Start by marking “The Tale of Rescue” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Rescue

The Tale of Rescue

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
When a blizzard traps a family outside in a whiteout, a cattle dog devises a stunning rescue in a moving, suspenseful, and gorgeously illustrated story.

A family—a mother, a father, and their ten-year-old son—have come all the way from Florida to the Appalachian foothills to experience the wonder of a snowy weekend. At a nearby farm, a cattle dog is working, as she does eve
Published October 13th 2015 by Candlewick Press

Connie D
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog, hero, family
This is a poetic heroic tale. Lovely language and watercolor pictures.
Margie
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen years ago, nearly to the day, my husband and his youngest brother died in an automobile accident. Month after month I barely existed. On August 21, 2000 a small chocolate Labrador female puppy was born; the runt of the litter. For us it was love at first sight. I named her Xena after the television warrior princess realizing strength was essential for her survival. She was so small it required feeding her three times a day. I was allowed to have her at school in a crate in my office. (I ...more
“A Tale of Rescue” is a heartwarming tale of courage and duty that will particularly appeal to animal lovers.
The story centers around a family from Florida who become lost outside during a sudden blizzard while they are vacationing in Ohio. Their rescue comes in the form of a cattle dog, who leads them to safety by unusual means.

Candlewick Press has a reputation for extraordinarily high quality children’s literature, and this book is no exception. The writing has a melody to it, which based on
Ms. Yingling
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
E ARC from Netgalley.com

A mother, father and their son travel from Florida for a vacation in the Appalachians in Ohio. They get caught out in a very bad snowstorm, and it doesn't look like they will survive until a cattle dog finds them and, after much travail, manages to herd them to a farmhouse where they are helped by the old man who lives there. They are so relieved to be rescued that they don't ask a lot of questions, but the boy returns to the farm years later in search of answers.
Strength
Debbie Tanner
This is a story about a cattle dog and family on vacation, which sounds like a really weird combination but it is a terrific story. The story opens telling about the dog. The dog loves to herd cattle and author goes into some lovely specific details about how the dog works and what makes it happy. Then it tells about a family that is on vacation from Florida in Ohio and how much they are enjoying the snow. Until they get lost in a white out. The dog comes to help, even though his owner thinks th ...more
Sharon Lawler
This is a story of a family's survival and a dog's dedication to duty. With the story unfolding via the physical and mental experiences of the characters, there are ample descriptions of sights, sounds, motions, and emotions, and the reader will experience the danger of the blizzard along with the characters. The dog is definitely the "Alpha" character! Writing which relies on sensorial description conjures up the notion of a "slow" plot, but that is not the case in Rosen's The Tale of Rescue.
Jeanne
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book as a Goodreads Firstread. What a gem.

The story is about a cattle dog, a family lost in a snowstorm, and the unique manner the dog uses to help them.
The description of the training and work the dog goes through every day is astounding. I enjoyed the original rescue efforts. It was not a typical " Lassie" moment.
The detail to the scenery and storm makes it easy to picture the events in one's mind.

This book would be excellent to read with children or grandchildren ages approximatel
Dianna Winget
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this little book in about an hour and would recommend it for dog lovers of any age. It’s a moving story of a cattle dog who saves a family stranded in a blizzard. Fiction, but totally believable. Great tale!
American Mensa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Tale of Rescue, a story by Michael Rosen, shows how kindness is the solution to any crisis, and how heroes emerge from the most unlikely of places. A family of three go on a vacation, trading sunny Florida for snow covered Ohio. Everything is fine, until they get lost in the midst of an endless whiteout. Numb with cold, the prospect of making it through the night seems grim. They cry for help without success. But somewhere not so far away, a cattle dog is listening. Knowing someone is in gre ...more
Annette
THE TALE OF RESCUE by Michael J. Rosen tells the fictional adventure of a dog that comes to the aid of a family during a blizzard.

When a young boy and his parents are lost in a snow storm, a cattle dog comes to their rescue. Unable to convince his master of the emergency, the cattle dog manages to create an ingenious way to save the frightened family.

