Start by marking “In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)

In Midnight's Silence

(Los Nefilim #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  180 ratings  ·  69 reviews
A lyrical tale in a world of music and magic, T. Frohock's In Midnight's Silence --the first novella in the Los Nefilim series--shows the lengths a man will go to save the people he loves, and the sides he'll choose when the sidelines are no longer an option.

The fate of mankind has nothing to do with mankind…

Born of an angel and a daimon, Diago Alvarez is a singular being
Published June 23rd 2015 by Harper Voyager Impulse

To ask other readers questions about In Midnight's Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Midnight's Silence

really liked it 4.00  ·

Mark Lawrence
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a joy to read. Teresa Frohock's début, Miserere, came out in 2011 and it's a crime we've had to wait until 2015 to see more long fiction from her.

The best thing about this story is the writing. It's just excellent. Not overdone, not clunky, just fluid and assured. It puts you there, you believe it, you believe the setting, the people, everything. I can see why Voyager picked this up, the writing can stand and look any piece of literary fiction in the eye without blinking first.

The chara
Emma
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was superb. Set in the civil war era in Barcelona before the Second World War, this is no modern urban fantasy take on angels, nefilim, demons and vampires. This is a much darker version. I love how song is interwoven into the magic. How Frohock manages to fit so much atmosphere, back story and world building into this short novella is beyond me, but I LOVED it. I am thoroughly impressed and can't wait to explore more of her work. Recommended.
T. Frohock
Sep 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all of the reviews and ratings for the novellas!

For those of you who enjoyed IN MIDNIGHT'S SILENCE, you might like the sequels: WITHOUT LIGHT OR GUIDE, which continues Diago's story, as well as the conclusion of the novellas, THE SECOND DEATH.

I wrote the novellas like the old radio serials from the 1940s with each story having a beginning, a middle, and an end. However, when you read the novellas back-to-back, they read very much like a novel.

A brand ne
Lukasz
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella
Set in 1931 Spain, Im Midnight’s Silence focuses on Diago, a half-daimon, half-angel being working for Los Nefilim - an organisation bringing together and employing the offspring of angels and daimons. Consider them the soldiers of higher angels. Each Los Nefilim member has a special power that comes with a price. The music-based magic / power felt fresh and unique.

Frohock’s angels are a bunch of scheming bastards who will stop at nothing to reach their goals. Diago and his partner Miquel are a
Wendy
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The magic of music, angels, and daimons. There is so much sinister elegance in these things that Frohock combines so beautifully in the first book of her Los Nefilim series.

Diago Alvarez is born of angel and daimon, and, despite the mundane life he seems to lead (teaching piano lessons to bratty kids, avoiding said bratty kid's mom's advances), there is obviously something more to him. A darkness that one might think leans more to his daimon side than the angels. But this too is a wonderful dece
Beth
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the third story of T. Frohock's that I've read--the first being the novel she wrote as Teresa Frohock, Miserere, and the second being "The Broken Road." In all of these, I've most enjoyed the unsettling otherworlds Frohock has built, and characters I can really sympathize with.

I felt the world-building was done especially well in this one. I got a good idea of the tensions in Barcelona, and of the various factions and interbreeding of daimon, angel, and human, with little or no info-dump
Kristen
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
In Midnight's Silence, a dark fantasy novella set in Barcelona, Spain in the 1930s, is an intriguing beginning to a new series. It's very much about the choices of the main character, who is complex and multi-dimensional. The world is also compelling, particularly the angels who are not at all angelic! While I did find parts of the beginning slow, I enjoyed it overall and am looking forward to finding out what happens next in Without Light or Guide (coming November 3)!

3 1/2 stars (liked it)

Full
Saphirablue
Michael Fletcher
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous.

