Start by marking “The Treacherous Net (Inspector Huss, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Treacherous Net (Inspector Huss, #8)

The Treacherous Net

(Inspector Huss #8)

It’s May and the snow has hardly melted in Göteborg, Sweden, but things are heating up quickly for Detective Inspector Irene Huss in the Violent Crimes Unit. The body of a teenage girl is found in the woods, naked and horrifically scarred. Then there’s the mummified body that is discovered bricked up in a chimney on a demolition site, not to mention the city’s ongoing prob ...more
Published December 15th 2015 by Soho Crime (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Treacherous Net, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treacherous Net

Francis
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
As an avid readers of mysteries you become tangled up in a lot of different series by a lot of different authors. Some time ago, I went beyond avid to obsessed. I normally read between eighty to a hundred mystery books a year and I currently have a back log of over a thousand books in my e-library. As a result, I can no longer afford the luxury of pondering what my next read will be, there are simply too many choices and as a consequence, I rely on a random selection tool to determine my next re ...more
Ken Fredette
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Helene Tursten developed two different stories that were quite different. The first was Elof Persson's death, it was in 1941 and it was thought that he was killed by a spy. The second case was about two girls that were raped and killed by a sick person through the internet. Each of these cases was solved through following up on several leads. Irene Huss was under a lot of pressure with her girls moving away and her mother dying. Her old boss, Andersson was in the cold case unit and helped solve ...more
Valerie
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Irene Huss mystery. It is one which I missed previously. There are two separate crimes being investigated; the serial rape and murder of at least two women, and a cold case where a father and son were murdered by the same person 28 years apart. I found the book a fast and engaging read and look forward to reading more in this series.
catechism
I really wonder how this translation is. The mysteries themselves -- and there are two, and they have nothing to do with each other, and that is weird -- are pretty good, but the writing itself didn't wow me. It's incredibly telly, almost pedantic, and I didn't connect with any of the characters. Why cannot I not learn all languages so I never have to read things in translation?? Alas.
Gloria Feit
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the publisher: It’s May and the snow has hardly melted in Goteborg, Sweden, but things are heating up quickly for Detective Inspector Irene Huss in the Violent Crimes Unit. The body of a teenage girl is found in the woods, naked and horrifically scarred. Then there’s the mummified body that is discovered bricked up in a chimney on a demolition site, not to mention the city’s ongoing problem with gang violence. With the sudden influx of cases and one detective out on maternity leave, everyon ...more
Larraine
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading Scandinavian fiction is nearly always an interesting change from American/British mysteries and police procedurals. For one thing, there is very little gun play. When a police officer shoots and/or kills a suspect, it is a big deal. Irene Huss is a complex character. A woman who comes from a working class family has been a police officer since she was a young woman. Her husband is a talented chef. They have two grown daughters. Irene is devoted to her family, but also to her job.
Sharon
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased, ibook
The Treacherous Net. Inspector Huss. #8. 2015 December iBook. Helene Tursten, Sweden.
This good read combined Irene and her team chasing a serial murderer who groomed teenage girls via the Internet. Quite a current crime, well explored.
Irene's family always a pleasant aspect of this series, even without the delightful Sammie!
And an exceptional case with her old boss Andersen and his Cold Case unit tracking down crimes from WWII, connecting to a murdered body found a couple of decades late
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Helen Tursten great as usual :)
This is a great series ... I love the character of Irene Huss. In this story we catch up with Irene's personal and professional life. I won;t give away the details though
There are two story lines - the one Irene is involved in (teen age girls being lured by a predator on the internet) and the story is about her ex-boss who is counting the days until his retirement working on a cold case - one in which "the net" was mentioned - way before the internet wa
Andy Plonka
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is really two mysteries in one. The first is a case involving a young man luring teenage girls into an assignation over the internet. The second a cold case involving the deaths of a father and son some years apart but committed by the same individual. As usual with Scandinavian mysteries social issues play a prominent role and Tursten does a good job of integrating the parts into a seamless whole.
Catherine
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never disappointed

Am never disappointed by the Inspector Huss series - the family life of Irene fills out her character and takes the reader on her life journey outside of work.
Kathy
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Helene Tursten's books--wonderful protagonist and storylines.
A Reader's Heaven

