Start by marking “Life Is Good: The Book” as Want to Read:
Life Is Good: The Book

Life Is Good: The Book

From Life is Good founders and brothers Bert and John Jacobs, this inspiring book of wisdom celebrates the power of optimism: the driving force behind their beloved, socially conscious clothing and lifestyle brand, now worth more than $100 million.

Following the chronology of their personal and professional journeys, Bert and John share their unique ride—from their scrappy
Published September 1st 2015 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about Life Is Good, please sign up.
Wendy Yes, it's a very good book! I read one chapter each morning and it really helped set my intention for the day. Made me wish I personally knew these gu…moreYes, it's a very good book! I read one chapter each morning and it really helped set my intention for the day. Made me wish I personally knew these guys! :)(less)

Start your review of Life Is Good: The Book
Dorota
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was just an adorable, positive and optimistic reading experience. A little bit of a biography, a little bit of a feel good book. Not life changing maybe, but reinforcing the power of positive thinking for sure.

I love Life is Good products, I love their story and their message. I think it's awesome that they created their business, which is thriving now, from scratch, and I admire how they "do what they love and love what they do".
And I wish them all the best!

My favorite things in the book:
Agnė
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Life Is Good: The Book is the ultimate celebration of optimism. It's lighthearted, insightful, wise, relatable, and extremely uplifting. Oh, and very well-designed :)

This is one of my favorite bits of wisdom from Life Is Good: The Book, and it reflects the book's vibe (i.e., playful and wise) perfectly:
FIVE LESSONS IN AUTHENTICITY WE CAN ALL LEARN FROM DOGS:
- If you want something, ask.
- Don't judge. Just love.
- If it looks fun, go for it.
- Squirrels are fast.
- Wag and the world wags with you
Teresa
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I saw an author event being hosted in the Frederick, MD library one evening by the Curious Iguana bookstore and decided to go. I didn't have any obligations that evening & didn't have to cook dinner for anyone. I'm so glad I did! This book is the true story based on the founders of "Life is Good" - Bert & John Jacobs - business plan celebrating the power of optimism. I have purchased a few of their products and have always considered myself to be a "glass half full" type of person. (Yes, I bough ...more
Chelsey
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was ..ugh... I couldn't give it the lowest rating, since I read it the same time as The Revenant, which there is nothing I could possibly hate more right now [Other than Twilight and all things affiliated, but it is REALLY REALLY CLOSE OK]

Life is Good just felt like reading about a really proud school aged child tooting his own horn about his achievements. This doesn't feel like a self help book more than a biography, maybe a business profile book, but I don't understand how anyone thinks thi
Joseph Roach
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Everyone needs to read this book. I don't often say those words, but I can see no harm in reading a book that shows us how wonderful this life really is, regardless of circumstances or social status.

Highly recommend this book as a reminder that humanity is good DESPITE what the media shoves in our faces.

Life is Good!
Edward Cheer
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
If I could have retitled this book, I would've called it "Citation Needed".

Life is Good is a massive pandering novel that glorifies how great the Life Is Good organization is and how much Bert and John Jacobs have worked to make their extraordinary T-shirt company what it is, and have graciously bestowed us with their knowledge of optimism.

I think optimism and pessimism, with either extreme, are terrible ways to live your life. It's unhealthy to be pessimistic because it can often keep you from
Joe
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The mission of Life is Good is to spread the power of optimism."

If that sounds right up your alley, you're probably going to enjoy this book. Written in a light conversational style, the Jacobs brothers cover their lean early years hawking shirts out of a beat up minivan, their family story, the birth and growth of the Life is Good brand, and their commitment to spreading optimism through their life's work.

