Start by marking “Murder & Matchmaking” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The young ladies of Hertfordshire are dropping like flies.

Miss Elizabeth Bennet could not be more pleased when the famous London detective Mr Sherlock Darcy makes it his business to solve the mystery of three young ladies’ deaths – not least because he shares her suspicion that there must be more behind the deaths than mere accident. But even she never could have guessed,
Paperback, 1, 215 pages
Published April 1st 2015 by Paper Road Press

To ask other readers questions about Murder & Matchmaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder & Matchmaking

Leslie

This is a really one of a kind P&P/ Sherlock / Regency mystery, gentle farce, romance, adventure story.

To be honest it isn't much of a mystery as that the killer is identified on the first page so that we, dear readers, have to wait for the rest of the characters to catch up with what we already know, and probably would have suspected.

It also isn't too much of a farce, except that Lydia is a Pug and the four other Bennet daughters aren't so much the jewels of the county but rather some sub
Debbie Brown
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff, 2017-jaff
This is a cute mashup of Pride and Prejudice with a Sherlock Holmes mystery with the author's tongue placed very firmly in her cheek. It's hard to take a P&P seriously that transforms Lydia into a yappy little pug dog and Mrs. Bennet into a stone cold killer of any beautiful young lady that might be competition for her four daughters. Don't worry... That's not a spoiler because Mrs. Bennet's evil side is revealed immediately in the first chapter.

Although P&P characters are dominant, char
Regan
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Light hearted and clever - every time Lydia does anything, I laughed! The references to the original are deftly and sometimes unexpectedly handled. I read this in one sitting and enjoyed it immensely.
Catnip
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In "Murder & Matchmaking" Debbie Cowens takes the classic tale of "Pride & Prejudice" and transforms it into a detective story. Sherlock Darcy arrives in Hertfordshire with his friend Mr Bingley to investigate a number of mysterious deaths of young ladies in the region. During the course of his enquiries he crosses paths with Miss Elizabeth Bennet who is conducting her own amateur investigation. However, fear not gentle reader, rather than following the classic whodunnit formula the murd ...more
Steph Shortcake
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
PD James eat your heart out - you have been owned. This detective story set in the world of Pride and Prejudice is entertaining, clever, and, to use a kiwi expression, "bloody brilliant". (Pun intended!)

It keeps the spirit of Pride and Prejudice, staying true to the characters and Austen's world, while at the same time bringing its own unique voice and story.

Debbie Cowens has seamlessly blended Fitzwilliam Darcy and Sherlock Holmes into a proud, disagreeable, logical, observant (and hot!) charac
A.C. Buchanan
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Murder & Matchmaking is heaps of fun but also very clever. It's a seamless mashup, seamless to the point I forgot it was a mashup at all (then again I also forgot mid-point about Lydia's...ahem... transformation and got very confused by her barking out of the window, but to be honest that just added to the enjoyment). This isn't an "...and zombies" style work, fun as those are - it's a thoughtful re-imagining with characters and deeds that, disturbingly, don't seem nearly as out of place as ...more
Octavie
Apr 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Mme Bennet est un serial killer décidé à mettre ses instincts meurtriers au service des perspectives de mariage de ses filles. Ok, j’achète! Tout s’annonce bien dans les premières pages, commodément fournies au lecteur indécis par Amazon : le style y est enjoué et les singeries du carlin nommé Lydia hilarantes. L’histoire avance et les scènes cultes de "Orgueil et Préjugés" sont jetées pêle-mêle - depuis l’insulte d’Élisabeth jusqu’à la disparition de Lydia, en passant par la controverse autour ...more
Angela Oliver
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A delicious concoction of Austen meets Doyle. From the opening sentence: "It is a truth universally known that a pug in possession of a good appetite must be in want of a biscuit" it is clear that you are in for a delightful read, and this proved to be the truth, indeed.

