacks who hijack other bodies. We also had Seers, but they were wiped out. The Readers are hiding out from the Hijackers, but long ago the Seers predicted that a special Reader would come who would unite everyone. And I bet you can't guess who this special Reader is.... yep, Ann!

Anyway, what follows was an enjoyable read but I did feel like the whole plot was rushed at times! Everything seemed to happen and resolve rather quickly and I felt like Ann didn't really contribute that much to it. The whole story arc revolved around her and her life, but I felt like she never did much to help or her character didn't get a chance to shine. Also, the ending was.... odd. I'm not going to say anything about it but I found it to be hurried and a bit of a let down.

In all, this was an OK read. I'm not sure if it's going to be a series or not but if it does, I hope Ann grows as a character!

Emily Kleimo did a good job of narrating Ann, but overall I felt like she only read the story and didn't perform it. There were a good few different characters but I found that the narrator didn't have a lot of different tones. I think with practice she could be really really good!!

*I received this for free but voluntarily reviewed it. This in no way affected nor influenced my thoughts.*
Profile Image for Melissa Souza.
185 reviews50 followers
September 8, 2016
***I received a copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3 stars!!!

I suppose my opinion is going to be quite unpopular for this book. Since, I see that it has received mostly 5 stars. The story starts off with 18 year old Ann Baker who wakes up on a shore with no memory of who she is. She then meets two guys Devon and Archer who take her to this secret compound where she meets a race of newly evolved humans who can read minds. Thus the name "The Reader". We also find find out that there is a war which is on-going between the "readers" and the "jacks" (who have the ability to hijack someone's body) with Ann possibly being the solution they have been waiting for.

The worldbuilding and concept was quite unique. I liked the idea of genetically evolved humans with special abilities. But, somehow I felt the story was a bit rushed. Ann was a great character. I liked her sarcasm and her fierceness. She is also quite selfless. But this didn't help with the broader arc of the story. We don't see much character development. Situations arise and are resolved quite quickly. I wouldn't say there were plot holes but I feel this book would have benefited from being part of a series. We would have a got a greater understanding of how this new world that the author has built works as well as a deeper sense of the characters and the roles they each play.

This book also has a whole lot of romance. But I found it lacked depth. There was like a weird love geometry going on which didn't make a whole of sense. I won't most spoilers here because it involves quite a bit of the plot. But it didn't give me any feels.

The plots and twists were interesting enough but as I said the rushed pacing hurt the story in this regard. The ending especially was quite poorly constructed. I guess since the author wanted this to be a standalone, they tried to wrap up things quite quickly. But I was left dissatisfied. The ending was just meh (to be expected).

Anyway, besides this, the story was okay for a quick read. If you are looking for something to pass your day, you can pick this one up. It might not blow you out of the water, but it's a pleasant read.
Profile Image for Naturalbri (Bri Wignall).
836 reviews89 followers
September 2, 2016
I must say, this book has what most excellent YA books have, and then just that bit extra that makes it absolutely un-put-down-able. I really loved and enjoyed every page. I found it exciting, fun and filled with great intensity.

I loved the main character. She was wise beyond her years, made great, strong decisions. She was able to think for herself and even when she made mistakes, she was diplomatic and cared about fixing things. I liked that she was willing to accept others and work with those she was brought in by. The intensity of the group she was introduced to really made a lot of the story as well. She had the mixture of those who wanted her and believed in The Lost One, and those who despised her, and made her work to win them over, just as herself.

The action and rift amongst the people created a lot of emotion and interesting turns, in the story. Plus, her background, with having been left and what was coming next, really made it exciting to follow.

I liked the pace, as it moved well with the story that was being told. We were given time and space, when needed, to get to know the people, but also rushed about when things got crazy.

Overall, this was an excellent read, for YA's and adults alike. I highly recommend it.

**I received this book for free in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.
Profile Image for Bilabi.
78 reviews52 followers
September 7, 2016
4.5 Stars

A total unexpected good read!!

I mean in general the story line of "mind-reading" is a bit underwhelming but Harkins managed to create something very interesting & fun to read. Total page turner, I started reading around 6pm & stayed up till 2am reading (approx. 7hrs).

So Ann's memory has been erased, snippets flashes back here and there throughout the book. The relationship between Ann, Archer & Devin is fun to read. It leaves you wondering whether Archer really has feelings for Ann or not, and what does Devin feel for Ann?! There were moments where you're left feeling "OMG, that's so sweeeeet" and making you wana cheer Archer on "GO KISS HER!!!"

