Start by marking “Slavemakers” as Want to Read:
Slavemakers

Slavemakers

The new postapocalyptic thriller from the author of Invasive Species

IT’S THEIR TERRITORY NOW.

Twenty years ago, venomous parasitic wasps known as “thieves” staged a massive, apocalyptic attack on another species—Homo sapiens—putting them on the brink of extinction.

But some humans did survive. The colony called Refugia is home to a population of 281, including scientists,
Published December 1st 2015 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Slavemakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slavemakers

Start your review of Slavemakers
Cheryl
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thieves in the night...

Almost twenty years have passed since the huge parasitic wasps known as "thieves" started swarming the earth and caused an insect apocalypse. This was first described in author Wallace's novel INVASIVE SPECIES.

Millions of people died and most of those that are left are in either parasitic slavery to the wasps or are humans enslaved by their need to stay alive.

There are some non-affected humans left - ones that took a rare vaccine made from a plant are just some of these. 2
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Post-Apocalyptic, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

Joseph Wallace's Slavemakers is actually the sequel to 2013's Invasive Species, but some 20 years into the future. The world as we know is it, no longer exists. A venomous parasite species known as Thieves, have taken over the world, and decimated the population. The Thieves have made slaves out of the human race, and only a small number of humans remain untouched by the massive attacked that tore apart humanity
Victoria
Finding out that there was a sequel to Invasive Species was a pleasant surprise! Set twenty years after the close of the first book, this provides the aftermath of the the "thieves" - the titular slavemaking wasps that have taken over the world. Like the first, the book moves along at a quick pace and follows multiple perspectives to give a good sense of the state of the whole world in the wake of the devastation described in the first book.

Some characters are familiar from the first book, but t
Nancy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice to see the story continue, but it didn't really answer the question about the "new humans". ...more
Tessa Stockton
A duology that is well-written in a unique kind of fashion, sort of like a fascinating fusion of apocalyptic lyricism. The first book, Invasive Species, was more concrete. This sequel, Slavemakers, is more abstract or maybe even a touch metaphysical, especially at the end, causing a few minor bouts of confusion. So, I favored the first one; however, I thoroughly enjoy this author’s style as a whole and would read another thriller by him.
Jessica Bronder
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
20 years after the thieves have taken over the world, we join a few human survivors. In one group, 281 people have survived after taking a rare vaccine in Africa. They have built a boat and plan on exploring the ravaged world. More humans than expected have survived, unfortunately they have become the hosts for the thieves or are being controlled. True humans are far and few between. Will the last few humans survive or are they going to fall to the control of the thieves.

Although this book is a
Zaion
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves science fiction or great writing of the human experience
Recommended to Zaion by: Read previous book Invasive Species and fell in love with the writing
Slavemakers is a sequel to Joe Wallace's Invasive Species, but there is no need to have read the first book to read and appreciate Slavemakers. I was as hooked in the first ten pages as I was by Invasive Species. The imagery was vibrant and allowed me to visualize every step, every action by the characters, to the point of hearing their voices in my head. Every page felt as if I was walking the journey alongside Malcolm, Kait, and Aisha, experiencing every momentary rise of hope and shiver of fe ...more
Brenda
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in a series by Joseph Wallace. The first, "Invasive Species" introduced us to a new species of parasitic wasps that use humans and other animals as incubators for their larvae. They communicate telepathically as one large mind, which enables them to also enslave non-hosts to do the will of the hive. The first book was so good, that I really wasn't sure if this one would live up to the story, but I had nothing to worry about. This story begins 20 years after the wasps basi ...more
Polly Krize
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Post-apocalyptic fiction at its best! Giant parasitic wasps have overrun huge tracts of Africa, using mammals (including humans) as incubators. Their hive mind enables them to be in contact with the millions (billions?) of their kind to stay protected. Mr. Wallace has created a fascinating (and plausible) world where Mother Nature has gone insane and the human struggle is terrible. I hadn't realized this was a second volume, but bel
Brian Salyards
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
I'm really glad I stumbled across Invasive Species, and I was excited to read the sequel. Kind of a cross between Mira Grant's Parasitology series and World War Z, these books do not disappoint.

I'm not a big wasp fan, so the idea of 3 inchers implanting their larvae in people's stomachs adds a little horror aspect to me.

Without giving too much away, this book jumps ahead decades from the staggering events of the first, and introduce a new type of character into a new kind of world.

Complaints? T
Elizabeth Reuter
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Great action, fast-moving plot, zero characterization. After reading, the story was very clear and exciting, and I had no trouble making it through to the end, enjoying it all the way. However, I never learned to tell any one character apart from any other, and the world was never fully built, leaving me sure I'd never read this book again.

This one is for a good, quick read. It's fun, it's fast, and the bits of the world we do get to see give readers an interesting dystopia to play in.
Lynn
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The exception to the sequels-are-never-as-good-as-the-first-book rule; as much as I loved the 1st (Invasive Species), I loved this book even more, so beautifully written; every character so well developed; Mr. Wallace is in the minority of male writers who can write from the female, in addition to the male, view & get it right. Just a great series and a great author!
Kelly
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, and the "Crichton meets Rollins-esque" plot certainly held promise, but ultimately (and through no fault of the author, who is a fine writer) I just simply could not get into this story. ...more
Connie Wisniewski
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Unique plot. Great characters. If you like dooms day and bugs, you will like this.
Alan

• The Land Below
  • The House of a Hundred Whispers
  • The Last Astronaut
  • The River at Night
  • Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire, #3)
  • Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2)
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • Species Unknown: A Novel of The Watch
  • Another Man's Moccasins (Walt Longmire, #4)
  • The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1)
  • Fury of the Orcas
  • A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1-3)
  • The Dark Horse (Walt Longmire, #5)
  • The Winter of Frankie Machine
  • The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Eden
  • Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1)
I am thrilled to announce that SLAVEMAKERS, the follow-up to my novel INVASIVE SPECIES, will be published by Ace Books on December 1!

Set twenty years after the apocalyptic events of
INVASIVE SPECIES ("You might want to read this one under the bed"--Jack McDevitt), SLAVEMAKERS was a blast to write. I loved being able to use some of the fascinating--not to mention creepy--facts I've learned during my