Start by marking “A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)

A Seditious Affair

(Society of Gentlemen #2)

K. J. Charles turns up the heat in her new Society of Gentlemen novel, as two lovers face off in a sensual duel that challenges their deepest beliefs.

Silas Mason has no illusions about himself. He’s not lovable, or even likable. He’s an overbearing idealist, a Radical bookseller and pamphleteer who lives for revolution . . . and for Wednesday nights. Every week he meets
Published December 15th 2015 by Loveswept (Random House)

To ask other readers questions about A Seditious Affair, please sign up.
K.J. Charles Dominic is a submissive, in modern terms. (I'd say it's more about the verbal/mind games, and also about the problem of having a fairly dark kink at a…moreDominic is a submissive, in modern terms. (I'd say it's more about the verbal/mind games, and also about the problem of having a fairly dark kink at a time when there wasn't really a vocabulary or a structure for knowing what you were doing. But YMMV.) I hope that helps?(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
K.J. Charles Yes, he's definitely not going to mix with the gentlemen, though he's not really in the servant's hall either. It's a weird limbo position created as…moreYes, he's definitely not going to mix with the gentlemen, though he's not really in the servant's hall either. It's a weird limbo position created as a matter of needs must, thus not comfortable for anyone. (less)

Julio Genao
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
quite ludicrously excellent.

that first thirty percent is so tightly plotted and infernally pacey that the first night i read this it took me hours to realize that i'd forgotten to pee and was legitimately in peril of literally pissing the bed.

ridiccccccccccculously engaging. i mean, one escandalo smoothly transitioning into another, to the point where i decreased the font size so i didn't have to swipe so frequently.

things eventually hit a different rhythm (and thank god—i don't get much sleep t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
K.J. Charles seems to always get it right, and she scored again with another really well-written historical in the Society of Gentlemen series.

Now, here is some stuff that I think you should know. This absolutely can't be read as a stand-alone. It takes place in and around the same time line as A Fashionable Indulgence, and the plot-lines are interwoven to a great extent.

If I'm comparing the two stories, I'd say that I liked A Fashionable Indulgence more. It was more... unexpected, more charmi
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Intellectual, passionate, radical, intense ...

I hated this book. I loved it.

Dominic and Silas don't walk in the same circles. They don't breathe the same air.

But they give each other what they need, and watching Dominic's humiliation, his pain & submission, is at once terrifying and beautiful.

This is not an easy read. The author firmly grounds the story in the politics of the era, and Silas and Dominic are on opposite sides of the fight.

I enjoyed A Fashionable Indulgence more. It was li
K.J. Charles
Jun 05, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-by-me, regency, m-m
Book 2 of Society of Gentlemen. This is a standalone story but overlaps significantly with the characters and events of A Fashionable Indulgence.

In the bedroom of an assignation house, a self-taught brute and a Tory gentleman are carrying on a passionate but anonymous affair, spurred as much by a shared love of books as by their deviant desires. In the streets, lower-class radical Silas Mason risks his life to write polemics against the oppressive government, while high-born Dominic Frey of the
wesley
seditious

I could give this a high rating just for the sex. Those were intense D/s scenes well before BDSM was established and the rest of the world caught up to it. But I’d be a shallow git if I recommend this just for the sex and romance.

Because this book is so much more. And K.J. Charles is a master weaver of brilliant historical novels. Novels that make sense. Stories that really matter.

This book makes you think. I mean really, really think. It calls into question your beliefs, morality and the prin

Vivian
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ng, romance-hist, fr
Where does one's fealty lay?

Dominic, so torn. Over the course of the story I felt such empathy for him. He was faced with a couple of critical, life-altering decisions, both of which had advantages and disadvantages to them. One required learning something for himself and the other allowing others to make their own choices.

Silas characterization is brilliant. The turns of phrase are humorous, illuminating and clever--a perfect guttersnipe. Equally intelligent men, but on different social ladder
SheReadsALot
Buddy Read with Adam and Cupcake

A tag-team review betwixt Cupcake and Baby can be found here:

4.5 Hearts--I was very happy for the future pairings in the Society of Gentlemen series. And this series thankfully features a different couple each book. But Cyprian, the redheaded valet/spy made an impression on me. Immensely. I was all over the ginger (go figure). He's cunning and bends the rules? I wanted to spring on top of him like...I dunno what. I wanted Cyprian like I wanted my next breath. And
Ingie
Written December 20, 2015

4.8 Stars - Amazing well written, heartbreaking, painful, intensely hot and grand romantic good. My happy HUGE love!

Book #2

A Seditious Affair is the second part in K.J. Charles new historical (non paranormal) men loves men series, Society of Gentlemen. This M/M novel is telling the story about an unexpected secretly encounters (later love) couple, two men from completely different social classes, as we met as second characters already in #1-A Fashionable Indulgence (3.8
Emma Sea
My god, if I'd realised historicals could be that good I'd read them regularly. Charles had me at the verb 'to swive' and never let go. I didn't particularly love Flight of Magpies and I feel aggrieved no one grabbed me and shook me and said, "No, you don't understand, this is so much better!"

