Start by marking “Take Your Eye Off the Ball 2.0: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look” as Want to Read:
Take Your Eye Off the Ball 2.0: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look

Take Your Eye Off the Ball 2.0: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look

Renowned NFL analysts’ tips to make football more accessible, colorful, and compelling than ever before

More and more football fans are watching the NFL each week, but many of them don’t know exactly what they should be watching. What does the offense’s formation tell you about the play that’s about to be run? When a quarterback throws a pass toward the sideline and the
Published October 15th 2015 by Triumph Books

Start your review of Take Your Eye Off the Ball 2.0: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look
Jim
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: football fans who want a deeper understanding of the game
Shelves: sports
I had been looking for a football book which explains player selection, game strategy, play calling, running and pass patterns. I found it here in this book that I bought at the Bear Pond Book Store in Stowe VT. The author , Pat Kirwan, has spent his adult life working as a football commentator and in coaching staffs and front offices of NFL teams.

This is a book that tells you the difference between a nickel package & a dime package, the Will & Sam Linebacker and a 3-4 defense & a
Justin Orman
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I grew up bored by football. Several years ago I started watching more after joining a fantasy football league with some friends. Seeing this book on Amazon recently I was interested in reading it to better understand the game of football. While I'm not enough of a details person to observe all that the author describes in the book while watching live, knowing the information helps me appreciate more what I'm watching. Being the type of person who enjoys analytics in sports and background ...more
Andre Siregar
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love watching American football as a hobby and this book made me appreciate the sport so much more. The very first time I watched a football game, it looked like chaos. This book does a great job in peeling the onion and explaining the different aspects of the game to make sense of the "chaos". The book does not just cover how the game is played by the players on the field -- it also talks about game-planning and preparation by the coaches and even management of the teams by the people in the ...more
Fab Mackojc
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Reading this book completely changed the way I watch American football. I already thought the game was a strategic one full of complexities but I had no idea just how much there is to this sport when you really understand it.

I’m in no way a professional after reading this but now I definitely understand all the lingo that coaches and broadcasters are saying about the games and I’m able to better understand what might lead to the success or failure of a given play. Pat has written an incredible
Jimbo
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I came to this book thinking that I already knew pretty much all that I needed to know about the American variant of football. How wrong I was. This book took my preconceived notions, ripped them up and threw them away: in a word this book is essential.

I would say that a relatively advanced knowledge is required before you tackle this book. This goes quite low level which is excellent for those wanting that detail, but not so good for a beginner.

My only regret is buying the kindle version of
Tyler Johnson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The book made me more knowledgeable of football strategy, which I found helpful, but it doesn’t go into any detail in places I would have expected. For example, defensive coverages are discussed only at a very high level, and technique in general is rarely covered at all. Significant portions are rants about NFL rules or procedures, which I found less interesting. The book should also use more diagrams to explain concepts.
Nathan Graham
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

Great read for football fans. Takes you beyond the basic level of the game and makes you hungry for more.
璟農 劉
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book

I learned a lot more about football basics. The part i love the most is that I can be more pro-active on game day rather than just watching the plays~
Madison Thornton
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really informative read! Helped me really understand the game more.
Ross
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic way for a fan of NFL football to get a deeper insight into the game. Not suitable for beginners, though.
Pete Welter
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've watched football my whole life as a fan, and I know enough to enjoy watching games and to spend countless hours evaluating stats for fantasy football. However, I was somewhat unsatisfied because I felt like my knowledge was surface level and didn't know much about the deeper levels of the game. Take Your Eye Off the Ball 2.0: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look proved to be just the right level I was looking for.

Kirwan is knowledgeable about the game, having been part of NFL
Jeremiah
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nikky
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default
Written for an audience that already is quite familiar with football already and wants to get a start into looking at it on a deeper level on the playing field, game plan, and franchise management. Kirwan gives a healthy look at each position group and introduces key concepts to help the reader start to understand more.

Probably the most salient point about this book is that even weighing in at over 300 pages, it's not, and cannot, be an authoritative tome on all things strategy. Instead, it
Chris
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very solid explanation of a lot of things I knew, and significantly more that I didn't know. Helps to understand what's going on and at a recent trip to a game it was much clearer what was going on down on the field and why then it had been previously...
Glenn
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
A decent intermediate football primer. The sections on personnel groupings and basic strategy were helpful. Some of the other "insider" info on NFL customs and culture could be better picked up in reading a more narrative non-fiction book.
Brian Gagnon
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great contribution to game

I listen to PK on Sirius NFL Radio often. His energy is infectious and insights are on-point. This book is consistent with what we've come to know. When does the graduate level class come?!?!
Carey Wells
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic info if you want to know the intricacies of the NFL

If you want to know how a football organization functions, fro, front office types, to scouts, to the practice schedule, this book has it all
Chad Reinhardt
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Awesome look at the intricacies of the NFL and provided a good primer for diving deeper into football studies.
Timothy Lankford
Great book -

Great Book - gets to all the details of the modern game without being dry. Really updates the whole draft and salary cap.
Marco Sgro
Feb 15, 2019
Miguel  Zubiria
Feb 08, 2018

• The Art of Smart Football
  • Gridiron Genius: A Master Class in Winning Championships and Building Dynasties in the NFL
  • Blood, Sweat & Chalk: How the Geniuses of Football Created America's Favorite Game
  • Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile
  • The Essential Smart Football
  • War Room
  • Astroball: The New Way to Win It All
  • Quarterback: Inside the Most Important Position in the National Football League
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Colleagues: Richard B. Russell and His Apprentice Lyndon B. Johnson
  • Smart Baseball: The Story Behind the Old Stats That Are Ruining the Game, the New Ones That Are Running It, and the Right Way to Think About Baseball
  • Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game
  • Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream
  • Kiss Me Once
  • DisneyWar
  • Finance and Philosophy: Why We're Always Surprised
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Natural Meditation: A Guide to Effortless Meditative Practice