Start by marking “The Lovers' Tango” as Want to Read:
The Lovers' Tango

The Lovers' Tango

Everything in Bill Shaw's life changed the moment he met the beautiful actress Nora Reyes. But as a writer, he feared their love story would have a tragic ending.

Fifteen years after that fateful encounter, Bill is in the DA's crosshairs: his research for a novel has eerie parallels to the circumstances surrounding Nora's death. In a harrowing progression of events, a murde
Published June 15th 2015 by Thunder Lake Press (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Lovers' Tango, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lovers' Tango

Start your review of The Lovers' Tango
Mark Rubinstein
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
How could I not love this novel. I spent uncountable hours, blood, sweat and tears working on it. It was a labor of love.
Matt
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-ebooks
Another gem from the Rubinstein workshop.

Crime writer Bill Shaw met actress Nora Reyes when she performed the Tango. They both fell in love, got married, were happy and successful. Fifteen years later Nora's been afflicted by a debilitating disease and eventually dies. Now Bill is accused of murdering his beloved wife and he has to stand trial.

The major part of this novel is set in the courtroom. Although the protagonists mostly sit or stand this is a fast paced thriller nonetheless. The lawyers
Carol Howell
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOODNESS! This book kept me from getting my work done. It is amazing, captivating, full of surprises, and I can't wait to read another book by Mark Rubinstein!
Debbi
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
(Thank you NetGalley for an early reader copy)

This is the story of writer Bill Shaw and lovely actress Nora Reyes, who meet at a party and immediately fall in love. Yes, Nora can tango, but the tango in the title refers to the dance between people in a relationship. For 15 years, Bill and Nora have the perfect (almost) relationship, their love deep and strong. And then Nora becomes ill with what is eventually MS, and as her body deteriorates, so does their life together. And finally, Nora dies.
Malise POLIXENE
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I definitely can tell "never judge a book by its cover"...
Well I'm not a fan of love story books, so if it wasn't written by Mark Rubinstein which I already knew through
3 others Novels ( Mad Dog Justice, Love Gone Mad, and Mad Dog House) I would never have read this one...And it would have been a GREAT MISTAKE !!
Lovers' Tango backstory is love, but the story is about a man who is accused of murder.
Bill Shaw is facing justice because of his wife's death.
His best friend will be his defense lawyer
Cathy Cuomo werner
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mark Rubinstein has done it again with his latest novel Lovers Tango. The story was original and totally engrossing. I couldn't put it down but had to pace myself to keep from finishing it too soon.
I love the way the characters come to life and are totally believable and relatable.
I have been a fan of Mark's work from the start and look forward to more stories.
Nancy Brady
Full disclosure: I received this novel directly from the author through a Shelf Awareness (Book Buzz) giveaway, but that in no way affected this review.

A novel within a novel within a novel may sum up Mark Rubinstein's tale of love, suspense, and murder. Or is it murder?

Told through the perspective of the protagonist, author Bill Shaw, it is his story of his intense love for actress Nora Reyes (from the moment they met) until her death. Accused of murder, and fighting for his own life in court,
Nick Rossi
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written with tenacity inspired by author Mark Rubinstein's real-life courtroom experience, "The Lovers' Tango" is an intense, passionate read that grips the reader from the very first page. Our main character here is famous crime writer Bill Shaw. Entranced by a random encounter with a woman dancing the tango, Bill finds Nora, said dancing woman, his wife. Their life is happy and joyful, until Nora dies.

Unravelling as soon as the funeral ends, Bill finds himself in a manic state. Detectives char
Babus Ahmed
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Bill Shaw is charged with the murder of his wife, Nora, his bestfriend offers to defend him. With an ADA out to make a name for himself, circumstantial and medical evidence against him, this looks like a long shot to convince a jury of his innocence.

An electrifying legal thriller, which takes place mostly in a courtroom. despite the fact I saw the twist coming the story presented multiple possibilities along the way and kept me turning the pages way into the early hours of the morning.

For
Stephen Campbell
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An extremely well-done combination of love story and legal thriller. The story of Bill and Nora is one that will stick with you. Mr. Rubinstein is a talented author who continues to up his game with each new book.
Michael
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Outstanding! Bill and Nora's story is so gripping and binding. Such suspense until the very end. Tugs at your heart every step of the way. Loved it and highly recommend it.
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review

Title: The Lovers’ Tango

Author: Mark Rubinstein

Genre: Crime/Romance/Psychological

Rating: *****

Review: Initially reading the blurb The Lovers’ Tango reminds me of the movie Basic Instinct and not in the sexually way, but it is a similar premise. There’s a murder an there’s also an author whose character dies in the same way as the actual dead person; there is also a romance, but apart from the premise the two are nothing alike.

