Start by marking “Boywatching” as Want to Read:
Boywatching

Boywatching

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The annual joint school dance (aka the Snog Fest) is looming, and Chloe and her three best friends are determined not to repeat last year's disaster, which led to Year 9's top Mean Girl, Maggie, humiliating them online as a pack of sad losers. First they need to figure out just what's going with the utterly incomprehensible yet strangely attractive St Thomas's boys - and s ...more
Published June 4th 2015 by Orchard Books

Sally
Apr 03, 2015 added it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I was reading an e-galley and in the end the poor ebook formatting got to me - for some reason any word with "fi" or "fl" was missing those two vital letters! Plus I just couldn't get properly into it. There were some gems in the narration (the one about idiots who can't spell: Know your enemy... or rather, no you're enemy. Hah!) but personally it just wasn't my cup of tea - I do enjoy books for all ages but every so often I'll stumble across one that reads a bit too young and I'm unprepared - I ...more
Jenny Baker
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Book Review: Boywatching by Chloe Bennet Chloe Bennet’s Boywatching is a charming, touching and often hilarious young adult story about the friendship of four teenage girls and their boy watching project. The highly entertaining characters and conversational style storytelling had me engaged from start to finish. The novel is narrated by the protagonist, Chloe Bennet, an intelligent, witty and sarcastic teenager who loves literature, especially Jane Austen. She has three best friends, Amy, Gemma ...more
Dee Who Shall Not Be Named
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
It’s a universally acknowledged fact that your teenage years are hard. HARD. H.A.R.D. Hard. They’re the years you spend obsessing over that boy in your chemistry class who isn’t aware of your existence. They’re the years of laughter, of tears, of sun-filled days, of being able to scream at your parents and not feel too bad about it, of losing friends and discovering new ones, of looking at the beautiful people and imagining what life would be like if you became one of them.

But most of all, your
Kelly
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
14- year-old Chloe Bennet and her three friends are by no means popular girls. When the annual joint school dance turns out to be a huge disaster for the four of them, they decide that the next dance has to be perfect. No more online humiliation or boys making them feel worthless. In order to achieve their goal, they first have to figure out the very attractive yet totally incomprehensible St Thomas’ boys. And so the science of Boywatching is born!

After reading the first couple of pages I alread
Vivien
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, first-reads
Thanks NetGalley!

This book is modern day Pride and Prejudice meets Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging.

The main character was my age and I found her situation super relatable and humorous. She's growing up and really wants a hot date to a dance. So, she and her friends make this excel chart thing. Kawaii

I thought that it was really cute how Chloe and her friends have this band. Each of these friends are completely different, yet they somehow remain friends. They all have different tastes in "men
Liz Hartevelt
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Boy Watching has an interesting summary and plot and I was really curious about the book and the story. It disapointed a bit. It wasn't bad and okay, but i don't know. I've missed things in the book and it was a bit childish. I'm not really an YA. Maybe YA's like it better.

Not that the book was bad. I like the end, but it was a bit cliché and expected. Some of the chapters are a bit boring or weird. Or maybe Chloe was a bit weird.

I like Chloe as a main character, she was nice and sweet.
Victoria
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because the bright cover caught my eye, but i don’t think i was ready for what it was about.
Chloe Bennet and her friends, who are obsessed with boys, take boy watching very seriously, and i honestly don’t think that i have related to anything more. From the language used to the scenarios throughout, i was instantly reminded of year 7 when all us girls cared about was being in a relationship. It was funny and really quite accurate. i throughly enjoyed it and i would definit
little bookworm girl
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I went in with high expectations. It wasn’t terrible , but it was just a bit disappointing. Next to nothing happened , and the author could have told the almost exact same story with at least 50 pages less. I really didn’t think it needed as many pages as it did as it made the story drone on and feel like it was never- ending , yet the ending seemed to cut off really quickly! However - it wasn’t all bad and the characters were very relatable.
El
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This book started of with really good potential but I soon tired of the amount of times Chloe said “I think that’s what I mean” or other phrases along those lines. But I did enjoy the plot and overall story. I also like the ending, very sweet.
Audrey Wilkerson
Oh I wanted to find Boywatching a snarky, amusing and engaging story that filled my requirements for a light and funny tale. But it didn't. It had all of the boxes ticked, but it just never got off the ground and soared.

The story of four friends who go to a British all-girls' school, they decide to approach the acquiring of boyfriends by using science. Keeping all of their data in a notebook, the girls observe the boys from St. Thomas, the brother school to Queen Mary's (where the girls attend)
Steve
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Our review originally posted at http://www.literaryweek.com

Boywatching is the debut novel from Chloe Bennet (though Chloe Bennet is secretly the pen name for established publisher and editor Val Hudson!) and is a perfectly good teen read. The book centres on Chloe, who is 14 years old, and her group of friends as they experience those oh so tough teenage years! The storyline is typical of books in this genre, but has some issues. The storyline at times feels dragged out, and a little jerky, and
Stella
This book was a bit of a tough one for me to get through.

While I found the four girls likable enough I didn't really relate to any of them and the characters ages really got me from the start, I just found it hard to take some things seriously. I did enjoy the way the book was written, it was very witty and I enjoyed that part of the book.

I didn't really like that we heard so much about Sally and Amy but never really heard anything from Gemma. I would have liked to see something from her in th
Erica
Apr 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, dnf
This review appears in full on What Am I Reading?

I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Rate: 1/DNF

My rating isn't reflective of the quality of Boywatching but instead highlights my inability to sink into the book's world and enjoy the tale.

