Start by marking “Grimly Jane” as Want to Read:
Grimly Jane

Grimly Jane

Jane Worthington is miserable indeed. Losing her parents at the tender age of eight, she is sent to live at the dreadful orphanage, The Rudorf Home For Foundlings, where she is forced to bed without supper, made to clean with little rest and, when she's very naughty, locked away in the red room. One day, her fortune changes when she discovers a door to another world throug ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 232 pages
Published May 15th 2015 by Oliver Press (first published August 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Grimly Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grimly Jane

Start your review of Grimly Jane
Mindi
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This one took me right back to my childhood and my love for John Bellairs and Edward Gorey. The story and illustrations are fantastically dark and beautiful!

Poor Jane Worthington wakes up one day an orphan, and is forced to live at The Rudorf Home for Foundlings. Jane is miserable, and treated terribly, while all of the other children in the home are fed well and cared for. You see, Jane's parents didn't leave her any mo
Sharon
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book in exchange for honest review, so omg you guys this book was so good!!! I absolutely adored the illustrations inside! It was very Tim Burton ish which I loved. The story line was creepy and the characters were hilarious. I flew through it, this book needs a sequel or at least be made into a movie because I want more!! It's targeted for a younger age but the creepy ness in the book make it so people of all ages will love it, I recommend it to everyone!!!
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Just look at this cover.. isn't it just gorgeous and pulls you right in before you even open it? The illustrations alone give you that immediate Tim Burton feel. They are riddled throughout the book and engaging. I found myself staring at them like they were putting a spell on me before I remembered to turn the page so I could continue with the story.

Imagine if you could be trained to go back and get revenge upon all those who have wronged you. At a young age, you don't consider the consequences
Betty
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly appreciate this complimentary copy of Grimly Jane written by D.L. Alexander sent to me by Goodreads First Reads. What a wonderful imagination this author has! This book does not follow the typical plot a reader would expect. The reader is quickly lured into reading this book from cover to cover so that one can follow Jane's unpredictable journey after leaving the orphanage. This book lends itself to lots of teaching possibilities. I can't wait to share it with some of my older elementary ...more
Joshua James
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had been looking forward to the release of Grimly Jane for almost a year and Elle Alexander hasn't disappointed!

Grimly Jane is a fast paced tale of magic and revenge, exploring the path to vengeance and the potential cost of following said path.

There are many different strengths to this books, the characters being chiefly among them. Each character has a distinctive look (aided by Elle Alexanders AMAZING illustrations) and personality. Jane is a wonderful anti-hero who you can't help but lo
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*Book provided in exchange for an honest review*
"Everything is useful but you must have the imagination to see it."
Ah! I love this book, it's so dark and eerie! Exactly what I love in my books.
It's a middle grade book but honestly, I think it's for all ages. It's so fast and easy to get through. It definitely kept me intrigued to the last page. The illustrations and characters are to die for! There was nothing I didn't like. This story is marvelous, I am so reading it to my little sister!
I would
Sherrie
I was excited to win a copy of Grimly Jane through the Goodreads Giveaways Program. What you first notice about the book is the amazing cover artwork that pops out at you. Grimly Jane is an excellent book for children ages 8 and up. The book had a few scares but nothing too frightening. The story was well written and had enough action to keep young children's interest. I also thought the illustrations at the beginning of each chapter were well done and helped add to the story. This was a wonderf ...more
Emily
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I'm not big on middle-grade books, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It's a cute story, and I love the darkness. Elle's illustrations are AMAZING, and I would absolutely love if she made a graphic novel one day. The art is spooky, gorgeous, and Tim Burton-esque.

My only complaint about this book is that I wish certain parts of the story had been expanded upon, but I understand that it was meant to be a short middle-grade story. There were also some grammatical issues I picked
Megan
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this book and didn’t want to put it down. I got it because I’m a Jane Eyre addict and it is a tale inspired by Jane Eyre...but it’s so much more. I think it would also appeal to fans of Alice, Coraline, and Miss Peculiar. I love magical realism like this. We can completely understand wanting to see Jane’s (all versions of Jane!) tormentors getting their comeuppance, and this book very simply makes you think about what that really means...it’s also apparently ...more
BigLittleBookz
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A must for fans of Tim Burton gave me Coraline vibes. Loved the illustrations
Jonathan
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Grimly Jane” by Elle Alexander, is a delightfully illustrated tale about a little girl whose fortunes take a turn for the worse when she is sent to an orphanage. The Rudorf Home for Foundlings, run by Dame Rudorf and her heartless sidekick Mrs. Bunton, is a wicked place for Jane. With no inheritance, Jane is mistreated on a daily basis, and wrongfully blamed for misdeeds by Dame Rudolf’s daughter, Elsa. She is locked in a room regularly as punishment, until one day she finds an otherworldly way ...more
Julie
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firstreads
I received this book as a firstreads giveaway. I read it with my 10 year old son who hates to read. How can this child be related to me? It's a dark and ominous book that ends with a good message. There are some big words that gave us the opportunity for discussion. Now that we're finished with the book I think I'll be a really mean mom and have him write about what might have happened if Jane had followed the Guardian which is what we thought she should have done in the first place.
Hollygolitely
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best children books I have ever read and I don't even like children books.
Tamara Geraeds
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
*got a digital copy in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for that.*

Janes story has a difficult start. Her first chapter is unnecessary.
It would have been much stronger if the information in that chapter had been given to us later on; if it had been woven into the story. Also, some things are illogical. Like Jane being very scared one minute and going to check on something mysterious only seconds later.
One time she even says: 'I got so frightened that I fell asleep.' As if you can just fa
Nichole
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
**book provided in exchange for an honest review**

The eerie and spooky opening of this book had me hooked from the beginning!

