Jump to ratings and reviews

The Lovers' Tango

Everything in Bill Shaw's life changed the moment he met the beautiful actress Nora Reyes. But as a writer, he feared their love story would have a tragic ending.

Fifteen years after that fateful encounter, Bill is in the DA's crosshairs: his research for a novel has eerie parallels to the circumstances surrounding Nora's death. In a harrowing progression of events, a murder trial ensues. What exactly did happen between Bill and Nora the day she died? And what constitutes truth? Fiction and fact coalesce, as the lines between fantasy and reality, guilt and innocence are blurred. The Lovers' Tango, a story of deeply abiding love, culminates in a shattering conclusion addressing devotion, commitment, and the meanings of truth and justice.

352 pages, Paperback

First published June 1, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mark Rubinstein

22 books808 followers
Mark Rubinstein graduated from NYU with a degree in business. He then served in the army as a field medic tending to paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division. After discharge, he re-entered NYU as a premed student.

As a medical student at the State University of New York, he developed an interest in psychiatry, discovering in that specialty the same thing he realized in reading fiction: every patient has a compelling story to tell. He became a board-certified psychiatrist.

In addition to his private practice he became a forensic psychiatrist because of the drama and conflict in the courtroom. He also taught psychiatric residents, interns, psychologists, and social workers at New York Presbyterian Hospital, and became a clinical assistant professor at Cornell University’s medical school.

He is a contributor to Psychology Today and The Huffington Post.

Before turning to fiction, Rubinstein coauthored five medical self-help books: The First Encounter: The Beginnings in Psychotherapy (Jason Aronson); The Complete Book of Cosmetic Facial Surgery (Simon and Schuster); New Choices: the Latest Options in Treating Breast Cancer (Dodd Mead); Heartplan: A Complete Program for Total Fitness of Heart & Mind (McGraw-Hill), and The Growing Years: A Guide to Your Child’s Emotional Development from Birth to Adolescence (Atheneum).

Rubinstein's high-octane thriller Mad Dog House was a finalist for the 2012 ForeWord Book Of The Year Award for suspense/thrillers. His 2nd thriller, Love Gone Mad, was published in September 2013 and his novella, The Foot Soldier (November 2013) won the Silver award in the 2014 Benjamin Franklin Awards competition, in the Popular Fiction category. His novel Mad Dog Justice (September 2014), tagged as a "pulse-pounding tale of post-modern paranoia," is a finalist for the 2014 ForeWord Book of the Year Award. His novella, Return to Sandara, won the Gold Medal for suspense/thrillers in the 2015 IPPY Awards. The Lovers' Tango, is a medical and legal thriller about which Michael Connelly said, "The tension on these pages never lets you go. Rubinstein is a born storyteller." The Lovers' Tango has won the Gold Award in Popular Fiction for this year's 2016 IPPA Benjamin Franklin Award.

Bedlam's Door: True Tales of Madness and Hope, was published in September 2016. Beyond Bedlam's Door: True Tales from the Couch and Courtroom was published on May 15, 2017.

Rubinstein's new book MAD DOG VENGEANCE, the 3rd in the Mad Dog Series, will be out on October 15, 2017.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews
Profile Image for Matt.
752 reviews511 followers
June 4, 2015
Another gem from the Rubinstein workshop.

Crime writer Bill Shaw met actress Nora Reyes when she performed the Tango. They both fell in love, got married, were happy and successful. Fifteen years later Nora's been afflicted by a debilitating disease and eventually dies. Now Bill is accused of murdering his beloved wife and he has to stand trial.

The major part of this novel is set in the courtroom. Although the protagonists mostly sit or stand this is a fast paced thriller nonetheless. The lawyers perform their own kind of dance, although this is not one of the loving kind. For me it was most interesting to see the US jury trial at work, from the selection of the jurors to the final verdict. Truth and justice is what they seek ... officially. What they actually uncover and by what means is another matter entirely. A further complication arises because the real circumstances of Nora's death are not entirely dissimilar to the fictional content of the current book, Bill Shaw is writing. There's much room for speculation, which is exploited heartily by the lawyers.

As a psychiatrist who has also appeared as an expert witness in court, Mark Rubinstein has a lot of experience. Notably in his book Love Gone Mad, and even more so in The Lovers' Tango.

Unconditional recommendation for readers of this genre!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Profile Image for Mark Rubinstein.
Author 22 books808 followers
May 29, 2015
How could I not love this novel. I spent uncountable hours, blood, sweat and tears working on it. It was a labor of love.
Profile Image for Carol Howell.
Author 3 books6 followers
May 11, 2015
OH MY GOODNESS! This book kept me from getting my work done. It is amazing, captivating, full of surprises, and I can't wait to read another book by Mark Rubinstein!
628 reviews10 followers
May 6, 2015
(Thank you NetGalley for an early reader copy)

This is the story of writer Bill Shaw and lovely actress Nora Reyes, who meet at a party and immediately fall in love. Yes, Nora can tango, but the tango in the title refers to the dance between people in a relationship. For 15 years, Bill and Nora have the perfect (almost) relationship, their love deep and strong. And then Nora becomes ill with what is eventually MS, and as her body deteriorates, so does their life together. And finally, Nora dies. But did MS kill Nora, or was she murdered?

