Start by marking “Speak of the Devil (Speak of the Devil, #1)” as Want to Read:
Speak of the Devil (Speak of the Devil, #1)

Speak of the Devil

(Speak of the Devil #1)

What happens when falling in love and falling from grace collide?

After dying in a car accident with her two best friends, Lily miraculously awakens to grief and guilt. She escapes to her dad’s to come to terms with the event and meets some people at her new school who seem all too eager to help her heal. Sliding deeper into sorrow and trying to fight her feelings for two o
Paperback, 2, 262 pages
Published April 15th 2015 by Shawna Romkey (first published March 10th 2013)

Jeanette
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speak of the Devil is a great debut novel by Shawna Romkey! The young adult book will touch people of all ages and leave the readers longing for more. I cannot wait to read Romkey's squeal. I could see Speak of the Devil becoming the next Twilight or Beautiful Creatures (and yes, I would love to see a movie)!
Stephanie
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!

What an one say on a book that captivates them from the first words, to the end of the epilogue?

Shawna Romkey shines!!

Meet Lily, just a normal run of the day 17 yr old and her friends Mike and Julie. Out to a party they go on a rainy night only to have their lives snapped from them. Lily survives, how she does not know or why. All she knows is that life as she knew it is over. She retreats into herself, then deciding to run from her tragedy, her pain and goes to the big city to be with her
Juliet
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Juliet by: my sister
I really enjoyed this book!!! For a young-adult book this touches on some major issues. Unexpected death and the questions about God that naturally arise because of it. How we grieve, love, and relate to others. And of course the battle between good and evil. It also has one of the most beautiful and magical kisses I've ever read. Full of life and love....This book totally rocks!
Sylvia
I really found myself drawn into the story quickly and before I knew it I had read most of it in one sitting.

It was the voice of Lily, the main protagonist, that captivated me, and the countless issues she had to deal with at such a young age. From the get go, we are plunged into her world of depression and heartache, and her constant questioning of her existence and God. You see, Lily died, along with her two closest friends whom perished. But, what is remarkable, is the fact that she awakened
Michelle Bissett
Speak of the Devil gives the perfect setting into a teenagers life whose world is turned upside down when she discovers that she was the only survivor from a car crash which killed her two best friends. Lily's journey through her recovery leads her to her fathers doorstep and takes her on an emotional roller coaster of who and what to believe.

Shawna provides you with a descriptive dialogue through Lily's eyes and is a fantastic first book, leaving you wanting to find out more about Lily's supern
Charissa Nelson
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew from the second I laid eyes on the cover of this book I was going to fall in love. And Ms. Romkey did not disappoint. Everything about this story had me hooked. The setting in my home state of Missouri. The YA genre with a unique paranormal storyline. Strong characters, both male and female, some who have you rooting for their success, and some who you just wish would disappear.

The story follows Missouri native, Lily Tyler, who is involved in a tragic accident with her best friend Julie a
Jody
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, entertaining, and light read -- with a hint of dark.
I thoroughly enjoyed every page of this book. The author has a quirky and smart sense of humor that comes across through her characters.
Lily is an average mid-western girl who is a bit nerdy and just wants to get through high school with her two best friends. When tragedy strikes, Lily moves to St. Louis, starts a new school, and suddenly finds herself surrounded by a group of not so normal drama students. At first sight she feels an ins
Rebecca
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: ya
In Speak of the Devil we are literally thrown into the action. Lily is involved in a horrific accident where her two best friends are killed. Actually she dies, but is brought back to life. How is someone so young going to deal with this? Why didn't she die? Why were they taken? I've often wondered this myself. [Teenagers are too young to realize things will get better, that it won't always be so.]

Though Lily loves her mother dearly, she decides to leave and go to live with her father in a diff
Kate Robbins
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“There was gas in the tank, a cell phone charger in the car, an angel sitting next to me, what did I have to lose?”

Sole survivor of a tragic car accident, teenage Lily struggles to carry on with her life after losing her two best friends. Lily’s attempt to escape the torment of survivor’s guilt fails and her despair follows her to a new town and a new school. I felt her agony every step of the way.

Romkey does an incredible job of drawing the reader into every ounce of anguish Lily feels all the
Constance Phillips
Loved this book.

