Start by marking “The Traitor (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Traitor (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #4)

The Traitor (Golden Mountain Chronicles #4)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In the Wyoming territory in 1885, life is tough, especially for Michael Purdy. An outcast in the small town of Rock Springs, he's either bullied and bloodied, or ignored. Michael feels he might as well be a ghost in this rough coal-mining town.

But life is even harder for Joseph Young, a Chinese American boy and Michael's secret ally. Despised by the white miners, the Chine
Published October 26th 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Traitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traitor

Alison
The Traitor I definitely didn't feel like reading about a race riot tonight, so I ended up skimming the last 100 pages. It gets intense from what I could see.

There are so many men in these books, and they're getting bleaker as they go on. There are also so many matter-of-fact descriptions of death/murder in the stories so far and it feels really weird.

It seems like it's been ages since I was reading about Cassia in The Serpent's Children and like it will be ages before I finally reach Casey in
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent but quite upsetting book about an actual event that took place in 1885 in Wyoming, the massacre of a bunch of Chinese immigrants by white men.

The fiction part concerns two boys, Michael Purdy and Joseph Young. Joseph is of oriental ancestry, but was born in the US. Michael is white, but his mother and father never married, technically making him a bastard, and as such he's considered an outcast by the rest of the townspeople. Joseph is hated by most of the whites because he
Adele S.
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, this isn't the sort of book that I typically would read, but we had to read a historical fiction book for my history class and I chose this one.

First thing's first- I have never read any other book in the Golden Mountain Chronicles, but you really don't need to. It stands alone, which I appreciated.

This book is about a terrible time in American history: the race riots. Chinese came over to the western part of America. People liked hiring them because they would work for cheap. However, wh
Heather
Aug 18, 2012 is currently reading it
So far, I enjoy this book. My knowledge of the history of Chinese immigrants is rather limited and this book is (sadly) giving me plenty of info. Such a sad, sad history-- so much misunderstanding and bigotry. But unless we learn our history, we will be doomed to repeat it. I do love learning about history through these kinds of fictional books, as it brings things to life and causes me to empathize with the different people represented in the story.
I'll add more later when I complete the book.
Yi-Ann
Jan 29, 2009 rated it liked it
I didn't like this book that much, but for the most part I think Laurence Yep does a pretty good job of portraying how badly Chinese people were treated. a lot of people think that it was worse for the africans, but really, it was just about the same or worse. the workers were pretty much slaves. shelter was provided for them (but not food) for extremely low or no pay. and not just in the south. the first reaction people had when africans were legally and officially set free, chinese people were ...more
Sue
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This details the friendship between an outcast American boy and an outcast Chinese boy in the coal mining town of Rock Springs, Wyoming. Their friendship is tender as they learn the things they have in common and yet the things that divide them. Then the town erupts in bloodshed as the author tells of the factual Chinese massacre that occurred there and how the townspeople react. Very interesting story.
Shauna
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. Since I live in Rock Springs, Wyoming, I was able to relate to the descriptions, the setting and landmarks, and the history.
Diane Dunham
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Always a lesson in a Laurence Yep book. This book is based upon the worst race riot in America's history. Two teenage boys from different races become friends. Read this book and see what happens.
Eve
Jan 15, 2012
Liam Arne
Sep 25, 2012
A Book Vacation
rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2010
Jori Richardson
Nov 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Off to War
  • Extreme American Makeover (First Daughter, #1)
  • Coolies
  • Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream
  • Call to Arms
  • Confessions: An Innnocent Life in Communist China
  • Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back
  • Tucket's Home (The Tucket Adventures, #5)
  • Thunder Rose
  • My Brother, My Sister, and I
  • The Friendship
  • Behind the Masks: The Diary of Angeline Reddy, Bodie, California, 1880 (Dear America)
Born June 14, 1948 in San Francisco, California, Yep was the son of Thomas Gim Yep and Franche Lee Yep. Franche Lee, her family's youngest child, was born in Ohio and raised in West Virginia where her family owned a Chinese laundry. Yep's father, Thomas, was born in China and came to America at the age of ten where he lived, not in Chinatown, but with an Irish friend in a white neighborhood. After ...more
More about Laurence Yep...

Golden Mountain Chronicles (10 books)
  • The Serpent's Children (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #1)
  • Mountain Light (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • Dragonwings (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #5)
  • Dragon Road (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #6)
  • Child of the Owl (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #7)
  • Sea Glass (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #8)
  • Thief of Hearts (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #9)
  • Dragons of Silk (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #10)