Start by marking “Planes, Canes, and Automobiles: Connecting with Your Aging Parents through Travel” as Want to Read:

If the thought of vacationing with your parents makes you cringe, fear no more! Help is here!

Planes, Canes, and Automobiles: Connecting with Your Aging Parents through Travel is a gold mine of practical advice, funny anecdotes, and tales of triumphs and travails from Val Grubb, who has traveled more than 300,000 miles (and counting!) with her 84-year old mother over the pa
Published October 6th 2015 by Greenleaf Book Group Press (first published October 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Planes, Canes, and Automobiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planes, Canes, and Automobiles

Start your review of Planes, Canes, and Automobiles: Connecting with Your Aging Parents through Travel
Pat
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First I want to say this is an Advanced Reader's copy from a giveaway on Goodreads.

I liked everything about this book. Loved the cover! Wonderful tips, advice, resources for traveling with your aging parents. The author is an experienced traveler who has logged thousands of miles with her mother, as well as traveling by herself.

The book is dedicated to specific topics such as, picking a destination, selecting hotels, medicines, dealing with a parent who may have dementia, money exchanges, etc.
Brooke Smarsh
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this while on a trip with my mom. Great information, just wish I had read it before the trip - I would have gotten a direct flight home and avoided an issue.

Valerie clearly loves the topic and imparts her wisdom with a lot of enthusiasm. Definitely recommend this book - you'll either want to take your parents on a trip, or get the most of of one already planned, by the time you're finished.
Veda Lacouture
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. I got this book free from goodreads giveaway. The author covers every question I could think to ask. I think it not only tells u how to get along with your aging parents while traveling but any time. Unfortunately, it is too late for me to travel with my parents anymore but I am passing this book along to my daughter and son so wish me happy traveling with them.
Tima
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The author began her journey of travel as a young child. But the story really began when her father passed away without taking a trip he'd always talked about. So she decided that this wouldn't happen with her mother. Thus begins her experiences with traveling with her elderly mother. There is advice on everything from packing, staying healthy, easing back into regular life, and how to keep the relationship great while spending so much time together. There are three appendix that include resourc ...more
Christine Zibas

"And that's the wonderful thing about family travel: it provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind." -- Dave Barry.

All kidding aside (or not), traveling with family can be wonderful, even if it is a challenge. This book takes on the not-often-covered topic of traveling with older adults, whose needs may be very different than those of younger children, who are far more often the target of articles and books about traveling with family.

As the Bab
Stephen Yoder
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
I think this is a book about deepening and sustaining relationships with one's parents disguised as a book about the logistics of traveling with them. I enjoyed this book for its candor, its steady suggestions, and for its relationship discussions. Anyone entertaining the notion of enriching their relationships with their aging parents, who might also want to travel with them, would be well-served to read this book. I recieved an ARC but i do feel that my opinions about it would be the same as i ...more
Jennifer FitzPatrick
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Valerie Grubb has thought of everything to make travel with your older loved one as painless as possible. This book can help those who want to include an older loved one on a family vacation or holiday trip. Also, this book's tips can be applied to caregivers helping their older loved ones more efficiently and safely travel for medical appointments.

While adult children and other caregiving family members will find this book invaluable, older persons who want to save time, energy and money while
Alice Bissett
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful read for anyone traveling with aging adults. Even though I am not able to travel with my own parents, I learned some very useful tips that will help me when traveling with my family.

The author's great sense of humor when describing her travels with her mother made the book more of a story than a how to. She will have no regrets about wishing she would have taken more time with her mom. She has taken the time to make every traveling event special and in doing so has created so
Tessabarth1214
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won an advance copy of Planes, canes, and automobiles
I now know what I have done wrong in the past

I learned a great number of good tips when traveling.
When traveling overseas is my health insurance going to work. Need to check before leaving home
Use credit cards not debt card
Their are so many great tips. It is a must read if traveling with a parent. The best tip. After you travel with your parent take one after for your self.
Chris
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
I like this book! Even though it's too late to travel with my own parents, I learned some useful tips for my own future travel. My wife and I don't find it as simple as it once was, so some of the tips made good sense to us. Grubb's practical good sense, flexibility, and good humor make her a great travel companion. Her mom is very lucky.
David Hamme
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book... packed with great little nuggets of advice.
Sharron
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway. What a great book to receive because I travel with my mom as much as she wants to go. Great tips and advice.
Noelle Walsh
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a good book with plenty of tips for traveling with your elderly relatives. It would be a good idea to read this before traveling with them, just so you can have an idea or two of how to get out of certain situations (or give yourself a hand in dealing with certain situations) and reduce potential stress that would otherwise put a damper on a good trip.