In the young adult, paranormal novel, Speak of the Devil, Romkey tackles some tough issues. The line between good, evil, falling and redemption are drawn and then blurred.

A car accident takes the life of the heroine Lily’s two closest friends. She survives, only after enduring a near-death experience that leaves her asking all the tough questions. The same ones we’ve all asked after losing someone unexpectedly, someone you believed was too young to die. Anyone who has mourned a
Cher
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" Speak of the Devil " by Shawna Romkey is a great read for young and old. I couldn't put the book down once I picked up a copy. I really am looking forward to see what happens to all the characters in the sequel. Definitely would recommend this book.
Jenny Whetzel
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this despite sad parts of the story. The characters were likable and you couldn't help but wonder what the group of new friends were saying about Lily. I had a difficult time putting this down and am positive I will be purchasing the next in the series. :)
Andi
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was a quick read, but the plot and writing style were somewhat better suited to teenagers, rather than adults. The rave reviews just didn't hold true for me.
Coco.V
Mar 13, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (3/13/2019)! 🎁
Bitten_by_Books
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lynn
Lily is in high school with her two best friends, Julie and Mike. They do everything together and are looking forward to the end of the school year. When Julie and Mike pick up Lily, they have no idea that their lives are about to change forever. After a horrific car accident, Lily is left to deal with the fact that she will never see her best friends again. The loss is overwhelming, and when she tries to go back to school, she cannot help but stare at their empty desks any longer. Making a huge ...more
Maria's Book Blog
If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would! It was such an amazing story and so well written. Lately I've come across a number of books with a ridiculous amount of typos, grammatical errors and storylines that just didn't flow. Speak of the Devil has totally raised the bar in my mind, every book I read in the future will be compared to this one. The amount of time and energy put into writing this story shows in each and every page. I was absolutely hooked from beginning to end and can't ...more
Nancy Griffis
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So yeah. Not ashamed to admit I read this book in one night. It helped that I'm not working at the moment, mostly because I didn't have to deal with a lack-of-sleep hangover the next day. ;o)

Speak of the Devil

From the blurb: What happens when falling in love and falling from grace collide?

Heather Wood
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speak of the Devil was a fun and exciting read. I liked the main character Lily’s spunk and I wasn’t expecting the twists and turns the story would take after Lily meets a mysterious group of friends at her new school.

The book starts out exciting and I liked the author’s writing style. She has a talent for building up the suspense of a scene and it kept me reading. I really felt like she did a good job at describing the state of mind and emotions of a teen girl who has gone through a tragedy li
Katie O'Sullivan
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This well-written debut novel features a quirky heroine who struggles with issues of self-doubt and self-discovery. Ms. Romkey does a nice job of bringing the reader into Lily’s world, and making us root for her to succeed. The narrator’s often sarcastic and self-deprecating asides will appeal to teen and adult readers alike as we watch Lily try to make sense of her world.

The story is told in first person, entirely from Lily’s point of view. She’s a typical teenager, and seems fine with being h
Nikki McIntosh
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Speak of the Devil is a great debut from new author Shawna Romkey!

Lily is a regular teen who's not part of the "in" crowd, but happy to have 2 close friends who like her for who she is. When all three of them are in a car accident, Lily loses the 2 people closest to her that understand her the best, while she struggles to deal with the guilt of her survival.

Moving to a new school, she falls in with a new crowd - but there's something different about them that she can't put her finger on ..

Don't
Marlene Davis
This book was completely awesome!!! I was there when Lily lost her friends. I felt her pain and her grief....I was amazed with her guardian angel. The suspense....the mystery...the love. Beautifully written. Two enthusiastic thumbs waaay up!!!!! Looking forward to the next one.
Sara
I received this book in exchange for an honest review (Lovers of Paranormal).

Wow.... that was a powerful read. It was touching in so many good and bad ways.
It started out being so sad it was painful. I could feel Lily's pain and loss. I liked her most of the time. Although there were a few times I thought she was just acting stupid. But she was a good character.
Mo was a weird character. I didn'tlike him much from the start, even before he fell. And I didn't know what he was up to.
Well, actuall
Wendy
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, romance
I finished this book on April 2, 2013. I rated it on Goodreads with intention of returning to leave a review, and then…stuff happened. It was nine months ago, I don’t even remember what the stuff was. Pathetic. Truly pathetic. Anyhow, I received this book from Crescent Moon Press in exchange for my honest opinion.

