Start by marking “I'm Not Her” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Her

I'm Not Her

It was a Tuesday like any other. And then it wasn't. A simple encounter at a supermarket changed Carin Fletcher's and Leann Cane's lives – literally. Suddenly Carin, a pretty, self-absorbed, underemployed college graduate, finds herself living as Leann, an uneducated, perennially poor, obese checkout clerk, and vice versa.

Carin is at first horrified: she’s enormous, she ca
Published August 4th 2015 by Story Plant, The

Start your review of I'm Not Her
Elaine
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a body swap story but one that is totally unlike any of the light frothy Hollywood movie stories that immediately spring to mind when you hear those words, being just that little bit darker. We have two women whose identities “switch” following an accident in a supermarket.

Carin is young, pretty, slim, rich and pampered and rather shallow, it has to be said.

Leann is also young, weighs 350 lbs and is a supermarket checkout girl. She has a six year old son and a husband she only sees at we
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I was not sure what to expect from this book. I wasn't really expecting the paranormal twist. When it started, there was absolutely no connection between Carin and Leann, other than the fact that Carin shopped at the grocery store where Leann worked. Then poof! Carin gets hit in the head and suddenly she has switched bodies with Leann. This all happened on the first page. So we have no idea why the switch happened and we don't
Laurie Carlson
MY TAKE:
4 STARS!
We have two main characters in this story. We have Leann and Carin, and the book is written back and forth between the two characters.
Meet Leann Cane: An employee/cashier at a grocery store called Shop N’ Save, who happens to be overweight and does not take care of herself at all . . . this is the problem our next character has with this woman even though she doesn’t even know her! She is very judgmental, and, this next character is . . .
Carin Fletcher . . . Carin is a customer
Connie Garrett
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story! Such well developed characters! I love reading a book that has me looking forward to the next time I can pick it up and read. I actually paced myself on this one because I didn't want it to end...other than to find out how it all worked out. Loved it, Cara! I am recommending it to all my family and friends.
Patience
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm Not Her is a marveling first novel by Cara Sue Achtenberg. The book is narrated by the two major characters Carin and Leann. The book has an overall theme concerning why one should not make conclusions about people based on the physical state of that person.
I'm Not Her is a work of fiction that is about how the lives of two women, Carin and Leann, drastically change after an encounter in a grocery store called Shop N' Save. Carin Fletcher, who happens to be a pretty, fit, self-absorbed and
Shannon L. Gonzalez
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: Never judge a man (er Woman) until you’ve walked a mile in his moccasins.

I’m Not Her
By Cara Sue Achterberg

In her debut fiction novel, Cara Sue Achterberg weaves a wonderful themed tale. A new twist on the “Freaky Friday” storyline with so much emotion it gives an honorable nod to the famous Disney tale and Mark Twain’s The Prince and The Pauper.

In this novel the story starts with college graduate, Carin Fletcher. She’s young, beautiful, svelte and privileged. She is shopping at a S
Judy D Collins
A special thank you to The Story Plant and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Cara Sue Achterberg delivers her debut I’M NOT HER, a body swap in the theme of Freaky Friday and Vice Versa for an inside look at two different personalities, from different walks of life –filled with humor and insight.

We meet two women, Carin and Leann. When the two women meet at a Shop N’ Save, their lives begin to change.

Leann is poor, overweight, and uneducated working at a dead end job as a
Laura Garrison
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“I’m Not Her” was a book club pick so I gathered up my lawn chair and a pencil and headed out to the patio to read for half an hour or so. I brought the pencil because I intended on highlighting things to talk about at the book club meeting. Three hours later I realized that I needed to get up and make dinner. I was so lost in the characters and storyline that time just slipped away. I never made a single mark in the book because I couldn’t stop long enough to pick up my pencil – it was that add ...more
Sally Coles
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Carin and Leann's lives are literally switched life will never be the same again. Carin who was a pretty college graduate becomes Leann an uneducated, very large checkout girl.

