Jump to ratings and reviews

This Ordinary Life

Sometimes hope is the most extraordinary gift of all.

High-school radio host Jasmine Torres’s life is full of family dysfunction, but if she can score the internship of her dreams with a New York City radio station, she knows she can turn things around.

That is, until her brother Danny’s latest seizure forces her to miss the interview, and she’s back to the endless loop of missing school for his doctor appointments, picking up the pieces of her mother’s booze-soaked life, and stressing about Danny’s future.

Then she meets Wes. He’s the perfect combination of smart, cute, and funny. He also happens to have epilepsy like her brother. Wes is living a normal life despite his medical issues, which gives Jasmine hope for Danny. But memories of her cheating ex-boyfriend keep her from going on a real date with Wes, no matter how many times he asks her.

Jasmine can’t control everything. Not who wins the internship, not her mother’s addiction, not her brother’s health—not even where her heart will lead her. She wishes she could just have an ordinary life, but maybe what she already has is pretty extraordinary after all.

240 pages, Paperback

First published October 1, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jennifer Walkup

5 books255 followers
Jennifer Walkup is an award-winning author, artist, and positive psychology practitioner. A silver lining enthusiast, Jennifer is often found adventuring with her husband, sons, and beloved beagle. Jennifer also works as an English professor and editor and is an advocate for epilepsy awareness.

To hear about Jennifer's upcoming books, sign up for her newsletter here:

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
41 (8%)
1 star
9 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 113 reviews
Profile Image for Brian Yahn.
310 reviews593 followers
November 30, 2016
For fans of YA, especially romance, I can't recommend this book highly enough. Literally everything about it is good.

1) The characters--especially the protagonist, Jasmine, and her love interest, Wes. While they follow all the typical tropes of YA romance, the slight subversions keep things interesting. Instead of being wicked popular or the star jock or the genius, Wes is just a pretty typical dude with a great personality... who also suffers from epilepsy. While Jasmine has a rough life at home and a no-good boyfriend to start things off, she's got a good social life and isn't constantly complaining and she's got this pretty unique goal of being a radio personality.

2) The romance, holy crap. Gentleman, if you need pointers on how to treat a lady, follow Wes's advice. Sure, a lot of the "nice" things he does just involve having oodles of money his rich parents conveniently give him. But the way he wins Jasmine over, with the best non-date ever is cute as hell. And once he takes her on a real date, he SHOWS how great of a guy he is by thinking out something truly memorable and uniquely suited for Jasmine.

3) The story has all the right ups and downs in all the right places. The plot is paced to the T. Probably the only bad thing about the entire book is that it's pretty predictable given how trope-y everything else is.

4) Jennifer Walkup's prose is spot on. Nothing mind-blowing like Jandy Nelson, but definitely not a pain to read like most stories in the genre.

As good as all these things are, I was hoping for something great, and beside romance (which I'm just not a fan of), I didn't find it. For fans of the genre, I can't imagine this not being a classic. This Ordinary Life seems light-years better than best sellers like Anna and the French Kiss, and given how similar they are, more people need to know about this one!
Profile Image for Paula M.
546 reviews643 followers
October 30, 2015
description

I'm not gonna lie. The cover is what caught my attention. Because of the headphones, I instantly thought that This Ordinary Life has something to do with music and therefore... off to my TBR you go. But it turns out that TOL isn't about music at all and I wasn't actually bothered by it.

Jasmine is their schools RJ. Her father left them when she was still a kid and her brother has epilepsy. Her mother was stuck in the past and still trying to get up from her husbands absence. I guess you can say that Jazz doesn't have the easiest life. But you know why I love this book so much? Its because our main protagonist is a fighter! Life keep hitting her, throwing different kind of obstacles in her way but still.. she remains standing and hopeful. Jasmine is really one of the most admirable heroine that I've ever read. She's a flawed character, yes, but that just made her even more wonderful.

The romance was great! Wes is just.. incredible. I wished that his character was explored more though because when I was reading TOL, I only see/read him when he's with Jazz. I just would've love it even more if he was more fleshed out. But other than that, Wes is nothing more than fantastic. I couldn't think of anyone that is more perfect for our heroine. It was impressive how these two made their relationship happen. It was sweet, slow and so swoony. Who needs those instalove anyway?

Despite its swoony romance, TOL tackled serious issues too like epilepsy and alcoholism. I wasn't completely sold by her mothers changes but I'm happy about her character development. I was heartbroken by Danny's illness but I learned a lot too along the way. I'm not an expert but while I was reading, I can't help but think that the book was well researched.

This Ordinary Life is such a delight! I'm gonna confess right now and say that I will be stalking Jennifer Walkup from now on. I'm pretty certain that she has a lot of wonderful novels waiting to be read. I can't help but be charmed and fascinated by This Ordinary Life. I can confidently say that there's nothing ordinary about this book. I highly recommend it!
Profile Image for Kels.
315 reviews165 followers
January 21, 2016
Did I just uncover a new favorite book of 2016?? Yep!! :D

So for a short read, this book packs a big, powerful punch. Meet Jasmine Torres, professional juggler of hosting her high school's radio show, and also being the primary care giver of her brother, Danny, who was diagnosed with epilepsy. And get this: she does a heck of a job at it, too. She's not your average teenage Mary Sue, that's for sure. Now, meet Wes. All you need to know about him is this: swooon (#bookboyfriend).

Jasmine's life is far from ordinary. Dealing with a mother who is a certified alcoholic, and a brother whose life often understandably gets in the way of her own, her home life is far from being ideal, and that often spells trouble for her while she strives to follow her own pursuit of happiness. And wow, I just felt so much of what Jasmine was going through as her life was constantly interrupted and made worse by her own problems and also the problems of her family and relationships. Usually I hate reading books with sucky parents, but I commend the author for allowing Jasmine's situation to be less than perfect and doing it in such a way that felt genuine, heartfelt, and emotionally engaging.

Jennifer Walkup created dimension in Jasmine's character by allowing her to have ambitions, friendships, good and bad relationships, and a family that is at times dysfunctional yet still somehow easy to embrace. I truly was amazed at how the author included so many of these aspects that were all so well developed and executed without at all subtracting from the story itself. That's a feat that I don't think exists in many books. Usually either the character developments are strong, but the relationships are lacking, or the family becomes out of focus, or friendships aren't believable, or maybe the protagonist has a lack of identity, etc. But This Ordinary Life was so well balanced, and on top of that, the writing was fluid, and effortlessly beautiful.

