Start by marking “Flinch: Book One” as Want to Read:
Flinch: Book One

Flinch: Book One

(Flinch #1)

It's the little things in life that matter most: tiny leak in the fuel line; the faint smell of decay that won't wash off; the way a knife blade catches the light. These are the things that stick with us, no matter how much we want to forget— the things that make us flinch. No one is more familiar with this unnerving territory than the twisted souls whose hallucinatory wor ...more
Published December 15th 2015 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Flinch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flinch

Start your review of Flinch: Book One
Sooraya Evans
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
A mixed bag with mostly lame entries. Issue 3 stood out among the rest. I particularly loved ‘Satanic’ and ‘A Walk in The Park’ (both from issue 3). The former was creepy and funny at the same time (that punchline was hilarious). The latter had an awesome twist. I didn’t see that coming.
Amanja
Oct 30, 2019 rated it did not like it

Flinch is a horror anthology graphic novel by various authors and artists. When I picked it up I thought it would be about 4 stories, turns out it's dozens, but I made it exactly 4 before deciding to not finish this book. With any anthology you're going to have some that you just don't like as much as others but I feel that if i really dislike the first 4 it's not looking good for the rest of them. Here is a brief rundown of the ones I did read:

Rocket Man
Story, Richard Bruning
Dimitris
Jul 02, 2019 rated it did not like it

Of course bought it for Azzarello and being open minded about a fucking horror anthology, but yeah, Azzarello's story and maybe one more story from someone else were good. The rest wasn't even decent. Stories throughout the book that were terrible. Some weren't even horror-like. Some weren't even stories. The artwork on half of these stories was terrible too.

So... yay for the awesome cover and making me give money on something that's bad.

NOT Recommended!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Meh. This started off as a mixed bag and gradually got less and less interesting.
Devon Munn

While alot of the stories were ok there were some stories that were pretty creepy (one involving a boy with night terrors and some others i can't remember at tge moment) and there were some funny moments too.
Valéria.
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This was.. interesting. I can't even choose which one of those short stories was the best and which one was the worst. Okay, maybe I do not want to see Greg Rucka's Guts ever again. And I am not going to spend my time on longer review, because it is not worth it. Let's say I kind of regret now I bought it.
Quentin Wallace
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of the old EC horror anthology comics, so I miss this type of comic in the marketplace.

While the stories were hit and miss, I thought there was much more good than bad. Some of the top creators in comics contributed to this anthology. The stories sometime overreach and try to accomplish more than they need to, but at least there's some ambition there.

I'm probably biased because of my love of horror comics, but overall I really enjoyed this one.
Ignacio Senao f
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
No es el clásico cómic de terror de los 80. Historias muy cortas y la mayoría modernas.
Paulo Vinicius Figueiredo dos Santos
Flinch é uma obra muito complicada para se comentar a respeito. Claramente o objetivo dela era tentar replicar parte do legado deixado por revistas clássicas de terror como a Creepy e a Eerie. Foram lugares onde gênios como Richard Corben fizeram fama. O problema é que mesmo se tratando de um espaço como o selo Vertigo, da DC, há muitos complicadores para dar liberdade aos escritores. O resultado é uma revista caleidoscópica por demais com apenas algumas histórias mais memoráveis. E a maior part ...more
Dan
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Very short stories that were too short to really develop into anything worth reading.
47Time
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-fiction
Where's the horror here anyway? The covers are cool, but entirely unrelated to anything in the stories. I was quite worried when I chose the book that it would be filled with blood and guts. Instead I got some comedy, some love triangles, some mild scares, but nothing riveting. I can't tell what they were thinking when they created this pile of short, unimpressive fiction. There are some gems in here, but they barely make it worthwhile to go through everything. If curiosity still gets you to pic ...more
Cale
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mean-spirited. That's the best term for this anthology series. Yes, horror comics are usually violent and feature lots of death, but they also usually serve as morality tales. Not so much, here. Random people are dying for no good reason in many cases, and very rarely do the stories make the journeys worthwhile. From a man trying to fulfill his dream of flying to a child whose anxiety about witches makes him susceptible, there are a lot of people who don't seem to deserve the ends they get here. ...more
Danijel
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Advertized as legendary horror anthology that will get under your skin, and make us flinch with all those twisted stories from greatest comic authors. Ennis, Willingham, Azzarello, Risso, Corben, Sienkiewicz, those names really catch the eye. Thruth is that I don't like the short form much. Half of the stories are mediocre at the best... But he covers are really amazing - I must give them that!

