Start by marking “The Kitchen” as Want to Read:
The Kitchen

The Kitchen

(The Kitchen #1-8)

New York City, late 1970s. Times Square is a haven for sex and drugs. The city teeters on the verge of bankruptcy, while blackouts can strike at any moment. This is the world of THE KITCHEN.

The Irish gangs of Hell's Kitchen rule the neighborhood, bringing terror to the streets and doing the dirty work for the Italian Mafia. Jimmy Brennan and his crew were the hardest bast
Published December 1st 2015 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about The Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kitchen

Start your review of The Kitchen
Anne
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anne by: Danielle Long
I'm not sure how many of you abuse use your library like I do, but I'm in mine quite a bit. Enough that some of my librarians feel comfortable checking books out to me.
Books that I didn't actually walk up to the desk to get.
Yeah.
Oh, hey! I just finished this one! You'll love it! Here ya go.
BEEP. <---that was the sound of this graphic novel going on my card
Thanks, Danielle!
*waves*

description

I hate to admit it, but she was right. I did end up enjoying The Kitchen.
It's a story about 3 ladies who take ove
Swaroop
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
How long can you live on someone else's name?

Set in the 1970s New York, The Kitchen is the story of the wives of three gangsters. The wives take over the Irish mob and, as it turns out, they do very well at it!

A well-illustrated and interesting graphic novel.
Carmen
It was never going to be a temporary thing. They were never going back to their normal lives.

This isn't really my thing. You know, the mob. Gangs. Murdering people and dismembering them and throwing them in the river. I'm not really into this scene. Mob movies and mob books bore me.

I'm not buying into this brand of feminism, it's kind of pissing me off. For one thing, this book was written by a man. OK. So keep that in mind. Two, ... it promotes the idea that killing others and being able to ena
Sam Quixote
Hell’s Kitchen, the 1970s: Irish and Italian mobsters, dirty streets, crime, money, power (you can practically hear Gimme Shelter fading in)… now imagine the mobsters have vaginas! Whaaaaaaaaaa… Mind. Blown.

Yup, The Kitchen (and its tagline - A Woman’s Work Is Never Done - both flippin’ the script on patriarchy!) is all about lady gangsters. And that’s the whole concept. Besides that it’s a competent, if generic, mob story with little in the way of originality going for it.

Our trio start out a
Chad
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. It could easily have been storyboards for Scorsese's next movie. Set in 1970's era Hell's Kitchen, back when New York was still dirty and crime-ridden. Three wives are left to their own devices when their connected husbands are sent to the pokey. They decide to continue the family protection racket and discover they are quite good at it. When their husbands get out of prison the last thing they want to do is go back to being housewives. ...more
Amanja
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I will start by saying that I have not seen the movie adaptation of The Kitchen. I've heard it's mediocre at best. Which is disappointing because I really enjoyed the book. But since I haven't seen the movie please don't ask me to compare them or answer any questions about it!

The Kitchen is a classic mobster story. It follows all of the standard tropes, pacing, and story structure. It just happens to follow three women running the show instead of three men.

These three women are married to three
James DeSantis
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the story about three wives who take over for their mobster boyfriends. Funny enough there's a movie out now called "Widows" that has a similar idea but more about robbing banks. This is basically Irish/Italian mobster storylines.

So when these wives all team up they begin to take over their husbands business. Collecting, putting the fear in advisories, and building a empire. However, the deeper they get into the mob life the worse it gets. They drift apart, some becoming more evil than
Rod Brown
I was unaware of this graphic novel until I saw the trailer for the new movie. The film doesn't look worth a trip to the theaters, but I'll probably check it out when its available on streaming or DVD. In the meantime, I thought I'd try the book.