Grimly Jane is one of those dark middle-grade books that rides the line between sad and scary. I say it's a cross between Coraline and Alice in Wonderland, but as in both books, Other World can be a scary place where things aren't always as (literally in this case) black and white as the seem. This book asks the question how far will Jane go for revenge, and is it too far?
Jaime Hudson
This is going to be a great book for any child or reader of a lower level. The premise is dark and scary, but keeps with the promise of teaching a lesson to the reader.

The only thing I found odd about the book, was how this book felt very slow yet moved quickly at the same time. Almost confusing at times. Still a good story.

D.L. Alexander has a promising future in literature for children.
Tabitha
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book as a First Reads on Goodreads.

My pre-teen daughter LOVED it.

After reading it myself, I agree that it is a pretty good book. I loved the Aesop fable type of moral. I found the writing style and point of view delightfully different. More books in this world would be welcome in my home.
Paige Adam
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved, loved this book!!! Even more than my nephew!
Jennifer Ott
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, thought-provoking and highly imaginative. Although written for children, this is a great read for adults, as it portrays life lessons we can all be reminded from time to time.
Linda Lou
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is quite a mix in this book. I mean, besides the obvious parallels to Bronte’s Jane Eyre and the cost of revenge. The prose and the extreme desire for revenge is paramount in both books. Yet, this is more than a classic retelling. There is a bit of a Grimm fairytale, Gothic humor and some down right creepy horror of Poe and a dash of Neil Gaiman was thrown in just in case. All of these elements were expertly woven together creating an excitingly moving story that kept me turning pages unti ...more
Jeana
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-fiction
My 10-year-old daughter didn't want to read this because she thought it would be too scary for her--but after we started, she loved it. I always let her choose the star ratings for the books we read together and she said 5 stars. I'd probably say 4. It was a lot of fun and perfect for this time of year.
Alison
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing is very well done. This genre is just not really me. I always struggle with them.
Angeline Walsh
Aug 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Art is great, story and writing are not. Terrible pacing, cliches upon cliches, flat characters. Someone please inform this author of the basic “show, don’t tell” guidline.
Barbara
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The scent of popcorn and burnt caramel hung sweet in the air and the sight of peculiar people performing spectacular feats was dazzling to the eye."

And so beings Grimly Jane, a story about a mistreated orphan who finds a secret passageway into a bizarre world where she learns how to become a witch with amazing powers, including the power to potentially go back and get revenge on those who wronged her.

When I was at the age of those in the target audience for the book, there were certain books I
Michelle Ball-Chaykowski
I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Generally, I don't read middle grade books but the cover hooked me. Never judge a book by it's cover has never applied to me. It's what makes me read! The Nightmare Before Christmas quality of the cover art was too good to pass up.
I felt this story of an orphaned girl treated horribly in an orphanage began slowly. It reminded me a lot of the Disney picture book version of Cinderella, only dark and a little creepy. As the s
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I received a free copy of the book from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

The story of Grimly Jane will be a timeless classic. I'm already looking forward to the sequel (hopefully a series?)
There are situations and life lessons that everyone can relate to. The characters come to life in your mind because they are shown to us through illustration and great writing. (I love all of their names too!)
I especially found that the narration had a nice, easy pace that wasn't too slow or too
Angela Oliver
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of the ebook from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

"Grimly Jane" is a charmingly dark delight in the traditional grim Victorian style, which should appeal to fans of Lemony Snicket and Edward Gorey. Jane Worthington is an orphan, her parents tragically killed by the fever. She is taken into the Rudorf Home for Foundlings, where-in begins her tragic Cinderella-tale. Belittled, beleagured and generally treated as the lowest of the low, Jane struggles on, hoping f
Becky Hagan
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Grimly Jane was terrific! I highly recommend this Middle Grade read for anyone with an overactive imagination and an appreciation for the darker side of fairy tales. Elle Alexander has created a great character in Jane Worthington and the rest of the residents of Ghastly Hollow and the Other World, where flowers have faces and some people do not.
Jane has spent years being the worst treated orphan at The Rudorf School for Foundling
Amanda
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heh, hopefully I'm doing this right!

I was lucky enough to receive a free pdf file from the author herself, and I have to say, I read it all in one night!

Of course the pacing was a bit wonky for me, but I'm someone who read LOTR. I'm more adapted for slower pacing, but this book is perfect for middle school students or those looking for a quick-paced book. It is definitely eerie, and I love how Jane is portrayed when she grew to become...wait, spoilers. Sorry! I love the idea of an elegant yet fi
Kathrina Iris
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grimly Jane is reminiscent of all the classic stories from my childhood - A Little Princess, Series of Unfortunate Events, Nightmare Before Christmas. Dark but charming, eery but intriguing, centered in misery and revenge but also teaches a moral lesson.

I like how Miss Alexander has a vast imagination but can still narrate everything clearly. My 9-year old cousin would excitedly retell what happened in every chapter and how she enjoyed it.

It has a nice gothic cover and illustrations, too. Spooky

• The Price of Salt
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • The Love Killers
  • The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Olivia and the Fairy Princesses
  • The Confession (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #2)
  • The Forest ~ a tale of old magic ~
  • James and the Giant Peach
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • Bone, Vol, 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1)
When Elle was little, she dreamed of falling down the rabbit hole. She lives in Michigan where she continues to dream strange things and pen lots of oddish tales.