This is not a heavy self-help book but rather the musings of a couple of upbeat and fun
Shawn
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a Christmas gift a little over a year ago. My Mum wrote on the inside cover "Merry Christmas! Thought you might enjoy this!" Boy was she right. I've always been a huge fan of the Life is Good brand. I remember first finding their products in a little surf shop on Hilton Head Island. I loved the concept and they had some great golf themed shirts. For me, this book was the perfect blend of corporate biography with a dash of self help thrown in. Outside of the Introduction/P ...more
sarah
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I grew up wearing Life is Good clothing everyday. I loved getting to hear Bert and John’s story of how they made their dreams come true. Unfortunately, this book became very preachy. It’s also a kind of “self-help” book. They give advice on how to make sure your “life is good”. Granted, some of the advice was good, but at other times it was very generic and bland. They have a really fascinating story, so I would recommend picking this up and just skimming the advice parts! Bonus: the pictures we ...more
Angie
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting inside look at the creators of the LIFE IS GOOD brand. This is a good blend of anecdotes, their childhood, and the history and driving forces of their business. This would be a great book to buy for a new graduate. It is filled with optimism, positivity, and creative outlooks on life and business.
Elisa
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All business owners, employees and parents should read this. What a heartwarming positive optimistic happy tale. I want my children to remember me like Joan is recalled. This book has such heart and so much soul. I’m glad I picked it up and will recommend it to others who seem to be searching for that certain meaning in their lives.
Drew
Nov 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, one of the most uplifting books I have ever read. Already started using this book to help spread positivity at work and home. The other night, I applied Joan’s idea, and said to my mom, “Tell me something good that happened today.” A few minutes later, we were both in a great mood, laughing together. Incredibly inspiring, and this book makes me want to make a difference with the power of optimism.
Casey
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick easy read full of optimism and great life is good art. If I lived in MA I would love to work for this company. Thanks for the Christmas gift Jim!
Jessica
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am always impressed when I read about entrepreneurs, risking it all on an idea or project they love. But this book for more about just the story of Bert and John creating Life is good. This book is a wonderful discussion on the important things in life and how to apply them on a daily basis. I particularly enjoyed the recommended songs in each section - made for a lovely playlist while reading!! The LIG music festivals are what drew me to the company so I was so excited it as a part of each ch ...more
S
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've always liked this company's products and when I saw this book, I had to give it a try. When I picked it up, I was surprised at its weight for 272 pages. They used some good quality paper. Anyway, it was a fun, quick read about the life of the founders and how Life Is Good came into being. Woven into their story are artwork, photos, letters from customers, recommended playlists and movies, and their beliefs on how to live a happy life. Their writing didn't feel preachy or sugarcoated, so I'v ...more
Tressie Landreth
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I would have never purchased this book by itself but it was offered from Life Is Good with a shirt for a total price of $25 for the shirt and the book. I love to read, so why not? I am so happy that I got this book! I recommend it to anyone and everyone. It’s not just the story of how LIG started, but it is the foundation of the company and a great lesson on how to live and be able to truly say, “Life Is Good.”
Jaime L.
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book is simple, elegant, and inspiring. it's an easy, quick, enjoyable read that gives both an entertaining tale of how Life is Good came to be and thrives today, as well as practical ideas for how to approach our own lives with a little more optimism and make our own life more "good". Definitely something i see myself referring back to and rereading in time ...more
Lynne Griffin
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
As inspirational a story, as is the mission of the company. Life is Good is a wonderful and fun read.
Brownd2
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
the ability to choose optimism is hard to live by though this book does a good job trying to make that argument
Cb60089
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very positive book. Love the products they make. The book impressed me with how the owners are such kind positive people. This book will brighten your mood.
Stephanie Marie
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyone should read this book. Much needed dose of optimism and a reminder of the important things in life.
Heather
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a FANTASTIC book!!! It's essentially a business history and plan for the clothing company 'Life is Good,' but its such a positive, socially-minded organization that I think everyone would benefit from reading their philosophy. I like their t-shirts, but loved learning their story and was inspired by their words. Essentially it's the power of optimism. We can choose to be happy and I loved the ten "superpowers" they suggest for what makes life good. ;)

Superpowers:
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
Nicole Castelblanco
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Life is Good: The Book written by Bert and John Jacobs, the authors use a powerful theme that influences their point of view and format. The Jacobs brothers embrace a simple message to drive their business: Life is Good. Their goal is to spread the power of optimism, which is the reason that I wanted to read it. This book was perfect for the beginning of the school year, because it reminds me of the importance of optimistic mindset. The school year can be stressful, and it is easy to complain ...more
Richard Propes
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Life is Good: The Book" is a light, fun read by the founders of the Life is Good Company, Bert and John Jacobs.