The cover is also amazing as it give nothing away. There is
Lois
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Smooth-flowing and fluid as silk, The Lovers’ Tango: A Novel by Mark Rubinstein is a fast-paced read that one would dearly love to consume in a single sitting—the sensuality and suppleness of the text are ideally suited to the intimacy of the subject. In retrospect and through timely glimpses, the reader is invited to witness the attraction between the male lead, Bill Shaw, and his beguiling partner, in the dance of life that has now become one of death, in which Bill is ensnared as the most lik ...more
Angel Hatfield
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, mystery
Good Read, Good Characters **I received an ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review**Ben Shaw is a 30ish crime fiction author. Several of his books have been turned into movies. He sees Nora do the tango in a cafe. A man named Lee approached him after noticing him watch her and offered to introduce them. Nora offers to teach him to do the tango. She's an actress in a soap opera. 15 years later, Nora is dead. Ben was in such pain, first from Nora's illness and then with her death. A cou ...more
Dan Santos
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Step aside, Grisham!

Mark Rubinstein has produced a powerful courtroom drama; one to which no film could ever do justice, but which has the stuff to become a serious blockbuster when Hollywood starts making good movies again.

On June 24, 1935, precisely 80 years ago, a plane crash in Medellin, Colombia, took away the soul of the Argentinian Tango: Carlos Gardel. 80 years later Mark Rubinstein brought it back wrapped in the sensuous, sultry Nora. Rubinstein's artistry subjects the reader to intense
Irene
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bill's beloved wife Nora has only just been buried, but then finds himself arrested and charged with killing her. This is a snappy, to the point book with no long winded descriptions which makes a nice change! The irony of a crime writer being accused of the very thing He makes a living from. I don't usually choose court case dramas but this was definitely well worth reading. It was engrossing, thrilling and I was totally captivated by it, racing through the pages, watching how the opposing lawy ...more
Ann Lineberger
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once I started Mark Rubinstein’s enthralling page-turner, The Lover’s Tango, I couldn’t put it down. Love story, legal thriller and medical mystery, this captivating story within a story masterfully blends romance, tragedy and suspense leading to the novel’s unexpected and poignant ending. Multifaceted and entertaining, The Lover's Tango’s deftly appeals to a wide audience.

Bonnie
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking story

I bought this book based on a recommendation that I saw from author, Scott Pratt. I am very glad I did because it is a great book. It is a moving story and at times during the reading, it choked me up. I will seek out other books by Mr. Rubinstein.
Ginny
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twists and turns

The author slowly captures you as you turn the pages. Eventually you can't wait to see what happens next. Ultimately, you see the connections but not until the very end do you realize the truth. Fact and fiction so intertwined. Riveting!
Marla Picklesimer
OMG...I did NOT see THAT twist coming!! Just 5% in on this read & THAT happened...WOW, WHAT a twist!! Nora & Bill Shaw's story, captivating from Go. Emotions...suspense...AND more twist...WHAT a spectacular read!! ...more
Sally Corr
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
S shocking or maybe not s shocking read.

A true love story that shows how every woman wants to be as cherished as Nora was cherished. A thoughtful ending. A forgiving ending.
Lynn Russo Whylly
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I met Mark at a local library when he did a 'Meet the Author' event.

I found his book to be intriguing and full of twists that kept me on the edge of my seat. The ending will surprise you!
Catherine Kasten
Fantastic!

This book is great. I could barely put it down. The situation that confronts the characters was a difficult read for someone with a life long disease. I thought I started this book but didn’t read to the ending. Now I’m very glad I did. Click the button right now. You need to read this book!
Patricia Romero
Love, Thrills, Drama in the courtroom, suspense and a beautiful sensuality combine in The Lover's Tango.

Bill Shaw meets Nora Reyes and falls madly in love with her. The happily live the dream in New York City, their life as passionate as the Tango itself.
When Nora falls ill, then dies,
Before he can even absorb the gut-wrenching loss he has sustained, he is accused of murdering her.

Can he prove his innocence? Is he even innocent? The suspense was killing me!

The courtroom drama is as real as it g
Carole Sutton

• Low Pressure
  • Lessons From Lucy: The Simple Joys of an Old, Happy Dog
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Karamo: My Story of Embracing Purpose, Healing, and Hope
  • The Crime (Thaddeus Murfee Legal Thrillers #12)
  • Justice Redeemed (Darren Street #1)
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
  • Rainwater
  • Any Means Necessary (Luke Stone #1)
  • Reasonable Fear (Joe Dillard #4)
  • Eight Hundred Grapes
  • Where I Belong (Life of Willow #2)
  • Infinity + One
  • Deep Threat (Billy Beckett #1)
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
  • The Road She Left Behind
  • The Light in the Ruins
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
Mark Rubinstein graduated from NYU with a degree in business. He then served in the army as a field medic tending to paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division. After discharge, he re-entered NYU as a premed student.

As a medical student at the State University of New York, he developed an interest in psychiatry, discovering in that specialty the same thing he realized in reading fiction: every pat

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...