Start by marking “Chicken in Space” as Want to Read:
Chicken in Space

Chicken in Space

(Zoey the Chicken)

Zoey isn't like the other chickens.

When she has a dream, she always finds a way to make it come true.

Climb aboard the spaceship with Zoey and her best pig, Sam, as they set off on an out-of-this-world adventure! Because anything is possible when you have friends, snacks and a great imagination.
Published May 17th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Chicken in Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken in Space

Start your review of Chicken in Space
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I am with the pig - Where's the pie?

On a serious note - this one can be used to talk to kids about perspective and how the chicken frames her adventure verses what really happened.
Abigail
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Children Who Enjoy Humorous Barnyard Tales
Zoey was a chicken who marched to the beat of a different drummer. She had dreams... and a plan... and a porcine friend named Sam. Enlisting Sam in her grand adventure of exploring space, Zoey approached some of the other barnyard animals, who each declined to join, for various reasons. Undeterred, she and Sam set out in a basket borne aloft by balloons, encountering an asteroid (baseball), a comet (kite), and some alien spaceships (birds in flight). Eventually coming down to earth, she and Sam ...more
Kareena
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sr-2019
A cute story about a chicken and a pig who go to 'outer space.' Would be especially good for people who can do lots of voices.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Zoey has a dream of flying even though she's a chicken and can't fly. She wants to take along her best pig, Sam who is willing to go along for pie. Even though she isn't able to fly by flapping her wings she still makes her dream happen!

My nephew and I adored these drawings! It is just farm life and the drawing is very understated but it worked so well for this outrageous story about a chicken who wants to fly. The balloon spreads w
Margie
There will be those beings that look at life through a different lens than others. They will not conform. They take common everyday objects redefining them; a leaf floating along the gutter of a street becomes a boat for an earthworm king, flower blossoms are homes for fairies and ladybugs or tiny girls named Thumbelina, butterflies are messengers, a jar lid is a swimming pool for slugs, and a piece of paper shifts shape becoming a crane. Their imagination fuels their creativity. They are the dr ...more
Heather
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-for-2016
Both of my kids love this book and think it is very funny. I see my daughter as the Chicken taking everyday objects and imagining them into something way out there and the Pig is her little brother, always willing to go along for the ride and buy into her creativity. I wonder if they see themselves in these characters too??
Becky R.
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is so darn cute. It's really about the power of possibilities and dreaming big. I loved the positivity of the chicken and thought this story would be great fun for parents to read to their kiddos!
Robin
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dream big, chicken friend, dream big.
Ramon Requena
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 230
This book follows Zoey, a chicken, and Sam, a pig, who decide to go to space. They try to convince other animals to go with them, but no one agrees, so they both go alone to space. They get inside a basket with balloons and fly up to the sky, space. They see many wonders and eventually crash land back home. This book is about how imagination can be powerful for many and that it is all you need to go on a fun adventure.
The media used in the book is colored pencil, and in a lively manner. The art
Becky
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Zoey wasn't like the other chickens. She had dreams. She had a plan. She had a pig. "Put your hat on, Sam," said Zoey. "We're going to space!" "Before lunch?" asked Sam. "Before pie? Is that a good Idea?" But Zoey was already off.

Premise/plot: Zoey is an ambitious chicken. Zoey wants to go to space, and she wants her best friend, Sam, to go with her. Will their space mission succeed? Maybe. Will Zoey and Sam have lots of fun? Definitely!

My thoughts: Zoey is such a fun character.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Lehrhaupt, Adam Chicken in Space, illustrated by Shahar Kober. PICTURE BOOK. HarperCollins, 2016. $17.99.

Zoey is a dreamer and a planner, and a very persistent ... chicken. When she decides to go up into space, it looks as if the odds are stacked against her. But thanks to her determination and her positive attitude, she might just have the best space adventure of any chicken in the history of the universe.

