Start by marking “The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)” as Want to Read:
The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)

The Trouble at Wakeley Court

(Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)

When the Grand Duke of Morania learns of a plot to assassinate him, he sends his daughter Princess Irina to school in England, out of harm’s way. British Intelligence scent trouble and ask Angela Marchmont to investigate. But dark forces are at work, and when the Princess disappears in mysterious circumstances Angela must race against time to find her, before the throne ...more
Published March 30th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble at Wakeley Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble at Wakeley Court

Start your review of The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)
Damaskcat
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the eighth book in the Angela Marchmont series of mysteries. They were written in the 1920s but have only recently seen the light of day because the late author's family decided to publish them. Angela is a bit of a mysterious characters in that she appears to have done a lot and seen a lot of the world. She is well off financially and has a car and a chauffer but the reader knows very little more about her other than she is highly intelligent.

In this latest story she is trying to sort
Debbie
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent Angela Marchmont mystery! I know I keep saying these books remind me a lot of Agatha Christie's work, and I don't mean that as a plagiaristic or demeaning in any way sort of comment. Agatha Christie is, in fact, one of my favourite authors, and it's one of the highest compliments I could bestow upon any other author, in fact, to compare their work favourably to hers. So,that said, this book did remind me of Christie's Cat Among the Pigeons. There were similarities, that is to ...more
Andrea
A fun romp involving princesses and assassinations at a girl's boarding school. Spotted the twist early on, but an enjoyable light read.
Clewis53
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
a retread of Agatha Christie's Cat amongst the pigeons
Susan
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angela's god-daughter Barbara plays a larger role in book #8 of the series. Wakeley Court is the school she goes to, and Angela is there to visit her. But a foreign princess, Irina, is a pupil at the same school, and they have been notified that she is in danger. When her father is injured in an assassination attempt, British Intel (Foreign Service?) shows up to help keep her safe and Angela is asked to help as well. When the princess disappears, apparently kidnapped, everyone goes into a panic. ...more
Scot
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eighth in the series. Angela's audacious goddaughter Barbara goes to school at Waveley Court, and in this installment we get to see boarding school life for girls in the 1920s. Focus is very much away from Angela, more on power struggle and intrigue associated with a made-up Balkan state, Morania, so that the Grand Duke's daughter, Irina, a student at Waveley and a friend of Barbara's, finds her life threatened in a possible coup, and she disappears. Fans of The Belles of St. Trinian's will ...more
Sherry Cross
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
School girls & international intrigue

Angela travels to Wakely Court to see to her unruly goddaughter Barbara, where she becomes embroiled in a scheme of international intrigue, double agents, kidnappings & murder. A most excellent adventure!
Leanne Pazik
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great, fun murder mystery, with even a princess involved. I am almost done with the Angela Marchmont series.
Cathy
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Now this was just silly. A foreign princess is sent to school in England, there is an assassination attempt on her father back home, and a kidnapping attempt on the princess. No why believable.
Cathy Anne
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Marchmont

This is the eighth book I have read!!!! I love how the stories flow and how the plot thickens. I am ready for the next one.
Nicole Shames
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great story! I love this series! I will be sad when I get to the 10th book, as that is the end... :(
Balaji
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to start the next one!
Leslie Wright
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an enjoyable series to read.
Whistlers Mom
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
What would writers in the "Golden Age" of British mysteries have done without the Balkans? When they simply could NOT write another hum-drum English murder and try to whip their readers into a frenzy about which of the dull, stolid Englishmen (or women) actually got up enough energy to kill someone, they could always drag in some people from exotic Eastern Europe - the home of romance, intrigue, and general craziness. No need to try to explain WHY Alexia and Feodor and all their kin are happily ...more
Rosemary
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another charming entry in Clara Benson's unfolding series about amateur detective Angela Marchmont.

In this installment, Angela is summoned to Wakeley Court, the private girls' school in Norfolk where her god-daughter Barbara is a student. Though no biological relation to Angela, Barbara is cut from the same cloth: she's on the verge of being sent down for running a gambling operation, taking bets on whether she and the other girls can trick their teachers into saying improbable words in class:
Ken Hines
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great Read

This was a good read. I always like when Angela's goddaughter is in the book. She is always up to something. I thought it great for her to see herself in the goddaughters image. I loved how the twist in this book ended.
Pauline Ross
The eighth outing in the Angela Marchmont series of murder mysteries set in the twenties sees our heroine drawn into her most preposterous case yet, as a foreign princess is threatened with assassination at the private girls’ school attended by Angela’s god-daughter, Barbara. I won’t attempt to describe the plot - let’s just say it’s convoluted, and leave it at that.

