Start by marking “Sunstone” as Want to Read:
Sunstone

Sunstone

Before there was a history, the sun goddess Navora visited a moon within her realm that held primitive ocean life. She dipped her staff of power into the primordial sea and stirred. Pleased with what she had wrought, she departed, not at all troubled that a divine spark had touched two small dying sea creatures.

As centuries pass, life on the moon develops into a geothermal
Kindle Edition
Published March 31st 2015 by Paper Crane Books

To ask other readers questions about Sunstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunstone

Aubree
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holly Barbo is one of my go to authors. Sunstone is without a doubt her best work yet. She has woven a few of today’s problems into enormously satisfying Steampunk mystery. Don’t worry, she doesn’t preach or lecture. Instead, she spins a web and ensnares you. Her world and characters ring true even though they are totally fictional. And look at that COVER! How could you possibly resist. I am extremely happy I couldn’t. 5 STARS for Holly Barbo and Sunstone. I would give it more if I could. I can ...more
T.M. Payne
Reviewed by: Tammy Payne- Book Nook Nuts
My Rating: 5 Stars

REVIEW
New to me author.

During a time before machines the moon goddess knew the tides were changing and she entrusted some stones to 3 select she trusted. Each had a job to do. Kes has come back from school and is now helping out with research for his adoptive father. One evening those who wish to cause an uproar come and cause deathly harm to the old man and Kes knows what he
Cherime MacFarlane
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Delicious steampunk story! It tells about a world drifting into disaster. It has the means to save its self. The sunstones were set in place by a goddess in the distant past. But without the humans needed....Can this world be saved? Will the gift of the goddess make a difference? Read it and find out. Excellent piece of work. I was given an advance copy of this book for a fair and honest review and it was my pleasure.
Grace Augustine
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First ever read Steampunk novel is a hit

Sunstone captivated my interest from the first sentence. In this, my first ever read Steampunk novel, Holly Barbo has created a futuristic world that is spiraling out of control. She has cleverly weaved some of our own societal issues into this fabulous read. I can't say enough great things about this book...but I don't want to reveal any more of the plot line. The characters were very well developed, the subject matter transitioned well from paragraph to
Michele Gwynn
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of fantasy and science fiction
In an alien world, social injustice still finds its way through the machinations of the corrupt. Sunstone is a fantasy, futuristic, mystical yet nostalgic thrill-ride on a steam car. On Myrn, as in any other place in the universe, governments rule, but the greedy seek power, and the good struggle to maintain balance. Both have to operate in the shadows while everyday citizens just work to survive oblivious to the plots always bubbling up to undermine their world although increasingly aware as th ...more
Ch'kara SilverWolf
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I loved this book. It just got better and better as it went along. All of the characters had their own quirks and idiosyncrasies, but all of them were strong and powerful in their own way and this was brought out on the pages of this wonderful story.

Thanks Holly Barbo, I thoroughly enjoyed being on this journey as it took me right into the story.
William Stuart
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Steampunk - not my normal genre - is an interesting world to visit. When you can add elements of science fiction and fantasy into the mix, it becomes intriguing. Sunstone - A Steampunk Reality by Holly Barbo has all that and much more!
Synopsis (from the author): The steam-powered civilization of Myrn is a thriving adolescent culture. But the rapid industrial development has given rise to greed, and the triumvirate of government, banks and industry leaders has lost sight of those it is supposed t
Terri Wilson
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had no real expectations for this book, but I thought it looked interesting. I'm really glad I got it. I added the narration to this and listened to it while I walked. I got many miles from this story because I wanted to keep going. The author created a fully developed world and a page-turner plot line. The characters felt like real people.
Diane Garner
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The world created here was intriguing to read about. The author did an awesome job with description, making it easier to put yourself into their world. The characters were likable, and the book was very informative. It was the first two chapters that really drug me into a very interesting storyline — imagination at its finest.
Ronesa Aveela
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sunstone takes place on a moon that orbits a distant planet. Their world, like ours, is filled with corruption and greed among the politicians and businessmen (particularly pharmaceuticals). But there are also those who band together to bring about change for the better. The book has good lessons and warnings for our way of life: It is within mankind's power to reverse the detrimental effect our way of life has had on the earth and society.

The author has a well-developed world in which the chara
Rebecca Austin
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-magic
This was my first time reading Steampunk and it certainly will not be my last if this book is any indication.

This book focuses on the Steam-powered civilization Myrn and three elemental stones blessed by the Goddess Navora. These stones are wanted by corrupt businessmen for greed and wealth. But there is still people working for the better good of the civilization and it is up to them to get to the stones first to protect Myrn.

I really enjoyed this book and the characters in it. There was such
Jayne Hyatt
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
Holly Barbo has done a stupendous job of creating a world, and a culture, that is complete, interesting, and believable. Her prose is masterful, and her love of language apparent. This is a mystery/adventure that is also serves as a parable of our time and the concerns many have about such things as secret power, politics, big pharma, and growing income disparity. Be assured, though, that the morality tale doesn’t get in the way of the thriller, which is fast paced, intriguing,
Maria
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sunstone is a very imaginative and descriptive story. A steampunk story that is well written with interesting characters. The illustrations are fantastic and inspiring! I thought the plot was very compelling and thought provoking. Barbo is brilliant at crafting vivid scenes. If you are looking for an atmospheric well-written steampunk thriller pick up Sunstone.
Beautifulday4makeup The-book-and-Me
I received the ebook in exchange for an honest review. This book at first seemed a regular fantasy book. Suprisingly the book developed in a tale of power and industrialisation. It made me think to our passed and how this happened here as well. Therefore it hit quite close to home. I liked reading the book.
Kate O'Reilly
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sunstone was the first book I've read in the Steampunk genre and I didn't regret stepping into the new realm. The world was described beautifully and intricately. It's a full immersion adventure. I didn't want to put it down and it cost me more than a few hours sleep.
Brandi Nyborg
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow! This is my first book by this author, and it will definitely not be my last! This story is creative and unique! I was glued to the book, and finished it in one sitting. It really makes you think!
Iris Lundin
Jul 15, 2015
Virginia Gray
May 04, 2015
Anita
Oct 11, 2016
Suzy Justad
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well written. Uses parallels of her world with ours. Very insightful. Enjoyable reading
Burke Burke