Start by marking “Gotham Academy, Vol. 2: Calamity” as Want to Read:
Gotham Academy, Vol. 2: Calamity

Gotham Academy, Vol. 2: Calamity

(Gotham Academy #2)

Olive has received information that her mother might be alive—and now, she and her friends must investigate! Of course werewolves, ghosts, and new student Damian Wayne won’t make it easy! Collects issues #7-12 and the sneak peek story from DC SNEAK PEEK: GOTHAM ACADEMY #1.
Published March 16th 2016 by DC Comics

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
This is a perfect graphic novel for children or YA, and also for grown-ups like me of course. I think one of the reasons I enjoy this series is because Map's reminds me of Jubilation Lee, whom I adore. And, this graphic novel has a lot of Maps in it. Don't take me wrong. I like Olive also, and she has an important part in this volume also with trying to come to terms with her mother's death.

But, it's Map's adventure with Damian Wayne and Robin (well a Robin since it's apparently a group of Robin
Sesana
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
(Received from Netgalley for review.)

This is quite an improvement over the first volume. The book seems to have hit its stride, and I really enjoyed reading it. Olive's mystery is, I think, more or less resolved, and it unfolds in a way that makes a certain amount of sense, by Gotham standards. It actually ended up being a little more interesting than I had expected. The group of main characters owes a bit to the Scoobies, which is not a bad thing in my eyes. I'm glad this book is still going, b
Kristel
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
DAMIAN AND MAPS ARE MY FAVOURITES EVER
Kaitlin
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a story I read as part of the #GettingGraphic readalong I am hosting today and I really enjoyed this second volume. What I love about this is the Batman setting and the amazing colour tones and artwork. The story is always engaging and fun, but the artwork always sells me on this series :)

Overall I think that this did develop the plot of Olive and Maps (Maps is by far the cutest and my most favourite of the characters) as we see them following the strings of a mystery to discover who/wh
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to see Olive, Maps, and the others again. Also nice to Damian Wayne and Red Robin. Glad to learn more about the Silverlocks and their connection with Calamity.

Can't wait to read the next Gotham Academy comic!!!
Jes Reads
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Is Maps my spirit animal? The answer is yes.
Andrea Way
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars - This was okay but I am not sure that I wish to continue on with the series. They are okay but not holding my full attention.
Tokio Myers
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Ooo, the plot thickens! I didn't enjoy this one as much as book one, but it was nice to learn a smidgen more about Tristan and I'm so curious about this whole Calamity thing, I can't wait for the Detective Club to work it all out!
Richard Denney
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS!

Not as good as the first but I liked that we got to know a lot more about Olive's mom and more about Olive herself. Looking forward to Vol. 3 :)
Rachel (Kalanadi)
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I liked all the artists in this volume, but holy moly there were huge jumps and holes in the storytelling.
Julia
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun second volume of the series. More supernatural creatures, including a werewolf and a half bat half boy (not to be confused with Batman). I enjoy reading this series and plan on continuing it.
Albert
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gotham Academy Vol 2: Calamity by Becky Cloonan and Brendan Fletcher picks up at issue #7 of the series and takes us through issue #12 as it reveals more and more of Olive's past as we peak into the going ons at Gotham's prestigious prep school.

Olive Silverlock and her crew of intrepid teenage investigators of mysteries both normal and paranormal are faced this time around with werewolves and were-bats and ghosts. But also with appearances by the likes of Dr. Langstrom The Man-Bat, The Riddler,
Bookishrealm
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Update!! Full Review: http://www.bookishrealmreviews.com/20...

This volume was even better than the first volume! I absolutely love where the plot is going and the character development. I actually see myself buying the single issues of this series now instead of waiting for the trade paperbacks. I may even do a review on the first two volumes so be sure to stay tuned in.
Maria Kramer
Did anyone else feel like parts of this book were just...missing? Scenes just crashed up against each other with no transition. In addition to the art taking a turn for the muddy, it made things hard to follow.