There's just not much I can criticize about this book. There's great character development, well built relationships, a resilient protagonist who will win your heart, a cute romance, wonderful pacing, amazing friendships, and a solid plot that will also serve to enlighten readers about a seizure disorder known as epilepsy. Friends, this book has it all, and trust me, there is nothing ordinary about This Ordinary Life. Definitely recommending this to friends who want a taste of all of the above.
Profile Image for Bee.
812 reviews211 followers
August 29, 2015
Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

Oh gosh this was so very cute, guys! I got all the fluffy feels and I giggled and swooned and everything. This was exactly what I needed and I’m so very happy that this book exceeded my expectations! Oh and I called it while I was reading and I’m calling it again… DIBS ON WES! He’s mine!

This Ordinary Life is about Jasmine, who dreams of working for a New York City radio station. And when she has a change to get an internship there, it seems like her dreams getting closer to coming true. But life at home gets in the way when her younger brother’s latest seizure forces her to miss the interview and school. Her mother is not much of a help since she’s lying drunk on the couch when she’s home. Then she meets Wes at the hospital. He has epilepsy like her brother and he’s there for one of his regular check-ups. Wes is living a normal life and hasn’t had a seizure in years, which gives Jasmine hope for Danny. But not too long ago, Jasmine caught her ex-boyfriend cheating on her and now she’s too scared to go on a date again, no matter how many times he asks her.

When I found this book, I hoped it would be a good, heartfelt read and what I got was so much more! This Ordinary Life is fun, sweet, heartfelt, swoony and so very, very adorable & cute. I’ll be looking forward to more from this author, I can tell you that already. The story was very lighthearted with a few tougher moments and I liked that. It didn’t get overly dramatic and it didn’t add any unnecessary drama either. I liked how Jasmine and her mom worked things out on their own and didn’t need help from someone else to do so. I started out really disliking the mom but she really did redeem herself by the end, like I hoped she would.

The characters were all so perfect! I adored Danny, he was so cute and I felt so bad for what he has to go through. I loved Frankie, Jasmine best friend. Sebastian, her ex, on the other hand… He was kind of pathetic. Seriously. Jasmine is a very sweet, loyal, hardworking person and I loved her bond with her brother Danny and how she stood up for herself. I loved it when she finally confronted her mom. And Wes, oh my god, Wes. I love him so much! He’s so cute and sweet and caring and I want him. I called dibs, remember. Wes is mine. I shipped these two so hard, you guys. From the moment they met to the moment they finally got together. The romance was a slow one, perfectly paced and so very sweet.

This Ordinary Life is yet another YA Contemporary to add to your 2015 reading list. It’s sweet, cute, adorable, touching,… everything you want without the unnecessary drama, perfect to read on a lazy afternoon. But, and I can’t stress this enough, Wes is mine. I’m serious.

sign

This review is also (or -soon- will be) posted on Istyria book blog.
Profile Image for nick (the infinite limits of love).
2,119 reviews1,326 followers
October 5, 2015

I was interested in picking up This Ordinary Life because of that adorable and striking cover and the promise of the main character being a radio host. Not to mention, it sounded like it had a sweet romance and you know how I can never pass up a sweet romance. This Ordinary Life was everything that I expected it to be. By the end, it left me filled with hope and a goofy smile on my face.

The protagonist, Jasmine, lived in a very dark home at the beginning of the book. Her mother was an alcoholic who was selfish and didn't see beyond on her own need to get drunk and she had a brother, who was sick and frequently suffered from seizures. Throughout this all, Jasmine was the person who shouldered every burden and responsibility of the family, everything that her mother should have had to take care of. I felt for Jasmine, but I simultaneously thought she was incredibly brave and selfless to pick up the pieces of her home. I loved that she did it all without ever making her brother feel like he was an obstacle to her dreams of obtaining an internship at a radio show in New York. She showered  him with love and was always there when he needed her. Their bond was really sweet and made me love Jasmine even more.

She was also very passionate about radio and she worked incredibly hard to try to achieve her dreams. She faced other obstacles besides her sick brother such as being cheated on by a boyfriend because she wasn't ready to sleep with yet. I had lots of colorful words for that guy, but I thought Jasmine handled the situation in a classy way with her head held up high. Good thing she had the support of an amazing best friend who was as supportive and awesome Jasmine herself.

Then there was Wes, the sweetheart of a boy that Jasmine meets at the hospital while her brother was there. Wes gave Jasmine hope that her brother too could live a happy life even with him being sick. I adored Wes with every fiber of my being. Their romance was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the story for me and I couldn't get over how cute it was. Jasmine was a little bit reluctant to get into a relationship with him at first, rightfully so, but he pursues her and chases after her and that made my heart so happy. Despite being ill, he was nothing but constantly joyful.

If I had one complaint, it would be that I wanted to feel a stronger emotional connection the story and the writing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, but I felt like there was a missing spark somewhere and I can't exactly pinpoint what. That being said, I did end up consuming this book because of the characters and the romance and I'll be picking up more books from this author in the future.

This Ordinary Life is for all of you YA contemporary lovers who not only crave strong and resilient characters, but also romances that leave your heart fluttering all over the place. Definitely check this book out!
Profile Image for Jaime Arkin.
1,417 reviews1,333 followers
December 30, 2015
3.5 stars!

Jasmine has more on her plate than the normal high school senior. With a mom who’s barely functioning, she’s tasked with making sure her brother, who suffers from epilepsy, is safe and cared for. Taking on the day to day care for a young boy with medical issues is hard enough for an adult, but Jasmine is also working her way through high school, dealing with a crappy ex-boyfriend and trying to get the internship of her dreams.

While I found myself sympathizing with Jasmine, I don’t think I really connected with her the way I would have liked with a story like this. There is a lot of emotional stuff going on… of course it seems to start with a cheating boyfriend. I thought that was a bit cliché especially because the entire time she’s on her way over to his house we hear how amazing and wonderful he is and then bam. He’s this dick who she never really knew. But that allows for the new love interest to have more of an impact on her life. What I did love about the situation with the ex is that she doesn’t take his shit and she doesn’t fall back on the ‘what could I have done different’ theme that we see so many times, so kudos to Walkup for that.

I mentioned the new love interest above, but he actually starts out as just a friend … or that’s what Jasmine is trying to convince herself of anyway. I thought Wes was sweet and patient with Jasmine. I really liked how he was supportive of her throughout, but I just felt like something was missing. I didn’t love them as much as I would have liked, and I think that I just wanted more about the characters on a deeper level.