Now, call me a heathen if you will, but I have never read either "Pride and Prejudice" (not even the zombie version) nor "Sherlock Holmes", although I have a fairly decent understanding of both. "Pride" begins with a young woman
Patricia Ann
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an award from GoodReads. I would have preferred to give it 3.5 stars but from now on, I'll "round UP' in my ratings. The book was a quick, amusing read with a play on Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. We are led through the machinations and manipulations of Mrs. Bennet in her efforts to marry off her 4 "spinster" daughters, with the assistance of her Pug, Lydia. I agree, Lydia should be featured on the cover..
Dan
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: Debbie Cowens is a friend of mine, and Paper Road Press is a publisher I'm associated with. With that out of the way, I highly rate this book, especially for anyone who likes the classics and doesn't mind taking it with a solid dollop of dry wit and understated humour. I giggled all the way through this book, and read it much faster than I usually make it through a book because it was a delight to read, and very easy going, while still being devilishly clever. Long live the mashup!
Pauline Cowens
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Clever and funny,certainly not elementary (and I never did like pug dogs anyway!)
Ameya
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
How Lizzy Bennet meets Sherlock Darcy. A pastiche of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Sherlock Holmes, this novel brought me some laugh out loud moments. I love Jane Austen, though I have not read books by Arthur Conan Doyle.

The mystery of why beautiful girls are getting murdered, and who is murdering them, is solved for the reader in chapter 1. For the rest of the book, we find out through a number of characters’ perspectives, how Elizabeth Bennet and Sherlock Darcy deduce who the killer
Carol Perrin
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder & Matchmaking

Mr. Sherlock Darcy and Dr. Charles Bingley were invited to Meryton to solve three murders that have occurred around the town. All ladies had been beautiful: Charlotte Lucas, Emma Woodhouse, and Fanny Price, especially when the four Bennet daughters were considered plain looking. Well the competition had to be gotten rid of it the Bennet sisters were to have any luck at getting married. Darcy and Bingley were invited to Barton Park (Netherfield) by Sir John the town's mag
Katherine
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the premise of this book. Sherlock Holmes meets Pride and Prejudice. It was interesting that the author decided to drag in other Austen characters from Emma and Mansfield Park.
We find out on the second page who the murderer is and their motives.
But the end felt a little rushed. After spending all that time building up the characters and their relationships, the big reveal (at least to the characters) is surprisingly short and based on things we couldn't have seen.
It just felt a little
Susan
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: austenesque
After three deaths Mr Sherlock Darcy and Dr Bingley are called in to investigate by Sir John Middleton. Miss Elizabeth Bennet is pleased because she believed that none of them were accidents. But what could be the possiblemotive for these seemingly unrelated deaths.
An enjoyable quick tale though as a lover of mysteries finding out who the murderer is virtually straightaway was a bit of a let down.
Jessi
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very silly P&P/Sherlock mash-up. There isn't really a mystery to solve (since we find out who the murderer is immediately and get a lot of the story from that character's point of view), but the story itself is fun. The characters are familiar but have some twists - I really enjoyed Mrs. Bennet in this version. It was a fun read for my plane ride home, but it felt more like fanfiction than a fully realized novel that can stand on its own.
Sharon Derlan
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcy as Sherlock Holmes

The book is just fun. The story recalls both Jane Austen and Arthur Conan Doyle, without being pretentious. The book is not going to make any literary prize lists, but it is erudite and entertaining!
Sally
Quirky Jane Austen style murder mystery NZ author

Surprising fun to read, a short romp through Jane Pride & Prejudice & Sherlock Holmes by a NZ author. Look out for more.
Nikii
Aug 27, 2017
Joy Smyth
Sep 09, 2017
Laurel Ann Marie
rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2017
Sep 10, 2017
Matt Cowens
Apr 08, 2015
Diana
Jane Austen meets Sherlock Holmes. Need I say more?

Full review to come!
Robert R Stephany
Jan 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Dreams and Expectations
  • Mistaking Her Character: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Darcy and Elizabeth: A Most Unlikely Couple
  • Consequences
  • Into Kent (Darcy's Tale #2)
  • The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet
  • The Darcy Brothers
  • Accusing Elizabeth
  • The Falmouth Connection
  • A Constant Love: A Pride & Prejudice Continuation (Constant Love #1)
  • A Peculiar Connection
  • Darcy's Wager: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Aerendgast
  • The Secrets of Darcy and Elizabeth: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Suspicion at Sanditon (Or, The Disappearance of Lady Denham)
  • Implacable Resentment
  • A Winter Wrong (Seasons of Serendipity, #1)
  • Thursday's Child
“Mrs Bennet could not help but resent that a handful of pretty girls, even as corpses, attracted more attention from the gentleman than any of her daughters could merit.” 3 likes
“she was a congenitally ungraceful girl with a mortifying inaptitude for all accomplishments.” 0 likes