Start by marking “Mrs. John Doe (Nora Baron, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. John Doe (Nora Baron, #1)

Mrs. John Doe

(Nora Baron #1)

In the adrenaline-laced new novel of suspense from Tom Savage—hailed by Michael Connelly as “a master of the high-speed thriller”—an American actress in Europe races to find the truth behind her husband’s mysterious accident. What she uncovers makes her the target of a shocking conspiracy.

Nora Baron’s life is perfect. She lives on Long Island Sound, teaches acting at a
Published October 6th 2015 by Alibi

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. John Doe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. John Doe

Start your review of Mrs. John Doe (Nora Baron, #1)
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A fun read with quite a lot of unbelievability to it. Of course, Nora Barron is an actress and that's all the qualifications she needs to pull it all off.

Than again, why not? After all, it's so refreshing to have a protagonist amateur spy well after 40, with a young adult kid and a hubby to retrieve who just happens to be a prof spy. After all, women after a certain age happen to go invisible in our times. It's a cultural thing: we love to see our female protagonists really young and glamorous
Jonetta
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jonetta by: Wendy
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Nora Baron is a former actress now teaching acting at a college in Long Island, New York. She's married to Jeff who's currently working in London. When Nora receives a call that Jeff's been killed in a car crash, her trip to London to identify his remains sets off a wild adventure.

I deliberately ignored the book blurb as I didn't want to know anything more about this story than what I wrote above. This is high intrigue at its best where you never know who to
Wendy
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sep-15
In this fast-paced thrilling new novel by Tom Savage an American actress races to Europe to find the truth behind her husband's mysterious accident. What she uncovers is shocking and makes her the target of a horrific conspiracy.
An entertaining spy thriller with compelling, and at times witty, characters where no one is who they seem.
Tom Savage spins a web of suspense in Mrs. John Doe and I look forward to his next novel.
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a wonderful surprise! I had never read a book by Mr. Savage and I didn’t really research it at all, I just requested it.

I do not read a lot of “spy” type books so this one had me guessing all the way. Just when I thought I knew what was going on, bam, “sorry but you are all wrong Dorie”!

This book is told in first person, the narrator being Nora Baron . Nora gets a phone call telling her that her husband is dead and she must come to England to identify the body. She gets on
Linda Strong
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nora receives a phone call. Her husband is in France on a business trip. The man on the other end of the phone tells her that her husband has been killed in an auto accident and that she needs to come.

She had been expecting this phone call, but it still took her breath away. Arriving in Paris, she is taken to the morgue where she identifies her husband.

But is he really dead?

This book has it all ..... dead people who may not be dead ... secret coded messages from beyond the grave, arms dealers,
Julie

Mrs. John Doe by Tom Savage is a 2015 Alibi publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

'Tis strange- but true;
for truth is always strange;
Stranger than fiction.

Tom Savage is a master at hurling unforeseen plot twist at you, so it didn't surprise me at all that he opted to write a spy novel. Tom's writing style is absolutely perfect for this type of suspense thriller.

Nora is happily married with a college aged daughter, and a
Sherwood Smith
Copy courtesy of NetGalley

I don't often read thrillers, but the description of a forty-something actor wife and mother getting drawn into the shadowy, lethal world of spies caught my eye. I'm glad I requested it.

The beginning was somewhat slow going. Savage has a tendency to stop the story cold in order to furnish data, but once the action picks up again, it's tightly written and the pacing steadily accelerated to a cinematic and utterly satisfying ending.

There were sufficient twists and turns
Monnie
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book had me hooked from the minute I learned that lead character Nora Baron teaches acting at Stony Brook University on Long Island, New York. That's where our son earned a master's degree (in applied mathematics, though I hasten to add he didn't get that talent from me), so it was instant rapport. Alas, none of the action here took place on that beautiful but traffic-challenged island (well, at least on the Long Island Expressway), although Nora's previous on-stage and teaching experience ...more
"Avonna
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Mrs. John Doe is author Tom Savage’s sixth thriller and it is full of misdirection, intrigue, action, terrorists and international spies. The action and the characterizations are well balanced and move the plot along to ever increasing risks and consequences.

