Start by marking “H.E.A.R.” as Want to Read:
H.E.A.R.

H.E.A.R.

Kassandra Black used to get away with things. She was her high school’s anonymous vigilante, exposing bullies and predators. But when she’s expelled for breaking into another student’s car just weeks before graduation, her acceptance to Columbia is revoked.

Now her future depends on behaving herself for the summer at Henley University under the watchful eye of her
Published December 29th 2015 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about H.E.A.R., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about H.E.A.R.

Start your review of H.E.A.R.
Jen Ryland
May 29, 2015 added it
Shelves: bea-2015
As a kid, I LOVED books and movies about kids with ESP. Escape to Witch Mountain? I was obsessed with that movie, so I had high hopes for this book about a girl who is accepted into a summer program and learns that it's because she and the other kids in the program all have ESP.

Unfortunately, this one wasn't for me. My main problem with this book was that, despite a pretty interesting premise, the story I got wasn't gripping or suspenseful. Goodreads says it's 272 pages but it felt much longer.
Lisa Mandina
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First, thanks to Edelweiss and Soho Teen for allowing me to read an e-galley of this title. I feel like I haven't read a ton of books on ESP lately, it's been more about magical types of creatures, or fantasy worlds when the people could read minds. So this was kind of a nice breath of fresh air. I used to read a lot of stories like this when I was a teenager, one of my favorite series being the Psi Patrol trilogy. I really liked where the story went, some of the twists were surprises, and I was ...more
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for my honest review.

I guess I will be another black sheep on this one because I just do not get it. This book was so BORING!! God, I was yawning through most of it. So the premise talks about one of her friends being murdered. Do you want to know when that happens? Sometime around the 70% mark. Ahhhh!! So what happened up until that point? Not a damn thing, that's what. Kass spent most of the book complaining that no one had ever told her she had
Shira
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this book here. I got it on a whim from the library, and hence regretted it cause I expected it to be one of those classic teenage books that are so popular nowadays. It was and it was not. For one thing, I actually enjoyed reading it and felt COMPELLED to continue reading it, unlike most other science fiction teen books. The characters were also not full cliches. They were cliche-ish, but not really. The romance wasn't hateful also. The perfect recipe for a good book. So what is there not to ...more
Sally Ember
I wanted to give Hear by Robin Epstein a higher rating than 3 stars because it's the first fiction book I've finished in a while. I actually really liked it at first, maybe for the first half. Then, it kind of fell apart, for me.

I am averse to reading stories with terroristic/CIA elements when I didn't know, when I started reading it, that those would be included (no spoilers, I promise). I had thought, from the blurb, testimonials and cover as well as the introductory author's note and prologue, that H.E.A.R. was
Rachel Kramer Bussel
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up HEAR but was intrigued by the plotline; I found that I was immediately drawn into the setting. Kass doesn't know that she has ESP at the start of the book; she does know that spending the summer as a research subject of her uncle at Henley University is necessary after getting kicked out of high school. As she starts to unlock her own powers of ESP, she also has to navigate the tricky social terrain of her sometimes prickly fellow students. Epstein ...more
Jon
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uh. This was alright, I guess? I mean, it was entertaining, and it had moments of semi-brilliance, but overall it wasn't anything special. A lot of things were just glossed over, or moved past with rapidity just to (in my opinion) keep up the tempo of the story, to it's overall detriment. I think it could have been a little longer, and a little slower and have had a little more depth, and it would have been all to the good. I probably wouldn't read a sequel to this.
Mandy
Interesting premise, but lacked in execution and world building.

Read my full review on FYA.
Scottsdale Public Library
Predictions show that readers who enjoy a good mystery with psychic ability tossed into the mix will like this well-written teen novel. Kass is devastated when her dreams of attending Columbia University die, as a result of being expelled from her high school and grateful when her uncle offers her a chance to attend Henley University instead. Such a generous offer comes with a price, of course, as Kass learns that the college may have connections with a super secret project to enhance students' ...more
ReadWriteLove28

HEAR was one of the most fascinating books that I’ve read in quite a while. If you enjoy mysteries with twists that appear nonstop, and are completely unexpected, this is the book for you. And, not only was it interesting, but Robin Epstein, the author, did lots of research on the topic in order to make it as accurate as possible. This book honestly blew my mind- in a good way.

Imagine being the perfect student, getting into Columbia, and then- one day- you do something in order to extract
Alyssa Comeau
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! I read a lot (I mean, a lot) of sci-fi young adult books, but the whole premise of ESP is something that I feel hasn't really been done before - at least not in this way. But I thought that it was done really well here. The scientific explanations were a little vague but still believable. I wish there would've been more instances of the group practicing their powers and reacting to prompts; the scenes where Brian was training them were some of the most interesting and ...more
Silu Sao
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I participate in a Mother/Daughter book club and I screened this book as a potential choice. I was initially drawn to the intriguing cover and honestly, I could not put it down! It's a smartly written combination of a classic Lois Duncan novel meets an episode of the show 24. Both of which I love! When I say that it's smartly written, I mean that the author does not dumb down the scientific information for the audience, but somehow manages to make it witty and entertaining at the same time.