To start out with Carin definitely has the raw deal, she is extremely overweight, poor and married to an abusive man and to cap it all she has to look after Leann's son. Leann on the other hand is living the life of Riley this is the life she always wanted in a body that gets her noticed for the right reasons.

Things a
Fluff Smut & Murder
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Publication Date: August 5, 2015

I was provided a digital ARC copy of this book from NetGallery.com in exchange for my honest review.

Holy Freak Friday – this was an excellent read! I’m a sucker for a good, original story and this is an interesting spin on people switching bodies. I can’t say much about the book without giving away the plot or any spoilers, but this book was a great read.

What I love: One character grew and changed so much as a person, it was hard not to love her.

What I didn’t love
Patricia (Pat)
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'I'M NOT HER", a debut by author Cara Sue Achterberg, is a sensational surprise! It asks the question, what would you do if you were changed into another body and had to live their life?

Carin Fletcher is waiting in the usual check-out line she selects at Stop N Save. She is studying and judging Leann, the checker. as she always does. She thinks she is obese and ugly. Her stringy dirty hair that usually falls in her face is pulled to the side with a tiny, plastic barrette. Her teeth are yellow a
Dianne
Have you heard the phrase, “Walk a mile in someone’s shoes?” How about, “Never judge a book by its cover?” What if some quirk of fate exchanges your essence, all that is you, with another?
Carin and Leann somehow exchange places after an accident. Carin, wealthy, beautiful and shallow becomes Leann, an obese, coarse young mother living a tragic life of poverty and abuse with her son’s father. Will people believe they are not who they appear to be? Will they both learn how shallow it is to judge o
Anne Martin
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
After an incident at the supermarket where Leann is a cashier and Carin shops, the two young women just switch bodies. No one but the two of them notices and when Carin tries to tell her mother or boyfriend it is her in Leann's body, she is considered deranged and forgotten. This is the beginning of an hilarious novel.
The two girls could hardly be more apart. Carin (not Karen, as many people want to spell her name) comes from a (slightly)middle-(very)upper class family, with enough money to live
Tanya Brough
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm Not Her -- Cara Sue Achterberg

I think all of us have felt at one point or another we wish we could be someone else.
It always looks as if everyone else has life figured out. They have life hacked.
But how would you react if, by a horrible twist of delicious fate, it actually happens?
This is the fate of Carin Fletcher and Leann Cane.
They could not be any more different. Carin is pretty, but shallow.
Leann is overweight, underpaid.
One day they switch ... and what a switch it is.
Leann enjoys bein
Sawyer Lovett
Carin and Leeann have vastly different lives. Carin is middle class and shallow. Leeann is poor and overweight. When a random accident leaves them trapped in one another's body, their perceptions of one another change drastically. Leeann is, at first, happy at what she sees as an upgrade in appearance and station. Carin is horrified to return to a run down home stocked with snack cakes and soda. Both women are confronted with the complicated family situations of the body they inhabit - Carin's a ...more
Robin Spielberg
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
If I Were In Her Shoes....
ByRobin Spielberg "Spobs Music"on August 13, 2015
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
How often I think to myself, "If I were in her shoes, I would...."
In Cara Achterberg's novel, I'M NOT HER, readers get to live out this fantasy through the characters LeAnn and Carin, who do indeed switch places in a strange twist of fate. Although there are lots of campy movies and books out there about switching bodies, this is not one of them. Achterberg's characters are complicated an
Sheryl
I recieved a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
I loved this book it was just awesome, it's about two young women who are totally different in every way who after a freak accident they switched bodies. I know it sounds a bit strange but it was a fantastic read and it really goes to show you can't judge a person until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

It was a real eye opener for me and I'm sure it will be for others who read it. It's one of those books that
Kirstie
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Carin is a successful, slim, college educated woman not quite living the life she hopes for...but will one day! Leann is a young mum struggling with her weight, never finished high school and has an abusive older husband.

These women are complete polar opposites, their worlds would never collide...until that fateful day when the accident happened.

