Start by marking “Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer” as Want to Read:
Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer

Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer

You have an enemy . . . and he’s dead set on destroying all you hold dear and keeping you from experiencing abundant life in Christ. What’s more, his approach to disrupting your life and discrediting your faith isn’t general or generic, not a one-size-fits-all. It’s specific. Personalized. Targeted.

So this book is your chance to strike back. With prayer. With a weapon t
Published August 1st 2015 by B Books (first published July 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Fervent, please sign up.
Kailey (BooksforMKs) Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God
by Timothy J. Keller…more
Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God
by Timothy J. Keller(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lesley Smedley Hi Robin! I am just now seeing this question. I don't necessarily consider the action to be that of the puppet. However, I do believe that when we are…moreHi Robin! I am just now seeing this question. I don't necessarily consider the action to be that of the puppet. However, I do believe that when we are being prayerful or seeing to increase our spirituality, it is difficult for the enemy to infiltrate our minds. Therefore, he will find ways to irritate you and those around you. (less)

Start your review of Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer
Morgan
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you're in search of a good resource on prayer, here is a list of books I would recommend

Tim Keller, "Prayer"
D.A. Carson, "A Call to Spiritual Reformation"
Paul Miller, "A Praying Life"
Chappell, "Praying Backwards"
Donald Whitley, "Praying the Bible"
(which ones would you add? Would love your feedback in comments)

Each of these books rightly focuses prayer on the One who receives glory in our praying. Unfortunately, I felt Shirer spent so much time focusing on Satan that one may find it easy to be
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
If you have seen the movie War Room and are longing to implement what you saw on the screen through Priscilla Shirer's character then you need this book. I loved the movie but this book just takes it over the top. If you've ever experienced a Bible study by Priscilla you already know what I mean. If not let me give you a little glimpse of what is to come.

The opening of the book sets the stage so you will have no doubt about what is expected. Here's the opening paragraph to prove what I'm saying:
Karen
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Priscilla has written a book on prayer that is as practical as they come. It's not a theoretical dissertation on prayer. It's a nuts and bolts "let's get on our knees and get after it" guide. Step by step coverage of ten different areas of your life: passion, focus, identity, family, past, fears, purity, pressures, hurts and relationships. She includes numerous specific scriptures for each of these ten areas. If this book doesn't motivate you in the war against the enemy of your soul I don't kno ...more
Robin Hatcher
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book on prayer. Fervent prayer. I read it on my Kindle, but I think I will need to buy a print copy so that I can more easily focus in on the ends of each chapter. Whether I do that or not, this is a book that should be read more than once and should be put into practice. Thanks, Pricilla, for your obedience in writing this book!
Jeanie
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Rating 3.5 stars

Praying fervently is gearing up to do battle. Prayer works as an offense and a defense. Prayer releases all your external resources.

Before I go into what I like about this book, I want to express my concerns. Shirer is passionate about prayer and how as Christians we can underestimate what Satan can do. I do not dispute that, however, it can be too easy to say The devil made me do it. I don't think that is what she is saying because her book is all about strategy It can be easy
Amy
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-reviews
WOW!! I am so impressed with this book, I am not sure I can cram how I feel about it in a short review. This book has certainly taken me to new heights in my prayer life and made me think about the areas it has been lacking, as well as, develop new strategies for prayer. Most importantly though, Priscilla has re-enforced a truth I so easily forget - We have an enemy!! That enemy is not our family members, husband, friends, church, leaders, co-workers - That enemy is Satan - the devil himself - w ...more
Beth Vogt
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was given Fervent as a gift and, within a few days of starting to read it, I bought three copies of it to give as gifts, too. When I say this book is "life changing," I don't use the term lightly. Priscilla Shirer reminds woman of the importance and power of prayer -- and then leads us through specific areas in our life to pray over. Reading this book -- and writing out personalized prayers -- breathed new life into my prayer time.
Kells Next Read
"Prayer with purpose and Precision"

Powerful!!! So Powerful I listen to this twice. A must read for all christians. I'll have to have this as a regular re-read every six months. We are at war and the battle needs to be fought on our knees in prayer.

