Start by marking “The Hunter and the Witch (Crescent City Arcana #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Hunter and the Witch (Crescent City Arcana #0.5)

The Hunter and the Witch

(Crescent City Arcana #0.5)

A Crescent City Arcana short story

A lethal stranger hunted Bethany Hayes down and nearly killed her. But without uttering a single word, he spared her life and vanished, turning her world upside down. Left with newfound abilities and visions of her attacker, Beth tried to make the most of this second chance.

Lucius Sempronius Asper learned to kill in the amphitheaters of an
ebook, Smashwords, 24 pages
Published April 28th 2015 by Rachel Chanticleer

To ask other readers questions about The Hunter and the Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunter and the Witch

Start your review of The Hunter and the Witch (Crescent City Arcana #0.5)
Werner
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of urban fantasy short stories
Recommended to Werner by: My Goodreads friend E. G. gave it five stars
This short e-story serves as a prequel for the author's self-published Crescent City Arcana urban fantasy series, providing an origin story for her hero and an explanation of how he and the heroine met. Being a fan of the fiction of the supernatural, when my Goodreads friend E.G. gave it a five-star rating and mentioned in her review that it's free on Kindle, I was intrigued enough to check it out. While I didn't like it quite as much as she did, I did find it an enjoyable light read to pass tim ...more
Renégade ♥
4 to 4 1/2 stars

In this novelette, we are introduced to Lucius Sempronius Asper, a former gladiator and slave, trapped into the role of unwilling assassin by an evil sorceress. Heartless and power hungry, she forces him to hunt and destroy other witches for centuries.

She bent down to meet his eyes. "This will be your fate if you disobey me. I brought you from the edge of death, and I can take you back to it. I will keep you alive in this state of torment until the end of time, slave. You will k
WhiskeyintheJar
I read this for the Witches square for Halloween Bingo

The vision she'd seen in the waters of her scrying bowl under the glow of tonight's moon showed her yet another witch with the potential to become more powerful than herself. Helena couldn't ignore it. She had to act.

This was a Kindle Freebie I had downloaded a while ago, so I didn't do too much investigating beyond the title to make sure it matched the square. It is more of an introduction and set-up to the series. We are introduced to
Renégade ♥
ETA on 07/17/17:

The prequel for this series is perma-FREE (see various booksellers/links at bottom of post) and worth reading.

Now FREE on Smashwords:

This was voted by Gotta Have Romance with Kick group members as being one the top three winning stories of the 2014 Kick'n Writing Contest.

I'm so thrilled to now see it published and wanted to share! :)

My Review:

Available at:

Amazon:
Veronica Rosa
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witches, pnr, mage
It's amazing what some writers can put into a short story. I'm in serious awe of Rachel Chanticleer's talent. With a few words she painted a clear picture of Bethany, the witch, and Lucius, the hunter. And Lucius was so yummy!

I adored the battle scene near the end, and was on the edge of my seat throughout it. If I hadn't been at work, hiding my reading addiction, I would've cheered and groaned. *laughs*

A great introduction into what could be a fascinating UF world.

Edited to add that this is fre
Carvanz
What a great introduction to Ms. Chanticleer’s new Crescent City series. I just know I’m going to love both Beth and Lucius. What’s not to love about a centuries old gladiator turned witch assassin and a church raised witch who is coming into her own? Gotta say, I was expecting this to go a whole different direction so I’m especially excited to continue into the series with Infernal Embrace.

Dual POV
Safe
No Triggers
Kat Desi
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this short story packs quite a punch! Rachel Chanticleer is my writing buddy, but prior to the release of The Hunter and The Witch, I have not yet read any of her projects. I was blown away, totally exceeded my expectations. There is beauty in the way she writes; a phenomenal set of characters, great imagery presented, and an engaging plot. I want more. ;)

The Hunter and The Witch is available on Smashwords as a freebie

* * * * *

Heather Blair
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a GREAT debut novella.

I expected to like this, because I have seen some snippets of what Rachel is capable of in a few of our mutual GR groups, but this was terrific!

I love PNR because if it's done right, it generally comes with a good, rich backstory and in this book it is done perfectly.

Lucius was 'saved' from death long ago in Rome, but his salvation came with a heavy price, eternal servitude to an evil witch he has tried to escape for centuries. To no avail. Forced to be the unwill
Angel
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good introduction to the characters. It was well written and the descriptions flowed well. At first reading the visceral descriptions made me think of Gladiator the movie. The plotline about the older witch put me in the mind of Snow White. It was a well-thought out short prequel. The burgeoning romance between Beth and Lucius was sweet.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
2.5

The Hunter and the Witch is a nice little teaser story. It introduces a former gladiator and a young woman, who's just beginning to realise the power she has.

It's pretty short, but still manages to highlight at least a couple of entertaining things about these two, their history, her family and the secret world they are surrounded.