Carin learns the hard way that you cannot judge someone until you have walked in their shoes. Leann realises that no amount of money will ever fill the
Patty O
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
The story is quite simple, but the author's take on it drew me in. A story about how what we think we need to be happy isn't always what we really need, and that often the things we really need are already in our possession. A good, fun, light read.
Sue Wallace
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
bit slow to start with so left it and came back to it.
This time i loved it.
Could not put it down.
Had to see how it ended.
Did not disapoint.
Highly recomend.
Tracey
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A body swap story that was quite well done - I have to admit I was expecting something a bit more "chick lit". Raises some interesting thoughts about how people treat / view overweight people.
Janka H.
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The body swap. The lessons learned. And what is most important for me, the reader - a fresh, witty story with some nice portion of the food for thought.

Carin and Leann are the same age, but totally different in the eyes of the beholder, so to say - Carin is single, stunning, smart and with a good job, with a male best friend with benefits in her tow. Selfish and vain, too, sure, but not without a heart.
Leann is a checkout clerk in the supermarket, obese, not a sharpest pencil in the pack. Also
Jena Henry
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Who am I really? Am I the person everyone sees or the person only I can see?"
I was hooked by the story of Carin and Leann. The book begins with a gimmick- on an ordinary Tuesday, they somehow switch bodies. Both Carin and Leann are 23 years old, but are at different places in life. Carin is a college graduate and is living the young millennial lifestyle- nice apartment, fitness club, good entry level job. She is proud of her pretty looks. She loses that life in a flash and must inhabit the body
Annika
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
three and a half stars. Boring writing style made this POTENTIALLY great story into something really flat. An easy read.
Raina
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun read with an interesting plot.
Donna Galliani
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another good book by Cara. She really knows how to get you hooked on the characters. Can’t wait to see what she comes out with next.
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Couldn’t put it down. This book was thoroughly engrossing. The contrast between the life situations of the two women was very eye opening.
Trupti Sahu
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

4 stars

I was very surprised by this book, pleasantly so. It is a little bit Freaky Friday, but with a more mature plot line. I enjoy books with a touch of supernatural, and touching on switching places with someone is something that has always fascinated me.

This is a very quick, very easy read and I got sucked in and read the whole book in one sitting. I completely empathized with Carin and really enjoyed watching her grow as a
K Orion Fray
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asked-to-review
Take a person who is the opposite of everything you are, or try to be.

Now imagine suddenly being that person.

That's what happens to Carin Fletcher one day as a Valentine's Day display at the local supermarket comes crashing down on her head: she body-swaps with Leann Cane, the cashier in her line. As can be expected, hijinks ensue.

I will be completely honest: this book made me uncomfortable. Not because it's not a good book, or because it's poorly written; neither of those are true. But because
« previous 1 3 next »

• I'm Not Her
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • The Dark Side
  • Laika
  • Timbuktu
  • Get a Clue
  • Four Wishes (Liberty, #4)
  • Treasure Me (Liberty, #2)
  • Curves, Kisses and Chocolate Ice-Cream(The Ice-Cream Cafe, #2)
  • The Impossible Wish (Liberty, #3)
  • A Man to Die For
  • Fatal Fortune (A Dr Pippa Durrant Mystery Book 1)
  • The Tree of Everlasting Knowledge (Liberty, #5)
  • Fatal Finale (A Dr Pippa Durrant Mystery Book 3)
  • Fatal Flowers (A Dr Pippa Durrant Mystery Book 2)
  • Five Oh: Fifty is the New F-Word (Val Fremden Mystery, #5)
  • I Want You Gone
  • Six Tricks: Doggone Disaster (Val Fremden Mysteries #6)
Cara Sue Achterberg is a blogger, novelist, and rescue dog advocate who lives on a hillside farm in York County, Pennsylvania but longs for the mountains of Virginia.

She is the co-founder of Who Will Let the Dogs Out, an intiative of Operation Paws for Homes. It's mission is to raise awareness and resources for southern shelters and rescues. Find more information at WhoWillLetTheDogsOut.org.

Inform