Why not a full 5 Star?

Fortunately it has a beautiful HEA!!! I wud've killed someone or thing if it ended any other way.

Profile Image for Isabelle MBTL .
748 reviews58 followers
review by

cropped-Imbtl.jpg

Incredible; unbelievable; amazing!!!

favorite_thumb-25255B2-25255D

I didn't want him to touch me. Strange things happened when he did. And even though it felt good, it scared me. by Ann

review 1

This is one of those reads that left me speechless and I have no idea what I'm going to say. I totally forgot my English and all I can repeat is how perfect this book was/is.
This was my first book by Ms. Harkins something that I must rectify soon, because I'm convinced nothing that good could have been a fluke. She is amazing and I'm certain that I will love everything she writes.
This book is so creative, so beyond anything I could have ever imagined, that I have no idea how to explain it. All I can say is that it worked! All crazy ideas have been combined to an out-of-the-body experience. Wow!
The plot is perfect! It's fast-paced, kept me guessing, and I've ended wanting more. There are no mistakes that I can remember, everything has been cohesively written and there are no weak points. A piece-of-art!
Ann is an amazing heroine, really she is splendid! She is a kick-ass heroine, so strong, at the same time vulnerable. She has been dealt some bad stuff in life and she thrives above everything and comes out even better. She is easy to love, connect and relate.
The hero, whom I won't name, is impeccable (I really want to say perfect, but I will try not to bored you to death). He is the right balance of hard and sweet. He is hot, thoughtful without being too much. He is the alpha type but he loves when his girl comes out stronger than him. Yeah, fairy tale prince with a twist.
The antagonists, you are not really sure who they are. The author is crazy good like that.
The secondary characters are wonderful too. I know this is a stand-alone, but I'm dying to read Lucy's and even the man-that-I-won't-name books.
The romance is heartfelt, loving, sweet, cute, beautiful. I've totally loved how it has evolved. Superb! :) I really wanted to say perfect!
Today was a crazy day at my work, I had so much to do, and I did complicated myself a bit because I couldn't stop reading this book. In fact, I totally lost track of the time and only finish working three hours later that I should have. This is how addictive this book was! Really! I could start it over right now, and I think I would still be amazed and happy and sad and with all these crazy emotions!!!
The author has masterfully written this book that every time I had something pegged a new twist would come and BOOM!

The Lost One is a mix of all three races. Whoever it turns out to be, they'll be able to read minds, implant their thoughts into others, and see the future. by Lucy

Review 2

Ah! If this was any better I would be on my way to divorce, without any patients at the clinic and with my kids hating me. Really, I'm lucky that my family/friends/patients understand that the PERFECT book turns me into mad-forgetful-woman!
Ok! One not so amazing thing... I always say that my reading journey starts with an amazing title and a wonderful cover. I don't think I would have bought this book only by its cover. I wouldn't have chosen to read it, without the blurb. But after I've finished the book, I can totally see and understand the cover. So, it grows on you and I can totally see Ann.

I sacrificed my happiness for hers. Painful, but worth it. I saved her life, but it was she who really saved mine. by "the man-that-I-won't-name"

You MAY buy this book because you like the author; you SHOULD buy this book because you love a good romantic paranormal read; but you MUST READ this because is PERFECT!!!
This review was originally posted on More Books Than Livros
Profile Image for Bibliophile Rose.
166 reviews104 followers
November 2, 2016
****I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

description

Loved it!! Loved it!! This the first time I have read Harkins writings and I really loved it!!

The plot:
The Readers, The Seers, and Tha Jacks. All are humans like us but they have powers, The Seers can predicate the future, The Jacks can change thoughts of human minds, and The Readers can read thoughts. A big war happened between them, The jacks were jealous of The Readers and The Seers, because they are immortals, so The Jacks killed all The Seers.

Ann, The eighteen years old was found on the beach by two young men. They claimed that they were her friends, and when she heard gunshots, Ann didn't have the time to choose what to do. Archer and Devon took care of her and brought her to her home where all The Readers live. At the beginning, it felt strange to her than all welcomed her, then she realized that they believe she's the most powerful Reader- The Lost one.

The characters:

Ann:
The powerful Reader. She's kickass, funny, and loveable. I loved this character.