Nora Baron is an actress, acting professor, mother of a college age daughter and wife of a CIA operative. She gets pulled into the middle of an illegal arms deal when all she thought she would have was a minor role to play, but her husband
Melanie Johnson
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
You just can't go wrong when you read a Tom Savage novel. I couldn't wait to get my hands on his newest thriller, Ms. John Doe. It's so twisty and fabulous that I am afraid of giving any spoilers away by even telling you about the book. Nora Barton gets a call while she is in her New York apartment. Her husband has been killed in a car accident while on business in London. As she goes to identify the body, she realizes that things aren't quite as they seem and a wonderful, loopy, spy-like ...more
Debbie
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!
Wow! This story starts out our protagonist, Nora, is home alone. Her daughter is off to college and her husband is off one one of his many business trips. Then she gets a call from her husband's business partner. Her husband is dead. She needs to fly from the U.S. to the U.K. to identify his body, which she does. Next thing I know, she's going to Paris to look for her husband after receiving a note from a stranger which she knows is written by her husband. I quickly check my meds, yeah,
Angie
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
3-3.5 stars...

Mrs. John Doe was my first book by Tom Savage. It was a typical mystery-suspense spy thriller. It was fast paced, and held my interest. But it wasn't, at least for me, anything special. A good read, but nothing distinguishing about it. The characters are what you'd expect and were fun to read about for the most part. I wasn't really attached any of them, though except maybe my favorite, the French chauffeur;) Deception surrounds the storyline, and you have to be quick enough to
HornFan2 (Mike)
Thanks to net galley.com, Tom Savage and Random House Publishing Group-Alibi for the advance copy for my honest review.

Just never got into this one, Savage's writing was good enough to make me finish 'Mrs. John Doe' and glad I did. Having previously read Savage's 'Valentine', was the reason I wanted to read this one.

I just felt that the Craig Elder character, would have been a better choice to have as the main character verse Nora Baron, add in Solange Braure as his partner and still have Nora
Darcia Helle
Mrs. John Doe is a fast-paced thriller with a unique heroine. Nora is an actress and an acting teaching, and here she relies on her skills in ways she never expected.

I liked Nora's character. She's tough and self-sufficient, and she doesn't allow fear to cripple her. At the same time, she's not an obnoxious superhero who can do no wrong. The originality of her character intrigued me most about this book.

The plot carries us along at high speed, with lots of twists and turns. At times it feels a
Bandit
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
The superspies...James Bond, Jason Bourne and now Jeff Baron. Only the latter is considerably more domesticated and considerably less invincible, so his wife has to come to the rescue, because apparently all her experience as a theatre actor has prepared her for just such an action stint. Normally I don't read spy thrillers. They make entertaining movies, but who wants to read a movie. The sum of my prior experience with Savage was a disappointing Inheritance novel and the somewhat entertaining ...more
PopcornReads
When I agreed to read and possibly review Mrs. John Doe by bestselling author Tom Savage, I did it based solely on the publisher’s description. I didn’t realize that I had read and loved another novel by Tom Savage, A Penny for the Hangman (link to that review at the end of this one). A Penny for the Hangman had me marveling at Mr. Savage’s ability to twist a thriller into chilling knots and hairpin turns that made me bite my nails to the quick. He’s done it again with Mrs. John Doe, a ...more
Becky
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, fast-paced thriller. The mystery of who Nora could trust kept you guessing, although the bad guys were sort of obvious. I have loved everything this author has wrote, and although I enjoyed this one, it wasn't my favorite. It is the only one of his books in which I had the bad guys figured out. Good read.
Donna Davis
Tom Savage is master of the high octane, full-speed-ahead espionage thriller. Last year he gave us Penny for the Hangman, which kept me up late at night, and this year if anything he has improved upon it with Mrs. John Doe. Thank you to Net Galley and Random House-Alibi for the DRC. Now that’s I’ve finished it, I can breathe again!

Nora Baron is a widow. Her husband Jeff has been killed in the line of duty as a CIA operative in Britain. She goes to claim his corpse, get him cremated and take him
Lisa D - Sassy Cat Chat
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this latest novel from Tom Savage. A fun, thriller that had me burning the midnight oil turning pages. The plot line was well written, full of surprises and twists and anything but sluggish. The characters were all well written and had enough complexity to keep the reader intrigued.