I highly rec this book to all.

Read for my 2016 Reading Challenge: #8. A book set in Europe (if you live in Europe, substitute with a book set in another continent) and as our MMQ January BoM
Jan
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jan by: Lisazj1
**** 4.5 Stars ****
Vanessa North
Jan 15, 2016 added it
Recommends it for: everyone with a pulse
Fucking ridiculously, spectacularly, goddamn obscenely good.

The best historical romance I've read in years.

If I were telling you about this book in person, I would be cussing my admiration in italics.

Just, go read this book, okay?
Ele
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Not Renee.

“Heaven in Hell’s despair. You’re mine, understand? Mine to the bone.” [...]

“I own you, Tory. Nobody else. No lackwit gentry-fuckster who doesn’t know how to treat you right.” His hand was around Dominic’s prick, fingers just touching, making him wait. Dominic’s fingers were clenched on empty air. “Like it’s a hardship to have those pretty eyes pleading. Like I wouldn’t want that pretty mouth telling me I’m the master here. Christ, the way you give it up to me. I own you.”

This book. This boo
Moony Eliver
"We disagree without hatred, and fuck as we choose. If I were to give my idea of utopia..."

It's very, very rare for me to heart both the romantic relationship and the plot-outside-the-romance an equal amount. Especially if that "equal amount" is YES, PLEASE / EVERYTHING / ALL THE GOOD.

Note: The cover, though. Who in the holy hell is that supposed to be? Certainly not either of the MCs. Not even remotely close in any aspect. Argh.
Lyn
The narration was stellar as I expected. The MCs were very likeable. The story however was just okay for me. Politics and bdsm…I wasn’t feeling it. At least I got a little more of the exquisite Julius from book 1. Love and adore him!!

I have high hopes for book 3. I’m hoping Richard and the mysterious Cyprian’s story turns out to be the best in the series.
Sofia
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Charles does not let one breathe in this one. From the very first is was straight into the fray and she did not let up until the very end.

Whilst A Fashionable Indulgence was a study in assimilation, this one, the second in the trilogy is a study in contrasts. Everything is pit against the other. Contrasts in wealth and circumstances, education, family and friends, sexual preferences, political beliefs, duty and self, duty and friends. Silas and Dom are such excellent vehicles so that we get both
Adam
BR with Wench and SheReadsALot

Another winner by K.J. Charles!

Wednesday by Wednesday, week by week, I have loved you.

I've basically been salivating for this from the moment that I put two and two together near the end of A Fashionable Indulgence. I knew that Silas and Dominic would provide the angst, romance, and hot sexin' that I look for in my MM historical reads. I was not disappointed!

This book takes off running. Dom and Silas have been secretly meeting for a year. Silas is everything Dom h
Sara
Too many highlights.
Too many notes.
Too many instances of me sobbing like a fool over endearments, sentiments and things I have no business crying over.
Knowing what I did from book one about Silas and Dominic, this did NOT disappoint.
It was everything I could have wanted and beyond.
Dominic was consuming.
Silas was just a tat bit more.
I loved seeing the Ricardians as always.
It was lovely.
It was political and amazing and raw and ruthless and sexy as all fuck.
It wrecked me at only 2% and nev
DarienMoya
The Story: 4.5 Pants Off

KJ Charles has done it again!! Like this shit be mad hot fire and out of this world brilliant.

Silas is a cranky bastard, he’s a radical and he makes no illusions about who he is and what he believes in. Domenic Frey is on the other end of the spectrum, he’s a man with money and prestige who likes to get off in the seedier parts of town. What he doesn’t know is that his Wednesday hookups is none other than radical Silas, and the rest you can say is history.

There’s gonna be
Ami
4.5 stars!

For the past year, gentleman official Dominic Frey meets his brute every Wednesday and embraces his submissive nature -- of wanting to be dominated and controlled with pain and rough sex. For the past year, Radical idealist Silas Mison meets his Tory every Wednesday and gives in what they both what in a darker kink side of sex. They don't share each other names. Until Dominic's job to capture the pamphleteer who wrote sedition under the pseudonym of Jack Cade brings Dominic into Silas'
Caz
I don't give out many A grades at AAR, and I've never given an A+. Until now.

The second book in K.J Charles’ Society of Gentlemen trilogy, A Seditious Affair contains all the ingredients I enjoyed so much in A Fashionable Indulgence, which I read in the summer. I was so impressed by Ms Charles’ writing and the wonderful way she wove the romantic relationship through a gripping story of social and political unrest, attempted murder and conflicting loyalties that to say I was chomping at the bit
Chelsea
Re-Listen - April 2018 - I love this story so much! But this time I definitely got more frustrated with the audio. Damn Silas whispers so much and I literally couldn't hear anything that was said. I'd crank the volume up just for them to shout at me in the next line, and those whispers were important...at least I think they were.

Review

I adore this series!

