Start by marking “The Adventures of Miss Petitfour” as Want to Read:

The Adventures of Miss Petitfour

The magical adventures of an eccentric Mary Poppins-esque heroine and her flying feline charges, sure to charm readers big and small. The first book for children by an internationally acclaimed novelist and poet.

Miss Petitfour enjoys having adventures that are "just the right size - fitting into a single, magical day." She is an expert at baking and eating
Published November 10th 2015 by Tundra Books (first published November 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Miss Petitfour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Miss Petitfour

Hannah Greendale

Mary Poppins meets Jenny and the Cat Club in this collection of five illustrated stories that delight and amuse from their adventurous beginning to their happy end.
Rebecca
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this more than I did. There were parts of it that sparkled and that I really enjoyed, but most of it I just didn't care too much about and some of the explanations and "digressions" (toward the end I was really hating that word) felt almost...I'm not even sure - not condescending, but too talk down-ish to kids? And the very lengthy lists of cat names and long convoluted names of most of the women of the town got old really quickly. I just jumped over them and I feel that ...more
Sammy
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
It's not often that I will reach for a children's book, but when I do it's normally for something that's light, quirky and easy to read - and this definitely delivered in those areas.

I don't have children myself, but I do have cats who were present during the time of my reading this book. So that counts, right?

If Mary Poppins was a kooky cat lady, this would be her book. These little short stories follow the adventures of Miss Petitfour, her sixteen cats, and her tableclo
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Such a charming children's book! And the illustrations are super cute. Loved the bits of wisdom from Miss Petitfour's adventures and all her adorable cats!
Ashley Buhrke
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
**I would like to start off by saying that I received The Adventures of Miss Petitfour by Anne Michaels for free via LibraryThing giveaway in exchange for a review. Although I am super grateful and excited for any opportunity at receiving a book for free, I am also very strict with being honest. That being said, giveaways do not impact my reviews.**

Well.... this is one of those "whoopsie" moments. I entered in giveaway based on the first few words I saw such as "Mary Poppins" and "16 cats" and was sold!
Bookworm
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely charming. Considered a children's book, but I found it to be more of a sweet little collection of funny and interesting adventure's of a single lady and her many cats. Oh, I loved the kitties! Captain, Minky, and-okay, I'll stop.:) Anne Michaels throws words with complete and delightful abandon, making interesting and very perfect-y descriptions! *"The quiet sound of whiskers being licked clean"*-who would have thought to have described it that way?!
Genevieve
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Huh. I heard it described as a more modern Mrs Piggle Wiggle, but the sense of wonder wasn't the same for me. Also, the writing reminded me of Lemony Snicket, which should be a selling point, but wasn't. Some kids and parents will love this, but it was too twee even for me.
Becky Ginther
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this book at BEA, and it was so utterly charming and adorable. Being a big cat lover I couldn't help buy enjoy the story of Miss Petitfour, a fantastical Mary Poppins type character and her 16 cats. She sometimes takes off in flight by grabbing a tablecloth and puffing it up like a balloon, and her cats all follow by grabbing tails and forming a long string of cats. Sound weird? It totally is, but in way I could really appreciate.

The book has 5 sho
Jill Griffith
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Words like delightful and lovely aptly describe, but don't do justice to this little book of wonderfulness. Anne Michaels, award-winning author of Fugitive Pieces, has penned her first book for children, and I do so hope there will be more. Being a Children's Librarian, I was thrilled to discover this title which reminds me of why I became a librarian in the first place; books I read as a child, given to me by my English grandmother, that evoked images and had language that seems to have long-si ...more
H.L. Burke
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
My rating is based on what the book is because it is very much a candy book. It's got cats and pretty writing and adorable illustrations I'd like to paste all over the place ... but not a lot of plot and/or characters ... in fact, not a lot really happens in the story, but that's okay because the book is kind of just an excuse to enjoy the frosting of pretty words and adorable pictures and a "nice" mood. Worth looking through just for that (might be worth owning just to have displayed because "c ...more
Devin
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet and whimsical book and is what you'd expect from a main character with the name of Miss Petitfour who has 16 cats. It's filled with four unbelievable but cute stories, vocabulary, tea parties, and knitting and baking. I think 1st-4th graders would enjoy it. The illustrations are equally whimsical and might either scare some readers off or might be exactly what some readers need. Note: I totally bought this book because of the cover.
Anne Fien
Sep 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
I skim read this, it's only about 100 pages and I did NOT enjoy it at all.
I thought it would be a lovely mix between the Dutch Minoes and Mary Poppins, it turns out it's a super basic story format repeated over and over in a bad way. A sort of fake teaching narrative about story lines and words kids will never in their lives run into. I don't like it. The stories weren't entertaining either and most paragraphs were just the same sentence written in 6 different ways..
Mary Elizabeth Morton
A delightful and quick read. I truly enjoyed sitting with my daughter Gracie...each of us with our own copy and reading this book together. A lovely bonding moment with my sweet daughter. Thanks for the suggestion Jenn! :)
Erika
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, kids-and-youth
This is a terrific collection of whimsical adventures of Miss Petitfour and her collection of cats who all travel by tablecloth in the wind. It uses beautiful triple-scoop words and will be fabulous to use to teach writing to my grade 4s and the power of words.
Sharon
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very delightful children's book! Miss Petitfour makes one think a little of Mary Poppins as she flies with the help of her tablecloth. Each day she has little adventures, accompanied by her sixteen cats! A charming read that left me with a smile on my face.
Helen
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As delightful, daft and beautiful as the person who gave this to me ! Thank you Aimee
Amy
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored the writing and illustrations of this book! It was a sweet story with an old-fashioned sensibility.
Pammycats
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
By: Anne Michaels
illustrations by: Emma Block

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book is as delightful as a plate of petit fours - delicious, looks simple but must be crafted by a master, and thoroughly enjoyable.