I love Zoey's belief in herself despite the nay-sayers around her, and how she uses her cr
Beatrice Fox
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh on every page. I loved it. A chicken decides she is going into space and gathers her barnyard friends, one by one to go with her. THe chicken is hilarious, the facvial expressions are hilarious, sometimes reminding me of Sherlock HOlmes...so inquisitive, so demanding, such a confident leader and nothing will stop her despite her friends trying to talk her back to reality. And so they go into space...each obstacle that comes to her she redefines as something else....such a ...more
Miya Gaub
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Zoey the chicken is a very ambitious animal… she wants to go with her friends and her pig to space! As Sam the pig and Zoey the chicken plan their space adventure, they walk around their farm asking them if they would like to join their plan. Some of the animals poke holes in their plans, and others simply state that they do not wish to join. Then, Sam and Zoey look for a way in which they can get to space, via balloon basket or kite or any other way. This book shows the way a young kid can thin ...more
Maria
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Zoey is a chicken who decides to go to space. As she tells her farm friends about her plan, one by one they present excuses for why Zoey cannot go to space, and one by one she overcomes them. When Zoey and her friend Sam lift off for their big adventure it's a treat to go along for the ride. I recommend this book for little girls who need encouragement to see that chasing their dreams is a worthwhile endeavor!
Linda
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A determined farmyard chicken wants to fly into space - and does! This is a quick read-aloud where Zoëy the chicken sees opportunities rather than problems and "always finds a way." She interprets threats in space terms: an incoming ball becomes as asteroid, a kite becomes a comet. Lively illustrations.
Natalie Greaves
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space, imagination
This is a really cute story that could be used to teach the use of imagination. It could also be used to teach children about what types of things they might find in space. This book is also a good book about friendship and how friends do things together. I would definitely use the book in my classroom.
Candi Hardin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This chicken proves anything is possible when you have your best friend, snacks, and an imagination. This is a cute story about a chicken and her friend going into space. Her pig friend was the only one brave enough to go with her! I would read this to my students. Its about friendship and imagination.
Roben
Zoey is one determined chicken! She wants to go into outer space - and she does! Quite the courageous and inventive adventurer. Of course she also has the help and support of a few friends. Always necessary for great adventures.
Gina
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay. It gives a nice idea of how imagination can transcend, and friendship, but too much time is taken up by asking other animals who don't want to go along, almost as if she were asking for help to bake bread.
Nan
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love chicken’s creativity and sense of adventure. Her imagination makes the mundane exciting and fun, for those who will go with her. But she doesn’t get upset with those who don’t want the excitement that she loves. Great artwork helps tell this story of lively Chicken.
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
I liked it. Simple story that is the right lenght that could be used for a storytime, but there wasn't anything spectacular about the story. Just okay.

Family Storytime would probably enjoy it best.
Hailey
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it so much I read it all the time to my little brother and it has a little bit of humor. You can barley tell those. The them is as good as the story I believe it is follow you dreams and to be different.
Kathleen
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
With a good dose of imagination a chicken (and you) can make any of your dreams come true. Join Zoey and her friends as they *explore* space and learn to fly. The right amount of fun. The right amount of lesson.
Becky B
Zoey employs her imagination and pluck and ventures into space with Sam.

Zoey's imagination knows no bounds. She is also extremely focused and refuses to break the imaginary world. Her adventure with Sam is funny. Kids should love their antics and imagination.
Heather Jo
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Trish
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, je
This book is about a chicken who wants to go into space.
Emerson
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is so disappointing. There's not even a chicken in space in it!!! Do NOT read this book if you expect good things. Thank you for your consideration.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars because the illustrations are nice.
Karen
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love a chicken with imagination.
Eme87
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Great read aloud for space/adventure/animals. Funny and creative.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bear Came Along
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Bunny's Book Club
  • Can Cat and Bird Be Friends?
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • The Serious Goose
  • Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas
  • Santa Duck
  • Over and Under the Snow
  • Little Excavator
  • Don't Call Me Bear!
  • The Book Hog
  • Narwhal's Otter Friend (A Narwhal and Jelly Book, #4)
  • Snowballs
  • Bad Dog
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • Chicken Story Time
  • God Gave Us Christmas
Adam Lehrhaupt is the award-winning author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, Please: Open This Book!, Chicken in Space (A six book series: Book 2 Chicken in School lands June 20, 2017), I Will Not Eat You and the upcoming I Don't Draw, I Color (March 21, 2016), Wordplay (July 2017), Idea Jar (Fall 2017), and This is a Good Story (Spring, 2018). He has traveled to six continents, performed on Bro ...more

Zoey the Chicken (6 books)
  • Chicken in School