What a beautiful love story this was! Dom and Silas are absolutely gorgeous together (and sexy as all fuck!).

I super dooper loved this sex, al
Elsa Bravante
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mucho mejor que el anterior, fundamentalmente por la pareja protagonista, aquí desaparece el necesitado y el héroe salvador, es una pareja en la que ambos son iguales, sin ese tufo paternalista y condescendiente que tenían las dos historias previas.
Está muy bien escrito, y sin duda el fuerte del libro es la trama, compleja y muy muy bien hilvanada. La autora se ha documentado bien, ha utilizado el lenguaje apropiado y nos hace un cuadro de la sociedad inglesa de la principios del siglo XIX muy p
Hollis
When it was a matter of dying on your feet or living on your knees, the answer wasn't as clear as you might have hoped.

Wow wow wow.

A SEDITIOUS AFFAIR was my first read by Charles but it will absolutely not be my last. This book is in fact the second book in the Society of Gentlemen series and while I normally try to avoid reading out of order I'm absolutely thrilled I did it for this set of books. Based on the interactions between book one's couple I'm a little unsure how I would like being in t
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

“There really were no chains like the ones in your head.”

I was curious how K.J. Charles would handle this sequel since she had the relationship, without the POV of this book's couple and details, already existing in the first book. The backstory sounded fascinating so I was kind of hoping she'd start at the beginning to show them first meeting because it sounded like an fun event, and because I don't enjoy reading first books about established relationships. Still, I knew that wouldn't work sin
Trisha Harrington
4 stars!

This is another KJ Charles winner for me. I adore her writing and can never get enough of her books. Every time I pick one up, I devour it and am left wanting more. A Seditious Affair was no different.

I was a little nervous starting this. Knowing who this book was about and meeting them in the first book, A Fashionable Indulgence, left me wondering how they could possibly work as a proper couple and not leave me wanting to tear my hair out. Surprisingly, these two worked incredibly well
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I know the reason I couldn't wait reading this. As soon as I read Silas in the summary, I was sold. He made quite an impression in A Fashionable Indulgence! Here, he broke my heart and put it back again more than once. The kind of man he is, the friend and lover too, is wonderful. Silas is a type of man people want to be thought of as, but few are. I can't think of a more decent human being than Silas Mason. Flaws, insecurities and all.

I loved this story, the characters and above all, its multip
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
BR with The Adam & Baby

Let me just say I continue to be dazzled by Charles’s writes. It’s clear she enjoys research something I find highly satisfying myself and I do appreciate any efforts toward depicting historical events accurately.

This series takes place during the Regency period and various actual historical events tie the Society of Gentlemen to their less affluent counterparts. That divide is highlighted in A Seditious Affair probably more so than any of the rest of the series. Possi
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I was wrong. Well, maybe not "wrong" per se but when I originally read this book I thought the reason I didn't love it as much as A Fashionable Indulgence was because it was overly political.

Wrong!

They're all fairly political, putting the differences between the gentry and the plebes in the spotlight, so no, it wasn't that. It's these characters. To be clear, I like both Silas and Dom but they aren't dynamic. Neither leap out at me. Not like Julius or Harry or even Cyprian.

I liked their journey
Kaje Harper
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one even more than A Fashionable Indulgence although that book should be read first to understand much of the background in this one.

Dominic Frey and Silas Mason have been meeting up every week for anonymous BDSM encounters. So anonymous that they don't even exchange names, let alone more personal details. Dominic needs to be made to submit, and Silas is the man to give him what he craves. Until the political realities of the day - both in the illegality of gay sex and the class
Ije the Devourer of Books
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book started out slowly for me, but as I read on the story gathered momentum and had an excellent ending. It also has lots of tension and a historical authenticity that I really enjoyed and learnt from. I am not a great fan of historical romances but I am enjoying this series because the author really knows how to tell a story. In this series she has created an interesting set of characters who are subversive in the way they live their lives and express their sexuality, fierce in the way th ...more
The Challenge Fac...: Kelsey & Lou - A Seditious Affair 37 17 Feb 07, 2016 02:17AM
M/M and Queer Rom...: JANUARY Book of the Month – A Seditious Affair 47 31 Jan 23, 2016 09:49AM
A Seditious Affair BR 18th Dec 15 124 32 Dec 24, 2015 07:33AM
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Another Place in Time
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • The Ruin of a Rake (The Turner Series, #3)
  • The Bohemian and the Banker
  • Seven Summer Nights
  • Sharp Love (Gambling on Love, #2)
  • Blessed Isle
  • Hellion
I'm a writer of romance, mostly m/m, often historical or fantasy or both.

I'm also a freelance editor, and I blog about writing and editing at kjcharleswriter.com.

I live in London, UK, with husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Follow me on Twitter @kj_charles or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/kj.charles.9

Society of Gentlemen (3 books)
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
“There really were no chains like the ones in your head.” 11 likes
“This was the torment and insanity, the enjoyment of angels, when he was helpless in Silas’s hands. “Frighten me,” Dominic whispered.” 3 likes