Reasons Why I Couldn't Get Into Boywatching

1. Chloe, the narrator and the protagonist, sounded more like a middle schooler than a high schooler. This made all of her "problems" sound extra trivial.

2. I couldn't establish a clear t
Rachel A.
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I got this book for free on Netgalley for review, but it doesn't change my opinion on the novel whatsoever.

BoyWatching by Chloe Bennet is a light-hearted read about Chloe and her friends. I couldn't really say that they did much, because to be honest they didn't.

I didn't really like this novel. I felt like it was trying to be super intellectual and hilarious at the same time. Sometimes it was funny, but others it really seemed to be going nowhere.

I wasn't able to finish this book as it was rea
Robyne
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads, netgalley
Chloe and her friends are caught up in tons of teen drama in this hilarious book. They are trying to navigate the halls of their school with mean girls who want to torment them and teachers who want to make their lives hell. Chloe uses her wit to help her friends in their quest to learn about the opposite sex, boys. None of these girls have had good experiences with boys in the past so they are quite anxious to study up on the subject before their school's annual co-ed dance.

I found 50% of this
Luna
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
Boywatching is a kind of light-hearted escape read, it’s entertaining and had some laugh aloud moments (like what not to order in a café) – in short it’s fun.

But it’s not a short book. And therein lies my problem, yes I enjoyed Boywatching but I think I would have probably enjoyed it more if it didn’t feel so long. It’s nearly 400 pages and if I’m brutal I don’t think it needs to be, because not that much happens in the story. This book is about the day to day existence of Chloe and her friends,
Minn
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
A light and fluffy teen read, Hudson/ Bennet promises the science behind the title but it's really the subjective, opinions of some high schoolers - who, in all honesty were really difficult to relate to. The whole message of this book is basically BOYS ARE HARD TO UNDERSTAND. There's nothing new to the genre from this book, and it drags on quite a bit pairing the girls off with the St. Thomas' boys and getting Chloe into irrelevant adventures.

The writing style, a messy train of thought is kind
Mayte
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: have
Rated 3.5 stars.

I can identify myself a lot with this book. I understand how hard teenager years can be, and how difficult it is to make a choice that can, and will most likely affect us for the rest of our lives. Teen years are filled with joy, and sadness. Anger and understading. Love and hate. But at the end of the day we all go through it. It would be great if life was like a book, that’s why the end dissapointed me. It was completly expected and a tiny bit cliché, it could have been a great
Perks Of Being A Fangirl

One thing that I need to address is that crucial letters are missing in some words leaving us with 'st' and 'nd' which left me confused most of the time because I couldn't form a coherent sentence.

You would have thought that I being in year 11 at a girls school everything would be fairly relatable but sadly it's not. All the characters were too naive, some were plain annoying and I would have thought things would get better when the plot begins to devlop however I was proved wrong. I am actual
Rose
May 26, 2015 marked it as dnf
Shelves: young-adult
I received this book on Netgalley.

I have a great love for the Young Adult genre. Over the past few years I have read hundreds of titles and I am often pleasantly surprised by the creativity and depth that come out of the genre.

Unfortunately, Boywatching lacks both creativity and depth. In fact, it has very little to recommend it. In many ways it feels as though it was written by a fifteen year old. The writing is significantly below what it should be. There is writing for your audience and then
Dee Price
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads, favorites
After being humiliated by the school bully, Queen Bee Maggie, at the Snog Fest Chloe, Gemma, Amy, and Sally decide to take matters into their own hands. This year, they will find dates to the Snog Fest before QBM can do anything to stop it. Chloe devises a scientific method, complete with spreadsheets, to calculate which boys from the neighboring school the girls are compatible with. Putting their plan into action involves taking some calculated risks which seem to pay off for everyone but Chloe ...more
Isobel Radakovic
When I read the synopsis of this book, I expected it to be similar to Louise Rennison and other British contemporary authors, and I was exactly right. I liked this book, but this didn't have anything new that I haven't seen before. The main thing I disliked with this book is that the girls in this book are supposed to be the same age as me, but they just seemed so immature! Maybe I'm just mature for my age, but I definitely wouldn't do half the stupid things they did in this book. I also found i ...more
Susie  Price
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A laugh out loud book full of hormones, craziness and all things teenage! Boywatching was a lovely book which took me back to being a teenager and all those mixed up feeling surrounding friendships and boys. Chloe Bennet does a wonderful job of portraying this, with well developed characters who come to life and leap off the page. Boywatching is delightful whilst still managing to tackle teenage problems with empathy and sensitivity. Would defiantly recommend this book!
Brenda
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This reminded me so much of the Georgia Nicholson books by Louise Rennison. I liked those 10+ years ago, but the most recent one I read I didn't care for. So I think this type of book just isn't my thing anymore. There really wasn't any plot here. It was about young teenage girls going to school, hanging out, and talking about boys. That was seriously it. Just not enough to really hold my interest (even though I did finish it).
Nancy
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chloe Bennet is a funny and smart protagonist. Her observations on her and her friend's lives are perfectly real and relatable. Her happy ending felt a little quick but was still cute and satisfying.

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Margaret Pemberton
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great story of the trials and tribulations of a group of 4 friends as they try and prepare for the annual inter school dance. Funny and at the same time heart wrenching, this is a story for any girl from 10 years onwards.
Mari
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chloe and her friends reminded me of Georgia Nicolson and the ace gang - they're cute and funny and a little bit insane. And reading Boywatching was like hanging out with a dear old friend. Loved this!
Fxck Patriarchy
If only I could give this a zero
Absolutely S%&@ couldn't even get past the first chapter. God help....
Leo