Start by marking “Origins (Summoner, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Origins (Summoner, #0.5)

Origins

(Summoner 0.5)

The prequel to the explosive new fantasy trilogy, Summoner. Set in a time before The Novice, this prequel is the perfect introduction to the world of the Summoner.

Arcturus is just an orphaned stableboy when he discovers he has the ability to summon demons from another world. He is sent to Vocans Military Academy where the lost arts of summoning, spellcraft and demonology a
Published April 1st 2015 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Origins, please sign up.
Robin Vermeersch I always read prequels after. It makes more sense this way, usually revelations and information is stronger.

Samir
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice introduction to the series. It has a bit of a Harry Potter vibe and I quite liked it. I want know more about the characters so I'm looking forward continuing.
Scott  Hitchcock
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Good primer to reading the series starting next month. Although the themes are nothing new I did like the world, characters and writing style.
Sara Saif
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This didn't tell a lot that wasn't in the first book but it was nice to get a refresher of sorts on characters and the summoning process both of which I might not have grasped firmly earlier.
Natari
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is obviously written for the younger audience. I know one should expect such with YA, but as an adult you feel yourself rolling your eyes at the type of language use or the way the hero speaks so blatantly. But then, I am impressed when adults can write like this. Not that Matharu is patronising, not at all. His words bring vibrancy to the world of Hominum, and his younger readers will not realise their vocabulary swell with the generals wearing their “tasselled epaulettes” on their sh ...more
Azbaqiyah
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A perfect blend of Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter and POKE'MON!

That's why I love it!

I really amaze how the author manage to describe the mana stuff. It's sooo details and easy to understand!

Keep up the good work!

For all LOTR, Potterheads and Poke'mon fans, this book and it's series is a MUST read!
Bart
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
3 stars.

Very pleasant prequel to the Summoner. I liked the concept of demons as familiars.
The story, however not that original, is a very cosy read.
Rian *fire and books*
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I read Outcast before I knew this existed... whoops?

I’m thankful that this was made into a full novel, which I loved.
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Orphan stable boy Arcturus life changes forever when he reads a scroll and discovers that he has the ability to summon demons. Arcturus with his demon Sacharissa, are sent to Vocans Military Academy to learn about his ability but as the first commoner with this ability he finds he has enemies. With only Sacha on his side, Arcturus has to prove himself as a worthy summoner.

Origins is the prequel novella in the Summoner series, which is fast paced, enjoyable and easy to read, and it was great to
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
A nice introduction to the series. A light and entertaining read. I liked the characters and the magic system and enjoyed the writing style.
Kirstie Ellen
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Origins

Prequel Fun
Origins takes place quite a few years before the first novel of the Summoner series, The Novice; and it’s really quite excellent. Revolving around the mysterious character of Arcturus (a professor in the first novel), we discover how he got into the academy and where exactly he fitted in, in the social spectrum of things. We find out some interesting things within the first novel that are also discussed within this book so it was fun to find out the more intricate details. It w
Dhiksha
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: awesome-loved-it
I was introduced to the Summoner world through wattpad, and The Novice and later the Origins were some of the first books that really captivated me. I loved the universe of summoners and demons, and I was insanely excited about the Origins ebook. My reaction at finding out it was available as a free ebook on the kindle store

So naturally, I downloaded it that instant and retreated into my little reading-shell for a couple of hours while I devoured it.
It was everything I expected and more. Arcturu
Etienne
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5/5. Good prequel to a great series. I read it after reading the first three books and I still enjoy it even if all the basic introduction to the world were a bit repetitive since I already knew most of it. It still can be read during the series, or start directly with it and you won’t be lost or bored in any way, and even if you don’t read it, you won’t be lost reading the others as well. So a good add-on to the series. A series that every fans, or future fans, of this series should read beca ...more
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I literally finished reading this last night and was amazed at how much I really enjoyed it. It's a short little prequel to the main Summoner books but it's perfectly formed and is a wonderful and rich story in it's own right.

Arcturus was a stable boy who found he had the ability to summon demons in the way that is usually only held by the upper classes, the first born nobles. After a run in with a noble boy that leaves Arcturus in accidental possession of the boy's demon and a subsequent face-t
Stephen C
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oooooh yes! This was a little gem and I loved it - I only wish it was longer! Here we have the back story of Arcturus, who by know you may know from your spell casting lesions in The Novice...and if you don't you get to know him a whole lot more and continue your journey.

Even though I cant actually pronounce his name I really like Arcturus and it was great to have his back story which was spoken a little about in The Novice but here we get to experience it and in a similar was to The Novice it r
Aoife
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy after finishing The Novice to realise there was a novella and, at 100 pages, this novella is decent sized and gives just the right amount of story.