That said, this was still an enjoyable read for me. I love that Jasmine isn’t a stereotypical girl… she’s seriously into radio and DJ’ing and it shows and I love that she has a passion and knows what she wants to do with her life and isn’t afraid to pursue it. The cover is what sold me on this book for sure and it captures the book perfectly. Overall, this is a quick read, at only 240 pages, you’ll breeze through it despite the heavy and serious issues at hand.

Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.
Profile Image for Olivia-Savannah .
643 reviews453 followers
October 1, 2015
When it comes down to it, this book just makes me incredibly happy.

Jennifer Walkup managed to bring the characters to life in her second novel, This Ordinary Life which addresses many themes such as romance, epilepsy and alcohol addiction.

We first meet the character Jasmine when her life is falling apart. She’s very much into radio producing and wants to be a radio host, so she is looking forward to her school trip to a famous studio that was supposed to happen on the day. She goes to her boyfriend’s house for her customary lift to school, only to find him cheating on her. And then, as if things couldn’t get any worse, her seven year old little brother has an epileptic fit. Jasmine rushes to hospital to be with him, missing the once in a life time trip to score an internship as well as having to deal with her alcohol addicted mother when she gets there.

I felt like I could really connect with Jasmine. I don’t have a sibling with epilepsy but I do have a younger sister who is physically disabled. Although I don’t have to do everything like Jasmine does because I have parents who are involved and really do care for her – hospital appointments and everything, I do a big part to help. I think I would just about do anything for my little sister and help take care of her in and around the house, as well as look out for her at school we both go to quite a bit. I love it, and I felt like I could understand what Jasmine felt when she wouldn’t mind putting everything aside to look after her brother first and foremost.

One thing I also love about reading is that books can teach you things. This book did teach me a lot about epilepsy because although I knew about seizures and so on – I had no idea that something called ‘absent’ seizures existed and now I have something new added to my knowledge. In fact, I even learned a bit about how epilepsy actually works which I didn’t know before.

Another thing I really liked about Jasmine’s character was her ambition. She really wanted this radio internship and loved that hobby of hers, knowing she wanted it to be a profession of hers. It’s kind of how I feel about writing, so I could definitely understand her working so hard and striving for that interview. Again, it just reminded me how realistic her character was and how much I loved reading this!

Jasmine’s mother, Elena is addicted to alcohol ever since her husband left her. Elena did make some dumb decisions and she did have the problem of sometimes endangering Danny (Jasmine’s epileptic little brother) because she would be passed out and not watching him. I understood that she had a lot to manage being a single mother, and then financial issues on top of that. But I did want to shake her sometimes. I also wanted Jasmine to go a bit easier on her too. She hated her mum, but I don’t think she understood that alcoholism is just as much a disease as anything else sometimes.

I loved Wes, the love interest! He did have epilepsy too (you can see how Jasmine would be a bit reluctant about starting this relationship now) but he was so good to her! Just what she needed after her previous boyfriend. He was so loyal, funny, sweet… I think every girl needs a Wes in their lives. I also liked that Wes was confident, just like Jasmine. In YA books we have a lot of confident guys showing interest in girls who don’t think they are beautiful, or are all about their insecurities. But it was nice to have two confident-ish characters this time.

Frankie was Jasmine’s best friend, but I felt like her character was shoved a bit to the side. I would have liked a bit more detail on her in the story or some more focus on their friendship. She was the only one I felt needed development.

As you can see, this book was very character driven. The romance was sweet (and be warned, this is mostly a romance!) but there was mix about epilepsy creating important decisions, striving after your dreams and family as well. I loved it. Maybe the book had one or two flaws, but for me it still gets the five star rating because in the end this book made me so HAPPY!

This review and others can be found on Olivia's Catastrophe: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/20...
Profile Image for Cole.
199 reviews9 followers
April 28, 2016
Jasmine Torres is the kind of heroine every teenage girl can find strength in. She is fiercely independent, knows her self-worth, and is devoted to her younger brother. Jasmine has intense aspirations to be a radio DJ but her family life tends to complicate this pursuit of her passion. Can she balance both taking care of her family and achieving her own dreams? This Ordinary Life is the ideal book for middle school readers.

A story with a lot of heart, charming characters, humor, and a Jersey girl. What more could you need?
Profile Image for Dianne.
320 reviews155 followers
October 6, 2015
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Thank you to Luminis Books and The Fantastic Flying Book Club for the review copy. Receiving one did not affect my views of the novel.

Admittedly, the first thing that caught my attention about this book was its gorgeous cover. JUST LOOK AT IT. It's glorious and there's no way I wouldn't be reading it. It screams cute and fun. Then when I read the blurb and found out that the heroine's younger brother has epilepsy, I AM SO IN. I NEED THIS BOOK NOW. So I immediately signed up for the tour given the chance. And boy, I'm glad I did!

This Ordinary Life has Jasmine at its center, a radio DJ at her high school. We open with her hustling to get to school, as they have a field trip at the WYN60 radio station in New York. She's a filial and responsible teen and here's where we see that she basically raises her epileptic seven year-old brother Danny while her mom drowns herself in vodka. Elena, her mom, started drinking when her husband left them, and is now a functioning alcoholic. We immediately see how much Jasmine loves Danny but how tired she is of dealing with her mom. Her ride to school, her boyfriend Sebastian, is late so she hoofs it up to his house, only to find him with another girl. She promptly breaks up with him only to get a call that Danny had a seizure and that her mom didn't see it right away because she slept again. She ditches her field trip altogether and stays with Danny in the hospital. And here is where she meets Wes, who's also a patient.

The story behind that cute and fun cover is indeed cute and fun. We have Jasmine and Wes who are so adorable together. I love their flirty banter and how he earnestly and doggedly pursues Jasmine. Wes is sweet and THE NON-DATES HE PLANNED, can I go with him as well??? After being heartbroken, Jasmine isn't too keen on trusting guys and being in a relationship right away, so while he did find Wes cute right away (WHO WOULDN'T?), I'm glad to appease you that their romance had a build-up with LOTS OF TEXTING. Ah, so cute.