The author of this book is Anne Michaels. She is the poet laureate of Canada and I’m not even exaggerating when I tell you that she is amazing. I have a little jolt of celebr
Julie
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charming children's story by a Canadian author. Best if read out loud!
Abigail
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very fun, easy read for a trip! I really enjoyed the illustrations and the story felt like it would make a fun read-a-loud. It also seemed like it would be a fun middle school book with several really pretty easy projects coming to mind (like using some of the highlighted words as spelling words, picking one of the rare stamps referenced in one of the short stories and do a history report on it, etc).
Hannah Joy  S.
Simply charming!
Becky
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Very soon you will be meeting Miss Petitfour, and so, just to be sure you'll recognize her, this is what she looks like.

I loved this one from the very first page. Even before I turned the page to see that lovely phrase, "...and her Cats." Love isn't strong enough really. Let's make it LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Miss Petitfour is a gush-worthy read if ever there was one!

So what is it about? The adventures that Miss Petitfour has with her sixteen cats. They get around town by flying--sail
Linnae
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clever, whimsical, and delightful, like Miss Petitfour herself.

Miss Petitfour wears her hair in a messy bun, has 16 cats, and prefers to get around by tablecloth. She gathers up the corners, lets the wind puff it up like a balloon, and the cats all grab on to be the tail. This is a collection of 5 different adventures--all just the right size to fit into one magical day.

* * * * * *
This was such a funny little book. I mean that in both senses of the word. It had amu
Molly Westerman
A delightful, light read-aloud with many cats and zero stressful bits.
Vicky
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
My eight-year-old daughter and I loved the story and the charming illustrations. It reminded me—and my mother—a lot of the Mary Poppins books.

The repetition of the 16 cats’ names is a staple for children’s literature. For us in particular, we found the extended and voluminous last names of many of the characters to be a tongue-in-cheek parody of how hyphenated some of our fellow Brits are.

The short stories are more about adventure and the personalities of the cats than th
Ruth
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-s-reads
As a forty-five year old woman, I'm not really this book's target audience. However, I found it utterly charming and thoroughly enjoyed reading it aloud to my daughter. I thought that she would find it babyish, as she's a ten-year-old going on teenage, but she loved it too. I think this is because it works on multiple levels: it is a series of mini-adventures, but it is also a book about language and how to write stories.

There are many lists of words, including the names of Miss Petitfour's six
Luna
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are sixteen cats, one of them is called Minky and loves cheese – so you know I adore this book already. There is also Misty, Taffy, Purrsia, Pirate, Mustard, Moutarde, Hemdala, Earring, Your Shyness, Grigorovich, Clasby, There 3 Captains: Captain Captain, Captain Catkin, Captain Clothespin and Sizzles. They dance, are into crafts and go flying with Miss Petitfour when she appropriate the tablecloth according the weather.

Are you in love with this book yet? Because you really sho
Helena
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fiction
I adored this book, and my 7yo daughter enjoyed it very much as well. Heck, even my 3yo son got a kick out of the cats. I checked this book out of the library after seeing it mentioned by a blogger I regularly read (Alison May at BrocanteHome), and I am so glad I did. It's very whimsical, with lovely illustrations. Miss Petitfour's adventures are just the right kind for reading about before bedtime, and that is exactly what we did. The kids were so sad at having to give her back to the library t ...more
Alistair
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Miss Petitfours loves three things: baking delicious treats, her sixteen cats (yes, 16), and flying, by means of one of her favourite table cloths, with the sixteen cats in tow. Anne Michaels' delightful novel for children describes five adventures for Miss Petitfours and her felines. One of her mottoes is "If you have to do something every day - make it fun and you'll never be bored."
She cleverly introduces difficult words for her readers (digression, festooning, debonair), always printed
Jennifer Yanos
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book! The storyline is rather simple, perfect for kids, but the way it is delivered is completely enduring! Anne Michael's uses such a lovable voice through the entire book, highlighting and defining difficult words as well as talking about the ways stories are written. I can't wait for her to write another's children's book, and I am definitely going to look up her other books. The illustrator, Emma Block, does a fantastic job of capturing the story in her paintings and ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Henry and the Chalk Dragon
  • A Castle Full of Cats
  • How Groundhog's Garden Grew
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos (Twitch the Squirrel, #1)
  • The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of Poetry
  • Mog and Bunny
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • Ratpunzel (Hamster Princess, #3)
  • Digby O'Day in the Fast Lane
  • Look Out for the Fitzgerald-Trouts
  • A Dragon's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Humans (A Dragon's Guide, #1)
  • Rose and the Lost Princess (Rose, #2)
  • Poetry for Young People: Carl Sandburg
  • House of Dolls
  • Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff
  • Where Are You Going, Baby Lincoln?
  • Moonday
  • Lulu Walks the Dogs
From Canadian Poetry Online:

Anne Michaels was born in Toronto, Canada, in 1958. She is the author of one novel Fugitive Pieces, which explores the possibility of love and faith alter the Holocaust, with language marked by power, elegance, and integrity. Ms. Michaels, who has also composed musical scores for the theater, has said "when you put a tremendous amount of love into your work,
“There was currant toast squishy with butter, caramel-marshmallow squares, strawberry boats oozing custard, chocolate exclairs that exploded with cream when the cats bit into them with their little white teeth and-- a special treat for Pleasant-- a pie made from thick slices of Bramley apple, with just the right amount of tangy in the tangy-sweet.” 1 likes
“Sometimes, all you must do is reach out your hand for something wonderful to happen.” 1 likes