I’m pleased to report that I guessed the identity of the villain right from the start here, but it didn’t hamper my enjoyment in
Bethany
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the 8th of the Angela Marchmont books, and the writing seems to be getting weaker as the series emerges. I was pretty well taken in in the beginning with the story that Clara Benson's stories had recently been discovered by family members and were being published posthumously. I was very critical of the first book, but it seem to be a genuine period piece: correct in language, manners, "feel." With subsequent publications, the writing seems almost correct, but somehow it's slipping. And ...more
Melissa
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Benson trying her hand at the Balkan princess plot -- foreign princess attends English school, mayhem results. World War II wiped out Balkan royalty, so that plot device went out of favor. There were some Christie-esque twists; it was fun nonetheless.

And these Benson books have been perfect for the mood I was in: escapism, with very little resembling my life. Lots of stress in the non-book world; good to escape into something relatively well-written that has no relevance to my life.
Elisa
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much! Angela Marchmont is so smart and charming, and it was lovely to see other supporting characters in Clara Benson's series (including her niece, Barbara, whom we have met before and is older now, but still a handful). Even if the twists were not super-original, I still didn't figure out what was happening until after Angela explained things to everybody. Another great addition to this delightful series.
Betty
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Angela's God daughter is in trouble again. This time at the posh boarding school she attends in Norwich. When Angela visits the school to see how she can help her little friend, she encounters a princess from one of the European principalities. When the princess suddenly disappears, Angela is called upon to keep the schools' reputation from suffering a horrific blow. Not quite as good as some of the others but still a fun read.
Marley
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Balkans! What 1920s mystery can miss them? The narrative back slid little bit, but there's some dandy stuff in the first few chapters--especially Angela's visit and take on Wakeley Court. And Barbara's back! There's some other great characters, too. Just a bit too talky towards the end, but Mrs. Marchmont, as always, is a delight!
Andrea Instone
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very nice read, reminds me of Agatha Christie's "Cat among the pigeons" although it never feels like stolen ideas. But once again all those hints towards other books of this genre and other classics made me sure that this is the work of someone of our time. I cannot describe it any better.
Dorothy
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Best Yet

I have read all eight books in this series, and I have especially enjoyed this one. The story seems to start off right away and continues along at a good pace, with plenty of turns in the plot.
Yvonne Davies
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
Trouble at school

Barbara appears in this story. Set in her boarding school. It's a case of misidentification, a plot of assassination but as usual the good guys are the victors
Patricia
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like this author. Her style is cozy mysteries. A thinking solution rather than a violent solution.
Sharon Stine
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
good summer series if you like Brit mysteries
Charlotte
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed the Angela Marchmont mystery series but I thought this one was pretty weak.
Diane Vincent Halas
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read.

She writes well & I like her characters. She telegraphed the solution early for this one but I liked it anyway.
James Saunders
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Trouble at Wakeley Court

A very good book from a very good author. This was one of the best of her books. I recommend this book highly.

• Murder on Skiathos (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 8)
  • The Saltwater Murder (Posie Parker Mystery #7)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle,#6)
  • Murder in the Folly (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 7)
  • Murder in Venice (Posie Parker Mystery #6)
  • The Black Cat Murders: A Cotswolds Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 2)
  • Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)
  • The Curse of Braeburn Castle (Heathcliff Lennox #3)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • Obsidian Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #8)
  • Mydworth Mysteries - London Calling! (A Cosy Historical Mystery Series Book 3)
  • House Party Murder Rap (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 1)
  • Murder at the Boat Club: a cozy 1920s murder mystery (A Ginger Gold Mystery)
  • Murder on All Hallows Eve (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #15)
  • Murder at Sedgwick Court (Rose Simpson Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder at Dareswick Hall (Rose Simpson Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder at the Tea Party: 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 2)
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A Country House Christmas Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
Clara Benson is the author of the Angela Marchmont Mysteries and Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures - traditional English whodunits in authentic style set in the 1920s and 30s. One day she would like to drink cocktails and solve mysteries in a sequinned dress and evening gloves. In the meantime she lives in the north of England with her family and doesn't do any of those things.

If you want to be

Angela Marchmont Mystery (10 books)
  • The Murder at Sissingham Hall
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
  • The Treasure at Poldarrow Point  (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)
  • The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 4)
  • The Incident at Fives Castle (Angela Marchmont Mystery #5)
  • The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
  • The Problem at Two Tithes (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #7)
  • The Scandal at 23 Mount Street (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)
  • The Shadow at Greystone Chase (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 10)