But if you think this is all cutesy fun, you're wrong. It's not particularly heavy but if you have a loved one who has epilepsy or any disease actually, you'll definitely relate and feel for Jasmine. I've went to EEGs with my sister, to MRIs, and to lots of doctor appointments. Jasmine's experiences mirror so much of my own that I'm so grateful to Jennifer Walkup for writing this book. When Jasmine mentioned how the smell of the glue they use for all the wires during EEG, I literally smelled it. Reading this book made me remember my sister's first few attacks and how we didn't know what to do. How after each episode, she actually doesn't know what happened and that all she remembers is being sleepy. Danny's like that too and when I asked the author how she did her research, she's actually caring for loved ones with epilepsy. So she was speaking from her own experience, that's why it felt so authentic. I'm still hyper alert when it comes to my sister. I worry about her all the time. Sometimes she snorts from laughing and I'll worry and check on her because she might be having an episode. I remember that time she just fell off her bed and had an episode and I jumped from the bunk bed and tended to her. Then when she woke up, she was wondering why she was sleeping on the floor. Then she cried because she realized she had an attack. I'm a bit teary eyed as I type this because living with epilepsy dampened my sister's life. She couldn't enjoy some things people take for granted for fear of having an attack. The trial period for the meds, the allergies, the steroids. It was hard on us but definitely harder on her. And she only has mild epilepsy and very rare attacks now (only when triggered by stress or lack of sleep so we avoid those) so I can only imagine how is it for those with the intense ones. My heart goes to everyone suffering from epilepsy and their families.

Anyway, I very much appreciated how Jennifer Walkup treated alcoholism as a disease too because it is. Also, brownie points for our girl Jasmine all around. Jasmine doesn't back down and she is such a strong girl. She makes her mom change and she's capable of forgiveness. She also respects herself and I love how Jennifer Walkup showed how by how strong Jasmine's resolution is in not getting back together with Sebastian. She said it herself, that she respects herself too much to get back with an asshole cheater. Really, Jasmine is one of the most admirable characters I've read in YA right from the start. I love how much she loves Danny, how cool and awesome she was and her best friend Frankie, and just how well-adjusted she is. She's really mature and awesome. Thus, character growth in here is quite minimal since she's already amazing and I don't have a problem with that.

Then, I got a look into radio broadcasting because of this! So yeah, Jasmine being a radio DJ was legitimately shown in the novel. She even thinks as if she's on air and I love that about her. We see her in action A LOT and I love that so much. Sometimes in YA, we don't get to see students actually studying or doing their extracurriculars so it's nice when you come across one that shows it. In fact, it is so refreshing to read something that has never mentioned popularity in the entirety of the novel.

While Wes and Jasmine took their time before getting together, they sure make up to us all the lost opportunities for kisses. The last part of the novel were full of kissy scenes and Dianne is happy.

This Ordinary Life is a quick, cute, and fun read and I recommend it to fans of contemporary YA. It's nothing dark and it's a guaranteed good time. I look forward to more novels by Jennifer Walkup!
Profile Image for Jess at Such a Novel Idea.
597 reviews178 followers
October 5, 2015
This originally appears on Such a Novel Idea.

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

There are a lot of books similar to this one I’m willing to pick up. Someone dealing with something, finding love despite said dealings. The reason (or one of the reasons) I pick up this trope over and over is that I love seeing people overcome and in that process find a person worth holding on to.

This book was the right amount of tough issues and light romance. It was really well balanced, in that I never fell too far on one side or the other. This isn’t a light-hearted romance. Jasmine is dealing with some serious shit, especially considering she is in high school. And yet, the romance part of the book left me smiling.

Jasmine is a girl with a dream of DJing. She is passionate, but she also was able to maturely take care of her brother. And sure, her mom’s issues kind of force her hand, but I feel like Jasmine was the kind of character who was going to take care of Danny regardless. I think I loved that about Jasmine because I saw my daughter in her. At seven, my daughter is already taking care of her older brother like that is her purpose in life. It both brings me joy and breaks my heart that she has to take care of him, but to her it just comes naturally. My husband and I know one day this will be something she may have to contend with and it is something we often grapple with on her behalf. And so, in this regard, I really connected with that part of Jasmine. I also connected with Jasmine’s issues with her mother. As someone who has her own myriad of family dysfunction, I really understood what it is like to feel like the parent instead of the child.

Beyond her own family issues, Jasmine is dating a boy who turns out to be the opposite of who she thought he was — cheating on her and breaking her trust with guys. Enter Wes. Wes is a really amazing friend who you just KNOW Jasmine likes, but it takes a lot for her to overcome all the other stuff in her life and give him (and love) a chance.

The thing I liked most about this book is Jasmine’s attitude. She doesn’t take crap from people and she holds her own. She knows what she wants from life and she isn’t afraid to go out there and get it. All in all, Jasmine is a great role model.

Thanks to the light side of this, the book goes by very quickly. In fact, I read it in just one night (I don’t even think I got up from it one time). I know I already said it, but the balance of heavy and light really just made this a great read. Even through the rough times, I found myself smiling like an idiot at the romantic parts. And that was rather extraordinary.
Profile Image for ricah (andthebooks).
88 reviews13 followers
April 9, 2016
*I received a free copy from Story Cartel in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my reviews. *

Book review also posted on the blog

FIRST, let's appreciate that cover. CAN YOU SEE? It's so pretty *insert heart emoji's* Who can deny that cover? I won't deny that the cover is the reason why I requested this book, which always happens to me.

Jasmine Torres is a radio host at Easton High. Going to the WYN60 radio station in New York, is a dream come true for her. So she joins their filed trip and tries her luck to get an internship for " The Get Up and Go Show" but her plans vanished when her brother Danny got a seizure attack. Danny her seven year old brother has a epilepsy. The hospital is like Danny's second home because of the check-ups and seizure attacks. At a young age Jasmine has to do all the things a "mother" must do, like taking care of her brother. Jasmine's father left them since she was a child and that changed her mother, she always ends up getting drunk and sleeping on their couch. Of course, Jasmine loves Danny so much that she chooses him over her field trip. But when she went to see Sebastian (her boyfriend) to ask for a ride, she saw him cheating. That makes it worse. As Danny was admitted on the hospital he meets Wes.

Jasmine is a strong and brave protagonist. I don't have any friend or family members who suffers with epilepsy but I do connect with her. Wes is a charming, kind and cute guy. He's also added to my fictional boyfriends now *winks*. Wes also suffers with epilepsy but he didn't have any attacks for years. Which gives Jasmine a hope for her brother. He's always there when Jasmine need someone. Your going to love Wes' characteristics in the story. The relationship with Jasmine and Wes is so cute that I end up giggling and laughing. Include, their exchange with text messages and date which I love. The characters in the story are really great and likeable, especially the bestfriend of Jasmine. I rated this 4 over 5 stars because for me Wes' life is not fully explained which I love to read more and I was looking for more lines of her bestfriend. Overall, the story is easy to read ( I end up sleeping late just for this) and a page turner. I'd definitely recommend this.
Profile Image for Lynn.
1,119 reviews68 followers
Read
August 16, 2016
I had to heavily skim this one to finish it. Let me start by saying there isn't anything wrong with this book per se. I just never connected the way I needed to it. I think a lot of the problem is that it read like a squeaky clean New Adult book and I am really burnt out on NA's.