I'll definitely be reading Without Light or Guide.
Bart
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, fantasy
Actual rating: 5.00 (!)
Joel
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really love Teresa's writing - this is yet another wonderful story by her, with real-feeling and visceral characters, great dialogue, and real emotions. I really, really enjoyed this piece.
T.O. Munro
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Back in January of this year Goodreads tempted me to set a target for books read this year. In the spirit of continuous incremental "improvement" which has dominated my working life in education in the UK, and in homage to Hitch Hiker's Guide to the galaxy, I promised myself I would read 42 books in 2015, one more than the 41 I clocked up in 2014. It is now late August in a year dominated by exceptional work and life pressures, we are nearly two thirds of the way through the year and I am barely ...more
Lynn Williams
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
In Midnight’s Silence is a short story which brings to us a wonderfully strange world where Angels, Daimons and Los Nefilim roam amongst us.

The main characters of the story are Diago, Miguel and Raefael and the story starts in Seville during the 1930’s. At the start of the story Diago returns to his apartment to find evidence of a struggle and his partner Miguel missing.

I’m not really going to elaborate on the plot but will say this is incredibly easy to r
Lisa
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Review from TenaciousReader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/0...

A Midnight’s Silence is another solid story by T. Frohock. Real characters are placed in dark and distressing situations, using a combination of music, magic, love and trust to survive. It introduces the reader to a world of angels and daimons in 1930s Spain, with our protagonist Diago being half angel, half daimon. This puts him in a unique position because the two worlds generally don’t play all that nice with each other (as
Kenny Soward
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Teresa's and really enjoyed Miserere: An Autumn Tale. I think, as other reviewers have pointed out, Teresa has a direct and stripped-down style which lends itself to an overall elegance of storytelling.

In Midnight's Silence stops just shy of being truly "weird fiction" and is not quite urban fantasy either. I'm reminded of some of Anne Rice's earlier vampire novels where characters of great depth, dramatic flair, and history are thrust onto a stage furnished with antiquated and
Courtney Schafer
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In Midnight's Silence may be a novella, but it packs a ton of character and story into its pages. Half-angel, half-daimon protagonist Diago is drawn with such deft strokes in the opening scenes that when he soon faces some terrible choices, I was biting my nails and praying for him to find a solution that wouldn't come with an equally terrible price. In Midnight's Silence is dark and beautiful and evocative; it's a great introduction to Frohock's work if you've never read her before, and a long- ...more
Mieneke
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
In Midnight's Silence is the first entry in a new series of novella's by T. Frohock. After having read and enjoyed her previous novella The Broken Road last year, I couldn't wait to read the first on the Los Nefilim sequence, because how could I not want to read about fallen angels, daimons and Civil War-era Spain? It turns out, I can't resist at all, since I tore through the book in an afternoon, only coming up for air once I finished it.

The main story is told over the course of only a couple
Chris
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In Midnight’s Silence is the first in Teresa Frohock’s “Los Nefilim” novella sequence. It posits a world in which angels and demons are physically real, and inhabit the world alongside humanity – largely cloaked in shadows. Their children, the Nefilim of the title, are something else again – and the struggle and sacrifice of some of them is central to Frohock’s story.

The world of Los Nefilim is set in the Spain of the nineteen-thirties, several years before the civil war. In most respects, it re
Heather Allen
This review originally appeared on Around the World in 80 Books!
This novella is about the sacrifices people will make on behalf of those they love or have the potential to love. The story takes place in late 1930’s Barcelona. Protagonist Diago finds out his boyfriend Miquel has been kidnapped by an angel, he goes to find him without a second thought. Miquel is a part of Los Nefilim, a group that “monitors daimonic activity for the angels.” I imagined it as a sort of CIA/FBI/secret agent sort of
Brian
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teresa-frohock
When I was younger I read several series by an author and I was fascinated by the passion and love that the author had for their characters, especially the MC. The fourth series I saw a drastic change in that the love and passion. It was literally gone. The work wasn’t rubber stamped and still was a good series but not great like the previous three. I have read authors that have that passion for their characters or their stories or certain scenes above other scenes. In reading In Midnight’s Sile ...more
Kristobelle
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, reread
Still 5 stars.. If you can make me teary eyed, and laugh simultaneously, you win the stars. I'm going to do a thingy on the bloggity blog once I've finished novella 3, to incorporate all the thoughts..
Galleywampus -
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent work here. A review of the first two installments is forthcoming, likely in January.
Rubi
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Llena de amor y música, dos de mi ingredientes favoritos.
Full of love and music, two of my favorite ingredients.
keikii Eats Books
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
96 points, 5 stars!