Origins takes place when Summoners realise that commoners and not only nobles have the chance to summon demons and perform magic. Arcturus, who is Fletcher's mentor and teacher in The Novice, is the main character in Origins and the novella gives the reader a look at Votans in a way the other book didn't. The Novice is set in a time whe
Pallabi Dutta
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I had downloaded it on my Kindle ages ago and still hadn't gotten to reading it. (FYI, it's free on amazon so go ahead and download it).
Surprisingly I liked it. But I felt that many more things could have been added but then again it was just a prequel. And mostly the thing that was going through my mind was wow I don't remember much from The Novice and after that I went to re-read or maybe glance in from chapter to chapter just so I will have a good idea about the plot.
I can't wait to
Connor
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a short little prequel to the series, and I really enjoyed it. I think you could read it any time, but reading after the first two books worked well for me. It was awesome to see the adults of Fletcher's life as children just beginning their own journeys, and knowing the things I know after The Inquisition allowed me to make a lot of connections that were happening within the story.
Timothy
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
He keeps bloody teasing me. Mr. Matharu your series is the number one that I have been looking forward to. Once I am done I am reading it all over again. Please, if you care, give me the second book. I look at the titles and I am more excited than my own girlfriend (which has never happend before).
Alexandra
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice prologue to the Summoner-series. It definitely makes a new reader curious about the first book The Novice and is a good 'follow-up' for anyone who has already read The Novice and/or The Inquisition already.
Debrac2014
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this prequel to the Summoner trilogy! Arcturus is a commoner who can summon a demon. When discovered, he's sent to Vocans Military Academy to learn the art of summoning demons.
Johanna
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the backstory you get with this novella. I wanted to know more about this particular story when I read the first book so it's great that this exists!

4/5 stars
FletcherWuLf
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this before reading the novice and found it really good and a nice introduction and it eplains some hings from the novice a bit more!!!
Tushar Patel
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Star

This is a prequel of a story Summoner series, it is well written story and introduction of the world, its give some Insight how the world function. can't wait to start The Novice!!!!
Kevin
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well damn it I want more of Arcturus' back story and I want it now lol. I loved seeing all of the adult characters from the novice back in the schoolboy days. I still want my very own Sacharissa!
Antoinique
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcase
*3.5 stars
charmaine mitchell
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Loved reading this was great to get a look into the past before novice. Now I have to continue to wait for book 3 can't come fast enough
Mauri
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I loved reading about Arcturus as a teenager. His origin story is similar to Fletcher, but it was a wild ride for such a short story. I wish the author would write a series about Arcturus! Some violence, minimal mild cursing, and such a fun look into the earlier lives of a lot of the adults in the Summoner Trilogy.
Daniel
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Origin

Title kinda covers it. Went into detail more of the professors childhood which is cool. Good to know Charles and rook were always giant Richards. The wendigo and Minotaur fight was nice as well.
Maia Moore
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original review posted here

This is a quick, easy to read prequel to The Novice, Book One in the series by Taran Mathuru that everyone seems to be talking about right now, which is easy to see why when it's described as Harry Potter meets Pokémon.

I actually enjoyed this more than The Novice, which I read first. It's interesting to see how Arcturus started out, especially as he has similar underdog qualities to the next book's protagonist, Fletcher. It adds colour to some of the background things
Ricky
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This new series has been super-hella-hyped on Wattpad, and so before I began Book 1, I decided I needed to take a look at this novella first. From what I hear, the main characters in this story aren't those from The Novice - but I could be wrong. The Novice (which I had to special-order from Marin County Library) is still sitting and waiting for me to crack it open.

What we've got here is a Soulbound-level Mashup of Everything. There's definite influences of Pokemon (the creatures from another wo
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Glass Frost (Frost, #2)
  • Other Worlds
  • A Heart of Ice (Araneae Nation, #0.5)
  • Poison Dance (Midnight Thief, #0.5)
  • Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)
  • Пересмешник
  • Tech, Lies, and Wizardry (Black Ocean #0.5)
  • Räuberherz
  • Falling (The 1000 Revolution)
  • Circus Maximus (History Keepers, #2)
  • ロザリオとバンパイア season II 14 [Rozario to Banpaia Season II 14] (Rosario+Vampire Season II, #14)
  • The Devil & Venus di Milo (Witches Anonymous, #0.5)
  • Ascendancy (The Godswar Saga, #1)
  • Come to Me (Black Magic, #2)
  • Relish (Vicious Feast, #2)
  • Here There Be Dragons
  • The Dagger's Path (The Forsaken Lands, #2)
  • Rotkäppchen und der Hipster-Wolf
Taran Matharu is the New York Times bestselling author of the Summoner series, which has been translated into 15 languages and has sold over a million copies in English. He was born in London in 1990.

Taran began to write the SUMMONER series in November 2013 at the age of 22, taking part in ‘Nanowrimo 2013’ and sharing his work on Wattpad.com. The shared sample of the story went viral, reaching ove

Summoner (4 books)
  • The Novice (Summoner, #1)
  • The Inquisition (Summoner, #2)
  • The Battlemage (Summoner, #3)
  • The Outcast (Summoner, #0.1)
“But he is the black to your grey. In the end, you are all stained with the evil that is the human condition.” 7 likes
“andme.” 2 likes