Start by marking “Der Friedensstifter (Star Trek: The Original Series, #4)” as Want to Read:
Der Friedensstifter (Star Trek: The Original Series, #4)

Der Friedensstifter

(Star Trek: The Original Series #81)

Kirk, Spock, McCoy ...

Gibt es jemanden, dem diese Namen nichts sagen? Wohl kaum, die drei Männer der Enterprise sind inzwischen geradezu ikonische Charaktere. Seit Mitte der 1960er Jahre fliegt die U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 unter dem Kommando von Captain Kirk durch den Weltraum.

Nach jahrtausendlangem Krieg könnten die Planeten Prastor und Distrel endlich dauerhaften Fried
314 pages
Published January 28th 2013 by Cross Cult (first published January 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Der Friedensstifter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Friedensstifter

Start your review of Der Friedensstifter (Star Trek: The Original Series, #4)
Wendy
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was fun. Really. I'm not being sarcastic! I was actually kind of dreading this book, because in the Star Trek episodes in which he appears, I strongly disliked Harry Mudd. I didn't need to worry, though, because this book made me kind of, sort of like him! It was a fun little ride, and I enjoyed it even more since I just got done reading two not-at-all fun books.

Of course, I have to give the author, Jerry Oltion, props anyway, because even if the book had sucked, he thanked someone fo
Jerry
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had fun with this one.
Dan
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, tos
Mudd in Your Eye is definitely an enjoyable TOS adventure, with some fascinating world-building. I was never the biggest fan of Harry Mudd, but his character is a little more well-rounded in this novel. His final gambit at the end of the story in order to get away once again was inspired, and I have to admit to being as fooled as Captain Kirk was. A fun story with an interesting premise that held my attention, Mudd in Your Eye would benefit from a re-read due to the twists we learn later in the ...more
Bryan
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, sf
Why give a Star Trek book 4 stars? Is this a hidden gem of high literature that the world needs to discover?

No... but it's got Harry Mudd! Con man extraordinaire, the dapper and witty miscreant is the main attraction in this book. In fact, Mudd takes center stage even over Kirk himself - in a unique twist I'd never thought to see in a Trek book.

It's not as easy as one might think to write a Trek book...
- it must be consistent with the show (both in terms of plotlines and in characterization)
Adam Goss
I had high hopes for this one as I love Harry Mudd - mainly the original, largely comic version played by Roger Carmel, not so much the darker (tho still well-written and acted) version played by Rainn Wilson (and of course this book well-predates Wilson's performance on Discovery by about 20 years).

So I was disappointed to find that, although Oltion wrote an interesting mystery with good action and twists (some a little more hard to swallow than others, I have to admit), he forgot to bring the
Aricia Gavriel
Being in the book for classic Trek, I was on a roll with a shelf full of novels at a friend's place (hi, Jade!) and the second I chanced to pick up was this one -- a Harry Mudd-centric comedy thriller which I'd expected to be fluff, and which turned out to be very fluffy indeed. Flyaway entertainment. The plot is okay; the writing is okay; the characterizations are okay.

Uh, what can you say? A solid 3 stars, I guess; not quite “meh”, but not the kind of rolling on the floor, breaking ribs laugh
Will Nelson
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listen, I never expected a book featuring Harcourt Fenton Mudd to give me major Sads, but this succeeded beautifully at the Presumed Dead trope. Everyone's characterization was beautiful as well - there was a lot of wonderful Spock-McCoy banter that warmed my soul. Themes include finding the middle ground between different values, the value of death and of life, and the kind of love that comes with bickering. A very fun read!
Snogged
Mudd In Your Eye is a TOS adventure that features the titular con-man, Harcourt Fenton Mudd. It's set not that long after the events of "I, Mudd" (Stella androids.) It started off a bit slower than I expected, but overall, I had fun with it once the mystery of the planet started to reveal itself. I also loved all of the McCoy-Spock banter. <3 ...more
reherrma
Eine Harry Mudd Geschichte...
Becky
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fun classic trek novel. Very entertaining plot with great characterisations
Monica Leigh
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one. Interesting new take on a couple of old concepts, and we got to spend some time with Harry Mudd.
Thomas
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Mudd fan. Star Trek was always better when it did nit take itself too seriously,
Charles
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is clear from the title and the cover that this story features the scamp Harcourt (Harry) Mudd. Therefore, one expects there to be a little comedy in the story, as Mudd can be counted on to be obnoxious and create headaches for Captain Kirk and the rest of the Enterprise crew.
The story starts out interesting, the two planets Prastor and Distrel have been at war for millennia and it appears that peace is actually at hand. The Enterprise arrives to represent the Federation and they are surpr
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mudd in Your Eye takes place during the original 5-year mission. No Stardate is listed.