Devon:
Ugh!! Loved it, He's so mysterious, badass, careful. I can't find the words to describe him. I'm in love with him.

Archer:
Well, I didn't expect that from him, he seemed friendly loveable and funny. Okay, I'm gonna talk more about it in my opinion .

Lucy:
She's so sweet, also powerful, and kind loved her so much.

My opinion:

I really loved this book, and can't wait to read more of it, I CAN'T!!!!
Profile Image for *Stani*.
317 reviews50 followers
February 18, 2019
First and foremost thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a free ARC of this book.

The writing: the story line was very intriguing and it was the reason I requested this book. The writing was mediocre - the descriptive part of the book was pretty good, the dialogues not so much. At times, I wasn't sure who was talking, when there were more than two people involved in the conversation. The dialogue was a bit cringe worthy, but nothing I couldn't get over.

There was a lot of info dump in parts, instead of getting information by showing, not by telling, but also nothing I haven't ran into before.

The biggest issue for me was the main character, Ann. She wakes up on the beach with a bullet hole in her arm. Someone is after her and she has amnesia. So far so good. She is taken by two hot guys - one nice and one grumpy to safety of their compound inside a mountain. They are part of special "humans" who are called the Readers - they can read minds. Still pretty good.

Then Ann decides to freak about how everybody in this compound is extremely good looking and pretty much a super model. OK, a bit odd, but I go with it. AND THEN SHE ASSUMES THAT SHE IS UGLY or PLAIN or SIMPLE looking???? What in the freaking hell?

Aaaaaand at this point I am out and done with this book.

I don't have an issue with a person (girl or a boy), who feel like they have appearance issues. I have been there when I was a teenager. I had zits and my father would remind me every single day, why was my skin looking so terrible and why wasn't I doing anything about it (clearly, he never heard of puberty, but oh well). But why would the writer make a girl ASSUME about herself that she is ugly or plain? She has amnesia. She can be looking like a Victoria Secret model and yet she believes that she is this plain looking thing among hot people? COME ON! That is, to me, straight up insulting.

And I am not wasting my time with a character like that.

Profile Image for Amy McGlone.
147 reviews23 followers
May 8, 2016
This was a new kind of paranormal read for me. I can say this book is phenomenal. I haven't read another pnr that reads like this one does.

Shot and left for dead - Ann has no idea who she is. She has no recollection of why she washed up on the beach. And she has no idea who these two guys are that are promising her she is safe and they only want to help her.

"Two Men. One can be trusted, the other not" those are the words swirling in her muddled brain. Soon they are forgotten as she is completely immersed into a new strange world in which she is a Reader. In this new world, Ann is sucked into a battle between good and evil and there's no clear picture on who the victor is going to be. She must decide who is trustworthy. Who is out for themselves. And which man will be the one to win her heart.

MK Harkins - if you love love love PNR you will absolute adore this book. One thing that I particularly loved was the lack of sex. This is a YA pnr. There was no pressure between the characters, I was able to focus on the storyline itself. Which was wonderful. Frankly, my daughter loves to read, she's 10, I can't wait for her to read this book!!
Profile Image for Teresa.
Author 4 books76 followers
January 21, 2019
3.5/5

A thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed the pacing of The Reader. It moves fast because a huge majority is exposition in the guise of dialogue. The main character, Ann, has lost her memory, but the people who find her enlighten her that she is a Reader, someone who can read the minds of other people, just not other readers. They hope she might be The Lost One, a Reader who actually can read the minds of readers and will find her soul-mate among four who are destined.

While the dialogue makes the story go very quickly, like I said, exposition in its guise. Everything about the world and the way this paranormal Reader power works, their history–everything is told through dialogue by one of the characters to Ann. We hardly get her internal thoughts and there is very little in traditional exposition in detailing setting, but it’s still easy enough to paint a picture of the facility and the characters in my head. Or maybe I’m just making them look how I want them to? 🙂

The ease of reading is enough to have me interested in book two, but so is the cover of book two. The covers themselves are rather aesthetically pleasing as well.

As the reader (not the character, but you who reads the book) gets acquainted with the world through the first half of the book, the second half is more action-filled, but still chock full of explanations through the use of dialogue. There are a number of scenes and ideas that could have been expanded upon. Originally being a stand-alone piece, there are too many questions and a lackluster climax left with the reader. But since there is actually a sequel, perhaps these ideas will be explored further. The end was a bit predictable because of Ann’s visions, and even slightly off-putting because it happened so quickly, a place that could have been approached in a different way or extended.

