Start by marking “Engelskalt” as Want to Read:
Engelskalt

Engelskalt

(Holger Munch & Mia Kruger #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  14,897 ratings  ·  1,624 reviews
Ein Spaziergänger findet im norwegischen Wald ein totes Mädchen, das mit einem Springseil an einem Baum aufgehängt wurde und ein Schild um den Hals trägt: „Ich reise allein.“ Kommissar Holger Munch beschließt, sich der Hilfe seiner Kollegin Mia Krüger zu versichern, deren Spürsinn unschlagbar ist. Er reist auf die Insel Hitra, um sie abzuholen. Was Munch nicht weiß: Mia ...more
Published April 20th 2015 by Goldmann (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Engelskalt, please sign up.
Caitlyn Lamm
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kimberly
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  14,897 ratings  ·  1,624 reviews

Start your review of Engelskalt
Crumb
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A First-Class Thriller!

This was unexpected. A complete surprise. If I wasn’t participating in the Popsugar challenge, I never would have read this gem of a novel. I had to pick a ‘nordic noir’ book to read and after contacting the author and asking if this qualified as ‘nordic noir’ I was ready to go, although admittedly, a little skeptical. I had decided from the get go that this genre wouldn’t be for me.. Oh how wrong was I! Thank you, thank you Popsugar Gods for bringing this novel AND genre
Paula Kalin
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scandi Nordic crime fiction fans
Recommended to Paula by: Mary
I’m Traveling Alone is a fantastic Scandi Nordic crime fiction debut. Holger Munch, head of the recently re-established Oslo special crime unit, travels to a remote island in Northern Norway to find his former partner and his best detective, Mia Kruger. He shows her the case file of a gruesome killing of a 6 year old girl and convinces her reluctantly to join him in tracking down the killer.

A dark, violent thriller with many plot lines, the book is smart with many likable characters. Holger and
Sandy

I’ve been drowning in a sea of “meh” books lately. Don’t know whether it’s because I’ve chosen badly or a virulent case of the winter blahs but the last few just couldn’t hold my attention due to interminable detail and/or MC’s I found irritating (I’m convinced if they studied my genetic make-up they’d discover hummingbird DNA due to my nonexistent attention span).

Hallelujah, the streak is over.

Set in Norway, the story follows the members of a special police unit that was disbanded after their
Rosie
I love Scandinavian crime fiction, so I was hoping this one would be a winner. Unfortunately, I probably hyped myself up a bit for it because it was just ok.
The novel focuses on police officers Mia Kruger and Holger Munch who are reunited to find a killer targeting little girls. Mia has an interesting past and is struggling with an addiction to alcohol and pills. The initial prologue and first chapter grabbed me, as a victim is found almost immediately. However, from then on things slowed down.
Susan
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a debut thriller by Samuel Bjork and I was not too surprised to find out that this is a pen name for Norwegian novelist, playwright and singer/songwriter Frode Sander Oien. This is such an assured and confident novel, that I would have been amazed had it been the first book this author had written. Although I love reading many types of books, my ultimate favourite reads are crime books and, as it is currently the most popular genre fiction, it seems I have a lot of company. However, this ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I honestly think that Norwegian crime novels are the best. I just love reading/listening to crime books set in Norway and now I have one more favorite series. I'm Traveling Alone is the first book in the Holger Much & Mia Kruger series. I listened to the Swedish version of the book and I was hooked. The case with the dead children is both eerie and sad. And both the main characters made a great impression on me, Holger who has not recovered from his divorce 10 years previously and Mia who ...more
Odette Brethouwer
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This was a good thriller. But, in my eyes, not spectacular or much better than other thrillers I've read. So, 3*. I wonder why so many people give this book such high ratings, I wonder what makes it so special for them..
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
I’m drawn to read Nordic books.....
Having enjoyed Swedish crime authors, Henning Manvell, Stieg Larson, and Jo Nesbo, ( and a couple of great reviews from *Paula* and *Crumb*), I was excited when my Library Overdrive had the audiobook copy to download. The ebook wasn’t even available. But no problem.......
The Audiobook is read by Laura Paton. GREAT AUDIO-READER!!!

The experts are ‘right’..... Comparing Samuel Bjork to Steig Larsson- and Joe Nesbo is a great fair comparison.

Mixing two great
Petra
I am somewhat at odds and unsure how to rate this. For the first 23% of it, I was close to giving up. It felt like a long line of people were being introduced, but the plot wasn't going anywhere. Being the first in a new series, there is certainly a benefit to providing plenty of background to your main characters, and by the end, I have to admit, you really felt you had a solid understanding of who Mia Krüger and Holger Munch were. But in addition to the main characters', there were also ...more
Kim
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oz-spring-2019
Setting: Norway. This is the first outing for a new Scandi-detective series featuring Holger Munch and his former partner Mia Kruger. After Mia got herself into trouble for shooting a drug dealer (whose actions had killed her sister), she bought an cottage on an isolated island off the Norwegian coast and has gone there intending to kill herself on the anniversary of her sister's death. But after a 6 year old girl is found hanging from a tree dressed in a school uniform and with the sign 'I'm ...more
Nikki
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A four star includes-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink read!!

