Start by marking “Gotham Academy, Volume 2: Calamity” as Want to Read:
Gotham Academy, Volume 2: Calamity

Gotham Academy, Volume 2: Calamity

(Gotham Academy #2)

Are these Gotham's newest heroes...or villains? The future is here at Gotham Academy.

Gotham Academy is haunted!

At the beginning of the term, Olive Silverlock returned to Gotham Academy a shadow of her former self. But thanks to her new friendships and their Detective Club sleuthing, Olive was finally starting to feel whole again.

Then, abruptly, Olive’s mother died—or, she
Published March 16th 2016 by DC Comics

Start your review of Gotham Academy, Volume 2: Calamity
Jayson
(B) 75% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: A Scooby Snack multipack, it's guest and gimmick prone: not so tight, it’s still alright, but can’t subsist on cute alone.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
This is a perfect graphic novel for children or YA, and also for grown-ups like me of course. I think one of the reasons I enjoy this series is because Map's reminds me of Jubilation Lee, whom I adore. And, this graphic novel has a lot of Maps in it. Don't take me wrong. I like Olive also, and she has an important part in this volume also with trying to come to terms with her mother's death.

But, it's Map's adventure with Damian Wayne and Robin (well a Robin since it's apparently a group of Robin
Chad
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This volume was much better than the first collection. Karl Kershel's art is fantastic. It has a real animation vibe to it. The stories have gotten better to, except for the issue with Damian Wayne in it. That issue felt shoehorned in. The book is basically Scooby Doo set in Gotham. I like that they are finally adding some subplots and backstories, such as Calamity.

Received an advance copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kristel
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
DAMIAN AND MAPS ARE MY FAVOURITES EVER
Sesana
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
(Received from Netgalley for review.)

This is quite an improvement over the first volume. The book seems to have hit its stride, and I really enjoyed reading it. Olive's mystery is, I think, more or less resolved, and it unfolds in a way that makes a certain amount of sense, by Gotham standards. It actually ended up being a little more interesting than I had expected. The group of main characters owes a bit to the Scoobies, which is not a bad thing in my eyes. I'm glad this book is still going, b
Kaitlin
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a story I read as part of the #GettingGraphic readalong I am hosting today and I really enjoyed this second volume. What I love about this is the Batman setting and the amazing colour tones and artwork. The story is always engaging and fun, but the artwork always sells me on this series :)

Overall I think that this did develop the plot of Olive and Maps (Maps is by far the cutest and my most favourite of the characters) as we see them following the strings of a mystery to discover who/wh
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to see Olive, Maps, and the others again. Also nice to Damian Wayne and Red Robin. Glad to learn more about the Silverlocks and their connection with Calamity.

Can't wait to read the next Gotham Academy comic!!!
Jes Reads
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Is Maps my spirit animal? The answer is yes.
Andrea Way
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars - This was okay but I am not sure that I wish to continue on with the series. They are okay but not holding my full attention.
Tokio Myers
Maria Kramer
Did anyone else feel like parts of this book were just...missing? Scenes just crashed up against each other with no transition. In addition to the art taking a turn for the muddy, it made things hard to follow.

Similar Titles:
Batgirl: The Family Business
Alexa
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this second volume, even though it didn't feel quite as cohesive as the first one did. It was still really great to be reunited with the gang, and I have a soft spot for SOMEONE who makes an appearance ;)
Bee
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ooo, the plot thickens! I didn't enjoy this one as much as book one, but it was nice to learn a smidgen more about Tristan and I'm so curious about this whole Calamity thing, I can't wait for the Detective Club to work it all out!
Richard Cardenas
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS!

Not as good as the first but I liked that we got to know a lot more about Olive's mom and more about Olive herself. Looking forward to Vol. 3 :)
Julia
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun second volume of the series. More supernatural creatures, including a werewolf and a half bat half boy (not to be confused with Batman). I enjoy reading this series and plan on continuing it.
Albert
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gotham Academy Vol 2: Calamity by Becky Cloonan and Brendan Fletcher picks up at issue #7 of the series and takes us through issue #12 as it reveals more and more of Olive's past as we peak into the going ons at Gotham's prestigious prep school.

