Start by marking “Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison” as Want to Read:
Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison

Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison

(Lazarus #16-21)

The world is at war, and Family Carlyle must fight to defend itself. With Malcolm Carlyle hovering at death's door, the siblings struggle to maintain control. But deception and war go hand in hand, culminating in a final revelation that will truly change everything for Forever Carlyle.

Collects LAZARUS #16-21
Published January 27th 2016 by Image Comics (first published January 20th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Lazarus, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lazarus, Vol. 4

Start your review of Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 4.82 stars. And a half.

This series =

YES. So much of it. It keeps getting better. And more intense. And bloodier. With lots of delicious scheming and backstabbing and stuff. YUM.

Okay, so I can't really say anything about this scrumptious volume because spoiler spoiler spoiler and stuff, but I can tell you this:

It's war. And it's glorious.

Much blood and gore and slaughterish action in this instalment there was.

How delightfully exquisite indeed.

Forever Carlyle kicks much deli
Chad
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rucka and Lark continue to outdo themselves. The war with Hock is not going well so forever heads to the front lines in Duluth on a special mission with a small team. Rucka handles the battle scenes really well. This is the best story in the book.

Meanwhile, the other Carlyle children struggle to keep their holdings afloat while searching for a cure for their father. And that ending! Wow!
Kaitlin
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is volume 4 in an ongoing sci-fi dystopian series. I can't really talk an awful lot about the series as i don't want to give anything away but I did really like the initial section with the Nun and I felt as though that gave us more clues about the world, the way it operates, and the way of life for people who aren't in the Families.

Forever once again has a spotlight role in the later half of this with some very badass moments and a lot of fighting and craziness. Personally I preferred the
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
The tentative truces between the Families are crumbling, in the wake of the concave and the attempted assassination of the Carlyle scion. Outright war in certain contested territories has broken out, and the Carlyle family's holdings are at risk in a war with another family. Forever, the Lazarus of the Carlyle family goes with selected army recruits to reclaim control. Forever is the draw of this series for me. She is a fearless warrior who fights for her family, but follows her conscience. But ...more
Dave Schaafsma
The Carlyle family is at war with the Hock family, and a lot of people die in the process, as one would expect. Forever is leading the charge. Again, she "dies" in contemporary superhero fashion, there is some concern about this for no apparent reason, because she does come back to life, of course... what's the point of that? Dad Carlyle seems to be close to death, not that we care at all about him or what implications his death will have for anything.

So why keep reading? 1) I am reading Lark's
Lata
3.5 stars. The Carlyles and Hocks are in open war, with allies on both sides getting pulled into the conflict. Meanwhile, Sonja, the Lazarus Forever fought at the Conclave, is recuperating under the Carlyle’s medical staff, who are also battling Carlyle’s failing body, trying to keep him alive.
Forever is sent to Duluth to keep a strategic location under Carlyle control; she heads up a team led by the young woman who had been initially rejected by the Carlyles at the choosing process.
While all th
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
I have really been enjoying this series. That said, volume four loses a star. I still enjoyed it - the pace, however, slowed down and I felt a little bit bored from time to time as I was reading it.

It's less stabby, stabby, and more politicking.

I like stabby, stabby.

Don't get me wrong, Forever still kicks some ass, and the politicking that takes place is still intriguing, but I kept waiting for things to really heat up and it never really delivered.

Sure, there's a cliffhanger at the end of the b
Cathy
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It‘s war. Lots of blood and death. And a very surprising ending. Can‘t wait to see how that turns out. Excellent fight scenes. Much sword wielding, blood shedding, slaughtering, scheming and holy plot twists. Good stuff.
James DeSantis
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
THAT ENDING THO! YOOOOOOOO!

So the first issue is to give some backstory...and honestly I nearly quit. I hated the first issue. I didn't care about it, it was drawn weird, way too much reading, it just didn't do it.

