Start by marking “A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)

A Seditious Affair

(Society of Gentlemen #2)

K. J. Charles turns up the heat in her new Society of Gentlemen novel, as two lovers face off in a sensual duel that challenges their deepest beliefs.

Silas Mason has no illusions about himself. He’s not lovable, or even likable. He’s an overbearing idealist, a Radical bookseller and pamphleteer who lives for revolution . . . and for Wednesday nights. Every week he meets
Published December 15th 2015 by Loveswept (Random House)

To ask other readers questions about A Seditious Affair, please sign up.
K.J. Charles Dominic is a submissive, in modern terms. (I'd say it's more about the verbal/mind games, and also about the problem of having a fairly dark kink at a…moreDominic is a submissive, in modern terms. (I'd say it's more about the verbal/mind games, and also about the problem of having a fairly dark kink at a time when there wasn't really a vocabulary or a structure for knowing what you were doing. But YMMV.) I hope that helps?(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
K.J. Charles Yes, he's definitely not going to mix with the gentlemen, though he's not really in the servant's hall either. It's a weird limbo position created as …moreYes, he's definitely not going to mix with the gentlemen, though he's not really in the servant's hall either. It's a weird limbo position created as a matter of needs must, thus not comfortable for anyone. (less)

Start your review of A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
Julio Genao
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
quite ludicrously excellent.

that first thirty percent is so tightly plotted and infernally pacey that the first night i read this it took me hours to realize that i'd forgotten to pee and was legitimately in peril of literally pissing the bed.

ridiccccccccccculously engaging. i mean, one escandalo smoothly transitioning into another, to the point where i decreased the font size so i didn't have to swipe so frequently.

things eventually hit a different rhythm (and thank god—i don't get much sleep t
Shile
“I kneel for two reasons only, and the other one is prayer. It’s not how I am, not usually.”

ASSDKNGJJGFORKJCJGROKWESTANGORKKKGJGJ!!!!!!

#Dead, Deader, Deadest!

description

Warning! Some quotes ahead! Proceed with caution.

5+++++++++ stars

Gushing! Gushing! And more Gushing!

Gaaaah!

Just read this beautiful quote....

“I must. I have been coming to love you for a long time, you damned seditious brute, as I almost found the courage to tell you earlier. Wednesday by Wednesday, week by week, I have loved you.”
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
K.J. Charles seems to always get it right, and she scored again with another really well-written historical in the Society of Gentlemen series.

Now, here is some stuff that I think you should know. This absolutely can't be read as a stand-alone. It takes place in and around the same time line as A Fashionable Indulgence, and the plot-lines are interwoven to a great extent.

If I'm comparing the two stories, I'd say that I liked A Fashionable Indulgence more. It was more... unexpected, more charmi
K.J. Charles
Jun 05, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: m-m, regency, books-by-me
Book 2 of Society of Gentlemen. This is a standalone story but overlaps significantly with the characters and events of A Fashionable Indulgence.

In the bedroom of an assignation house, a self-taught brute and a Tory gentleman are carrying on a passionate but anonymous affair, spurred as much by a shared love of books as by their deviant desires. In the streets, lower-class radical Silas Mason risks his life to write polemics against the oppressive government, while high-born Dominic Frey of the
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Intellectual, passionate, radical, intense ...

I hated this book. I loved it.

Dominic and Silas don't walk in the same circles. They don't breathe the same air.

But they give each other what they need, and watching Dominic's humiliation, his pain & submission, is at once terrifying and beautiful.

This is not an easy read. The author firmly grounds the story in the politics of the era, and Silas and Dominic are on opposite sides of the fight.

I enjoyed A Fashionable Indulgence more. It was lighte
wesley
seditious

I could give this a high rating just for the sex. Those were intense D/s scenes well before BDSM was established and the rest of the world caught up to it. But I’d be a shallow git if I recommend this just for the sex and romance.

Because this book is so much more. And K.J. Charles is a master weaver of brilliant historical novels. Novels that make sense. Stories that really matter.

This book makes you think. I mean really, really think. It calls into question your beliefs, morality and the pr

Vivian
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ng, romance-hist, fr
Where does one's fealty lay?

Dominic, so torn. Over the course of the story I felt such empathy for him. He was faced with a couple of critical, life-altering decisions, both of which had advantages and disadvantages to them. One required learning something for himself and the other allowing others to make their own choices.

Silas characterization is brilliant. The turns of phrase are humorous, illuminating and clever--a perfect guttersnipe. Equally intelligent men, but on different social ladder
SheReadsALot
Buddy Read with Adam and Cupcake

A tag-team review betwixt Cupcake and Baby can be found here:

4.5 Hearts--I was very happy for the future pairings in the Society of Gentlemen series. And this series thankfully features a different couple each book. But Cyprian, the redheaded valet/spy made an impression on me. Immensely. I was all over the ginger (go figure). He's cunning and bends the rules? I wanted to spring on top of him like...I dunno what. I wanted Cyprian like I wanted my next breath.
Moony Eliver
"We disagree without hatred, and fuck as we choose. If I were to give my idea of utopia..."
Here am I again, wishing I could give a better review to this book after my second read of it in less than 5 months. And still not feeling able to.
"Come to bed with me, you blasted radical. Bring me your revolution."
For me, this book is perfect. PERFECT. The character development makes me feel everything that Silas and Dom go through, to my very bones. I'm held captive by every page.

