Start by marking “NOPI: The Cookbook” as Want to Read:
NOPI: The Cookbook

NOPI: The Cookbook

A cookbook from acclaimed London restaurant Nopi, by powerhouse author Yotam Ottolenghi and Nopi head chef Ramael Scully.

Pandan leaves meet pomegranate seeds, star anise meets sumac, and miso meets molasses in this collection of 120 new recipes from Yotam Ottolenghi's restaurant.

In collaboration with Nopi's head chef Ramael Scully, Yotam's journey from the Middle East to
Published October 20th 2015 by Appetite by Random House (first published September 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about NOPI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NOPI

Start your review of NOPI: The Cookbook
Mir
Apr 21, 2016 marked it as to-read
Oh, fine, if you insist, I will read another Ottolenghi cookbook.

Roast beef sirloin with cucumber kimchi and fresh plum

Denise
Sep 25, 2016 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
Nopi is for the serious chef, not cook. So happy to have Ardent in Milwaukee and The Immigrant Room in Kohler on the calendar as this cookbook has me drooling. Unfortunately, I don't have the talent to attempt one single recipe.
Juli Anna
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is definitely a restaurant cookbook, and many of the recipes are impractical for the home cook. That said, this is probably the most approachable restaurant cookbook I've seen, with plenty of involved, yet doable recipes. The book is beautiful, strikingly modern (for a cookbook), with truly excellent photographs and design. The recipes combine ingredients from all over the world in refreshing ways; it was inspiring to leaf through this book and learn about ingredients like black garlic, dri ...more
Jade
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: foodies, home cooks
As an Asian living in Europe constantly balancing (and struggling) to find exotic tropical ingredients to make dishes that taste like home, this cookbook is really something interesting to read -- as the two chefs marry traditionally Asian (kaffir lime, pandan, coconut) ingredients with Western ones (blood orange, burrata) and turn out surprising combinations. Obviously, it is one thing to read a cookbook and to actually make the dishes... So I tried one out the other day (for SCIENCE, and poste ...more
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Though this is not my favorite Ottolenghi book, I find it as inspiring and exciting as the others. I am so pleased that my sister gave me a copy for Christmas-- I can't wait to try some recipes!
Ruth Feathers
Recipes not for the faint of heart or budget-conscious.
Jos M
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-i-own
Honestly, an excellent cookbook (if a little dated at this point as some of the ingredients which were less commonly used then are now pretty mainstream and easy (ier?) to purchase than they once were) but most of it is pretty labour intensive - and in some cases too equipment heavy - for my limited abilities. I dare say I won't be making my own labneh and smoking it in tea for a light starter...although I am sure it would be delicious.
Sasha
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, art
This book intimidated all of us from its place high up on the bookshelf for over two years. Out of the blue, I decided to take the plunge into this British, what is it, fusion? Keep in mind: I don't cook anything more involved than a couple of toasted freezer waffles on at least 300 days out of any given year.

Naturally, I started with what seemed like the simplest dish out of the non-salads in this cookbook - the manouri zucchini fritters. Those went quite well, despite me throwing in five times
Yasmeen
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
If you own any of Ottolenghi's cookbooks, I must tell you that this isn't as simple and straightforward (to be fair, his other cookbooks are very accessible to everyone).
Sure, Nopi contains involved recipes that take time and have multiple steps; but with a result that's worth it. And honestly, it's not like there are difficult or complicated techniques like you'd find in Michelin-star restaurant cookbooks.