All in all, an enjoyable, quick read that has me interested in future installments, a book I’d recommend to teens.
Profile Image for Maddie.
956 reviews133 followers
March 22, 2021
This was fun! Jumped straight into the action, and it was nothing complicated, but had a good amount of twists, and the writing style kept me going. I found I read this one very quick because of the length and how much I got sucked in. One of the better books I've read this month so far!
Profile Image for ⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆.
560 reviews195 followers
September 24, 2016
I will say that this book had a pretty refreshing, interesting concept and I think the author has skills, but the biggest reason why I knocked off two stars was because the book was so short and the plot so boiled down that the author had to rush a lot of things and create a lot of deus ex machina-like situations so things would go the way she wanted.

The first 50% started off nicely with good pacing and details, but as soon as that broadcast aired and Ann fled and all the action-bits began to happen, I felt like the quality of the book went downhill. So little was spent towards what was supposed to be this grand war from an old prophecy with soulmates and what not. In reality it was like a 12 hour endeavor for Special Snowflake Girl If the last 50% was going this route, it would have served her better to have made the first 50% go faster so more room could have been dedicated to the most important points of the plot and not just have a lot of wandering around the complex asking questions and getting medical attention.

The romance and action and major points of the plot were just not given the time and elaboration they needed; were in love after a single kiss because soulmates, like yes that TECHNICALLY explains it but god is it not really fun to read about people who magically and instantly fall in love and there's no build up, no exploration of the feelings. And the mechanics of the story were... too convenient, so a lot of the things that happened read funny and made me think "yeah right, there's no way."

Now, I don't think this was a bad book despite my criticisms of its plot development since the writing was sound and the author clearly has good ideas. It's just that this execution of that idea didn't work for me; it wasn't as elaborate and complex as I wanted it to be, so I'm left feeling disappointed by the potential for something not having come to it's full fruition.

A reader who prefers more straightforward and simplified plots would like this book; it's short and a quick, easy read that delivers an interesting enough tale. It just wasn't for me personally.
Profile Image for Nancy Thompson.
Author 4 books278 followers
August 15, 2016
MK Harkins forays into unexpected territory with The Reader, a Young Adult Paranormal Romance. But it’s more than just a romance. In fact, I’d say it’s equal amounts romance and suspense. While I do read in the genre from time to time, YA/PNR is not my usual go-to book category, but the mystery of The Reader piqued my interest from page one when Ann, the young, female protagonist, wakes up on a beach with a bullet hole and no memory of how it got there or who she even is.

Two young men about her age, Devon and Archer, find and rescue her by taking Ann to their mountain compound, where Ann meets people she never dreamed existed. Turns out, there’s a lot to learn about this new group of friends and how Ann fits into their unique society, not to mention the great risk they’re all under, especially with Ann now in their midst.

Harkins does an outstanding job of creating the extraordinary world of The Readers and their arch nemeses, The Jacks, two opposing groups with highly-evolved supernatural talents, without becoming bogged down in overblown details. In fact, while The Readers are definitely superhuman with their psychic abilities, they don’t feel other-worldly, which, to me, is a plus. I like characters who are flawed and feel real, and Harkins pulls it off perfectly.

For the romance lovers, there’s an ongoing push-and-pull between Ann, Devon, and Archer, but it’s not a typical love triangle. It’s more of a “who-is-my-destiny” sort of thing, with the chemistry from both suitors being off the chart. But all is not as it seems, which is where the suspense comes in. There’s no way of telling anymore without giving too much away.

You’ll love the characters, especially Ann, who is smart, feisty, and curious. All the characters feel real and down-to-earth; no too-far-fetched, whiny teenagers to make you roll your eyes. And while the story is engaging, it’s not too long or at all overwritten with silly, romantic platitudes. It’s sweet and clean and captivating all at once, with enough suspense and drama to keep you intrigued and turning pages late into the night. You definitely will not be putting this one down, not until the very satisfying end!
Profile Image for Erin.
714 reviews2 followers
September 15, 2016
I give The Reader by MK Harkins 5 stars.