It's a bit of a choppy and barely sketched out mess really, the sort of thing a movie producer might option solely for the concept and then have the screenwriter totally revamp. I see on IMDB that most of the main characters' names were changed, for inst
Dave
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's definitely the Seventies, all style and flash, and Charlie's Angels are running a crew out of Hell's Kitchen. But, those Angels were never this hard and tough and ruthless. It's a twisted Mafia story with three ladies taking over their husbands' loan sharing and protection rackets. Tough, nasty, and vicious. ...more
AleJandra
5 STARS

"I did what needed to be done. They're gonna remember my name after I die. Not my dad's, not Johnny's or Jimmy's. MINE.
I made my mark on, the fuckin' world."

description

Reseña pendiente...
47Time
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The tension of the story seems legit. The main characters try to continue business as usual for their incarcerated husbands' turf in Hell's Kitchen, but solving each problem brings a greater obstacle. You just know something is going to blow up in their face eventually, but the trip is still entertaining. Spoiler: pretty much everybody dies at the end. It's beautiful how the author didn't leave any loose threads, so there likely won't be a sequel.

With her gangster husband behind bars, Kath gets
Bonnie G.
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had no idea the new trailer wirh Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish and Elizabeth Moss was based on a Vertigo miniseries!

It’s a dark, windy mafia story with different stakes and a 70s Hell Kitchen setting. The art and plot pints are pretty amazing and it’s a fun quick read that is kinda hellish in its violence and emotional destruction.
Zedsdead
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Rosie the Riveter retold as Rosie the Mobster.

When three Hell's Kitchen gangsters go to prison, their wives take over their collection racket. Initially exhilarating, the life soon becomes complicated, bleak, and treacherous. Do they return to the kitchen when their husbands are released? Or should they fight to hang on to the relatively rewarding lives they've carved out for themselves?

It's a great story and Masters pulls no punches. The women adopt a necessarily violent lifestyle and each resp
Dakota Morgan
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Kitchen is a one-sentence idea stretched into a gloomy, grisly crime thriller. A trio of Irish mobsters are packed off to prison, so their wives take over the collections racket. Affairs escalate until the women are powerful mobsters in their own right. Cue endless scenes of bitching and backstabbing.

It's not uninteresting, it's just predictable. I suppose The Kitchen earns some strange points for being relentlessly bleak - there's no happy ending here, not even close. Crime does not pay, ki
Logan
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. So the premise, is pretty good, mafia men are in jail, and their wives, take over. Sounds like a female progressive, Sopranos. Well its good premise, but this book falls short of that. The story does have good moments, but the dialogue and story feels more like desperate housewives then Sopranos. One pro is the artwork, I really enjoyed it, looked a lot like a tell tale game series. But ya in the ends this an okay read, it fell short when reaching for a gold and got a bronze.
Albert
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
With the movie coming out soon, I thought we could take a look back at one of the better comic books to come out through DC's Vertigo line. The Kitchen by Ollie Masters. It was first published back in 2014 and has always had something of a cult following. It is a violent crime drama about what happens when mobsters go to jail and how one group of wives decides to carry on.

"...Kath, with what I do, people gotta see you as someone not to fuck with. You gotta be untouchable. So if someone disrespec
Ariadna
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5

Wow this was brutal... i don’t think this was for me. I didn’t enjoy this a ton. It’s not the book’s fault and it’s by no means bad, but it was a little confusing in the beginning because you’re suddenly thrown into this story and since this is just one volume, it kind of takes you about half of it to get to know who’s who ( there’s too many names to keep track of). Also, the jumps from one scene to the next felt quite sudden for me and it took me out of the story because each time i’d be con
Gina
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel follows 3 mob wives in 1970's Hell's Kitchen, NY whose husbands are sent to prison. They decide to take over their husbands' protection racket, first using their husbands' violent reputations to collect but quickly realizing they have to build their own.
There's a lot to unpack in here given the time period, feminism, and female rage. The subtle allegory on top of violent imagery is well done. The ending goes somewhere I didn't expect at all, and I'm still not sure how I feel
Jamie-Lee
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summer Reading Challenge 16/27
The book is better - “Read a book being adapted for TV or film this year”