Oh, and the cookbook is extremely beautiful. Definitely the prettiest I've seen. Gold, an
Diane
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookery
For advanced/adventurous cooks
Sharon
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased, cooking
Everywhere I go I see stacks of this amazing cookbook and no wonder, what a pleasure this is!! I ordered eight cookbooks this fall and this one is truly a winner and I really hope to visit the restaurant in London one day after hearing stories from a friend this fall. Good articles and details of each recipe and the ingredients. His books provide so much detail they are all like novels! While providing good recipes and invaluable tips.
D
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: better-than-average cooks who are looking for slightly more challenging recipes
gorgeous production values (the gilt-tipped pages are everything). intriguing-looking recipes. but this collection is a little more varsity -- long ingredient lists and a bit more technical skill required, many steps. still gorgeous, but a little more for the semi-professional and more aspirational for the average home cook. still a gorgeous book -- i just don't think i'll get as much use out of it as i do my other ottolenghi cookbooks.
Anato
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, favorites
Strikes a fine balance between being a coffee table book and an actually useable cookbook. Comes with fair warning that complex restaurant recipes lie within, but without any snootiness. The writing and instructions make these recipes reasonably accessible, with suggested simplifications as well, but do bear in mind that this book isn't for a beginner.
Theresa Tereent
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was really excited to get this book, but i don't think it is as good as the ottolenghi ones, especially his first one. I have only made the burrata dish and it was delicious but somehow the other recipes dont make me want to rush into the kitchen. It may be me...
Iris
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
advanced techniques. i only grabbed "sticky sesame rice" and "french toast with orange yogurt." the book serves as nopi's business card, embodying the adage of ordering only what u can't make at home (all of it).
Oana
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would like to give this 10 stars. Everything I've made has been awesome.
The Jewish Book Council
Review by Maron L. Waxman for the Jewish Book Council. ...more
Vuk Trifkovic
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Very Ottolenghi. Wonderful volume, great photography and slightly more chef-ey version of his stuff.
Jillian
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun recipes in here and quite delicious. Definitely more involved than his previous cookbooks and quite the time sink, but thus far it's been worth the effort.
Linda
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Lovely to read but many of the recipes are still too difficult for me to even contemplate making. The food in the restaurant itself is highly recommended.
Ryan
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Definitely a restaurant cookbook with lots of components for each dish but many of them were doable and tasty. A nice fusion of cuisines.
Carol
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, I read cookbooks like novels. I have more than a few bookmarked. Some very interesting recipes, delicious looking pictures.
Michelle
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Need to get out the the libs to work with recipes.
Ambur Taft
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful cookbook, as is any cookbook Yotam Ottolenghi puts out in my eyes. Amazing recipes and mouth watering photos to go along with them.
Karen Cockerill
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
This book was recommended in our cookbook club and has been a hit with the girls that are already great cooks and natural entertainers.

I’m a newbie to cooking, recipe dependent and very much a lazy cook which is why I was rather surprised that I enjoyed this book. Okay, full truth - it’s never going to be my favourite cookbook. I do however see value in it being a book I grab for festive occasions and entertaining.

If you accept the fact that nothing in the book is a quick cookup - most recipes
Linda Hartlaub
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Another beautiful book by Yotam Ottolenghi with stunning photos of each recipe in the book. Be aware, however, this is not a book for the faint of heart. If it's for a collection or the coffee table, that's great. But if you are planning to cook from it, be warned. These are incredibly complex recipes that assume you have a LOT of time and a LOT of money to spend on strange and esoteric ingredients. The easiest recipe in the book is for French toast and that used 13 ingredients and had two pages ...more
Cassandra Kocek
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This cookbook has beautiful photos and recipes for delicious gourmet recipes. However, be prepared this is not a book for beginners or the average home cook. Most of the recipes call for exotic, hard to find ingredients and require advanced prep time. That being said, I look forward to challenging myself to making several of these dishes.
Sharon
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Innovative recipes, interesting food combinations.
Szava
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
i will most likely mess them up, but i want to cook these recipes. my wallet is already crying.
Kate
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
my least favorite of his books

• Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • Persiana: Recipes from the Middle East & Beyond
  • Pretending
  • Purple Citrus  Sweet Perfume: Cuisine of the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Jamie Does...
  • Vegetarian Epicure
  • Falastin: A Cookbook
  • The Forest Feast for Kids: Colorful Vegetarian Recipes That Are Simple to Make
  • Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook
  • Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals
  • Still Life with Menu Cookbook
  • Radical Hope: Letters of Love and Dissent in Dangerous Times
  • The Way Back
Yotam Ottolenghi's path to the world of cooking and baking has been anything but straightforward. Having completed a Masters degree in philosophy and literature whilst working on the news desk of an Israeli daily, he made a radical shift on coming to London in 1997. He started as an assistant pastry chef at the Capital and then worked at Kensington Place and Launceston Place, where he ran the past ...more