It's May and the snow has hardly melted in Göteborg, Sweden, but things are heating up quickly for Detective Inspector Irene Huss in the Violent Crimes Unit. The body of a teenage girl is found in the woods, naked and horrifically scarred. Then there's the mummified body that is discovered bricked up in a chimney on a demolition site, not to mention the city's ongoing problem with gang violence. With the/>It's
Mike Cuthbert
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
With “Net” having a double meaning in this thriller from Tursten, we move first and most prominently into the world of the Internet and chat rooms. A single killer is apparently targeting teenage girls and Inspector Huss is on the case. Complicating Irene Huss’s duties is a new superintendent, Efva Thylqvist who barely regards Irene and other female members of the Violent Crimes Unit, so enamored is she of men in general. The sexy Thylqvist cannot get in the way of the investigation but complica ...more
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very well written book with two main mysteries, two very different 'treacherous nets'. The balance between Irene's home life and work is better here than in the previous book, though her personal life takes a sad turn towards the end of the book. I like the way the author follows the two different teams of detectives - it's almost like two books in one - and the way she's grouped the detectives at work. There were a few unresolved issues, and in the modern day mystery I kept waiting fo ...more
Bob
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Swedish homicide officers on the track of the killer of two young teen girls have discovered that they are caught by the killer by being friended and "groomed" via the internet. Meanwhile to older members of the cold case squad are delving into the the murder of a body found bricked up in the basement by the furnace chimney which leads them to another murder years earlier. Good writing and the only difficulty is getting my head around the Swedish names.
Resalo
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Another strong book in the Irene Huss series. I hope this author keeps writing as I only have one book remaining to read in this set. What I love about this series is the character development along with interesting plots. In this current book, Irene and colleagues are faced with solving the murders of 2 young girls who are found murdered after being lured online by a serial murderer. Using good teamwork, they track the killer down. A very good read.
Anno
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best Irene Huss I have read to date...and I am reading the series in order. As always, current crime trends are the topics, with 2 parallel but different investigations taking place. I was on the edge of my seat for the latter part of this book, not knowing which direction things would go. We see Irene at a very low point as her family is emptying itself slowly... but the introduction of a new colleague sparks life back into her work family- can't wait to read the next in the series!
Susan Dion
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I almost stopped reading this book several times within the first 2/3rds of the book - my impression is that it was poorly translated into English. It felt immature-ish, choppy but the "wanting to know" pushed me over the hump and into a much more robust and exciting read. Tursten must be worth reading to have such a following but I am not anxious to read her next book as I have been with other authors in this genre.
Kelly Callaghan
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Irene Huss has a new boss and work has changed. As well as gang warfare a couple of young girls are found dead. Irene and the team investigate. Meanwhile Anderson has moved into the cold case unit for the last few weeks of his career. A body is found when a building is knocked down and it is the son of a man murdered 50 years earlier. He received the case file on the old a newer murder.

In her home life Irene experiences great changes whilst so busy solving these horrific crimes.
Sally
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another interesting investigation by Irene Huss. The book moved at a good pace and the crimes were well investigated. I liked that Anderson was involved in one of the two crimes they were working on.
Janellyn51
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting, the two net scenarios.....today's present day worries with sexual predators and kids on the internet, and......this cold case other net, that I don't want to give away.....but, one could ask who is the predator in that case?
WR
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hadn’t read Tursten in a while coz this next book in the series wasn’t available in my library. Found myself enjoying this book quite a bit, though I couldn’t quite figure out the link between the two sub plots in the book, minus the acknowledgement at the end.
Deborah Klein
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This book made so little impression on me that I was a third of the way thru it before I realized I had read it before. It all sounded a little familiar... Standard police procedural - this time the twist is child sex trafficking. The secondary plot hardly signified.
Lynn
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Several interesting crimes investigated simultaneously with some new personnel and plenty of changes in Irene's life. It's always good to check in with her team in Sweden.
Thomas Brazeil
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An other homerun!

Helene Tursten created an interesting series. The characters are well developed and tend to draw you into trying to solve the cases.
June
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-mysteries
good mystery. not too violent
pamela claffy
2 cases going at once. Cold case and the regular squad. Just a story no drama.
Graeme Roberts
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding.
Hans
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This eighth entry in the Inspector Irene Huss series has a strong set-up, but doesn't have a strong finish. Helene Tursten gives us two murders, a mummified body cold case, and a gang war on top of a change in the department leadership and significant changes for Irene's family. (view spoiler) ...more
Cathy Cole
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
It's always a pleasure to catch up with Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Not only are there fascinating cases to solve, but Huss has such an interesting personal life. In The Treacherous Net we get to see her twin daughters leaving the nest and the problems her aging mother is beginning to have. It's amazing how anyone can do a job as well as Irene when you consider just how busy she is, and that's part of her charm for me-- watching how she manages to take care of everything.

As nice
« previous 1 3 next »

• Open Grave
  • Utan eko (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #6)
  • The Man in the Window
  • Never End (Inspector Winter, #4)
  • Hour of the Wolf (Inspector Van Veeteren #7)
  • Den döende detektiven
  • A Darker Shade of Sweden: Original Stories by Sweden's Greatest Crime Writers
  • Menneskets natur (Odd Singsaker, #3)
  • Hostage (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #4)
  • Missing in Malmö (Inspector Anita Sundström #3)
  • Cold Comfort (Officer Gunnhilder #2)
  • The Land of Dreams (Minnesota Trilogy #1)
Helene Tursten (born in Gothenburg in 1954) is a Swedish writer of crime fiction. The main character in her stories is Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Before becoming an author, Tursten worked as a nurse and then a dentist, but was forced to leave due to illness. During her illness she worked as a translator of medical articles.

Series:
* Irene Huss

Inspector Huss (10 books)
  • Detective Inspector Huss (Inspector Huss #1)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • The Fire Dance (Inspector Huss #6)
  • The Beige Man (Inspector Huss #7)
  • Den som vakar i mörkret (Inspector Huss #9)
  • I skydd av skuggorna (Irene Huss #10)