Harcourt Fenton Mudd, from the original Star Trek series, has always remained a favorite character of mine. He appeared in two different episodes, "Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd." He also appeared on the animated series in a show called "Mudd's Passion." All of the episodes are funny and I loved the Stella android that was tasked to watch over him.

In this story, Harry Mudd once again makes an appears in the Star
Paul Lunger
When the worlds Prastor & Distrel give up fighting after 12 millennia of warfare, the Enterprise is sent to investigate why & encounter old nemesis Harry Mudd. Thus is the plot of Jerry Oltion's "Mudd in Your Eye" which brings back the old nemesis of the Enterprise in novel form. The overall concept behind the story seems relatively simplistic but gets out of hand when the reasoning behind the war gets revealed & even Mudd's tactics get old very quickly along with the return of android wife Stel ...more
James Lotshaw
I’m guilty when I first saw this book, because I really liked the no account scoundrel that is Harry Mudd, and it’s a real shame that his character didn’t appear again in the Original Classic Series. While this book has many of the same stereotypical situations, that the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise encountered during the series (ie. a society that is run by a computer, and the death of a beloved character only to be revived again later in the episode). I feel that this would have been a decent ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
"Mudd in Your Eye" just scrapes its way to a 3 star rating. The novel has a light & pleasant tone, some solid action writing, and a neat plot twist. But I find Harry Mudd & his Stella-droid to be largely unnecessary to the proceedings, and the overall tale didn't exactly compel me to finish the novel quickly. Harmless, forgettable fun. ...more
Kreg
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tos
Yet another computer-run civilization. At least this time it wasn't Kirk that broke the Prime Directive to put it back in what the rest of the universe would consider "normal". Characterizations were somewhat flat, and the plot dragged on in places, but overall it was far better than some other Trek books.
Read1000books
If you enjoyed Harcourt Fenton (aka Harry) Mudd in the two original series episodes "I, Mudd" and "Mudd's Women", you will welcome the return of one of ST's most lovable con men.
Philip Tha- B. Toole
Not a great book, this series is never ending, but it's Trek, what're you gonna do. And Harry Mudd's such a rascal, he can make a story palatable all by himself.
Elizabeth
It is exactly what a Star Trek book should be. A fun romp through the galaxy
Tish
Catherine Wright
Apr 21, 2016

• The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • Hole's Live Through This
  • The Girl Who Lived Twice: A Lisbeth Salander Novel, Continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series
  • The Feminine Mystique
  • The Second Sex
  • Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil
  • Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity
  • Star Quest, Roboworld
  • 90s Bitch: Media, Culture, and the Failed Promise of Gender Equality
  • Star Trek: The New Voyages (Star Trek Adventures, #2)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • The Time Collector
  • The Litigators
  • Triangle (Star Trek: The Original Series #9)
  • Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man
  • Live Long and . . . : What I Learned Along the Way
  • The Price of the Phoenix (Star Trek Adventures, #4)
Jerry Oltion (pronounced OL-tee-un) has been a gardener, stone mason, carpenter, oilfield worker, forester, land surveyor, rock 'n' roll deejay, printer, proofreader, editor, publisher, computer consultant, movie extra, corporate secretary, magazine columnist, and garbage truck driver. For the last 37 years he has also been a writer, with 15 novels and over 150 stories published so far.

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit (Star Trek: The Original Series #3)
  • The Covenant of the Crown (Star Trek: The Original Series #4)
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle (Star Trek: The Original Series #9)
  • Web of the Romulans (Star Trek: The Original Series #10)

News & Interviews