Rosen’s rich storytelling skills make the tale come to life. Middle grade readers will feel like they’re reading a true story. What makes the novel
Bethe
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful watercolors accompany this quickly moving story of a family of Floridians caught in a blizzard in Ohio and one determined cattle dog. What I enjoyed was the unusual presentation of the characters which remain unnamed until the very last section of the book. Also unusual was the building of tension with lots of figurative language. Liked the look at a working farm dog, not a pet dog.
Michael
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
After a conference here in Columbus, I was given a copy of this book. A solid quick little read, it reminded my slightly of the blizzard scene from "Where The Red Fern Grows". Definitely a good read for dog lovers.
Skloss
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reviewing "The Tale of Rescue" while it was still manuscript.
EXCELLENT read for kids and adults alike!!
Beverly
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-fiction, dogs
Beautifully written, with lovely watercolor illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cattle dog rescues a family trapped in a blizzard. A suspenseful and moving story about a courageous canine with handsome illustrations by Stan Fellows.
Cristy
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the story about a cattle dog. The owner named her, but never really called her by her name, just cast, bye, and that'll do. A mother, father, and their son embark on an adventure to Ohio to experience snow firsthand. They are coming from Florida. They do not realize that there is a blizzard coming and their paths will cross with the cattle dog and so begins an adventure of their lives. I would recommend this for any collection looking for cause and effect stories for young readers. The a ...more
Awjtf
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
lovely story!
Jessica
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are lovely. I read this with my son who adores dogs, great choice!
Wendy
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read it with my 11 year old son and he loved it. Gave it a 10 out of 5. Short, exciting story about a courageous and smart farm dog who rescues a family caught outside in a blizzard.
Susan  Dunn
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-fiction
A Florida family comes to Ohio to stay at a rented cabin in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains for a week. Their son has never seen snow before, so they're excited to share this experience with him. The three spend a week cross-country skiing, building snow people, and having snowball fights. On their last morning they wake to new snow, and decide to hike the half mile to the lodge for breakfast. They don't know about winter weather - or whiteouts, and when they suddenly can barely see i ...more
Martha
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A family travels to an Appalachian Ohio rural area for their vacation. Enthralled by the snowy weather they take a hike. Not far from their cabin a snow blizzard occurs. Before long it turns into a white out and they lose their way. As the snow piles up, their chances for survival narrow. The snow is so high the 10-year-old boy can't see beyond the snow. Unable to move, the father whistles from time to time. Finally a cattle dog hears him, and follows the faint sound. This suspenseful tale is be ...more
Melissa Mcavoy
Lynda
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
A family vacations in the Appalachians so their son can see snow. But they get more than expected, when a blizzard hits and they are stranded out in the weather. A cattle dog, working a nearby farm finds them and goes to amazing measures to rescue them. I liked the concluding remarks and the end of the story. Something about the narration throughout though, made me think of the story as kind of awkward. Maybe it just touched the surface of the feelings of the family, rather than letting the read ...more
Liz Friend
The story: A boy and his parents are lost in a whiteout--so close to shelter, but completely unable to reach it. Everything depends on the dog: will she find them? Can she save them? Will she disobey her master to do it?

June Cleaver's ratings: Language G; Violence G; Sexual content G; Nudity G; Substance abuse G; Magic & the occult G; GLBT content G; adult themes (intense peril) PG; overall rating G.

Liz's comments: Here's a fine animal story that doesn't involve talking rodents or warring f
Kaity
Dec 09, 2015 added it
Shelves: animals
Theme - Animals (Realistic Fiction)

Rationale - This realistic fiction story takes place in snowy Ohio when a German Shepard saves a family that was stranded in a snowdrift while vacationing from Florida. The dog is a farming dog working in a nearby pasture, and when it hears the family calling for help, it races all the way to where they are and works tirelessly to find them and rescue them. Eventually, the dog brings them all to safety and they all return to the farm. The dog is the central pa
Missy
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Lovely watercolors provide a soothing contrast to the rather suspenseful Tale of Rescue. This would be a great read-aloud for ages 7 and up, especially for those who love dogs. The last chapter is rather superfluous, IMHO, and could be skipped. In this story, it is the Australian Cattle Dog who rescues a family of humans. If there are any humans out there with a heart for rescuing a cattle dog, you can meet a few candidates online.
Melinda Bender
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pa-yrca
A family is lost in a snow storm and prepares to die buried in the snow until they hear a dog barking. The farm dog finds the family and tries to save them by keeping them warm snuggling. The dog then heads back to the farm to get help but the farmer does not understand. The farm dog decides to save the family on his own by using his shepherding skills on them, rounding them up like cattle and chasing them back to the farm.

Nice adventure/rescue story of a dog finding a family in a snow storm. I
Courtenay
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There may be different ways of telling a story like this, but as a dog lover myself, when I find myself reading from front to back without a break and bawling my eyes out, well, I have to give it a five star rating. Strong enough story telling that I want to read more of Michael Rosen's dog stories. And I spent a good five minutes cuddling with my own heeler, before taking him for a working walk of his own.
Marti
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a wonderful book. Who doesn't love a heroic dog story. The lyrical descriptive prose and the anonymity of the characters places the reader in the middle of the action. A Florida family spending a winter holiday in a cabin in New England are caught in a sudden snowstorm. Fortunately, help comes from an unexpected "rescuer."
Thrilling, suspenseful and satisfying, this would be a great read aloud for both elementary school boys and girls.
Julie Williams
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a nice little bog about a herding dog who rescued a lost family during a blizzard. It was only a bit over 100 pages. The thing I didn't like was the epilogue where the boy from the family went back to where it all happened many years later. I think the book would have been just as good or even better without that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Ragweed's Farm Dog Handbook
  • Trouper
  • Mogie: The Heart of the House
  • Strongheart: The World's First Movie Star Dog
  • Another Kind of Hurricane
  • Mikis and the Donkey
  • Rescue on the Oregon Trail (Ranger in Time, #1)
  • Wish
  • When Life Gives You O.J.
  • Mountain Dog
  • Big Friends
  • Tiger Boy
  • Dream Dog
  • Hiding Out at the Pancake Palace
  • Sheep
  • Audacity Jones to the Rescue (Audacity Jones #1)
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • Kizzy Ann Stamps
Rosen's Website should provide all this and more. It's http://www.fidosopher.com.
Nonetheless: Michael J. Rosen is an American author and illustrator with over 120 books of fiction, nonfiction, humor, picture books, poetry, and more. With a strong interest in nature and animals, reflecting his animal behavior degree from Ohio State University, Rosen resides within a peaceful crease of Central Ohio
More about Michael J. Rosen