First, let me thank my reading buddy, Crumb, for suggesting this book to me as a buddy read for the Popsugar Reading Challenge. Had it not been for that, I probably would have never stumbled across this one.

Written by Norwegian author, Samuel Bjork, I’m Traveling Alone is one creepy thriller. Detectives Mia Kruger and Holger Munch team up to track down a killer preying on young girls. Mia and Holger are night and day from one another,
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
My final book of 2015 was this beauty!

As some of you may know, I'm a huge Scandi/Nordic crime fiction book lover, so of course I was excited when I read the premise of Bjork's book.

What a book to end my reading year on! If I had read this before my top ten books post, I'm pretty sure this would have made the list! Maybe I might do a post about my favourite Scandi crime books in the new year! I'm Travelling Alone is a superb thriller. I was unsure when I started it, because it introduced a whole
Canadian
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Canadian by: Richard
Four six-year-old girls are murdered in succession. They are found dressed in old-fashioned clothing made to match that of dolls, and they carry satchels with school texts that don’t belong to them. Each has a Roman numeral scratched on a fingernail—according to the order in which the killings occurred. All have apparently died painlessly, with no evidence of a struggle, from an overdose of an anesthetic agent, and all are found wearing cards around their necks which announce: “I’m traveling ...more
Sandra
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-wd
I saw this Scandinavian thriller a number of years ago whilst killing time at an airport....... the title ‘I’m Travelling Alone’ intrigued me. I got the book almost straight away but only now decided to read it.
A six-year-old girl is found in the countryside, hanging from a tree. Around her neck is a sign that says "I'm traveling alone."
Holger Munch is asked to put a special homicide team together. His first task sees him travelling to a remote island to persuade his previous partner,
Ursula Uriarte
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
5 solid stars for I'm Traveling Alone by Samuel Bjørk - .

I'm Traveling Alone is Bjørk's US debut and it is brilliantly crafted. We start with the discovery of a gruesome crime, a girl found hung from a tree with a tag around her neck that read "I'm Traveling Alone" it is then when the head of the Violent Crimes Department in Oslo, Holger Munch, goes looking for Mia Kruger, a former member of his team who was always considered to be the best in her field.
Mia Kruger is absolutely fascinating, a
Jess
Kathleen
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Frode Sander Oien’s first novel under the pen name Bjork, but the Norwegian novelist, playwright, and singer/songwriter has considerable writing experience. Here we have Norwegian Noir—detectives Holger Munch and Mia Kruger with personal issues; a dark, twisting plot; multiple characters and multiple POVs. So, if you enjoy complicated psychological thrillers—this one is for you. Recommend.
Mark
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of scandinavian lit
I received a copy of this novel from Crimezone.nl / Hebban.nl in exchange for an honest review.

this is according all the advertisements in the Dutch press the next Jo Nesbo and based upon this novel I dare to disagree.

The story starts when dead children have been found with a notice around their necks that says "I travel alone".

the leading investigator starts the book with looking up his female partner [in a police partner sense], she has become rather suicidal after a shooting accident in
Mandy
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not usually read a police procedural book. I love to read psychological thrillers, and sometimes the police officer is part of these books, but I don't enjoy the view of the police investigation usually. This book, however, was very different. And I really enjoyed it.
The two main characters were police officers, but pretty flawed ones, each with their own difficulties and demons. They were very real. And very human.
The investigation into the murders of four little girls was also very well
Mary
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
4.5* rounded to 5*.

Dear Reader,

If you're looking for a totally enthralling, intriguing and captivating story,then look no further than this book.

Faced with the deaths of two six year old children,Munch,Kruger and their team are faced with a most devious serial killer.

Found hanging from trees,with a satchel of schoolbooks,dressed in doll's clothes,these children pose a riddle to the masterminds in the Violent Crimes Unit.

Munch,dealing with his own personal problems has to juggle the pressuring
Lorraine Southern
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10/85, 4 stars ****

This book is over 500 pages long and is classed as a 'Nordic noir' crime thriller - 2 traits that normally put me right off a book! I've read Larsson and Nesbo and, yes, both are very good but both are also, in my opinion, guilty of going on and on and on, leading me to 'drift off' and get bored ;) As a result and wrongly so, I know, I tend to lump all this type of thriller together and avoid them all unless I'm in the right mood to tackle one of them!
This book however,
Lo O'Neill
In my office the majority of my team are book lovers and we have serious problems with getting rid of books so we decided that the only way that we could get around our partners telling us off for our book hoarding was to create a book swap shelf in work. From that shelf this is my first read and I gotta say, I was excited.