Similar Titles:
Batgirl: The Family Business
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
Gotham Academy is a fun mash up of Scooby Doo meets the gothic, gloomy Gotham City. While I didn't like this volume as much as I did the first, mainly because it did not flow very well and felt choppy as there were no logical transitions between the scenes. Maps takes up much of the first half of this volume. Her partnering up with the grumpy and wiser than his years Damian Wayne was fun to witness. I adore Maps, the energetic and adorable girl whose eyes light up when a new mystery surfaces, bu ...more
Zaz
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
The several issues seemed a bit far-fetched, using whatever possible to introduce characters or their background, for a result that I didn't really enjoy, I preferred the 1st volume. However, it was nice to learn new things about the kids, Mia was really enthusiastic and it was a pleasure to bump into the bat-family. The art was again pretty good, with great colors and backgrounds, but it was the only strong point of the volume.
Sheida
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was super disappointed, this was one of the series I was most impressed with initially but everything, the story, the graphics, the page design, it all seemed a bit all over the place in this volume.
Sirene
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
In dem Band geht es viel mehr um die Vergangenheit von Olive und um die Familiengeheimnisse, von denen sie nichts ahnt. Nebenbei erforscht Maps weiterhin die Geheimnisse des Internats und stößt auf einige Schüler mit Geheimnissen.

Der erste Band hatte mir bekanntlich gut gefallen und als ich den zweiten und dritten gekauft hatte, erfuhr ich, dass die Reihe mit dem dritten Band abgeschlossen ist. Sowas freut mich, auch wenn es komisch klingt, aber ich bin froh, wenn ich mal eine abgeschlossene Han
Jessica
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5
MerryMeerkat
Bhanuj
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
It took me almost a year to complete it. It was so dull and boring, that it took all the strength I had to finish this volume.
Ray
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Morgan
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

If I had a quill, I might use it to write "Maps + Grapple Gun 5eva".

But I don't.

So... I'll just say that the story with Damien Wayne and Maps was cute. It was very "Maps" in tone, but still cute. ;)

It didn't feel as coherent as the first volume, but there were little bits and pieces revealed to keep things interesting and I still really like the art styl
Chessa
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, series, ya, sf_fantasy
Super love the art in this series! Fun story, too. My only quibble is SERIOUSLY THESE GIRLS ARE IN HIGH SCHOOL WHY SUCH SHORT *UNIFORM* SKIRTS?! My lord, how do they sit? Anyway. I am apparently officially Old. It was bound to happen at some point.

Digging the Scooby Gang. Everyone has a part to play. The only major character that still mystifies me is Kyle - he's still just a bit...cardboard. But I'm holding out hope for more development from him.

I love Maps so much.

Very much looking forward to
Ashley
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fun, exciting adventure with the Detective Club and a healthy dose of classic literature. While some of the stories were silly, when it focused on Olive's back story in the later issues, it truly took off. Maps remains my favorite character and so much is added with her humor, love of adventure, and extensive knowledge of the tunnels in the school and elsewhere. There wasn't a deep subtext here, but the art, humor, and story made it a blast to read.
Adriana
The tone of this is all over the place.
It starts out with some silly fun between Maps and Damian Wayne. Then goes super dark with Olive trying to find out the truth about her mom.
There are scenes where it seems like the writers weren't sure about the type of mood they wanted to set and it messes with the overall fell of the story.
It has some solid elements and moments, but it really feels like Cloonan is struggling a bit with finding the kind of book she wants Gotham Academy to be.
Anna
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars. To me this one felt a little more disjointed and had more fluffy filler than the first volume. I really liked learning more about Olive's family history and her Mom's mysterious past. I wasn't expecting the villain who was unmasked and liked the overall Scooby-Doo vibe. Interested to read what happens next.
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This is still such a super cute series. But I felt that this volume kind of went all over the place, especially with the change of artist for one issue. The arc felt a little frantic to me. I am hopeful that the next volume has more focus.
Kurt Lorenz
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, new-52, dc
Continues to be cute and entertaining. A fresh light side of the DC universe.
  • Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 1: Welcome Back
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy Vol. 1
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 6: Sink or Swim
  • Batman: Li'l Gotham, Vol. 2
  • Batgirl, Vol. 2: Family Business
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • Grayson, Volume 3: Nemesis
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 3
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 5: Band Together
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 3: Squirrel, You Really Got Me Now
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
  • Bandette, Volume 2: Stealers Keepers!
  • Lumberjanes: Bonus Tracks