Now then, true confession. Prior to reading this book, I'd never heard of the Life is Good Company. Weird, eh?

It's particularly weird considering how much of my activism is wrapped around optimism, hope, and healing. However, I saw the book on the shelf at the library and thought it looked like a pleasant read.

I was right.

"Life is Good" is not really a look at the company itself. Wh
Bookworm
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Definitely not what I thought it was going to be. I'm somewhat familiar with the "Life Is Good" brand, having seeing their products somewhere and once visiting their Boston store. Never purchased anything from them but enjoy seeing their stuff and so it seemed like a good way to support a brand that was so positive and upbeat.

Sadly it was not what I thought it was going to be. I had hoped for a story and history behind the brand. And while yes, there is certainly that I also felt it was trying
Chris Branch
Sep 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I’m rounding up to four stars on this one just for the overwhelmingly clear good intentions that shine through on every page. It’s John and Bert Jacobs’ memoir of how they started the Life Is Good business, and it’s also a kind of a self-help book. I like the first aspect better than the second, but I have to admit that if you’re looking for self help, you could certainly do worse than this elegant presentation of the philosophy of optimism and the “superpowers” that it brings. The writing is a ...more
Lili Kim
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Life is good.

Notable lines:

“It’s easier to knock something down than it is to build it up. But remember: the people who knock everything down never build anything.”

“We also see that although we can’t change the past, we can decide on the focal points that will help us grow stronger. How we choose to frame a memory often determines the value and impact of that memory on our lives. We can choose frames that DIScourage or we can choose frames that ENcourage. The choice is ours.”

“Before you say you
E. Edwards
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of "Life is Good" gosh for a long, long time. I remember the first time I walked into a store that sold it ... the employee gave me a sticker just for wearing the shirt. The shirts and stickers always make me smile. I have had ones that were perfect when we did camp in a tent, when we moved up to a Roadtrek (van) and then now we have a Casita (pull behind trailer from Texas). I had a Jeep tire cover when I owed a Jeep ...he was way cool ... dude with a beard and American flag hea ...more
TurtleLiving
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2019read
This was a very disappointing book. I thought I would be getting the history of a company or the auto-biography of its founders, but instead I got a book full of cliches. The fact that there are so many negative reviews shows that the book failed in its mission of spreading Joy! Humor! Fun! Optimism! So much of what is in this book is completely trite. The authors make tons of assertions based on a sprinkling of half a dozen citations (back of book) for their numerous claims. I'm embarrassed for ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Red Roulette: An Insider's Story of Wealth, Power, Corruption and Vengeance in Today's China
  • The Marriage Bureau for Rich People
  • Sanctuary (Guardian, #3)
  • Know Yourself, Know Your Money: Discover WHY you handle money the way you do, and WHAT to do about it!
  • Being Me with OCD: How I Learned to Obsess Less and Live My Life
  • Brain Training with the Buddha: A Modern Path to Insight Based on the Ancient Foundations of Mindfulness
  • Chasing Daylight: How My Forthcoming Death Transformed by Life
  • The Templars: History & Myth
  • Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck
  • Ain't Burned All the Bright
  • Rafa
  • The Friendship List
  • God, No! Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales
  • Work It: Secrets for Success from the Boldest Women in Business
  • Hush-Hush (Stone Barrington #56)
  • The Saboteurs (Isaac Bell, #12)
  • American Marxism
  • The High 5 Habit: Take Control of Your Life with One Simple Habit
In 1989, brothers Bert and John Jacobs designed their first T-shirts. They began selling their designs in the streets of Boston and out of an old van at colleges and street fairs. Today, the company offers more than 900 different items in 14 categories, and products are sold in approximately 4,500 retail stores in the U.S., and in 30 countries worldwide.