Being a good little book nerd, I saw the movie poster for this film and immediately wanted to know if it was a book first! Happy days, it was. Graphic novels are still a relatively new genre for me but I was excited to see that The Kitchen was adapted from one. It was a great, quick read with great art and a very interesting, albeit, dark story. It reminds me of a darker version of the TV show
Hannah Garden
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, may-2020
Uuuhhhmmmm I was not really a good audience for this book.
Mia Vicino
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
men stop writing about women’s issues challenge
Melissa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
What happens when a group of gangsters gets sent upriver, and their wives decide to take over the business to earn a living in their absence, only to realize they like being in control and aren’t ever going back.

Just as gritty as the movie that would come later, more so actually. I enjoyed this violent little gangster tale.

*Side Note: Loved the casting in the movie, preferred this ending for a certain character.
Mark
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
When three Irish mobsters from Hell's Kitchen are sent to prison, their wives take over the family business without too much in the way of moral squeamishness.
I found the characters somewhat one dimensional in the way that they fell right into murder and mayhem. True, there was a little inner conflict in the beginning, but would these three women take on this amoral lifestyle so quickly?
Claire
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a comic that I've been looking forward to reading for months. Overall I'm not disappointed, but I'm only giving it four instead of five stars because the ending was predictable. Yawwwwwn. ...more
Katherine
I have really mixed feelings about this story. On one hand, the artwork, both covers and interior, is so good: atmospheric, moody, and sickly colored, like the story itself. But there is so much violence, and it is so intense throughout, that the book is hard to read. Plot-wise, I want to give the main characters a fair shake (because the world is really aligned against them at the beginning), but their reactions to everything are so extreme, and in a few cases, utterly without context. I know t ...more
Nate
Aug 17, 2019 added it
The Kitchen is a great looking book. Ming Doyle and Jordie Bellaire’s art gives the story a wonderfully grimy feel, perfect for the time period and subject matter. Becky Cloonan’s stylish covers are the icing on the cake. There’s visual flair on every page.

As for the story, it’s just okay. Three wives of Irish mobsters in 1970’s New York take over the operation after their husbands get thrown in jail. They develop a taste for cutting deals and intimidation as they rise through the ranks. After s
Jay
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid bit of hard-boiled nastiness about three women taking over their husbands' criminal empire, set in Seventies Hell's Kitchen. Brutal, violent, and very well written and illustrated. The characters are compelling, the dialogue crisp, and the story is fast-paced and well plotted. If you've got a strong stomach and a nasty streak, this is the graphic novel for you. ...more
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who knows The Godfather should have been about women
(3.5) When Kath, Raven and Angie's husbands are sent to jail, the three women take it upon themselves to take over their business, owning all the violence and danger that comes with it. And if the rest of the city, the rival gangs, and their own husbands can't accept that, they'll all have to find out just how ruthless the new planner, dealmaker, and hitter can be.

I really enjoyed this. Three women figuring out their strengths and goals in life, combined with the things I loved about The Godfath
Katie
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, bcc-2016
Most of these stars are coming from my love of any media set in the 1970s. I'm not sure why that has become my favorite decade of American history to explore, but I find it absolutely fascinating — and a story about three housewives-turned-gangsters in Hell's Kitchen in the 70s is exactly the story I want to read. It was a quick read without too much depth and a fairly hasty resolution, but worth the read if only for the gorgeously drawn Farrah hair and bell bottoms. ...more
Jes
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really interesting character study, but I think I expected it to be more dense? I feel like it would have benefited from having a couple more issues. The covers, though. Becky Cloonan is the best.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Stumptown, Vol. 1: The Case of the Girl Who Took Her Shampoo (But Left her Mini)
  • Stumptown, Vol. 3: The Case of the King of Clubs