*won as a GoodReads Giveaway*
Ishita
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am sure we all have the same cringing expression on our face when we make travel plans with the family. We all wonder if the fun factor of visiting a new place can truly be experienced if our parents are there. the numerous planning that you have to do have to consider your parents, and this gets exhausting. However, the author has provided the readers with practical advices that can be followed when you are stuck in such a situation. Having traveled 300,000 miles with her 84-year old mother i ...more
Sydney
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Valerie Grubb, author of Planes, Canes and Automobiles, takes us through all of the intricate preparation, in-flight, on-the-road and follow-up details to take the guesswork and minefields out of traveling with older parents. These helpful tips and lists pave the way for travelers to experience laughter and love as adults learning from new cultures and through each other. Beyond all of the lists, Grubb shows how It can open new doors, in transit and at home, to conversations and memories which c ...more
Babs
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book via a Goodreads Giveaway.

First of all I need to say thank you to the author, Valerie, for sending me a lovely card with this book as well as a personalised inscription on the front cover. I thought that was a really lovely touch.

This book is a wealth of information on travelling, not just with an elderly parent, but with anyone who may have additional medical or physical needs that need to be considered when booking a trip. There is lots of practical
SALLY WHITE
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Goodreads for sending me this book. This is an interesting and informative book, which can be read & enjoyed from a number of different aspects. Practical advice on just about everything you need to consider when planning a holiday. There is a wealth of practical information, guidance and tips, checklists and where to access further information. So comprehensive is this book, that I guess if you were to use this book as a guide to plan such a trip, you can rest assured that there is pr ...more
Teresa
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grg-reads
I received this book through a Goodreads give-away for free. I really liked this book. Ms. Grubb does an excellent job using her experiences of traveling with her aged mother to help prepare those that might be headed for the same experience. She covers everything you can think of from medical, emotional, and physical aspects of travel that one may not think. Having all the resources in the back, along with the checklists, is awesome. One may also get some ideas using the book when traveling wit ...more
Kristal Cooper
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
The author takes what could be an overwhelming subject and breaks it down so that even novice travelers will feel comfortable tackling a trip with a senior parent. Every angle and eventuality is covered in an honest and upbeat manner. You'll find timelines for planning, checklists for packing, and the best tips from users of Grubb's website (www.travelwithagingparents.com). The advice is not just logistical, but psychological as well. I learned a lot and will be passing it to my mother and siste ...more
John
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Planes, Canes, and Automobiles: Connecting with Your Aging Parents through Travel is a great read. There is so much great information packed inside this book. All I can say is that the title says it all and that "Chris", "Sydney", "Sharron" and all the other GoodRead FIVE Star Reviews hit it on the nail! I won this book n GoodReads and normally I pay it forward but I need to get my children to read tis one. Thanks Valerie!
Mary
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is great. It is definitely a help if your traveling with a parent or parents. The author gives you ideas on what to do before, during and after the vacation. She has lists for everything to do to get ready and even for while your on vacation. She gives you resources to contact, what arrangements you should make for anything that could or might come up. This is a book for any traveler and I am keeping it in my library for future reference.
Donna
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book very quickly. I wanted to get as many details about traveling with my aging parents as I could. This book has awesome ideas on how to travel with tips, checklists and other ideas. Author really gave a first hand account on how to travel with aging parents and has lots of funny anecdotes and stories. If you are thinking of traveling with older parents then this book is for you.

I won this book through Goodreads.
Mona Harrison
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel, non-fiction
A wonderful, thoughtful resource for those traveling with aging parents! I received an early copy shortly after my first trip overseas with my husband, daughter, son-in-law and grandson, and we saw many of our successes and failures in this book. I was especially touched by the obvious love and respect shown between the author and her mother.
Barb
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't quite finished the book yet since it isn't the sort of book you read in seversl sittings. I read some then think about how I can incorporate the information into my current situation. I wanted the information to use while traveling, as well as daily living, with my handicapped husband. I found the book to be an easy read with lots of useful information. Good job!
M.L.
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book provides practical, real-world information in a well-written and easy-to-read, interesting format. There is a growing need for people to read this book as the population of older citizens grows.
Eileen
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book as a goodreads first read. This book has a wealth of information on traveling not only with aging parents, but for yourself. I will be keeping this book as a reference for traveling in the future and will share information with my friends and family as needed.
Ingrid Laub
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for anyone contemplating travel with an older parent. Chock full of common-sense advice to make your trip as stress-free and memorable as it can be.
Melisa Shafer
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great common and not-so-common sense with helpful resources.
Steven Schaedel
Oct 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
very enjoyable
Bev Ordway
Sep 12, 2016
THE Group for Aut...: Combined Book Exhibit at Frankfurt Book Fair 7 46 Sep 07, 2015 02:32AM
My father was a pilot, so I was born with travel in my blood. I took my first solo trip at the age of four (when I wandered out of eyesight of my house one day). Since then I’ve continued to make exploring the world a priority while pursuing careers in both operations management and executive coaching.

Mom and I took our first overseas vacation together when she was sixty-four, and in the more 20+