Stories that really stand out are Risso's and Azzarello's "Food chain", Bruce Jones's "Playing dead", John Kuramoto's "The lotus shoes", and few others"The"Playing"Food
Erika Neves
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, hq
Coletânea de histórias de terror, desenhadas e roteirizadas por grandes artistas como Brian Azzarello, Kent Williams, Bill Willingham, Garth Ennis entre outros.
O ruim de todo material de coletâneas é a irregularidade e esse quadrinho não foge a regra. Temos aqui, histórias espetaculares, boas, medianas e outras simplesmente péssimas. Sendo que algumas são tão ruins que é até difícil de terminar de ler.
Outro problema é que são extremamente curtas e quando vc vai entrando no clima da h
Joe
Jan 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
This ones hard to rate as it is such a mixed bag but over all this was a real stinker and chore to get through. To be fair i got this souley on Garth Ennis being one of the writers and his story Satanic is easily one of the best in this book.The stories have no unifying theme whatsoever. I mean they are all dark stories to some extent but some seem to be rooted in spazztic dark humor while others clumsily try to fit a agenda or moral in their subtext making them quite unejoyable. It just comes o ...more
Paul Mirek
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The self-conscious grit-lit meets magical realism of late-90s/early-oughts Vertigo is on full display in this collection, which ranges from nasty little crime tales to cartoonish dark comedy to full-blown psychedelic cosmic horror. The big names here (Azzarello, Rucka, Ennis, etc.) are all working in their preferred veins, making this well worth a look for completists as well as anyone in the mood for a little spookiness.
Lauri
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Peotäis kahe-kolmeleheküljelisi horrornovelle. Enamik paraku olid sellised, et meelde ei jäänud midagi, ja mingit teravat puänti kuskil ka väga meelde ei jäänud. Paar tükki ehk olid veidi keskmisest meeldejäävamad.
Tasha-Lynn
Mediocre. Some of the stories I really liked. Some were terrible.
Tanvir Muntasim
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
24 short stories, mostly average with only a few standouts.
Daeron
Nov 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
There was really only a couple of stories I thought were okay here, the rest I felt were just plain boring. I can't bring myself to give it any more than 1 star.
jude_reads_books
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This graphic novel was so creepy, I’m not sure how I feel about it, it was a bit weird even for me. I did love the titanic story though
Will Cooper
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
There are a few good entries in this average horror anthology, but I'm a sucker for a horror anthology, so you know I'm gonna read it!
Lora
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
The scariest things in this graphic novel anthology are the comic book covers. And where were the stories to go with these frightening covers? Not in the book.
Resi
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Did not actually read this in GN form. Rather, had issues #1-16 in my collection and couldn’t let them sit much longer. The entire series, as a bit of a late 90s-early 00’s throwback, is about as twisted and weird as the current Creepy issues. Overall enjoyable and tied a mental loose end of “What if my favorite DC Vertigo writers were told to work on a Precode horror magazine?” I think perhaps if they had lost their current jobs and wanted it more like the original writers of EC comics, we migh ...more
Terry
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-journal
A nice neighborhood falls victim to a gang of overmedicated senior citizens. A zombie seeks therapy for her anger issues. A man goes to a monster rental company. These are some of the hooks in this collection of the first eight issues of Vertigo’s early 2000s horror anthology. Vertigo has long been DC’s mature imprint, and this gory graphic novel reads like TV’s Tales from the Crypt kicked up a notch—there’s rampant nudity, explicit violence, and a diabolical Titanic tale filmmaker James Cameron ...more
Ashley
2.5*. Decent anthology though I don't know if I'd classify any of the stories as horror. The cover is creepier than any of the contents. The story Rocket Man seemed very familiar to me. I think Bradbury had a not entirely dissimilar story of a man building a rocket ship. Though different ending if I remember correctly. The second story Nice Neighborhood was definitely my favourite of the collection about overdrugged seniors forming gangs and terrorising young women. Wolf Girl Eats was interestin ...more
Molly
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
A pretty decent anthology - nothing amazing. The only real standouts were the Greg Rucka and Bob Fingerman stories. I can't remember seeing much of Fingerman's stuff outside of his standalone work, so that was a nice change of pace - and his story was clever.
Michael
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
via NYPL - A mixed bag. There's some good stuff here and plenty of truly great artwork, but the overall package isn't terribly memorable.
Ray
Sep 16, 2016 added it
2.5 stars... there were only a handful of stories I really really liked
Stephen
Feb 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written fo