Ann Baker wakes up on a beach with a gunshot wound and with no idea who she is. She is approached by two men who want to quickly whisk her away, telling her it’s not safe and she is in great danger. She doesn’t really want to go, but what choice does she have? It’s not like she has any idea where she lives. She can’t even remember her name. Reluctantly she goes with them.

They take her back to their compound, taking care of her wounds and providing her with a place to stay. But everything seems a little too perfect. Turns out all of these people have special abilities, they call themselves Readers and they claim they can read minds. Not only that, but they believe she is “the chosen one” and can save their race in a predicted war.

This is all a little too much for a girl who can’t remember a single thing. Can all this craziness be true? And if so, can she really be the one who can save them?

Throw into this is the two men who obviously think they are each her perfect mate, a jealous rival who thinks the men are hers, and the bad guys who want Ann just as badly on her side, can she handle it all?

I loved this book! First off, let me state that I am far from a young adult anymore and some of the YA genre has a little too much teen angst for me personally. This book has none of that. It is simply YA because of the ages and the lack of heavy violence or sex. The characters were very well done and I was immersed into the story right away. I wanted so much more and am disappointed that it seems to a stand alone. Please give me more of this world Ms. Harkins!
Profile Image for Maranda.
930 reviews33 followers
August 28, 2016
No need to start with an intense gruesome scene - Harkins had me smiling and laughing after only a few pages. This is an amazing book!!! I read a lot so I can make a judgement call on this. Quick read and was so glad I started it on Saturday or a call in to work would have been a thought. Could not put it down. Ann has no memory of her life but her rescuers seem to have that insight when they find her on a sandy shore with one shoe and a bullet hole in her shoulder. Devon and Archer jeep Ann to their hidden mountain compound. Everything after that is like AHHHHHH and REALLY Unbelievable! Given this opportunity to read and review by publisher and author via Netgalley. Get started reading this it is fantastic.
Profile Image for Jenny.
444 reviews17 followers
September 23, 2016
I received a free advance digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

First, I wanted to say that I really loved the cover of this book. Maybe it is one of the reason why picked up this book. But I am a little disappointed after a few chapters. I find the story incredibly flat. The exchange of conversation between the characters are a little bit annoying. It feels like I'm reading a rehearsal script. The Romance is so predictable. Although the story has a fast paced plot, it just didn't hyped me up the way I expected it to. And after finishing it, I felt like the ending was poorly constructed.

But anyway, this book is still good to try. It may not be too good for my liking but it has fast paced story.
Profile Image for Angelina.
108 reviews37 followers
December 5, 2016
This is a typical young adult book and by that I mean it had a lot of cliches...

Like the one meant to be love, the love triangle and the one girl that will save the world.

And I don't have a problem reading these kind of books when they build the world in a way that I won't anticipate every single thing.

One advantage though was that it was very fast paced and easy to read.

My thanks to Netgalley for the e-arc*
Profile Image for Sophie.
274 reviews
August 27, 2016
Netgalley copy in exchange for a honest review.

Great book, I loved the actions and the characters, as well as the originality of the story!
Profile Image for Dawn West.
538 reviews42 followers
October 27, 2016

This book kept me on my toes!

It isn't often that I find a book that fits into so many different genres, but is so difficult for me to label. There is a small paranormal element here, but I wouldn't necessarily label it as a Paranormal Romance. The setting is futuristic but not really Dystopian or Sci Fi. This is just a great YA book with romance and a hint of mystery.

Ann wakes to find herself in a place she doesn't recognize, injured, and with no recollection of who she is or how she got there. She can't even remember what she looks like. Or her name. But before she can sort through her hazy mind to figure out how she got there, two young men come to her rescue.

Archer is the friendlier one, smiling and attentive. Derek is aloof and restricting of the information he shares with Ann. Yet, Ann cannot help but feel a strange attraction to the moody Derek as they flee to safety and try to help Ann to discover her true identity and purpose in the new world.

I went back and forth between who I liked more for Ann. In the end, her future was already pre-determined and we caught little clues as to who her intended partner would be throughout the story. I will say that I was definitely right in my prediction of who she would end up with. Points for me! However, I was stunned by the betrayal of another so I guess my points are lost in the end...

But the romance is only one part of this story. Ann's existence is both a blessing and a curse as she is wanted by the enemy and they will do anything to get their hands on her. Kidnapping, murder, and betrayal are only the beginning as we learn that not everyone is who they seem and sometimes it will take a great sacrifice to save the ones we love.