But then we got back to the meat of the story. To my girl, and we go through hell with her and a squad to take down another family. It's intense, wonderfully drawn, and really moves the plot forward. Then we get the final shot and it just blows your goddamn little f'ing mind to a mil
Sesana
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I feel like this was more of an expository volume. Ok, fine, but that doesn't make it interesting to read. I'll take it back, the first issue in the volume was pretty cool, and I'm disappointed that the story line there seems to have been shuffled off into the background. But there's a fair bit of work here that definitely needed to be done before the overall story was set to move on, and I get that. I think that my bigger stumbling block was actually the in the trenches part of this volume, whi ...more
J.M. Hushour
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Volume 4 is of only a slightly lesser quality because it's light on story and weighing more heavily on intense and violent action, which is understandable given the direction of the story. Forever Carlyle basically has to capture a city on her lonesome with a group of four soldiers (one of whom is the Lift petition redhead you might have been wondering about). The rest of the Family struggles to cure their poisoned father with a team of doctors (one of whom is the Lift petition dread-locked guy ...more
Julio Bonilla
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How the mighty have fallen.

Forever Carlyle in war is like the Energizer Bunny: UNSTOPPABLE!

The fourth volume of Lazarus is like a suspenseful movie! Commander Lazarus is in charge of her family, soldiers in the war against Hock, the rival family that poisoned her father. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

The artwork is very surreal. I had to do a double take on a few panels to realize what was happening.

Mike
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interludes are a tricky thing. Jason Aaron and Pia Guera did them with grace in Scalped, giving us meaningful snippets of backstory on some already-great secondary characters. John Layman and Rob Guillory OTOH used them as spacers and ego-masturbation in Chew.

Rucka and Lark are using them here to give us side-Story illustrations to help with their rapid world-building, and it’s both helpful *and* makes the story a little more relatable than “tales of the super-rich”. Telling us about one of the
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

When thinking how to review this one, the one word that popped in my head was "safe". This was a "safe" entry in the Lazarus series. I wouldn't say anything new or exciting is learned - the trajectory of the story goes exactly where you think. It's still enjoyable, but it's nowhere near as exciting as volumes 1 and 2.

Full Review:

The stories really start to branch off as this ensemble cast in 3 different locations reacts to the war. It's been about 3 months since volume 2. Casey Sol
Chris Lemmerman
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You'd think after 20 odd issues, you'd know pretty much how Greg Rucka and Michael Lark's world is working. They've introduced most of the main characters by now, you'd think, and the conflicts between the Families are spreading, with the inter-family squabbles also causing problems too.

And then along come two cliffhangers in this trade that are complete gut-punches, and then the series goes on hiatus for six months.

God damn it.
RG
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Woah amazing storytelling and ending. Only downside was the first issue. I felt like it was out of place, not very relevant and stylistically completely different (pages of words/transcripts etc). This series is a must read!!
Martin
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, reviewed
This series just keeps getting better with each subsequent volume. It doesn't get reflected in my rating because volume 1 got 5 stars, and that's the top rating one can give any book on Goodreads. But you know what I mean. Each volume builds on the one(s) preceding it, and it only makes waiting for the next volume(s) harder, because the series is so good. For people like me, who wait for the stylish deluxe hardcover edition(s) - which include cool bonus features - the waiting period is even long ...more
MusicalTati
Jun 28, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2016-reads
FUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!! Seriously!? How long do I have to wait for volume 5?! Dammit to hell! Just when you think you know what's going to happen. Just when you think you've seen the worst of the gore. Just when you think folks can't get more twisted.

THIS SHIT HAPPENS!!!!

And I'm loving every minute of it! The more characters that get introduced, the more I see into this dystopian sci-fi world that is dysfunctional & fucked to such a terrifying, yet great extent, the more I love it! The families. The
Jason
Wait, what? The next issue doesn't come out until JUNE? Rucka goes from an arc that takes place over a few days in one location and jumps ahead a few months so that we're in the middle of a war between two families, and things are happening everywhere. We get to know a couple of the Carlyle siblings a bit better (still not sure what Johanna's got up her sleeve-sheesh) and get a few well-drawn, written, and executed battle scenes but Rucka's still keep us hanging when it comes to a few major myst ...more
Neil
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wish there were more than five stars, because I swear each volume of Rucka and Lark's Lazarus gets better and better, and it started out as a five star work. From the ability to pace and draw a compelling, dramatic small squad combat scenario, to the surprising but naturalistic plot twists in the political goings on behind the scenes, this is simply the most compelling book on the market these days. ...more
Mike
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
Storylines converge as "Eve" Forever Carlyle enters the Carlyle-Hock war while new serfs battle or rush to save Martin Carlyle's life. Several revelations come to life -- Forever, questioning whether her emotions are her own or imposed by drugs, has stopped taking the medications designed to activate her immortality/survival mechanisms. And frighteningly, there appears to be another Forever in training, only this is a 13-year-old version identical "clone"!
David Dalton
I finally got around to reading the 4th Volume. Wow! One of the better collections and they all have been great. What a series. Reminds me a lot of the cable series "The Badlands" in a way (dark future thing).