Here are the things that made this not a good fit. They're not meant to be insults to the book but rather a guide for readers to know whether these things would bother them or whether they actually prefer these kinds of things.

First person, present POV. In my opinion this works in a book like the Hunger Games because of the immediacy of the danger. It makes it so you experience it too. I've seen this used in New Adult contemporary/romance and I don't think it works in those settings. It reads like a boring diary. "I am doing this. Someone is saying this and I think blah blah blah about it. I pick up my clothes and brush my (inset long description of hair and face in mirror). I eat yogurt.

The over the top dynamics that the Main character is facing. New Adult loves to throw everything bad that they can at a main character (including the kitchen sink if they can get someone strong enough to throw it). This has a bit of a pile on scenario too.

The first boyfriend is caught cheating red handed because that's what is expected in NA. It made no sense to the way she described him either and then Wham! Personality transplant because the plot needs it. It was also not really dealt with other than a plot device and never made any sense.

Cheating lets the main character have trust issues so that you can drag out the "will they won't they" vibe with later romantic potentials.

The second and real love interest is loaded with confidence and talks cocky and that never vibed with who his personality seemed to actually be. I felt like every time he opened his mouth some alien possessed him and had him say things a player would but that never fit him what so ever. I think it was meant to be light hearted kidding but it felt discordant.

All of this is much beloved by many people, but it doesn't suit me anymore. For these reasons I had to skim the book to get to the end and resolution. Be aware that mostly only the romance has a resolution. The main character's future is still very open ended though on a better track.
Profile Image for Inah (Fueled By Chapters).
475 reviews115 followers
December 21, 2015
This Ordinary Life contained all sorts of adorableness that I could read in one sitting. Also look at that cover! The moment I laid my eyes on it, I fell in love with it! Total covergasm! <3

This book tells the story of Jasmine Torres, an aspiring radio DJ. She’s pretty much responsible for her whole family, her mom being a single-mother who’s dependent on alcohol, and her younger brother, Danny, who has epilepsy. Jasmine is smart and she’s really passionate about radio and hosting it on air. She’s the resident school DJ, in which she hosts a show of her own during mornings. She’s pretty much an ordinary teenager but I love that she’s really responsible, passionate and dedicated. I admire her relationship with her brother. It’s so adorable!

Enter Wesley, the male lead, who’s also epileptic. He became Danny’s roommate in the hospital, where he first met Jasmine. It was an awkward but funny meeting. From the way he was described, Wes was definitely a keeper. He’s gentle, smart, funny and mostly dorky, which I love the most. His character presented a mystery since he won’t usually talk much about his life, which was a bit frustrating at times because I really wanted to know him more. He’s also flirty, like really flirty that sometimes I just roll my eye but mostly he’s doing it in the most adorable way as possble. SWOON ALERT!!! Him being so adorkable with all those cheesy and corny lines made me want to just pepper him with kisses.

The other characters could have been given more exposure because they had so much potential. Sebastian, Jasmine’s ex, was presented as the usual jerk-slash-playboy. Frankie, Jasmine’s bestfriend, was given the BFF exposure. I wish I had known more about her because I think she’s a really tough chick, and funny too! Jasmine’s mom though, I liked her character development and the way their mother-daughter relationship strengthened through the rest of the book.

The writing was effective and good. It’s easy to relate to! I’m definitely putting Jennifer Walkup in my author radar because I love her writing style and her characters.

The story was really inspiring and heartfelt. It’s about family, friendship, love and reaching your dreams. It’s a light and fun read. Perfect to cuddle with in case you need a book to lighten up your mood!
130 reviews83 followers
January 3, 2016
Originally seen on Emily Reads Everything

It's not everyday when you read a book that really surprises you the way This Ordinary Life surprised me. I'm not talking about the plot. The plot is great, but it's not overly surprising or shocking. That's not a bad thing, its not meant to be. What I'm talking about is more personal. I mean that feeling when you suddenly realize that you are loving this book and you never expected to. I'm not much for contemporary so I expected that I would like this book but I never saw myself loving it.

Jasmine is an independent and strong teenager. She takes on much more responsibility than she should have to at her age. When most girls are going out after school, she takes care of her brother, Danny, who has epilepsy and her alcoholic mother. She juggles school, taking care of her family and her true love, working at her high school's radio station. The balance is precarious and when one thing shifts, everything falls apart. Danny has a major seizure that lands him in the hospital, she misses an interview for her dream internship, and she walks into her boyfriend with another girl. Luckily that's the same day she meet's Wes.

I really identified with Jazzy. She's a worrier. She's spent so much time keeping everything together, she doesn't know how to let go, even a little. I know exactly how that feels. She is the only one in her life that takes care of things. She hasn't had anyone to take care of her in a long time.

Wes is the opposite of Jasmine but they fit together so well. Wes was adorable! He liked Jazzy in such a sweet way. She continually insists that they are just friends and he's ok with that, while making it clear that he wants more. My favorite part of the whole book was when [spoiler]they went on the worst date in history. [/spoiler]. Wes has epilepsy too. For Jazzy, he represents the happy future that she hopes her brother will have.

I really enjoyed this book! It was such a sweet, fun read.
Profile Image for Nicole.
321 reviews29 followers
October 20, 2015
Jasmine Torres is a radio host at Easton High and her dream is to score an internship at WYN60 in order to help her chances to get into a good college majoring in communications. The only thing setting her back is her alcoholic mother and her younger brother who has epilepsy. She will do anything for her brother, Danny, but she is upset her mother isn't pulling her weight.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Although Danny's seizures prevent Jasmine from being in school, Jasmine ends up meeting Wes, aka Comic Book Boy, who also has epilepsy. Due to her cheating ex-boyfriend, Jasmine is afraid to commit to a relationship and becomes friends with Wes.