It's very, very
Ingie
Written December 20, 2015

4.8 Stars - Amazing well written, heartbreaking, painful, intensely hot and grand romantic good. My happy HUGE love!

Book #2

A Seditious Affair is the second part in K.J. Charles new historical (non paranormal) men loves men series, Society of Gentlemen. This M/M novel is telling the story about an unexpected secretly encounters (later love) couple, two men from completely different social classes, as we met as second characters already in #1-A Fashionable Indulgence (3.8
Emma Sea
My god, if I'd realised historicals could be that good I'd read them regularly. Charles had me at the verb 'to swive' and never let go. I didn't particularly love Flight of Magpies and I feel aggrieved no one grabbed me and shook me and said, "No, you don't understand, this is so much better!"

I highly rec this book to all.

Read for my 2016 Reading Challenge: #8. A book set in Europe (if you live in Europe, substitute with a book set in another continent) and as our MMQ January BoM
Jan
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jan by: Lisazj1
**** 4.5 Stars ****
Vanessa North
Jan 15, 2016 added it
Recommends it for: everyone with a pulse
Fucking ridiculously, spectacularly, goddamn obscenely good.

The best historical romance I've read in years.

If I were telling you about this book in person, I would be cussing my admiration in italics.

Just, go read this book, okay?
Ele
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Not Renee.

“Heaven in Hell’s despair. You’re mine, understand? Mine to the bone.” [...]

“I own you, Tory. Nobody else. No lackwit gentry-fuckster who doesn’t know how to treat you right.” His hand was around Dominic’s prick, fingers just touching, making him wait. Dominic’s fingers were clenched on empty air. “Like it’s a hardship to have those pretty eyes pleading. Like I wouldn’t want that pretty mouth telling me I’m the master here. Christ, the way you give it up to me. I own you.”

This book.
Ms. Smartarse
Bookseller by day, radical pamphleteer by night, Silas Mason has dedicated his entire life to fighting for the underdog. From rousing prose, to good old fashioned monetary donations, there's nothing he wouldn't do for a fellow citizen in need. A regular saint, one might say, if it weren't for his dirty little secret. Every Wednesday, Silas'll meet a certain upstanding gentleman, and make him submit to all his sexual whims. The stimulating conversation is just icing on the cake... or so he keeps ...more
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
The narration was stellar as I expected. The MCs were very likeable. The story however was just okay for me. Politics and bdsm…I wasn’t feeling it. At least I got a little more of the exquisite Julius from book 1. Love and adore him!!

I have high hopes for book 3. I’m hoping Richard and the mysterious Cyprian’s story turns out to be the best in the series.
Sofia
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Charles does not let one breathe in this one. From the very first is was straight into the fray and she did not let up until the very end.

Whilst A Fashionable Indulgence was a study in assimilation, this one, the second in the trilogy is a study in contrasts. Everything is pit against the other. Contrasts in wealth and circumstances, education, family and friends, sexual preferences, political beliefs, duty and self, duty and friends. Silas and Dom are such excellent vehicles so that we get both
Adam
BR with Wench and SheReadsALot

Another winner by K.J. Charles!

Wednesday by Wednesday, week by week, I have loved you.

I've basically been salivating for this from the moment that I put two and two together near the end of A Fashionable Indulgence. I knew that Silas and Dominic would provide the angst, romance, and hot sexin' that I look for in my MM historical reads. I was not disappointed!

This book takes off running. Dom and Silas have been secretly meeting for a year. Silas is everything Dom
DarienMoya
The Story: 4.5 Pants Off

KJ Charles has done it again!! Like this shit be mad hot fire and out of this world brilliant.

Silas is a cranky bastard, he’s a radical and he makes no illusions about who he is and what he believes in. Domenic Frey is on the other end of the spectrum, he’s a man with money and prestige who likes to get off in the seedier parts of town. What he doesn’t know is that his Wednesday hookups is none other than radical Silas, and the rest you can say is history.

There’s gonna be
Sara
Too many highlights.
Too many notes.
Too many instances of me sobbing like a fool over endearments, sentiments and things I have no business crying over.
Knowing what I did from book one about Silas and Dominic, this did NOT disappoint.
It was everything I could have wanted and beyond.
Dominic was consuming.
Silas was just a tat bit more.
I loved seeing the Ricardians as always.
It was lovely.
It was political and amazing and raw and ruthless and sexy as all fuck.
It wrecked me at only 2% and nev
Erth
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this very much. Right from the start I engaged with the characters, they were well drawn and I really cared what happened to them. The love story between two people from opposite ends of the social spectrum with separate belief systems was very moving. The dialogue was realistic for the time and Silas's London accent and use of swear words was of the period, which is often something other writers fall down on. I knew about the Cato Street conspiracy and was expecting that it would at l ...more
Elena

More heavy and focused on politics than the first book, which was to be expected since the MCs are a Tory and a radical.