"The Bible is an old book but God's word is always fresh and vibrant."

Had to Re-Read as I finally got me the physical copy of this book.

Still a 5 Star Read. Glory to God!!
Rachel B
May 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shirer claims this book offers a plan for specific and strategic prayer. I'm not convinced.

Each of the 10 chapters covers an area of life where we Christians tend to struggle - she calls them "strategies that Satan uses to destroy us" - Passion, Focus, Identity, Family, Past, Fears, Purity, Pressures, Hurts, Relationships.

She gives only one strategy for prayer: the acronym PRAY - Praise, Repentance, Asking, Yes (essentially, claiming biblical promises). So there is a lot of repetition, as she re
Emma
Wow! This was a very eye-opening, inspiring book that really motivated me to start my own prayer journal, and also become more specific and intentional in my prayer life. I love how she wrote the book in a way that made you feel like you were just having a conversation with her, making it much more personal. Loved it!
nerd culture is mainstream now. [jo]
~Heads up~
The author does not use KJV
~Personal review~
A lot of women love this book and I totally get it. It’s fun, it’s passionate, it’s personal.
I have a word of caution though.
This book teeters in the edge of a very FEELINGS ORIENTED spiritual life (or should I say death, because once a person begins feeding on feelings alone, they will spiritually starve.)
Prayer is a wonderful thing.
It is a spiritual thing.
There is a spiritual battle going on right now.
>So why do I caution against this book
Ashley
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
After completing the Armor of God study by Priscilla Shirer a couple years ago I knew I wanted to pick up Fervent.

In many ways, this book was an echo of Armor of God, with many of the same topics and stories. Nonetheless, it was a great refresher and I benefitted in many ways from reading this. I have started writing my prayers down since I started reading and have already noticed a difference in my life. Prayer is something I have always struggled with because I find my mind wandering as I pray
Regina
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I actually read the other devotional that was written to go along with the movie "War Room" first. I found it to be more insightful and practical. Honestly it seemed like the author repeated herself a lot and sometimes was rather simplistic and trite. She definitely stresses writing down your prayers to repeat. I prefer to pray from my heart and use scripture that God brings to my mind rather than reading my prayers. I think it would tend to become habitual and monotonous to pray that way. Her m ...more
Keli R
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book, divvied into strategy, namely prayer strategies, for ten major areas of life, is remarkable. I mean WOW to the number of times I kept referencing them long after I read them. Don’t know what took me so long to finish it.....personal problems, grief, collapse in my prayer life maybe? But when it touched my hands again, I found that it contains the same infallible truth about God’s Word and the powerful weapon that is prayer. Amen.
Tim Chavel
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thai book was written after the movie, "War Room!" The author played an important part in the movie and she is also a well known Christian speaker, and daughter of the Pastor Tony Evans. Even though this book is written for women, I think it is an encouragement and challenge to all who read it. Many wonderful principles taught in this book! I trust the quotes below will be a blessing to you:

Not everything good thing is a God thing. ~Priscilla Shirer

Satan’s ploy is to make you believe your core v
Callie
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Update: I'm adding an update to this post because I read another really helpful review on this book that brought up some concerns that are totally valid. I enjoyed this book and just kind of dismissed some of the silly parts the first time I read it, but this review was really fair in how it covered the aspects that I liked and also brought up some things that are probably more concerning than I originally gave them credit for. I've learned a few things about Shirer that have me a bit more wary. ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. The author doesn't seem very knowledgeable about theology or the proper way to interpret Scripture. I lost confidence in their opinion pretty quickly. Some of the points are really good, but others are a bit of a stretch and don't quite line up with Biblical theology.