Mrs. John Doe is a satisfying read for lovers of many genres of literature. As a lover of mystery, thriller, crime style books this one had enough suspense and kept me engrossed from cover to cover.
Pattyh
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nora Baron is a regular everyday woman who lives a normal life, has a normal family, until one day she learns that her husband has been killed and she must go to France to identify his body. Nora is thrown into a dangerous situation from start to finish and this is one thrilling ride. This spy thriller will have you on the edge of your seat. Written with smart and compelling dialogue, you will find yourself lost in the streets of France and praying that Nora will find the answers she needs ...more
Tanya Brough
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
John Doe is the name everyone uses when a person is unknown, no identity available. Imagine Nora's shock when her husband has died, but is considered a John Doe, and then his personal effects are stolen on top of it all. Nora soon feels like the proverbial secret spy when she tries to figure out the mystery behind her husband's death. Another Tom Savage killer read!!!
Patricia Moren
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fast moving, action packed thriller that doesn't stop until the final word. Really keeps you going the whole way through, lots of twists and turns; false presumptions and daring do. Great fun and a fantastic read.
Jill Elizabeth
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a very fun find this was! Spy books and I are old friends - I started reading them just after the end of the Cold War and was hooked... Back in the day, it was much easier (I imagine) to write one: the good guys (the US) and bad guys (the USSR) were clearly delineated, easy to find, and everyone's motives were (relatively) straightforward. It was Us vs. Them, which makes for a lot of drama -
particularly when paired with recognizable and dramatically contrasting backdrops and major players.
Joanne Robertson
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I hadn't read any Tom Savage books before so was unsure what to expect but was drawn to the plot of his latest spy thriller as I love a good "strong woman" story!
Nora Baron is a 40 something ex actress who now lectures in the field. A phone call unexpectedly one day sends her flying off to London to collect the body of her husband who has been killed in a car crash. But something is not right and a note passed to her sends her off to Paris, France on the trail of the truth.
This is a fast paced
Maxine
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nora Baron is an actress, teacher, mother, and the wife of a CIA agent. When she receives a distressing phone call informing her of her husband’s death, she rushes to England. Soon she embarks on her own investigation into what really happened that will lead her into a deadly cat-and-mouse game with some very dangerous people who are just as determined to keep the truth about her husband hidden.

Mrs. John Doe by author Tom Savage is a fast-paced suspense-filled novel full of twists and turns and
Darcy
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this one but as the book went on I found Nora to be TSTL. She blindly went from one location to another on the basis of clues that she thought were from her husband. But at each location things got crazy and she was sent on a wild goose chase. At 35% I realized I didn't really care of Nora got to the end of her hunt, if she found out what happened to her husband. In the end this one wasn't for me.
Scott Parsons
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is first -rate thriller with a myriad of plot twists and turns. Mr. Savage has a deft hand with twisting the plot so many times that you never quite know what is going on. Like Nora (Mrs. John Doe) you are totally confused in distinguishing good guys from the bad guys. Hold on to your seat: you are in for a fast-paced ride.

Bring it on, Mr. Savage. I love your work.
Irene
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
good, fast paced espionage..... a bit far fetched at the end, but aren't they all??? nice thing i liked was the main-- Nora-- is a woman in her late 40s....
Mark
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mrs. John Doe was my first read by Tom Savage, which I tackled through a reading challenge in which I was prompted to read "an espionage thriller". I'm not a huge fan of these kinds of books, to be honest - but I chose one with a central female protagonist, which you don't seem to find too often in espionage fiction.

This was an enjoyable book, if you're a fan of this sort of thing. It's fast-paced and has a likeable heroine in Nora Baron, the central character, who is an actress and acting
Reesa Roberts
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. When you think you know what is going to happen next, you’re wrong. Like the author and characters. A bit unbelievable in some parts but it’s enjoyable.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Driver
  • The Shadow Girl
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Corps Justice Boxed Set (Corps Justice, #1-3)
  • Borderline (Lassiter/Martinez Case Files, #1)
  • Above Suspicion (Anna Travis #1)
  • Judging Judas (Tarnished Saints, #3)
  • Cancel the Wedding
  • Crime Song (Frank Marr #2)
  • We Were Killers Once (Brigid Quinn, #4)
  • Knight & Culverhouse Box Set (Knight & Culverhouse, #1-3)
  • A Study in Treason (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries #2)
  • A Scandal in Bohemia
  • Escape
  • Maybe: The Complete Series
  • Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure (Tara Holloway, #1)
  • To The Bone (Kate Reid #9)
  • Seven Years Dead
TOM SAVAGE is the USA Today bestselling author of A Penny for the Hangman, the Nora Baron series, and many other novels and short stories. His books have been published in fifteen countries, and his bestselling novel, Valentine, was made into a Warner Bros. film. Raised in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, he now lives in New York City, where he worked for many years at Murder Ink, the world’s first ...more

Nora Baron (4 books)
  • The Woman Who Knew Too Much (Nora Baron #2)
  • The Spy Who Never Was (Nora Baron #3)
  • The Devil and the Deep Blue Spy (Nora Baron, #4)