Start by marking “Fabled” as Want to Read:
Fabled

Fabled

Rowena thinks the Grimm’s infamous podcasts are simply another teen fad until she finds herself trapped in a land of nightmarish storybook characters. She tries desperately to flee Mezzanine and return home, but Dresdem, Mezzanine’s wicked monarch, plans to use Rowena’s access to her world to bring dark magic and absolute rule into Georgia and beyond.

But when Rowena’s
Published May 5th 2015 by Bound & Brewed

Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,378 voters
Beautiful Sacrifice by Jamie McGuireNever Never by Colleen HooverA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasThe Heir by Kiera CassEnd of Days by Susan Ee
May 2015 Releases
101 books — 377 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Fabled
Bound & Brewed
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Not all fairy tales are friendly."

FABLED is an extraordinary adventure into another world that is similar to ours but with two remarkable differences -- In Mezzanine, time doesn't exist but dark magic does. Rowena meets fairy tale characters, who are outrageously different than we remember and much more dangerous. Her shy, introverted nature must morph into strength when her life and the life of her friends are at risk. Sacrifice may be required, and love may be lost. But maybe -- just maybe
Justin D. Herd
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Take on Fairy Tales

Vanessa Eccles's Fabled is an interesting spin on fairytales of old, giving readers a new world where elements of all these stories blend together into something wholly different, but familiar.

Rowena is an average eighteen-year-old girl until she finds herself trapped in the magical world of Mezzanine. There she becomes a house servant to the Tresels and attracts the attention of the Royals, becoming instrumental in their plans to reunite Terra and Mezzanine once more.

Kathy Bruce
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so amazing. It will catch you at the beginning, and you won't want to put it down! This book will make a great movie with all the special effects. Gotta have a sequel because it can't be an end to such a great read! A Must Read!
Kristin
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story opens with an 18-year old girl, Rowena, getting ready for a costume party with her boyfriend. While at the party, she follows her younger sister into the forest. Rowena doesn’t find her sister, but instead finds herself falling into a deep, dark hole in the ground.

Rowena follows the path which transforms into another world: Mezzanine. It’s here she meets a young looking man, Chester. But the world isn’t as it seems to be. Hunted by a boy and a girl who they catch Rowena, drug her and
Cathrina Constantine
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the title of this book: FABLED! And the author, Vanessa K. Eccles spun a brilliant fable. The main character, Rowena falls down a hole into a strange land called Mezzanine. My thoughts were immediately, Alice in Wonderland, and as the story progresses, I felt Narnia, The Wizard of Oz, and an assortment of many tales rolled into one. If you've read the author's wonderful blurb, I need not repeat it.

If you love fairy tales, and stories of magic, intrigue, new love and lost love read
Tanna
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sooooo good!!!!

Loved this book!!!!! I don't even know where to start. The book felt a little like Alice In Wonderland but with bIts and pieces of other fairy tails thrown in. I loved the main character and how she developed over the book. Even though this book ended with a little cliffhanger, the author ended it were I was satisfied but still itching for more. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book of the series.
Aly
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story of falling into a whole and finding a whole new world. It would be great for this to be something more than just Fantasy. I would love to find a whole new world. lol This book has a little of everything for me. It felt a little like Alice in Wonderland and Narnia and Once upon a time and many more all in one book . If you like these types of great fairy tales, you should give this book a try! * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Brandon
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
The story was super entertaining from beginning to end. I couldn't stop reading. The descriptions were great, and I felt like I was watching a movie. I hope this becomes a movie.
Ronnie Bruce
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! I was captivated from the very beginning.
Janet Johnson
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Fabled" by Vanessa Eccles

This magical novel has the ability to captivate readers by drawing them into a world like no other.

When Rowena reluctantly accompanies her boyfriend, Dashielle, to a party being held in a Victorian mansion, she's hoping they won't need to stay long. Her sister, Lil, also goes to the party, and she has a much better time than Rowena. Determined to rein in her wild sister, Rowena chases after Lil into the surrounding woods. She stumbles around in the dark until she falls
Petra
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
This book had a good and wicked twist on the famous fairytales by the Grimm brothers, which was very fun and interesting to read about. I really liked how the Grimm brothers fit into the story with their podcast which added a connection between the normal world and Mezzanine. I also really enjoyed their story on how they arrived in Mezzanine and how that was told. To be honest, the brothers were probably my favourite characters in the book, and a point-of-view from them would have been amazing ...more
Grumpy Bunny
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book free through First Reads.

This was a really interesting reading experience for me. I wanted to try something a little outside of my comfort zone, book wise. Typically I'm not much for fairy tales, and the times I have tried to read them, especially adaptations, I either barely make it through - or I don't make it through at all.

While Fabled wasn't my favorite I have to admit, it did kind of catch my attention. Especially at the end of the book. You think "there's no way this
Medeia Sharif
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
On the night of a costume party, Rowena accidentally disappears into a portal and into another world called Mezzanine, which is filled with figures reminiscent of well-known fairy tales. As a mortal, Rowena isn’t safe. Evildoers, mostly Royals, are out to kidnap and use her for their own needs. Rowena develops feelings for Chester, who looks young but really isn’t, even though she feels bad since she has a boyfriend in her world—although, it doesn’t look like she’s going to return home anytime ...more
S.J. Henderson
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fairy tale junkie, other than whatever Disney dreams up, so I wasn't sure what I would think of this book. The gorgeous cover convinced me to give it a try, and the clever intertwining of classic fairy tales with a hint of modern day sold me.