Jennifer Walkup writes a touching coming-of-age story with emotions that covers a range of different topics. This contemporary read is uplifting. When Jasmine meets Wes, little did she know that he is the perfect guy for her. From the moment he called her Sunny and is always asking how she is doing and how Danny is doing, he has been lovestuck from the start. Although, Wes wants to be more than friends and Jasmine makes it clear that they are only friends, Wes is patient enough to wait until Jasmine is ready to open up about her feelings for him. I love Wes! Everything about him is pretty much perfect.

I love Jasmine's personality. She is independent, cares about her family and friends and can be sarcastic at times. I enjoy the texts between Jasmine and Wes and how she playfully teases him. I love how Walkup formats Jasmine's thoughts as if Jasmine is on air doing a broadcast. This Ordinary Life is definitely an adorable read. Despite the hard life that Jasmine has to juggle, there is light at the end of the tunnel. When times are hard, there is someone always there to brighten up her day. If you are looking for a heartfelt read, definitely pick up This Ordinary Life.

Disclaimer: Received ARC for review from BEA for an honest opinion
Profile Image for Danielle.
365 reviews22 followers
November 11, 2015
Read this and more reviews on my blog.

I received a free copy of This Ordinary Life in exchange for my honest opinion.

The cover is what attracted me to this book, and I am glad it did! I am not a great fan contemporary books, the only other contemporary book that I have liked was Stolen (click here for my review of Stolen).

This Ordinary Life follows Jasmine, who is an aspiring radio DJ. She misses the biggest trip of her life to become a DJ intern at a New York Radio Station, because her brother had a seizure. What follows is a slow story, but an extremely moving one.

Personally, I found Jasmine a tad whiney, but given her circumstances it is understandable.

Although This Ordinary Life was predictable in some places, it way more than made up for that by it huge plot twists. At points I was almost in tears, of both joy and sadness.

I would defiantly recommend This Ordinary Life if you enjoy Young Adult Contemporary, or if you want to try to get into it.
Profile Image for Rebecca.
2,530 reviews40 followers
June 8, 2016
I found this little gem while cruising Amazon sales and decided to take a chance after reading the blurb. I adored this book, and it represents everything I love about YA. Jasmine is tough on the exterior, but she is loving and confident in herself. The romance is sweet and subtle, and left me with a constant smile. So happy to have found this one!
Profile Image for Julie.
33 reviews5 followers
July 1, 2015
I loved this book! It's been awhile since I've read something that has captivated me enough to keep reading into the night! The characters were interesting and the idea was fresh. Just gave this book to my 16 year old daughter to read. *Won through Goodreads First Reads
Profile Image for Stephanie Ward.
1,173 reviews115 followers
October 9, 2015
3.5 Stars

'This Ordinary Life' is a young adult contemporary novel that discusses some really hard topics in life but also gives a message of hope. The book follows our main character - Jasmine Torres - who is trying to manage being a normal high school student and the main caregiver for her younger brother Danny, who has severe epilepsy - all while attempting to grab the internship that could change her life. Jasmine is a great female lead for the novel - she's smart, hard working, loving, devoted, determined, and down to earth (among many other great qualities). She has a majorly dysfunctional family, with her mom being an alcoholic who is always either passed out or drunk; and her younger brother Danny, who has a severe case of epilepsy. With her mother unable to take care of Danny's medical needs, Jasmine has to take on the role of his caregiver - making sure he gets to his doctor visits and worrying about him in general. Looming over everything is an internship at a radio station in New York City - Jasmine's ultimate dream and what she believes could be the big turning point in her life. Jasmine has a lot riding on her shoulders throughout the novel, and even though it seems like it's going to break her at times - she's actually stronger than she knows. She dreams of nothing but a normal life - but her life is already extraordinary whether she wants it to be or not - and she has to learn to see hope wherever you can and love where you least expected it.

Although the plot of the story isn't wholly original and is pretty predictable overall, it was still a good read. I'm not a huge fan of YA contemporary to begin with, so fans of the genre will probably adore this book. I enjoyed the unique details the author puts into the story - like Jasmine's dream internship at a radio station in NYC. There's a lot about her love of music and radio broadcasting throughout the book, which gave the novel a new level of interesting facts and allows the reader to enter a world most would never know in their own lives. Danny's medical problems along with Jasmine's complete devotion to him makes the story pull at your heartstrings. It's sad, full of love, and deeply realistic. This aspect of the story makes Jasmine's character all the more likeable and easy to identify with - I was able to connect with her very early on in the book.

Another aspect of the novel that made a big difference to me was the author's writing style. I know I sound like a broken record about this - but, in my opinion, point of view makes a huge impact on my experience with the book. First person is almost always the best course (again, my opinion) because the reader gets to see everything that happens throughout the story through the eyes of the narrator. We're also privy to information about the character that we wouldn't have otherwise - we get to know their private thoughts, emotions, fears, hopes, dreams, memories, and so much more. Getting to know a character on such a personal level gives the reader a deeper connection to them, which only enhances the story and the reader's experience with it. This book is told from Jasmine's point of view, which I think is a great choice. She's a complex main character - so getting to see the book play out from her perspective was a true journey. We're able to watch Jasmine grow as a person - she really matures and changes during the story - and having front row seats to this process was the perfect choice, in my opinion, since the we get to see and feel it all just as much as she does.

I'm not going to really comment much on the plot. Like I mentioned earlier, it's not very original and is pretty predictable. I basically knew what was going to happen before I even started reading, so the overall story line wasn't a big influence on me. It's what the author does with her version of this template that makes the difference - especially when it comes to the characters and the various changes in Jasmine's life - physically, emotionally, mentally - that really made an impact. I enjoyed the book because of these life lessons that Jasmine learns - they're universal and we all have to face them at some point in our lives. I also loved the wide range of emotions throughout the story - from frustration and anger, to worry and fear, and then hope, love, and understanding. I definitely recommend this book to fans of YA contemporary fiction - if you enjoy this genre, then you'll love this book.

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
96 reviews1 follower
January 5, 2016
I really liked the premise of this book, but in the end, the book just didn't follow through (although, based on other reviews, it looks like I'm in the minority). My big issue with this book was the romance. I just could not get into it, no matter how much the author wanted me to like Wes. He did a lot of "I asked you out and you said no but lolllll I know you don't meant it here let me be cute and annoying about it until you say yes," which . . . no. Just no. So not here for that. It immediately turned me off his character. There were also a number of instances where he objectified her (I'm not talking, "Oh, you look so nice," but rather, "I ogled you because I'm a guy and can you blame me?"). Finally, and this is more nitpicking, but him buying Jasmine a super expensive gift after knowing her for such a short time really put me off. I think that's more a personal thing, but regardless.