The author emphasizes spiritual warfare and the devil's schemes a little too much. I would have preferred more emphasis on Christ's power and the sweet restfulness of prayer,
Rissa
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fervent ⭐️
Teaching us how to pray better. How to see who the real enemy is and why we need to stop blaming ourselves, our family and friends and even God. We need to realise that Satan in the prince of earth and he loves the chaos and madness. We need to rise above and focus on God. Praying helps.
Isaac
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
If you are a guy put the tape on the WO and read this book, I really love Priscilla Shirer and books on Prayer that's the reason I picked this book but I didn't enjoy this book it's below my expectation 🤦🏾‍♂️ it's no near to her standards, I've read so many great books on Prayer!!
Leslie M.
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is different from just about any other one I have ever encountered. It is designed to be used and lived, not just read. There is so much to digest, so be sure to allow ample time when working through the chapters. It is not a theological discussion, but a hands-on resource. It is well-organized, easy to follow, and thought-provoking. It is so relatable, particularly as Shirer includes a number of personal stories. The enemy is set on destroying us, but we don’t have to allow it.

As Shir
Michelle Bolanger
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had more than 5 stars to give this book! Marking it 'done' is not entirely accurate, because for at least the forseeable future, this book will remain close by so I can read and re-read it as often as necessary.

If you are looking for a book ABOUT prayer...this is not your book. She says so in the very first chapter and she meant it. This book takes a hard look at the areas of our lives (10 of them to be specific) where the enemy is most likely to be watching, waiting, and formulating hi
Rachel Dodson
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Do you want to be a prayer warrior? Have you ever felt that your prayer life needed something extra? Do you want to know the perfect strategies to fight against the battles of the devil? This is the book for you. Follow Priscilla through a journey of your prayer life. Find strategies for fighting against the devil in his attempt to distract you and those around you.

I have been so enveloped by this book. I can't believe the difference it has made in my life. I have been a Christian for a very l
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Ready to do battle with your prayer life? If not, pass this book straight on by. An enemy is out there and if you want to just collect go, get your $200 bucks and move through life, don't bother. How
Christy Ryan
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was my first non fiction audio book, and I couldn't have picked a better one. I listened to several samples before I purchased and that really helped! Some books I had been wanting to read were just not as easy to listen too. Pricilla voices this herself. Her passion and reading style had me so hooked that I finished this in a couple of days, although I know I will probably go back and listen to this one over and over.

Praying specifically and really waging war in my prayer life is for sure
Meredith
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Extremely simplistic, I feel like Priscilla put way too much emphasis on every single one of our problems being because of the devil, and not because of any of our human elements, which is more in line of what you will find in the Bible. I also felt like her use of scripture was stretching often, it was more that she would make a point and then search for scripture to back it up rather than starting with the scripture and then extrapolating from there.
Marilyn Diamond
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Listen this is one of those books you put up in your personal library to keep referring back to.

Not only did I embark on a prayer vision with writing down my prayers with scripture, God has answered and his word is not void. War Room has started a phenonmenon!

Priscilla is on a Fervent Tour and I'm going to be in the audience to get my word on.
MacKenzie
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, faith
I was hesitant to start this book but it turned out to be fabulous! Strong encouragement to prayer while also making us much more aware of the enemy we are facing. Filled with scripture references for strategic prayer, Fervant is a tremendous resource. I think that every woman could stand to benefit from this book!
Ellen Kehs
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book. It changed my outlook and method of prayer.
I found myself highlighting and taking notes throughout every chapter, and frequently writing The names of girlfriends who I could apply scripture to or pray for . Great read!
Michelle Slomp
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Loved this book. A quick simple read, however, full of deep truths.
Shirley Ross
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
This is a book I needed to read at this time in my life. I recommend it to all
What is your battle plan? 2 9 Sep 24, 2020 08:45AM
Fervent by Priscilla Shirer 3 15 Oct 05, 2019 09:50PM

• It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely
  • The Battle Plan for Prayer: Attacking Life's Struggles Through Prayer
  • The Best Yes: Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
  • Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
  • War Room: Prayer Is a Powerful Weapon
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
  • Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food
  • Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe
  • Relationship Goals: How to Win at Dating, Marriage, and Sex
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life
  • Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence