Start by marking “Code Black (Paranormal Crimes Division, #1)” as Want to Read:
Code Black (Paranormal Crimes Division, #1)

Code Black

(Paranormal Crimes Division #1)

Gossip mag reporter Sera Benenati knows a thing or two about unearthing secrets...and burying them. As an unregistered supernatural, her freedom depends on keeping her fire-wielding abilities contained. Yet the threat of a little flame isn’t enough to snuff out her journalistic pursuits. She’s determined to claw her way to the top and land a spot with a real paper.

When sh
Published October 1st 2015 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Code Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Code Black

Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 4.5 Stars *****

description

I loved it, and I can't wait to read more. This is a unique fantasy story because it involves vampires, shape shifters, mythological gods, and zombie like thingies called phages.

Sera is a broke journalist. One day she got a tip about some murders. When she went to go investigate, she was attacked by a dangerous group. She had to use her uncontrollable powers to defend herself.

Agent Talon heard about the attack. More than 20 people died that night, but only one survived with
Maya
ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

BASICS

POV? (view spoiler)
Love triangle? (view spoiler)
Cheating? (view spoiler)
HEA? (view spoiler)
Any Descriptive Sex w/OW/OM/Ex? (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? Gonna read the next one in this series for sure.
Rating: -5 stars

Review

I am soooo happy to have been given this book as arc.
Lydia
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"I know it's too soon, but I can't change how I feel. I love you, Sera." - Talon Rede

Well, it seems like shapeshifters are my thing these days or something. I've been reading way too many books with them - especially military romances WITH shifters in them - lately. Now, this works in two ways. One of them is, I'm all hyped and stuff about them, which is what happens whenever I stay focused on one genre for more than one book. The other... Well, the other is sort of negative. Since I'm used to t
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I received this ARC from City Owl Press via NG in return for an honest review

"The neurons in (my) brain fired on two different planes of thought. One was (mine) and the other belonged to another, an entity..."

Okay my lovelies, let's hop straight to the plot!

Serafina Benenati's life has never been normal.
A freakish voice comes from her subconscious- antagonizing and irritating as anything.
She's trying to become a serious journalist but no one will give her the time of day.
Frustrated. Irrita
Danielle Gypsy Soul
This was my first book by Tina Moss and the first in a new series. Sera is a reporter who is trying to write a story that will get her taken seriously. She is trying to get information on a murder and so contacts Talon, the special agent in charge of the investigation. Although he doesn't answer her questions the two end up talking on the phone for 2 hours. The two end up meeting each other when Sera is the only survivor in a gruesome murder spree where 22 people are dead. Talon comes to believe ...more
Marie
You all know how much I love the paranormal! This was good, I mean really good. It starts a little gruesome though. There are some murders committed by someone or thing. They lead, Gossip mag reporter, Sera Benenati to investigate in an effort to make herself a name as a serious reporter. You can already see where this is going to be bad and possibly good! Her investigation brings her into contact with Special Agent Talon Red who becomes her protector, along with his team, when determines that t ...more
Keri
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first from this author, and the first in a new series. I was pleasantly surprised. There are quite a few paranormals to wrap your brain around but in the end it gets explained quite well. I liked Sera, she was spunky and had a good sense of humor. Talon was as alpha as they come and I really enjoyed him coming to terms with emotion. There is quite story weaved in this book, that I hope will carry on to the next book and keep all our characters in play as I enjoyed them all, Jame, Bul ...more
Melissa
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A new paranormal series by author Tina Moss has you wondering what is going on from beginning to end as she throws curves one after another! With twists and secrets from every angle the characters don’t know what the truth is, who the bad guy is or what everyone is! Vampires, wolves, light energy beings and what the heck is the phage!

Tina Moss creates a society where paranormals are classified into three groups and subjected to registration and monitored by paranormal agencies. But what happens
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

CODE BLACK had a lot of things going for it, and luckily by the end it came together; it just took a while. When the story finally hit it's stride though, it was a pretty wild ride.

In this world, everyone knows about the supernatural, and the PCD (Paranormal Crime Division) is in charge of policing it. Agents who are shifters (interesting beings who can shift into ANY animal), vampires and fey work together to stop the more rogue elements of the supern
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
description

I absolutely loved this book. I needed something different and I found it.

Talon and Sera were made for each other. And all the action that follows them is great. Not a dull moment in the story.

Sera knows she is not fully human, but has no idea what else she is. She is a student taking journalism in college and gets lucky enough to land a phone interview with the top agent in the PCD. It is pretty much lust and first sound. Sera can't seem to get his voice out of her head, and doesn't really wan
Eva Millien
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
As an unregistered supernatural, Sera Benenati has to keep her fire-wielding abilities contained but as a journalist, she’s determined to land a top spot with a real paper even if she needs special agent Talon Rede’s help in this exciting paranormal romance.

Sera thought she landed the perfect scoop but she may have smoked out more than she can burn and the reader can’t help but get drawn into all the excitement as Sera and Talon learns that the murders were just a smokescreen. The chemistry betw
Beth
I received a copy of this title through Netgalley in exchange for honest review.
Sera Benenati is a reporter trying to get herself out the gossip magazines and into a real paper. She’s investigating a series of strange murders linked to SUBS (Supernatural or Undead Beings).
Talon is the lead investigator for the PCD on the mysterious murders. He is contacted by reporter trying to find out more about the case. Talon can’t seem to get over his attraction to the female report. With another grueso
Stacy
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I really dislike when I don't love a book. I hate having to write about what made it bad for me and I hate trying to decide what star rating to give it in the end.

I had a really hard time getting into CODE BLACK. The first thing that pops into my mind on how to explain it to you is this. You know when you are watching a sub-par movie and the actors sound like they are reading a script instead of actually living what they are saying? That is exactly how CODE BLACK read to me. It made it very har
loves 2 read romance
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was gifted a copy of this book for review.
Definitely a different take on the supernatural. I was entranced by this storyline. Sera is hiding from her demons unsure of who and what she is and a part of her is terrified to find out. She is forced to unleash her inner force once viscous creatures begin coming out of the woodwork trying to kill her.
Talon is a sexy shifter but also the leader of the PCD. It is his job to protect however he can't let his emotions enter the equation. He has his own
Corrine Pickering
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** Reviewed for Hooked on Books ***

Code Black - Tina Moss - 4 Stars

Sara is a reporter and an unregistered supernatural, she isn't quite sure what type of supernatural she is, she tries her best to keep her abilities hidden but things really aren't going her way. Then along comes Talon, she tries to keep her distance from him, however with everything going on, she has no hope.

Hooked On Books
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it

This has to be one of my favourite genres and I enjoyed this supernatural read, it's full of Vampires, Shifters, Phages and more. This book is certainly well written however, for me I felt
Whispers From
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sera has always known she was different. She is a reporter and went to interview a victim's sister. All the sudden she's surrounded by these creatures. She lets lose her power and leaves nothing but ash. She wakes up in the hospital and Talon is there. He is the leader of PCD and investigating the death of 22 people but Sera was the only survivor. Talon can shift into any animal and he knows Sera is special to him. Now she's got phages, vampires, and other creatures that go bump in the night, af ...more
D.B.
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*Insert Movie Guy Voice*

In a world full of paranormal creatures who live among us, an elite force of paranormal cops keep the peace. But there are fringe groups that conspire to seize control for their own kind, and humanity is caught in the crossfire.

Shape-shifters, vampires, and psychics? Oh My! Throw in gripping suspense, red hot romance, and a new supe on the block who could tip the balance, and you've got one hell of a great urban fantasy/paranormal romance read. A fast paced and fun read!
Angel Hatfield
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good Story and Characters Talon was an agent for the PCD and also the leader of his division and a shifter. Sera could call fire from her body and was learning to control it. Talon was as attracted to Sera as she was to him. Then Sera was kidnapped.
This was an excellent plot and overall story. The characters were off the wall, especially Talon and Sera, who had so much to go through, and how they grew. I loved it. I highly recommend to anyone that likes this genre.
**I received an ARC of this sto
Lisa
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The chemistry between Talon and Sera is hot and steamy but personal demons and outside forces create obstacles in their path to forever love. The story has strong, sexy, complex, but compelling characters and a fast paced, smooth flowing plot filled with lots of suspense, heat, action and romance.

The scenes are well written with vivid details that really brings life to the story leaves you eager to find out what it going to happens next.

I received this ARC from City Owl Press via NetGally.com i
Karen Chappell
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a special paranormal book,it not only has vampiries,and shape shifters,it introduces phages and others. There were a couple chapters were kinda slow,but they filled in the background story.
I really enjoyed the banter between Sera and Guy! I mean how many main characters have a voice in their head guiding them?!
If you like paranormal romance with action thrown in,this is one you dont want to miss. Tina Moss puts a unquie spin on the paranormal community and their interactions.
InD'tale Magazine
A unique mash up of all things paranormal, readers are treated to the unique crafting of a crime stopping force comprised of shapeshifters, vampires, and god-like beings!

Read full review in the 2016 April issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Suzan
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance fans
This is the first time I've read this author. I liked the characters and it was a good story, I was a little slow getting into it at first but I enjoyed the story and like the world the author has created.
Zeinab Dh
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this in exchange of an honest review, the book was amazing well written everything in it was just charismatic perfect captivating I recommend this to everyone you will enjoy every word and character
Raina Collins
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
New look at paranormal. I enjoyed a new take on where vamps and shifters come from. I hope there will be a book two.
Sherry Westendorf
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the story. Really kept me interested with the mystery and her abilities. I will be reading it again. I recommend it. I received an ARC copy for an honest review.
Chatel Casto
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Loved it!! Hope there will be more to come in this series. Great world, great take on the different supernatural creatures and amazing writing style.
Jeannie Zelos
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Code Black, Paranormal Crimes Division, Tina Moss

Review from jeannie zelos book reviews

Genre:  Romance, Sci-fi and Fantasy

This sounded a fun read and I’m always hoping for a new series that I can fall in love with....but first books in a fantasy series have a huge task. They need to introduce new characters, different paranormals, a new world setting and of course deliver a gripping story. For me this book didn’t quite make it – there’s promise there but I’m torn over whether I want to read more
Silvara Wilde
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Check out my other reviews, discussions and link ups at Fantasy of the Silver Dragon.

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Vampires, shapeshifters, psi, zombie-like creatures and Gods made of light? Add in a little mystery and police crime scene stuff and it sounds like the perfect book.

There were multiple point of views, which flowed nearly seamlessly. It was nice to see what other c
Mojca
***copy provided by publisher through NetGalley (in Bad Boys After Dark set)***

It's tough writing a review for this one. It should be easy listing all the things I didn't like, right, but the fact is, this could've been a good starter in the series, but I think the author bit off more than she could chew. There was just too much going on, too many (almost all of them) paranormal elements thrown into the mix. And one you have a lot, it's difficult juggling with it. There were humans, half-breeds,
Tina Moss is an author of urban fantasy, paranormal romance, romantic suspense, and New Adult novels. She lives in NYC with a supportive husband and two alpha corgis, though the males hog the bed and refuse to share the covers. When not writing, she enjoys reading, watching cheesy horror flicks, traveling, and karate. As a 5'1" Shotokan black belt, she firmly believes that fierce things come in sm ...more

Paranormal Crimes Division (2 books)
  • Red Alert (Paranormal Crimes Division, #2)