But this dark future has hi-tech. I like Forever (Eve). She is one efficient Lazarus. No waiting around for me, as I have already read the first of the five stories in the 5th Volume: Cull.

This series is screaming for either a movie (at least 2) or a well done (in style of "Westworld") cabl
Koen
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well, sh*t just got real !
.. Ok, it already was, but this volume just kicks it to another new level !!

Oeh, and what a twist at the end... So, I'm done talking.. On to the next one ;)
Lukasz
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, 2020
An amazing series. The fight sequences are simply glorious and the characterization is top-notch.
Mitchell
Kind of exhilarating. I'm not a big fan of combat sequences, just don't care all that much. And this book has a lot of combat. But also the text that goes with the combat actually works. And in the end caring about the characters pulled me through. That winter combat art really put you in the spot. And plots within plots within plots. And as side characters keep getting added, the world becomes richer. Hate the idea of having to wait for the sequel but it's on hold. ...more
Tristan
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
The Carlyle and Hock factions engage each other in a full-blown war. Terrific execution of the action sequences (legendary Lark at the top of his game), but I would have preferred a further exploration of the world (how this dystopian future actually came about, background information) and considerably more focus on the characters instead. Too many underdeveloped narrative strands as of now, which confused the whole thing.

Perhaps I just want something from Lazarus it was never planned to be. It
Eduardo
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Masterful work from Greg Rucka! The perfect combination of a political thriller with futuristic sci-fi (sometimes not so much sci-fi as what could possibly, very realistically, happen) and action.
I'm not a big fan of Michael Lark's artwork but the quality of the story makes up for absolutely everything else. The world they're building is extremely rich and vast, makes me wonder what's the plan in the long, long run and, especially, how long will the series run for. It's looking like an epic sto
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-gn
Oh, the adrenaline!!! This series has the best fight scenes.
Andy Hickman
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
LAZARUS Volume 4 - POISON
The sociological interplay and personal developmental transformation of the characters have made this epic saga one of the best graphic novel / comic series of all time.
Bringing Michael into the story as a Serf for Family Carlyle has added further dynamic interplay. Fantastic!

Lazarus#16 – Interlude: Mercy
“We shall EACH be judged when the time comes. Not only for what we have done .. but what we FAILED to do.” – Sister Mercy
“I see the results of violence in every Domain,
Tomas
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
First of all ... OMG the ending. I did not see that coming at all. I just say that this series is getting better and better with each volume. Too bad there is only one left for me to read.

I must especially praise how Forever is drawn. She has a very complex face expression which really illustrates how torn she is. She is not Rambo-style comic book hero. She just wants her daddy to love her. She is a kid who never grown up but instead got very good at killing and fighting. She does not want to we
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Black Science, Vol. 7: Extinction Is the Rule
  • Black Science, Vol. 8: Later Than You Think
  • Undiscovered Country, Vol. 1: Destiny
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • East of West, Vol. 4: Who Wants War?
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 2: Original Sins
  • Scene of the Crime: A Little Piece of Goodnight
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 4: The Pentoculus
  • Black Science, Vol. 2: Welcome, Nowhere
  • Pulp
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 3
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 1
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.

Lazarus (6 books)
  • Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family
  • Lazarus, Vol. 2: Lift
  • Lazarus, Vol. 3: Conclave
  • Lazarus, Vol. 5: Cull
  • Lazarus, Vol. 6: Fracture I

News & Interviews

“Somebody's got to win this war, right?” 2 likes
“We have our mission and we are going to complete it. So grab your straws and suck it the fuck up.” 2 likes