On the opposite spectrum of political beliefs and ideals, Dominic and Silas meet because of Dominic’s unusual sexual desires and, in the course of a year of weekly meetings, they forge a connection of sexual compatibility and mutual respect. Silas learns to appreciate wine, Dominic expands his literature’s horizons and they both enjoy their discussions and thoughts-pr
Caz
I don't give out many A grades at AAR, and I've never given an A+. Until now.

The second book in K.J Charles’ Society of Gentlemen trilogy, A Seditious Affair contains all the ingredients I enjoyed so much in A Fashionable Indulgence, which I read in the summer. I was so impressed by Ms Charles’ writing and the wonderful way she wove the romantic relationship through a gripping story of social and political unrest, attempted murder and conflicting loyalties that to say I was chomping at the b
Ami
4.5 stars!

For the past year, gentleman official Dominic Frey meets his brute every Wednesday and embraces his submissive nature -- of wanting to be dominated and controlled with pain and rough sex. For the past year, Radical idealist Silas Mison meets his Tory every Wednesday and gives in what they both what in a darker kink side of sex. They don't share each other names. Until Dominic's job to capture the pamphleteer who wrote sedition under the pseudonym of Jack Cade brings Dominic into Silas'
Chelsea
Re-Listen - April 2018 - I love this story so much! But this time I definitely got more frustrated with the audio. Damn Silas whispers so much and I literally couldn't hear anything that was said. I'd crank the volume up just for them to shout at me in the next line, and those whispers were important...at least I think they were.

Review

I adore this series!

What a beautiful love story this was! Dom and Silas are absolutely gorgeous together (and sexy as all fuck!).

I super dooper loved this sex, al
Hollis
When it was a matter of dying on your feet or living on your knees, the answer wasn't as clear as you might have hoped.

Wow wow wow.

A SEDITIOUS AFFAIR was my first read by Charles but it will absolutely not be my last. This book is in fact the second book in the Society of Gentlemen series and while I normally try to avoid reading out of order I'm absolutely thrilled I did it for this set of books. Based on the interactions between book one's couple I'm a little unsure how I would like being in t
Sam (AMNReader)
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sam (AMNReader) by: Bubu
“Heaven preserve me from a man of principle.”

We fling about ‘favorite’ and as such it loses meaning. No judgement, no guilt even, but I have a lot of favorites. Who is my favorite band? What is my favorite season? I need some context, then perhaps I can answer.

Favorite romance is even a bit harder, and I think for a lot of good reasons

I’ve read some books this year. I have read and reread a lot of favorites. Some could easily win / intertwine/ challenge this book. The thing about that is, ther
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
BR with The Adam & Baby

Let me just say I continue to be dazzled by Charles’s writes. It’s clear she enjoys research something I find highly satisfying myself and I do appreciate any efforts toward depicting historical events accurately.

This series takes place during the Regency period and various actual historical events tie the Society of Gentlemen to their less affluent counterparts. That divide is highlighted in A Seditious Affair probably more so than any of the rest of the series. Possibly.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

“There really were no chains like the ones in your head.”

I was curious how K.J. Charles would handle this sequel since she had the relationship, without the POV of this book's couple and details, already existing in the first book. The backstory sounded fascinating so I was kind of hoping she'd start at the beginning to show them first meeting because it sounded like an fun event, and because I don't enjoy reading first books about established relationships. Still, I knew that wouldn't work sin
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I was wrong. Well, maybe not "wrong" per se but when I originally read this book I thought the reason I didn't love it as much as A Fashionable Indulgence was because it was overly political.

Wrong!

They're all fairly political, putting the differences between the gentry and the plebes in the spotlight, so no, it wasn't that. It's these characters. To be clear, I like both Silas and Dom but they aren't dynamic. Neither leap out at me. Not like Julius or Harry or even Cyprian.

I liked their journey
The Challenge Fac...: Kelsey & Lou - A Seditious Affair 37 17 Feb 07, 2016 02:17AM
M/M and Queer Rom...: JANUARY Book of the Month – A Seditious Affair 47 32 Jan 23, 2016 09:49AM
A Seditious Affair BR 18th Dec 15 124 34 Dec 24, 2015 07:33AM

• Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)
  • The Ruin of a Rake (The Turner Series, #3)
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • It Takes Two to Tumble (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #1)
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • The Soldier's Scoundrel (The Turner Series, #1)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Unnatural (Enlightenment, #4)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • The Gentleman and the Rogue
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Eidolon (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.5)
KJ is a writer of romance, mostly m/m, historical or fantasy or both. She blogs about writing and editing at http://kjcharleswriter.com.

She lives in London, UK, with her husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Twitter https://twitter.com/kj_charles
Join the lively Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/13876...
Sign up to the (infrequent) newsletter at http://kjcharleswriter.com/n

Society of Gentlemen (3 books)
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)