In closing...
I almost wish that this book was part of a series because I wanted it to keep going. But it was a fun and quick read! Four suns!

Full review on blog: http://uptildawnbookblog.blogspot.com/2016/10/review-reader-by-mk-harkins.html
Profile Image for A. Musquiz.
Author 1 book16 followers
August 27, 2016
3.5 STARS. I WAS SENT AN E-COPY OF THIS BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.

I thought the characters were very interesting, especially our main character Ann. The struggles that Ann faces throughout the book is getting used to a new environment unlike anything she's ever seen, not remembering how she even got there in the first place or what happened to her parents and why exactly the people she finds herself surrounded by see her as something of a last hope to save their kind.

Not much happens throughout the book but it was still really interesting to read because of the unique world and the conflict The Readers face against the other groups The Seers and The Jacks. I would have liked a little more detail as to how the groups came to be but what I got gave me enough information to get the gist of everything without lingering too long on the history or being info-dumpy.

The book had a steady pace without being too slow or too fast to keep up with. I think if you're looking for a sci-fi read that isn't too much to wrap your brain around, I would highly recommend this one. There was a little bit of mystery mixed in with a dash of romance, action, secrets and revelations that blended quite well and I think the book has a little something for everyone to enjoy no matter the age or gender.

I think the only problem I had with this book was simply that I couldn't connect with any of the characters quite enough. I didn't think Ann was a boring character but she was a little bland and while she had nice character development, some of the choices she made had her taking a couple of steps backward from that development.

The ending was a bit rushed which was a little bit of a let down since it had a nice pace throughout the book but really skipped forward a little too fast. I think it could've used a couple of more chapters to come down from the climax and wrap up the book.
Profile Image for Coco.V.
48.4k reviews4 followers
Want to read
September 13, 2018
💝FREE on Amazon today (9/13/18)!💝

Blurb:

Profile Image for Karen Harper.
383 reviews
August 30, 2016
I’ve read all the books written by MK Harkins, and I have to say, this one is my favourite so far. There are so many things I loved about this book, I’m not sure where to start.
First of all, paranormal is my favourite genre, so I was pleased when MK Harkins branched out into this genre. MK has proved herself to be a good storyteller in the contemporary romances she has written, but now she has proved she can transfer this talent to the another genre.
The world the author created didn’t exist in a paranormal world, but existed within our world. I still haven’t decided if this was clever or just plain scary. I had lots of OMG moments when the two worlds collided.
The book was full of characters I loved, some I hated and even some I was conflicted about. The story definitely wasn’t predictable and I wasn’t sure how it would end until I reached the last few pages. I hope this author will continue to write books in this genre.
Profile Image for Maari.
462 reviews
August 25, 2016
Doesn't feel paranormal, rather, true-to-life
Ms. Harkins doesn't write paranormal in the traditional sense, at all! Her characters are just as we are, flawed.. they are 'real', not implausible. She wrote about people and their adversary's, that have special abilities, which I could imagine us, or even people around us, having. This story is enchanting. I became so caught up in it, that my evening flew by, on into the night. This is one of those books, that you will not put down until the ending. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a good suspense read, without all of the intensity. Also, don't let that this book has been placed in the paranormal category.. Ms. Harkins will convince you that what she writes is like no other in any genre that she is placed in.
Profile Image for Dani N.
445 reviews61 followers
September 3, 2016
Clever character evolution and strong world building present a story with elements of paranormal and fantasy while easily managing to convey the humane and realistic side of the heroine and supporting characters. The story is told in a consistent pace that continually moves forward without stalling or lingering on unnecessary details.

Beautifully written, were it not for the love triangle (sorry not a fan very often) and predictability this would have easily been 4 stars for me. I received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you NetGalley.

Full review here.
Profile Image for Alysha.
17 reviews5 followers
September 2, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I felt Ann was a true bad ass with a heart of gold. Harkins brought the story alive with her characters and amazing cave like structure, Semara. The plot was strong and stayed consistent throughout.
Ann washes up on shore with no memory of how or why she's there. She has a bullet wound on her shoulder and no memory. Two very attractive young men show up and wisk her away to a new life she begins to love. However, there are things beyond her control that rip here away from her new sense of security. She has a prophet to fulfill that rips her heart out. I highly recommend this book!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 370 reviews