Start by marking “The Mistake (Sisters of Scandal, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mistake (Sisters of Scandal, #4)

The Mistake

(Sisters of Scandal #4)

Childhood love never disappears...

Published April 14th 2015 by Entangled: Scandalous

To ask other readers questions about The Mistake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mistake

Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Writing reviews of painfully mediocre books is sometimes the hardest. That's what we have here. It's a 2.5 star all day long. I just finished it and I barely remember it. I picked it up because I have a soft spot for unconventional h/h, rare as they are, and here we have a pregnant professional mistress (I am refusing to use the word courtesan) and a gardener. That was about the only unconventional thing about this book. Everything else about it was so depressingly formulaic. The characters didn ...more
Maria Rose
This riveting historical romance is the story of Adam and Julia. Friends when they were teenagers growing up in one of the poorer districts of London, the death of Julia's father left her with no one to provide for her future except herself. Though she realizes Adam would support her, the thought of them stuck in an endless cycle of poverty makes her take her future into her own hands, using the one thing she knows she has as a commodity - her beauty. 15 years later she is a well known courtesan ...more
WTF Are You Reading?
As one of the the most sought after courtesans to grace the upper echelons of the London peerage, Julia Forsythe's body has been the playground for some of England's most wealthy nobles.

Her heart however,  still remains in the keeping of her first love,  Adam Radcliffe.

When Julia finds herself pregnant, and  on the losing end of a contract with the sadistic Henry Eldridge, Marquess of Riverton.  She is determined to do whatever it takes to ensure the financial future of her unborn child with Eld
Amanda
The Mistake turned out to be a sadly apt title because it only took a few, short chapters for me to realize I had made a mistake in believing Lily Maxton could do no wrong as a writer. My bubble was bound to burst at some point. SIGH.

Honestly I’m still not sure whether this book was straight up horrible, or just not for me. Unlike its feelgood predecessors, the storyline here was quite bleak in both content and tone and featured very unhappy people who ultimately find some semblance of happiness
Frederic
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical-ro
Historical romance is not my first choice when I am picking a book. I always had a love-hate relationship with them. Some are very good, other are quite dreadful. It has been a while since I read one. I decided to give a try to The Mistake while praying I haven’t made a mistake by choosing it.

I loved Adam from the get go. He is all about integrity and he was willing to do anything for love. When he was sixteen and saw Julia with another man, he’s been heartbroken. To this day, he was never able
Noura
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like Lily Maxton's writing style. I find the story easy to follow and the descriptions of the scenery and dramas not too draggy that it takes up much of the paragraphs. Although i felt a bit frustrated in some parts of the book where Julia, the main character here takes too long and thinks too much about too many things, it is explained well almost immediately after as to the reasons why she is as such. I love the hero, Adam - the quiet, strong man who has been in love with her and has never l ...more
Andrea
Feb 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
02/10: Kindle edition on sale for €1.76
Tin
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
With all three Middleton sisters getting their happily ever afters, I wondered who Lily Maxton would feature as the next "sister of scandal" and I was really looking excited to see that Julia Forsythe was the heroine of the fourth story. Julia Forsythe is a courtesan, and the author of the very scandalous book, Confessions of a Courtesan. When I read the blurb, I was intrigued: Julia is pregnant with the Marquess of Riverton's child. Their relationship has turned sour, but she is still under con ...more
Becky
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although I'd loved the other books in this series ( The Wager , The Affair , and The Love Match ), I just wasn't sure about this one. The heroine was an infamous mistress? Pregnant with another man's child? But hey, it was by Lily Maxton, so...

I should have known better than to be worried. It was better than a good read--it was absolutely lovely.

Julia and Adam have a past--they grew up together in a not-so-nice part of London, where Adam gave himself the role of her protector. Julia escaped th
Sheila
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A completely engrossing historical romance! This is a little different than my usual reads but I was engrossed from the very start. I was provided an ARC by the publisher for an honest review.
Julia and Adam had grown up the best of friends in London, 1802. They both loved one another but Julia felt like if she stayed with Adam she would be dooming him to a life of poverty without ever a chance to escape or make something better of himself. So she took off without so much as a goodbye when they w
Linda
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I read the blurb for this book I had huge reservations if I could like a heroine who was a mistress to another man & pregnant with his child but I'd read & enjoyed another of her books so decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did!