I put together a review for the omnibus on my blog, keikii eats books.
Liz
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

Something awful has happened. Diago Alvarez had thought all he had to worry about were the amorous advances of his sullen piano pupil’s mother, but something has come back from his past, not just to haunt him but to destroy him. In a fast-paced start to her three-part series Los Nefilim, Frohock takes her readers to the mouth of hell and back in In Midnight’s Silence.

Frohock is no stranger to the strange, and In Midnight’s Silence is delightfully eerie while also being poignant and soulful. It’s

Mia
Apr 14, 2015 added it
***NOTE: Related story: Hisses and Wings, a short story co-written by T. Frohock and Alex Bledsoe

It is 1930s Barcelona, a city with undercurrents of conflict and a populace almost frantic in the pursuit of distraction. Diago is a half angel, half daimon who has lived difficult lives. His partner, Miquel, is a member of the Los Nefilim, marshals of the angels in keeping watch on the daimons. Their talent and magic lies in their music.

Being a half-breed, Diago's allegiance is sought by both sides
Hayley Stone
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
While this didn't turn out to be my cup of tea, it was still a delightfully eerie tale that weaves supernatural elements into a unique, often neglected historical setting seamlessly.

Frohock's writing is effortless, undeniably atmospheric and, at times, downright lovely. Since this is a horror story, those more lyrical moments add to the general sense of unease that accompanies Diago's journey to save Miquel and his son, Rafael. This should not be a beautiful story. But, in many ways, it is a lov
Tien
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Angels is far from being a favourite of mine in fiction BUT I might just change my mind now. In Midnight’s Silence is a dark fast-paced novella incorporating angels, daimons, music, sacrifice and love set in beautiful Spain. I keep having images of men in white flowing shirts (they don’t actually wear “flowing shirts” in the book but… what I see in my head is my prerogative!) playing guitars and gorgeous ladies doing the flamenco.

I love these characters with all their faults & strengths. The
Siobhan
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could go on for ages about the things I loved in this book. The characters are well-drawn and believable, the plotting is tight and effective, and the world works well. I want to particularly single out the writing of the children in the story. Rafael in particular is an absolute delight. A lovely book. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
  • The Devil's Colony
  • The Demon Prince (Ars Numina, #2)
  • Black Friday (Cassandra Palmer, #8.1)
  • Six
  • Ancient Enemies
  • When The Blue Shift Comes
  • The Memory of Fire (The Waking Land, #2)
  • Staged (Belonging, #3)
  • Sin City Goddess (Secret Goddess, #1)
  • Bagmen
  • Hawkeye, Volume 2
  • Edge of Darkness (Rhiannon's Law, #4)
  • The Devil's Bible (Bohemian Trilogy #2)
  • The Adventure of the Wollaston Ritual (The Baskerville Affair, #0.5)
  • Guard Wolf (Shifter Agents, #2)
  • The Malice (The Vagrant, #2)
  • Dead Man's Rain (Markhat, #2)
Website is at tfrohock.com

T. Frohock has turned a love of history and dark fantasy into tales of deliciously creepy fiction. A real-life cyborg, T has a cochlear implant, meaning she can turn you on or off with the flick of a switch. Make of that what you will. She currently lives in North Carolina, where she has long been accused of telling stories, which is a southern colloquialism for lying.

Los Nefilim (5 books)
  • Without Light or Guide (Los Nefilim, #2)
  • The Second Death (Los Nefilim, #3)
  • Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim, #4)
  • Los Nefilim Book 5