The
Carol
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite some minor issues like a couple of almost throwaway characters or personal issues that aren't fully resolved, I did actually love this book. I don't agree with the reviewers who said it was slowly paced. I actually found the opposite to be true and totally gobbled this up. Reeeeally hoping there's a sequel in the works!

Random: anyone else imagine actor Brian Cox as Uncle Brian??
Karla
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I feel like for a book about ESP, this book was sort of predictable in how it ended. I mean I kinda saw the whole 'betrayal' part coming. I really liked it, I just feel like it was really abrupt, there could have been some more story here, some more detail about some of the characters. It was ok for something free at the library.
Katharine
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I found this novel to be a really fun ride, with an intriguing and original premise. It's refreshing to read a YA heroine who isn't overly plagued with teenage insecurities or self-doubt, and whose confidence comes in knowing the right thing to do and doing it.
Robert
An obvious series opener. I could feel the author holding back. However, all of the characters charm and alarm in a good way -- though at times the story telling elements robs us a nice long soak with feelings.
***
Sasha Matthews
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-books
This book was interesting and informative. The extra information that explained what some of the terminology was done well and did not make me feel stupid for not knowing.
Aimee Meester
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, meh, paranormal
Again, not much to say. A fast read, not much character development, a vaguely interesting story. I would've liked more explanations, but oh well.
Caitlyn Duffy
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally loved this book - it's a rare YA thriller that's both credible and modern. The characters are well-formed, and I love a teen book with a kick-ass female narrator. Highly recommend!
Fiorela
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally love it! great mystery, nice character development.
Angela Cerkovnik
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I really want to give this 4 stars, but it didn't quite make the cut. Looking forward to the next one, though.
Aug 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC copy -- Expected publication: December 29th 2015 by Soho Teen
Kerrie (Layton) Box
excellent book, great story plot, and refreshingly new and unexpected story line
Hope
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not for me. Probably aimed at young teens, I wouldn't recommend it to someone that age, just for sheer clumsy writing. There are better books out there. The plot repeatedly focused on good looks, and the confusion the main character was feeling. Perhaps it would take a young teen by surprise, but the narrator seemed to be the Watson to the reader's Sherlock, which is a perplexing and frustrating way of approaching a story, seeing most of the plot twist before our protagonist does.
The concept
Fatima
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly liked this book a lot especially that it allows the reader to be engaged in a world filled with intellect and minds that are able to see the future of its fate.
This one is such a delight.
I finished it in four days only as it hooked me.
I was truly left puzzled at the end of this novel as I am 100% sure it must have a continuation.
Janis
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Well, the description is OK, but the story is better than that. Rather far-fetched, it's definitely a "the government is evil" type of book, but still enjoyable. The ending definitely sets up a sequel-I wonder if there was one...
Teenage Reads
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers
Shelves: 2016
ESP, which stands for Extra Sensory Perception, but commonly known as the sixth sense. It a since they can predict the future, from a bombing at a mall, natural disasters, and maybe even reading someone else’s mind. In the minds of the military, it is a great idea, as they put millions of dollars into the research of ESP. From the CIA, to local universities, every scientist in the world knows about ESP, but only a few have it, and from those few who do have it, only some know how to use it.

Kass
Charmaine
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read the acknowledgements to this book, the one thing that stood out to me was Robin Epstein's urging to "Go darker." If that was the goal, I believe she truly hit the nail on the head.

This book is all sorts of creepy and dark. The visions serve as prophecies that loom in the distance. You worry and wonder when the next domino will fall. The foreshadowing (both through the visions, and through individuals' handiwork) is stellar. There are a lot of fake-outs along the way. You need to
Robin Epstein
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Here's the synopsis: Expelled from high school months shy of graduation, Kassandra Black is sent to work in the lab of her great-uncle Brian at Henley University. What Kass doesn't know is that the Henley Engineering Anomalies Research lab -- the HEAR lab -- studies ESP. She soon discovers the other teenagers who are there possess startling abilities, and the mind games they play begin immediately. After forming a strong connection with one of the seductive young men in the group, Kass finally ...more
Joanna
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a smart, crackling, page-turning book! Robin Epstein has obviously researched ESP and various government programs so well and she's an Ivy League insider too, inviting us behind closed doors of elite clubs and eccentric professors' offices. These beautiful and diverse psychic teenagers charmed and seduced me and I want the sequel asap!!

• Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Forget Me
  • Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Careful Undressing of Love
  • The Forgetting (The Forgetting, #1)
  • Graduation Day (The Testing, #3)
  • The Potion Diaries (Potion, #1)
  • Oasis
  • Nightfall
  • Let's Talk About Love
  • One Was Lost
  • Forget Tomorrow (Forget Tomorrow, #1)
  • Remember Yesterday (Forget Tomorrow, #2)
  • Nil (Nil, #1)
  • Need (Need, #1)
Robin Epstein is a writer, runner, professor and astronaut* (*in her own mind). Beginning her career as a comic and television writer. Her last young adult novel, God Is In the Pancakes, was an official selection of the 2012 New York State Reading Association (NYSRA) Charlotte Award Master List. She's written for the New York Times, Marie Claire, Glamour, as well as other publications. A ...more