First things first, all the accolades on the back of this book are true!

At the start of this novel, the author introduces us to a lot of different characters within a short
Silvanna
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave up on this after 140 pages. Frankly, I couldn't get into the story.
Rowena Hoseason
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This atmospheric debut novel is far smarter and more subtle than its slightly clumsy cover title and marketing blurb suggest. I almost left it on the shelf – put off by the suggestion of a serial killer preying on kiddies on international air-flights. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt and was rewarded with a well-plotted, mature and intelligent thriller.

ITA introduces a police investigative team with the emphasis on the lead duo. This pair shares many similarities with Saga and Martin from
Linda
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4.5*

I Travel Alone is a compelling thriller that makes you wanna read and read and read without stopping.
It was written in short chapters, each with different characters. But even though there were so many characters, they were still well written, and didn't lack character development at all. Because of the short chapters it's very easy to read.
The story was great too; those dark murders, Mia (the depressed detective), the Christian 'cult', and the boys in the forest...
Only downside was that it
Vilma Iris
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Fast paced, compelling and addictive. A great thriller.
Bandit
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title refers to what is found written on the bodies of six year old girls, which should give you an idea of just how dark this mystery thriller is. It scores highly in both categories, the twists and turns of the plot and the taut pacing make for a very thrilling mystery indeed. Norway setting adds that something extra, a different perspective, mostly telling in the way characters think of these gruesome murders as distinctly American in nature. Not something to be proud of, that sort of ...more
Hannah
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mia might just be my favourite detective! This book is fast moving and gripping. It includes psychological problems, coming to grips with depression and professional failure, a cult, child neglect and a mass murderer. He book is packed with twists! It's a riveting Nordic Noir and I absolutely loved it!

the book was at times quite fast-paced, at times quite slow and detailed in the insight it provided into the characters' lives. The reader gets to know the characters' inner lives intimately, such
Jaksen
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a different kind of mystery, fer sure.

There are two detective MC's here, partners, one an older fellow, Holger Munch, learning to live alone after a failed marriage. He's a bit of a curmudgeon in temperament, a bit set in his ways. The other is Mia Kruger, set on committing suicide on a certain date so she can join her deceased twin sister. Both are on a path, though, to redemption - or maybe just consideration of what life still requires of them.

Young girls are being found dead,
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
As I am sitting here trying to figure out how to write a review for this book, I think I am slowly coming to terms that I am not positive how to word my feelings.

I'm Traveling Alone is a US debut novel by a Norwegian novelist about two detectives who are in a fight against time to track down a vengeful killer coming after six year old girls. To say that I breezed through this book would be a lie, but not for completely negative reasons.

This book was good. The writing was amazing. Samuel Bjørk is
Thriller fans: Jaartrilogie 1: Holger Munch & Mia Kruger #1 38 42 Jan 19, 2019 12:16PM
Club de lectura p...: Viajo sola - LA 3er bimestre 2018 (may/jul) 21 73 Jul 19, 2018 03:14PM
I'm Traveling Alone (Buddy Read) 15 29 Feb 23, 2018 06:38PM
Books Ever After: Readalong 20 tot 30 januari - Ik reis alleen 106 82 Feb 07, 2017 02:55PM

• The Chestnut Man
  • Victim Without a Face (Fabian Risk, #1)
  • Lazarus (Joona Linna, #7)
  • Golden Cage
  • Spring Tide (Rönning & Stilton, #1)
  • Ragdoll (Fawkes and Baxter, #1)
  • Hangman (Fawkes and Baxter, #2)
  • Knife (Harry Hole, #12)
  • Jentene fra balletten
  • Det innerste rommet (William Wisting, #13)
  • Third Voice (Rönning & Stilton, #2)
  • Anne: kroniek van een zoektocht
  • Negen (Fabian Risk #2)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Helen Grace, #2)
  • The Hypnotist (Joona Linna, #1)
  • Eeny Meeny (Helen Grace, #1)
  • De underkända (Sebastian Bergman, #5)
  • DNA (Children's House, #1)
Samuel Bjørk is the pen name of Norwegian novelist, playwright and singer/songwriter Frode Sander Øien.

Bjørk’s first installment in the Mia and Munch Series, I’m Traveling Alone, is an international success story that has gained critical acclaim and captivated readers all over the world, including hitting #1 on German newspaper Der Spiegel‘s bestseller list.

Samuel Bjørk has been compared to the

Holger Munch & Mia Kruger (3 books)
  • Uglen (Holger Munch og Mia Kruger #2)
  • Gutten som elsket rådyr (Holger Munch & Mia Kruger #3)
“enlighten me.’ Munch” 1 likes