Julia Forsythe was the child of a successful merchant but when her mother dies in childbirth her father gives up on life & gambles and drinks in excess with total disregard for his daughter. Soon the only thing they can afford are rented rooms in tene
Amy Alvis
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a Sisters of Scandal novel.

15 years ago, Julia Forsythe made a life changing decision. Her father had passed away and with no living relatives to turn to, she decided to become a courtesan leaving the life that she knew behind. Her only regret was leaving behind her friendship with Adam Radcliff.

Julia now finds herself pregnant with her latest protector's child. When she is allowed to spend the next month at his country estate, she couldn't be happier. That is until she runs into Adam wh
Tera
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
While it was good and although i did like The Mistake it was also kind of a slow book. Felt it could of had a better plot although with it being in a series my dislike could be because I haven't read the others. Despite that it was still a nice read that i would probably recommend.
arc from NetGalley
Book Gannet
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
There were a few things that stopped me from enjoying this novel. Firstly, I read the next book in the series (The Improper Bride) before this one. Since the hero of that one, Lord Riverton, is actually the bad guy in this, I struggled to match up the cold, ruthless bastard who has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever, with the man in that book.

Secondly, and most importantly, I found it really hard to believe that Julia would have ended up in this situation. The idea of a mistress with f
Gigi staub
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-entangled
Childhood love never disappears...

Infamous courtesan Julia Forsythe is the former mistress of a ruthless marquess. She’s also expecting his child. But while she longs to flee from his cold clutches, the welfare of her unborn babe prevents it. Now she must find a way to remain a “mistress” in name, if not in deed. And her plans are only complicated by a growing affection for the estate’s head gardener...

Fifteen years ago, Adam Radcliff once shared a close friendship with Julia. Now they stand wo
Lindsey Gray
*Tissue WARNING* Grab a box before you start reading. You’re going to need it.

Anne and Olivia Middleton learned of the erotic non-fiction novel, Confessions of a Courtesan, in The Wager. The fourth offering in the Sisters of Scandal series brings us the tale of the author of that particular volume and what is changing her entire world at the moment.

After fifteen years as a courtesan, Julia Forsythe is experiencing her first pregnancy. The father, a handsome ass by the name of Riverton, is using
A Reader's Heaven
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

Fifteen years ago, Adam Radcliff once sh
Heidi
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion and a review.

Julia Forsythe made a hard life altering decision 15 years ago, After her father sadly passed away and with no one to turn to, she has decided to become a courtesan, she leaves everything including the very life that she knew behind.

She had but one regret and that was leaving behind her friendship with Adam Radcliff.

Julia is now trapped and pregnant with her latest protector's child. When he finds out t
Jasmyn
This was one of the more interesting historical story lines I've read. Julia is a mistress - a fairly famous one. But she's found herself in a rough place with a man that is not very nice. He ships her off, pregnant and a little worried, to his country estate. She hopes to find some quiet and time to think - but instead she runs into her childhood sweetheart. Uh oh! Here's where she should have been open and honest, but she neglects to tell the whole truth instead - shame on her.

Adam is a garden
Kathie (katmom)
Happy Release Day!!!

While this is the fourth book in the series, it can be read as a standalone. I do appreciate that!

This is a quick read, but doesn't lack a beginning, middle or end. Julia is pregnant and is not fond of her protector at all. She realizes his charm at the beginning of their contract was all a facade. She'd walk away, but she has the child to consider. While I didn't understand her choices to begin with, as the author showed us the past, it made sense. There really weren't a lot
Rosemary K
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can a courtesan find true love and a HEA? Julia Forsythe wants to be with Adam Radcliff with all her heart. They once had been close friends, before she ran away. When they meet again after fifteen years, the closeness and desire are still there. Now she's notorious and with child by a ruthless lord who has cast her aside and he's a respectable man. Do they stand a chance to rekindle their love? Julia is a strong woman who shows a brave face to the world. She is still haunted by her father's rej ...more
Isha Coleman
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

A beautiful story about escaping a bad situation and rectifying bad decisions. It is also a story about reunited love. Will escaping one bad situation lead to creating another more explosive one? I received an ARC of The Mistake by Lily Maxton for an honest review. Ms. Maxton created an emotional story. This is a story that shows trying to be a better person and make smarter choices does not prevent making mistakes along the way.

Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Mistake-Entangl...

Barnes and
Vero Stro
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is Book 4 in the Sisters of Scandal Series. It can be read as a standalone. What I like the most about Ms. Maxton's books is that although they are historical, they depict normal people,There are barons, earls and aristocracy but the main characters in the books are gardeners, courtesans,booksellers and this is refreshing to me.

This is the story of Adam and Julia. They are two wonderful characters with rich personalities and a very engaging story.I highly enjoyed it.

I received a copy by th
Ltlmer2
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This one dragged dreadfully. Way too much angst and lack of communication for me and some scenes were just plain uncomfortable. I just couldn't find the romance much in this one. Odd that this story, with so little plot development, is the one that is a full length novel. I would much rather have had more from the first two novellas of the series.

2.5 stars for the rare fun dialogue and different types of characters.

it seems that Lord Riverton is the hero in the next book. Not sure about how th
Brittany
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this from Netgalley/ Entangled Publishing in exchange for an honest review. I LOVED THIS! It was hot, heart warming and just overall a great read. We have met Miss. Fairchild in book one and now we get to learn what happened to her. I loved everything about this book and will definitely be reading more from this author.
Chrissy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*****I received this book, in exchange for a honest review****

I am not good with words, but let me just tell you, I Really enjoyed this book. It hooked me from the first page..... This is a must read, get it today! You will LOVE IT!!!!!
Sandra R
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I simply adored this gem of a book. A Courtesan and a Gardener !!! 5 stars. Romantic and well written. (Mature readers only)
Jan
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
A short book---a novellete? I wish it had been full-length because the characters were great.
Ke
Jun 24, 2016
Christie
Jun 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 19, 2015 06:38PM
  • The Lady's Disgrace (Marriage Mart Mayhem #3)
  • Guarding His Heart (Half Moon Bay #3)
  • Temptation Has Green Eyes (The Emperors of London, #2)
  • Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires (Secrets at Thorncliff Manor, #1)
  • How to Beguile a Duke  (How To, #1)
  • What the Earl Needs Now
  • An Artful Seduction (The Infamous Somertons, #1)
  • How I Married a Marquess (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Sins of a Duke (Scandalous House of Calydon, #3)
  • 30 Nights
  • The Millionaire's Forever (Seduced by Love, #1; Men of the Zodiac, #3)
  • I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm (The Lords of Worth, #1)
  • A May Bride (A Year of Weddings, #6)
  • The Bouquet List
  • A Sword for His Lady (Courtly Love, #1)
  • Revenge Best Served Hot (Men of the Zodiac, #6)
  • A Sinful Deception (Breconridge Brothers, #2)
  • How to Train Your Baron
Lily Maxton grew up in the Midwest, reading, writing, and daydreaming amidst cornfields. After graduating with a degree in English, she decided to put her natural inclinations to good use and embark on a career as a writer.

When she’s not working on a new story, she likes to tour old houses, add to her tea stash, and think of reasons to avoid housework.

Sisters of Scandal (5 books)
  • The Affair (Sisters of Scandal, #1)
  • The Wager (Sisters of Scandal, #2)
  • The Love Match (Sisters of Scandal, #3)
  • The Improper Bride (Sisters of Scandal, #5)
“There was nothing ethereal about Adam Radcliff. He was far more connected to the land than to heaven--elemental, primitive…virile.

No, she thought firmly, forget about that last one.”
1 likes
“Was this what her life would be? Love pressed carefully into the pages of a book, where she
could admire it from a distance and never be hurt by it?”
1 likes