(view spoiler)
Denise
Wow! This is what a debut should be like. It had such a kick to the story that it was incredible how much it sucked you in for being less than 30 pages. This sucked me right into the story of dark magic, and witches being hunted for their powers. I seriously need books 2. You hear that Ms. Chanticleer? It's the sound of me wanting the next book like, right now, please! Lol.
Honestly, you will not be disappointed in this quick magical read.
E.G. Manetti
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This novella is so short, it is hard to write a review without spoilers. Suffice it that Lucius is hot, honorable, and through no fault of his own, in a bad spot. Bethany is bright, determined, and a little freaked by her paranormal abilities. Together they can be powerful. So come on Ms. Chanticleer - get on it. Where's the full length follow-up?
Kay (❦ ᴗ ❦ ✿) BooksandMe
Short and enjoyable read. It left me hanging in the end though, because I wanted more. I wanted to explore Bethany’s magic and prowess and Lucios’ killer skills. I hope there’s more to their adventure and relationship.
Iza Brekilien
Excellent start to a series, intriguing, I'll definitely read the rest ! ...more
Lorraine
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, paranormal
A short read that whets your appetite for what will hopefully continue in future books.
For a short read, the book contains plenty of detail, a good backstory, wonderful characters and an interesting plot.
BookWormAli
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! Im excited to read more about the characters and their new lives.
R.C. Matthews
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start off by saying that I really hope the author will continue with this story. The Hunter and the Witch is a short story and only whets your appetite. But if you only have a little time, then I highly recommend it. The book is well written and entertaining. The background story is very intriguing. I love Lucius already and we barely had a chance to meet him. Beth is a strong female lead and her Aunt May was a fun secondary character. I'm itching to know more about Beth's powers and I li ...more
Sawyer Belle
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this story. Great setup, great backstory...but too quick of an ending. I know it's a short story, but I wanted more meat of how Bethany got as strong as she did. The victory at the end seemed a bit unrealistic (funny word to use for this genre, I know) for Bethany being such a novice witch. The author's writing is solid and full of talent. I hope she keeps on writing. I'd definitely read more of her stuff! ...more
Heather Rizkallah
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since Beth had a accident coming home from her friend house during Mardi Gras, she had strengthened her witch powers. With the help of her aunt, she is possible the most powerful witch around. But the oldest witch, wants Beth's powers for her own. So she tricks a gladiator to do her bidding. She didn't expect him to fall for Beth in the process is hunting her down ...more
Lakshmi C
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RTC
Marie
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice!

An entertaining short story that hooked me quickly with an interesting world and likeable characters. Will definitely have to check out more from this author.
Fiona McShane
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In ancient Rome, a witch (Helena) saves a gladiator(Lucius Sempronius Asper) from death, but she wants something in return.

Lucius works for Helena for centuries, helping her hunt down other witches so that she can stay young and powerful. He hates his life with Helena, but it’s not until 2015, during a New Orleans Mardi Gras, that Lucius is truly tested.

Bethany Hayes is an unschooled witch, but her powers are growing stronger. Will she be able to fight off the hunter sent after her? Will Lucius,
Ramona Plant
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hunter and the Witch is a great short story written by Rachel Chanticleer. Once I knew that I was going to read Infernal Embrace and realized this short story explained the beginning and bonus was free, I decided to read this first. What a great teaser. After I read this short story I was confirmed in my decision and was really looking forward to reading Infernal Embrace.

This short story is a fun quick read that tells you how Lucius and Bethany basically met. It gives a nice background on wh
Shannon Risdon
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down

This was a great read. Just enough detail to keep you interested in the characters with mystery, the unknown and magic. Lucius forced to do unspeakable acts but enough freedom to do it his was, and one of his prey that switches it up. Beth develops wonderfully and comes into her own...and great start to what looks like a great series
Cozen
It was alright. I had originally intended to read the first in the series but was informed that this was to be read first. I read it but nothing really extraordinary came from it. Might hold off on reading the first book.
Jhyde
unexpectedly short but good

How it ended made me a bit disappointed because I wanted to have some more but it's pretty good, lots of mystery in how it's gonna play out. Looking forward to reading the next book.
Lora
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really liked this book!
Isobel Robertson
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short, and lots of fun! There was a lot of action and excitement packed into this short story, with a strong sense of atmosphere.
Misty l Otto
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

Great start to a series. It is well written and above all Very interesting. And can't wait to learn more about the characters
Nicole
Interesting short story, the origin story for a series. I would be interested in trying the series but this one was too short for more than three stars.
Indie Authors Mon...: FREE short Urban Fantasy origin story 1 9 Oct 06, 2015 07:54AM

• Fever (Blood Moon Rising, #1)
  • Savage Planet Warrior (Savage Planet, #1)
  • Kitty Cat (Age of Night, #1)
  • Nothing New Under the Sun / The Wolves of Freydis / The Alboran Codex / The Nabatean Secret (The Carter Devereux #1-4)
  • Haunted by Love
  • Wicked of the Christmas Past (Paranormal in Manhattan, #4)
  • Aaron (Rocked by the Bear, #4)
  • Rescued
  • Ghosts in Glass Houses
  • 'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Bombay Assassins, #1)
  • Code for Murder
  • Pounced (Were-Soldier Warriors #2)
  • Bravo Bear (The Agency, #1)
  • The Dragon Shifter's Babies
  • Death at First Sight (Spero Heights Book 2)
  • Seduced by Innocence (The Seduced Saga, #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets (J.J. Graves Mystery, #1)
  • Dark Passions
Rachel Chanticleer is a writer who sees beauty in darkness, and can find a love story where you'd least expect it. Her stories often feature worlds where the paranormal hides just out of view—until it's time to turn the lives of her characters upside down. She lives in a former steel town along the East Coast's revitalized Rust Belt.

Rachel Chanticleer on Facebook

Crescent City Arcana (1 books)
  • Infernal Embrace (Crescent City Arcana, #1)