Olive Silverlock and her crew of intrepid teenage investigators of mysteries both normal and paranormal are faced this time around with werewolves and were-bats and ghosts. But also with appearances by the likes of Dr. Langstrom The Man-Bat, The Riddler,
Bookishrealm
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Update!! Full Review: http://www.bookishrealmreviews.com/20...

This volume was even better than the first volume! I absolutely love where the plot is going and the character development. I actually see myself buying the single issues of this series now instead of waiting for the trade paperbacks. I may even do a review on the first two volumes so be sure to stay tuned in.
Sheida
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was super disappointed, this was one of the series I was most impressed with initially but everything, the story, the graphics, the page design, it all seemed a bit all over the place in this volume.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I liked all the artists in this volume, but holy moly there were huge jumps and holes in the storytelling.
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
Gotham Academy is a fun mash up of Scooby Doo meets the gothic, gloomy Gotham City. While I didn't like this volume as much as I did the first, mainly because it did not flow very well and felt choppy as there were no logical transitions between the scenes. Maps takes up much of the first half of this volume. Her partnering up with the grumpy and wiser than his years Damian Wayne was fun to witness. I adore Maps, the energetic and adorable girl whose eyes light up when a new mystery surfaces, bu ...more
Zaz
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
The several issues seemed a bit far-fetched, using whatever possible to introduce characters or their background, for a result that I didn't really enjoy, I preferred the 1st volume. However, it was nice to learn new things about the kids, Mia was really enthusiastic and it was a pleasure to bump into the bat-family. The art was again pretty good, with great colors and backgrounds, but it was the only strong point of the volume.
Adriana
The tone of this is all over the place.
It starts out with some silly fun between Maps and Damian Wayne. Then goes super dark with Olive trying to find out the truth about her mom.
There are scenes where it seems like the writers weren't sure about the type of mood they wanted to set and it messes with the overall fell of the story.
It has some solid elements and moments, but it really feels like Cloonan is struggling a bit with finding the kind of book she wants Gotham Academy to be.
Anna
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars. To me this one felt a little more disjointed and had more fluffy filler than the first volume. I really liked learning more about Olive's family history and her Mom's mysterious past. I wasn't expecting the villain who was unmasked and liked the overall Scooby-Doo vibe. Interested to read what happens next.
Ariel Cummins
I like the concept, but the plots felt a little too Scooby Doo in this volume for me.
Annalise Nakoneczny
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
AAAAAAHHHHHHH. THIS ONE WAS EVEN BETTER THAN THE LAST ONE. AND SO PRETTY WOW
MerryMeerkat
Bhanuj
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
It took me almost a year to complete it. It was so dull and boring, that it took all the strength I had to finish this volume.
Ray
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Logan
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Okay! So this volume can be divided into two stories, the first issue is sort of a one shot, its a team up story between maps and Damien Robin, it was actually a really fun issue, I really enjoyed it! The other five issues deal with Olive's back story, and more about her mother! First off, Maps is awesome! Maps is basically the one character with positive, and wants to help out, she really is the stand out as everyone else is pretty much moody teenagers. What I do think Gotham Academy does well, ...more
Morgan
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

If I had a quill, I might use it to write "Maps + Grapple Gun 5eva".

But I don't.

So... I'll just say that the story with Damien Wayne and Maps was cute. It was very "Maps" in tone, but still cute. ;)

It didn't feel as coherent as the first volume, but there were little bits and pieces revealed to keep things interesting and I still really like the art styl
Madison Mega-Mara...: #35 Gotham Academy vol 2: Calamity by Becky Cloonan 1 1 Mar 18, 2016 08:15PM

• Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 1: Welcome Back
  • Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 2
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy
  • Batgirl, Volume 1: Batgirl of Burnside
  • Black Canary, Volume 1: Kicking and Screaming
  • Shadow of the Batgirl
  • Batgirl, Volume 2: Family Business
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 6: Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
  • Batman Tales: Once Upon a Crime
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 7: A Bird's-Eye View (Lumberjanes, Vol. 7)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 5: Band Together (Lumberjanes, Vol. 5)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 10: Parents' Day (Lumberjanes, Vol. 10)
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 8: Stone Cold (Lumberjanes, Vol. 8)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 9: On a Roll (Lumberjanes, Vol. 9)
  • Dear Justice League
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time (Lumberjanes, Vol. 4)
  • Adventures of the Super Sons Vol. 1: Action Detectives