Teenagers are complicated, sensitive creatures, and on the surface, Lily is normal for her age. She loves her friends. She loves going out with her friends, Mike and Julie, who are not
Kristina
I really enjoyed this title a lot. It is about a girl named Lily who is involved in a car accident where her two closest friends (and herself for a good 10 minutes or so) die. Not dealing with the pain of their loss very well she decided to pack her stuff and go and live with her dad; new family, new school, new life, and she may just find some answers to that burning question, "Why?"

All of us go through hard times and horrible situations, and every now and then we ask ourselves "why," or "is an
Bishieaddict
I received this book in exchange for an honest review (LoP or Lovers of Paranormal)

This was a pleasant surprise. I didn't know what to expect when I read the first couple of pages. It opens up with a teenage girl, Lily, getting ready to go out with her friends. To be honest, I was a bit annoyed with her attitude, as Lily seemed a bit immature. She mentions they have been "BFF", yet she has only known them for a year. So at first I didn't feel any real connection with Lily.

After the first chapter
Erin
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine being in high school, and being in a car accident with your two best (and only) friends. Now imagine dying with them, then coming back to life at the scene of the accident, to the shock of everyone. This is only the beginning of Lily’s story. The book was very well written, showing that especially at her age, it would be amazingly difficult to come to terms with you friends dying, and “why me”, when she’s the only one that survives. And even moving to a new town doesn’t change the strugg ...more
Julia Phillips Smith
Shawna Romkey's debut novel packs Young Adult yearning for love with the paranormal powerhouse of angels and demons duking it out for earthly souls. Remember when you were a senior in high school and everything felt as if the world would end if this didn't happen or that thing did happen? For main character Lily, it's not about outfits that don't pull together. It's about the war in heaven ending up as her school newspaper assignment.

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL brings readers to contemporary Missouri, wh
Maer
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lily Tyler dies and is revived after a tragic accident that takes the lives of her two best friends. Broken-hearted, she moves to live with her father and his family. At her new school strange events and new friends (who are themselves a bit strange) surround her as she tries to come to grips with sorrow and loss.

This debut YA novel by Shawna Romkey can be enjoyed by adults. Lily is realistic, multi-layered and very sympathetic. She immediately draws you into her life and situation. Some of othe
Julia
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I went with the flow of the teenage language and train of thought(I'm heading into my croning years and am cursed with a love to edit other people's grammar), I had no trouble getting into this story of a young woman who courageously struggles to deal with loss, and life afterwards, and the push and pull of darkness and light. Speak of the Devil leads you to examine your own feelings and beliefs around these oh-so-human questions. This young adult paranormal book has the air of Harry Potter ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New edition 4 232 Mar 30, 2015 05:45PM
Lovers of Paranor...: R2R {313} Speak of the Devil COMPLETED 17 95 May 13, 2014 09:40AM
International Gir...: Speak of the Devil by Shawna Romkey 41 81 Jan 09, 2014 10:05PM
  • Death Lies Between Us (An Angel Falls, #1)
  • Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)
  • Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts, #1)
  • The Fire of Merlin (The Return to Camelot, #2)
  • The Summoner (The Legends of Arth, #1)
  • Stardust (Of Dust and Darkness, #2)
  • A Stiff Kiss
  • Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence #1)
  • Casted (The Casted Series Book 1)
  • Shooting Stars (A Surah Stormsong Novel, #1)
  • Stealing Breath (Stealing Breath, #1)
  • The Language of Souls
  • The Wyckham House
  • Spellbound
  • Unholy Death (Requiem #2)
  • True Love's First Kiss (Queen of the Realm of Faerie 1-3)
  • Prince of Light (Prince of Light, #1)
  • Echo of an Earth Angel (Earth Angel Trilogy, #1)
USA Today best-selling author, Shawna grew up around farms in the heart of Missouri but went to the University of Kansas, was raised in the US but now lives on the ocean in Nova Scotia with her husband, two sons, two dogs and one overgrown puppy from hell. She’s a non-conformist who follows her heart.

She has her BA in creative writing from the University of Kansas where one of her plays was chosen

Speak of the Devil (3 books)
  • The Devil Made Me Do It (Speak of the Devil, #2)
  • The Devil You Know (Speak of the Devil, #3)