What really interested me about this story was Jasmine's relationship with her brother and mother, especially the latter, and we got way too little about that. There's a moment near the end when

Finally, there were tiny details that threw me out of the story because they just didn't make sense. The big one was the internship. Jasmine goes on and on about how the internship is really important to have on her resume to get into a good college, yet her rival who also applies for the internship . . . is a senior. Why is a senior in high school applying for this internship? Why didn't she apply her junior year? It's totally possible she decided to take a gap year, but why would Jasmine assume she's applying?

I think my biggest issue, in the end, was that I had a difficult time connecting emotionally with this book. At the beginning I didn't have any trouble with that (I mean ), but as the book went on, it became more and more difficult as I realized I knew very little about Jasmine.

2.5/5,
349 reviews173 followers
September 26, 2015
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate that beauty of a cover? I think This Ordinary Life has the most ridiculously attractive cover I have ever seen and if the premise doesn’t make you want to read the book, I’m sure you’ll agree with me when I say that the cover surely will. It has this beautiful colourful silhouette (is that what it’s called?) of NYC and of course, our MC, Jasmine Torres, is an aspiring RJ, so it has the LP on the other side. The complete picture kind of gives it the Middle Grade book effect, but I, personally, wouldn’t want to change a single thing about the cover. Kudos to the designer!

This Ordinary Life is one of the most unique books I’ve read—in the sense where a high school student pursues her ambition of wanting to be a radio jockey. In all honesty, radio is really not my thing. I prefer to listen to my songs, the way I want them, when I want them. But I, being the control freak that I am, even I can’t deny that sometimes, you put the radio on just to be surprised.

Jasmine was honestly my favourite character in the book. She is strong and smart and independent. Her mother is alcoholic and so to escape CPS, she takes care of her epileptic brother Danny in a way that would rival how most of us care for our younger siblings. She’s just as much as a teenager as any one else, but Jasmine constantly ditches classes, misses a trip to NY to go to her dream radio station and almost forgoes the guy she may love, all because of her unconditional love for her brother. Sibling love always melts me down to my bones, but this book just touched me in a way no other could.

Wesley was the male lead (although in all honesty, Danny was so cute, he’s going to be the one you love the most) in the book, and he’s ADORABLE. The guy took Jasmine on a non-date to a frigging junk yard, for heaven’s sake! It was dorky and cute and omg made me wish that I was there with them! He’s terribly self-confident in a way that makes you want to hug him, and his cheesy lines and their corny delivery was the best part of the book! Jasmine tries really, really hard to resist his charm but really—resistance is futile. And the first time they kiss gave me butterflies in my stomach!

I do think that the secondary characters—especially Sebastian (Jasmine’s ex) and Frankie (Jasmine’s best friend)—needed more depth. They were paper-thin, flying in and out of the plot as convenient. That was a bummer, especially since they contributed to Jasmine’s life A LOT. I’d have also liked to see Danny and Wes’s epilepsy explained a bit, and the book was definitely too small for my liking. I wanted more Jasmine and Wes! Nonetheless, the book is a sweet, small story about hope, swoons and keeping your dream alive :)

Find this review and many more at Rhea's Neon Journal.
Profile Image for Joli.
415 reviews138 followers
October 13, 2015
This Ordinary Life is the second novel by author Jennifer Walkup, but it is the first novel of hers that I've read. I wanted to read this book because of its focus on the relationships between Jasmine and her brother Danny and Jasmine and her mother. I am drawn to stories about families and this one appealed to me. I also liked that there was potential for romance, and the main character is a high school radio host which sounded like a fun job/hobby, so I had to give it a chance.

I think that Jasmine is an incredible character. She's responsible (because she has to be), but she finds power in her voice and lets people know she's had it with their BS. She has expectations of others and doesn't want to accept less. There is a confidence about her that is admirable and this made me really like reading her story.

Another thing I like about This Ordinary Life is the support that Jasmine has from other people. She is the responsible person in her household, but she does have supportive people around her - friends, their parents, and teachers. And she accepts their help. She knows she can't do it all herself and while she wants her mother to be more of a mother, she relies on others to help her out when her mother isn't present. She is a teenager and shouldn't be expected to do it all on her own.

Even though the romance between Jasmine, aka Sunny, and Wes isn't the main focus, I can't help but mentioning how much I love that part of the storyline. After the disastrous end to her previous relationship, Jasmine has declared relationships off limits, but "Then she meets Wes" . . . He makes her laugh and helps her through all the hard times, and her shows her how he can be a friend to her. Some of my favorite moments were their back and forth bantering texts to each other. This added humor to the story which could get heavy at times.

I really enjoyed This Ordinary Life for its story and the characters. There were times that the story was a bit slow, but it didn't hinder my overall reading experience. I would have liked more scenes Jasmine and her best friend Frankie because it was nice to read those parts where you saw Jasmine more as the teenager that she is.

The Cover:
I love the colors and the images. The New York City skyline, the record, and the headphones make an impression and provide a glimpse of what the story is about. If I saw this cover in the bookstore, I would be convinced to pick it up and check it out.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves YA contemporary and stories about families.

Profile Image for Sarah-Jayne Briggs.
Author 1 book47 followers
September 27, 2015
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).
(This review may contain spoilers).

I found this book to be a bit more emotional to read than I was expecting. While I don’t tend to buy contemporary novels, I did find this book to be really engaging and hard to stop reading when I had to take breaks.

I though Jasmine was a really well-rounded character. She had realistic goals that she was working towards and I thought she was really likable. While there were several occasions I thought she might make the wrong choice when it came to her ex-boyfriend, I was glad to see that she didn’t fall into the familiar traps.

I think my favourite parts of this book were probably the detail that went into Jasmine’s relationship with her brother. I did feel quite bad for Jasmine, having to play the Mom… not only to her brother, but also to her own mother. Even from the start, I could see the sacrifices she made so she could take care of Danny.

I liked the fact that the romance happened gradually. It was good to see time spent on developing Jasmine and Wes together. I also felt a lot of empathy for Danny and Wes, knowing how tough the epilepsy had to be on both of them.

I found it very easy to relate to Jasmine, since one of the things she had to deal with is something I also dealt with. I could understand her frustration and her need to escape… if only for a short while.