I just finished the book and the last page has my head spinning and wondering what's next for Rowena, her family, and her loved ones in Mezzanine.
Desiree
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's alot of twist in this story that makes you want more.

All i can say is---- this is not your ordinary fantasy story. It's more darker and I'm hoping for a sequel! There's a lot to unpack and I want to explore more of Rowena's adventure between the two worlds--and now that she's somewhat different(I don't want to spoil this part). So, I'm recommending this book to everyone and give it a try.

I'm rating this 4.5 stars.
Terri M.
Okay, I'm done; consider this one abandoned.

All of this happens with in a handful of pages.

"...ravenous carriage..."
"Both men's eyes glazed the sides of the road..."
"...the men ate their soup hurriedly, missing their mouths more than ringing them."

I just can't handle all the errors.
Jeannie
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I stayed interested enough to finish this book, but I felt detached from the story throughout. The main character seemed flighty, impulsive, and easily changeable in her emotions and feelings toward others. The ending set up for another book, which was disappointing to me, since I did not enjoy this enough to read more about this story.
Melanie Stanford
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SIMPLY SUPERB!!! Refreshingly different with many twist and turns. You can see and feel the goodness in this book, but yet, it's bold and edgy enough to appeal to all types of readers. Bring on the sequel!
John Calicchia
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very creative and entertaining piece of work, written from the first person perspective– using a unique strong female character. I always loved fables and fairy tales, but this "fabled" piece of work will excite and thrill you in new and scary ways.
Yamielovesbooks
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
where do I start....? I need this! VANESSA K.ECCLES YOU ARE SUBERB! I WISH THERE WERE MORE WRITERS LIKE YOU...*sigh*
Angela
Jul 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Had high hopes for this book but sadly it didn't meet any of them.
Becky
Jul 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Needs a proofreader and copy editor. Very distracting errors, and weak transitions.
N.N. Light
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Not all fairy tales are friendly."

Love that line and it sums up this unique Grimm fairy tale re-imagined story. Fabled by Vanessa K. Eccles follows Rowena and her search for her sister. She stumbles into a storybook world filled with not-so-friendly characters. I really enjoyed this book! While it was predictable in places, the dialogue made up for it. Grimm himself would be impressed.

My Rating: 4 stars
Gina Stamm
Dragged myself through 50%, pushed to 73% and just couldn't read anymore. Story is choppy, I have a BIG issue with the sister/boyfriend thing, bored bored bored.
Tonja Drecker
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love fairy tale retellings and such, so this one was near the top of my TBR list. Although it wasn't exactly what I expected, I did read this in one sitting and ended up staying up to the wee hours of the morning to get the that last page.

The main character of this, Rowena, is a modern day girl. An introvert but she's got that handled and has a wonderful, long-term boyfriend too. Although she might come across as timid at times, she has a strong personality and solid sense of what is good and
Pamela
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rowena loves her calm uneventful life, loving her boyfriend, Dashielle, and wondering what her goals will be since her graduation. But things are about to change in a most unexpected way. It all starts with an invite to a very unusual costume party. After chasing after her obnoxious sister, she lands up in the land of Mezzanine with no way back. What is she to do in a strange place with no one to help her and no way of reaching her beloved home and family?

This is just the start of a journey that
Heidi
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked the plotline of the story. It was creative. Sometimes the main character seemed a bit childish, but that was OK. A negative point is that this book has really bad editing. For example, 'staring' was spelt as 'starring'. There were quite a few other bad editing points that stood out. Overall, this book was OK. I wish that the editing was better though because it would have helped me enjoy the book better.
Tanisha Peck
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Very fast paced and kept my interest which is why I gave it four stars. I couldn't put it down. The ending was very abrupt and frustrating. I hope the authoress plans on making a sequel, but can't find any sort of confirmation. As of right now I'm feeling cheated and frustrated. If this is a stand alone book, it will be the last I ever read Ms. Vanessa Eccles. I'm left feeling as I wished I had never read it.
Charlotte Brothers
Jun 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
I have to say that this feels like a "churned" book. It has numerous editing errors and poor continuity. I quit reading seriously around the middle of the story and skimmed the remainder of the book. The end is a set up for the next book in the series. If you like it, that's great, but if not, then the end is not worth rushing to.
I write and am going to Indie publish my first novella soon. I like to merciful to sincere writers, so, Vanessa Eccles, if this was an honest attempt...keep on.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 22, 2015 12:25PM
Book Giveaways: Fabled YA Giveaway 1 26 Jun 18, 2015 11:44AM
Book Haven: Fabled YA Giveaway 1 3 Jun 18, 2015 11:38AM
Indie Authors Mon...: Fabled YA Book Giveaway! 1 8 Jun 18, 2015 11:30AM
Vanessa K. Eccles is the creator of beautiful and terrifying creatures. She's a pursuer of elegant prose that bites with truth and never lets go. In the search for beautifully broken characters, she's not afraid to delve into the dark side of humanity and fantasy to find the most authentic and relatable monsters, reminding us all that we are each fearfully and wonderfully made.

When she's not