I thought it was interesting to see how Jasmine seemed to switch personalities the moment she was on air. Although I did like the fact that she gained so much confidence of the air, I actually didn’t see much of her unique personality coming through in the broadcasts. I liked seeing Jasmine’s friendship with Farrah and it was good to see the different themes she came up with for her radio show.

It was nice to see some of the other secondary characters, but I would have liked the opportunity to see a few more of the other characters in the school.

I found the atmosphere of this book really engaging and it was very easy to read. There were some difficult scenes, but on the whole, I was drawn into the characters’ world very easily. In the future, I’d be interested in reading more books by this author.
Profile Image for Kaitlyn Abshire.
209 reviews12 followers
October 18, 2015
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review! Thanks to the publisher and SST!

Pleasant surprise. Those are the first words that come to my mind once I finished this book. Contemporaries are hit and miss with me, but This Ordinary Life was definitely a hit!

Jasmine Torres is planning on spending the day touring at her favorite radio station until her younger brother has a seizure. Jasmine would do anything for her brother and that includes missing an opportunity to get her foot in the door of her favorite radio station, the same radio station where she hopes to get an internship this summer and one day work.

Jasmine was such a likable character and I enjoyed following her and her story from the start. I loved how she handled herself when she was in a sticky situation. The love and devotion she had for her younger brother Danny was very apparent. She would do anything for him. It was super interesting how Jasmine enjoyed being a radio host. I have never read a book where the main character was interested in radio hosting. It was really nice to read about something new and different.

The romance in this book was actually quite sweet. Jasmine meets Wes at the same hospital her brother is staying. Wes isn’t shy and quickly obtains Jasmine’s attention. I appreciated how their relationship started out as friends and progressed from there. I adored their banter and teasing. Jasmine and Wes were a delight to read.

I’m so happy I decided to pick up this book. This book was definitely an unexpected surprise. It seems as though the books that aren’t under my radar are the ones that shock me the most. If you are looking for a sweet and delightful contemporary, look no further. This Ordinary Life is the book for you!
Profile Image for HelEinir.
97 reviews17 followers
August 19, 2016
I struggled through this book, I read 70% of it and then skimmed through the rest.

It wasn't a bad book, I just had a very hard time caring. I usually DNF a book when it starts pissing me off and I can't stand to read one more page of it. With this book I just stopped caring to a point where each sentence was a struggle.

I started reading it back in November 2015 and in these couple of months in between I kept picking it up, only to stop after a chapter or two because I just couldn't get into the story.

I think a big flaw was that the characters didn't act their age. None of them did. The 7 year old acted like he was 4, the 17 year-olds acted like they were 12 and the adults acted, of course, as anything but.

The relationship between Jasmine and Wes was... eh... uh... okay? The text messages between them were cringe-worthy, and not in a 'oh, this is so cheesy' way but in a ' are they twelve? are they seriously laughing at that? oh God, these simple-minded kids.' I just couldn't buy it.

Wes was sweet though, even if he did seem a little pushy in his goal to date Jasmine, nothing that bothered me too much because he wasn't really a creep about it, just overly-enthusiastic.

Jasmine was ever only mildly interesting when she was around Danny and that was about it. Not even when she was broadcasting and doing the thing she loved most did she make me care about her or her life. Danny made me care, not her, and I found that to be a problem.

I just... I think the potetial for a good story was there. But the characters lacked so much it was hard to sympathize and stick with them.

Profile Image for A. Powers.
Author 9 books25 followers
November 24, 2015
An Ordinary Life, but a far from ordinary book...

What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? I'm sure it's not an original thing to hear that the book is amazing or that I, the reader, loved the book and couldn't put it down. So, I'm sorry to say, this review is going to be way more ordinary than this book.

Jasmine Torres has so much going on in her life, it's kind of a miracle she hasn't had a nervous breakdown yet (she's a much stronger high school junior that I ever was, that's for sure!). She's attempting to get a summer internship at a morning radio show in the city, while trying to juggle normal school subjects on top of her duties as a radio host at her school. As if catching her boyfriend cheating on her wasn't enough, her home life is even worse. Her mom is an alcoholic, leaving Jasmine mostly in charge of her little brother, who has epilepsy that hasn't yet gotten under control with his medication. After a major seizure requiring a trip to the hospital, Jasmine meets Wes, her brother's roommate at the hospital with the same diagnosis, and finds herself the object of his interest.

First of all, as a romance story, a lot of other books should take a lesson from this one. I LOVE the innocence of young love, and this book nails it without anything lame like insta-love or unnecessary graphic content or any of that silly nonsense. It's believable and real, and it's hard not to anticipate a good outcome because the characters are all so likable.

Overall, a well-deserved five stars!
Profile Image for Haley Keller.
324 reviews
November 18, 2015
This book had me interested from the beginning because of the fact it centered around a girl whose brother has epilepsy, and on top of that, the boy she starts to fall for is epileptic as well. I enjoyed that aspect of the story as it provided representation and was more unique than many stories I have read. I also thought it was interesting that the main character was a radio host at her school because that's not a dream I've read of many characters having. And then, on top of all of that, there's the fact that her mother is an alcoholic, and that issue is handled very seriously throughout the story.

After reading the book though, I feel like the story had a lot of potential that just didn't come through for me. I wasn't a fan of the writing style, and I got a bit bored with the story. Despite all of the aspects of the story that should have drawn me in, when I saw them being played out it felt like there were too many cliches for me to feel interested. It was like I'd seen it all before just a few too many times.

I did enjoy parts of the book, but I don't know if I would recommend it to anyone. The story just wasn't there for me in the end.

I received this book from Story Cartel in exchange for an honest review.

2 reviews1 follower
October 2, 2015
I love this book! I was looking forward to This Ordinary Life as soon as I saw the cover and read what it was about, but what I got when I read the book was even more than I hoped for. I love the main character, Jasmine, so much. She's strong and determined and has to put up with so much. Her mom is an alcoholic who isn't always there the way she needs to be, leaving Jasmine on her own to deal with way too much. The way Jasmine takes care of her little brother Danny was so sweet. Danny has epilepsy and Jasmine is so good with him.

Another great part about this book was the DJ/radio host premise. Watching Jasmine host a school radio show and also practice for her internship interview in NYC was really a fun part of the plot and a fresh twist I haven't seen done in a YA novel before.

Of course the book had a romance too. SUCH a sweet romance. Wes and Jasmine are simply ADORABLE. Almost every exchange between them had me smiling so big as I was reading. The romance was a slow build and a nice change from insta-love in so many books. Their romance was believable and so sweet from the day they met until the last page.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 113 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.