When Nora dies, Bill is charged with murdering her. We watch Bill's trial as his friend and attorney Ben Abrams, navigates through the traps and political maneuvering of young ADA Sean Olson, who sees the trial of a famous author as his stepping stone to success. Sean will stop at nothing to obtain a conviction.

There are many layers to the story; what does Bill's most current novel, the Assassin's Lullaby, have to do with Nora's death? What does he do at Starbucks each week? Who is the woman he meets there? As we participate in the trial, it's hard to know what's truth, and what's not. Was it a mercy killing, or the result of the many drugs Nora was on? You'll find it all out at the end!
Profile Image for Malise POLIXENE.
22 reviews
June 15, 2015
I definitely can tell "never judge a book by its cover"...
Well I'm not a fan of love story books, so if it wasn't written by Mark Rubinstein which I already knew through
3 others Novels ( Mad Dog Justice, Love Gone Mad, and Mad Dog House) I would never have read this one...And it would have been a GREAT MISTAKE !!
Lovers' Tango backstory is love, but the story is about a man who is accused of murder.
Bill Shaw is facing justice because of his wife's death.
His best friend will be his defense lawyer and will have to undo all the prosecutor's arguments to save him from prison.
Did he do it ? I couldn't put the book down until I knew and even when the jury delivered its verdict, we get to be surprised by what happened next.

June 19, 2015
Mark Rubinstein has done it again with his latest novel Lovers Tango. The story was original and totally engrossing. I couldn't put it down but had to pace myself to keep from finishing it too soon.
I love the way the characters come to life and are totally believable and relatable.
I have been a fan of Mark's work from the start and look forward to more stories.
Profile Image for Nancy Brady.
Author 4 books36 followers
February 22, 2016
Full disclosure: I received this novel directly from the author through a Shelf Awareness (Book Buzz) giveaway, but that in no way affected this review.

A novel within a novel within a novel may sum up Mark Rubinstein's tale of love, suspense, and murder. Or is it murder?

Told through the perspective of the protagonist, author Bill Shaw, it is his story of his intense love for actress Nora Reyes (from the moment they met) until her death. Accused of murder, and fighting for his own life in court, Bill tells the tale of the courtroom drama playing out against his own memories of the life he led with his beloved wife.

Will he be convicted of his wife's murder? Will his manuscript of his 'Assassin's Lullaby' be evidence of his murderous intent...making him guilty?

Suspenseful action, mesmerizing dialogue, and a compelling love story makes for an intense (can't-put-it-down) read.

Quotes to remember:
"Every love story has a tragic ending: either the lovers grow apart or death takes them from each other." (p. 327)
"There are no happily ever afters--least of all, in life." (p.327)

Very few what-the-tuck trends seen...a pencil skirt was mentioned, but that may be it for WTT trends, which was refreshing.
Profile Image for Nick Rossi.
166 reviews4 followers
October 23, 2015
Written with tenacity inspired by author Mark Rubinstein's real-life courtroom experience, "The Lovers' Tango" is an intense, passionate read that grips the reader from the very first page. Our main character here is famous crime writer Bill Shaw. Entranced by a random encounter with a woman dancing the tango, Bill finds Nora, said dancing woman, his wife. Their life is happy and joyful, until Nora dies.

Unravelling as soon as the funeral ends, Bill finds himself in a manic state. Detectives charge Bill with the second degree murder of his wife, forcing him to put his bereavement on hold while attempting to articulate his innocence in his wife's death. Finding himself like the many subjects that Bill had written about for many years, he is subject to merciless questions and accusations, not to mention witness testimonies, in a seemingly never-ending courtroom debacle.

It is only a matter of time before fact and fiction merge together as Bill's story unfolds. It comes to light that the research that Bill had been conducting at the time of Nora's death is eerily similar to the events that surrounded his wife's demise. What plays out is an intriguing thriller, as well as a love story, of what defines truth and innocence, of guilt and lies, and what truly constitutes a union between two people. The allegory of the Tango plays into Bill's predicament with its passion and sharpness.

Rubinstein shines in his depiction of courtroom jargon and forensic science, clearly representative of his true life experience. There is a sense of urgency and intensity in his words that ensnares the reader until the very last word is read. While the subject matter can get a bit gruesome at times, the themes of redemption and revelations prevail in The Lovers' Tango.

Like this review? Read more like it at www.readingotherpeople.com
Profile Image for Babus Ahmed.
792 reviews43 followers
October 2, 2015
When Bill Shaw is charged with the murder of his wife, Nora, his bestfriend offers to defend him. With an ADA out to make a name for himself, circumstantial and medical evidence against him, this looks like a long shot to convince a jury of his innocence.

An electrifying legal thriller, which takes place mostly in a courtroom. despite the fact I saw the twist coming the story presented multiple possibilities along the way and kept me turning the pages way into the early hours of the morning.

For fans of medical and legal thrillers this book would be a shame to miss.
Profile Image for Stephen Campbell.
Author 2 books43 followers
July 8, 2015
An extremely well-done combination of love story and legal thriller. The story of Bill and Nora is one that will stick with you. Mr. Rubinstein is a talented author who continues to up his game with each new book.
Profile Image for Michael.
1,014 reviews2 followers
June 4, 2015
Outstanding! Bill and Nora's story is so gripping and binding. Such suspense until the very end. Tugs at your heart every step of the way. Loved it and highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Jodie "Bookish"  Cook.
1,717 reviews2 followers
December 30, 2016
Book Review

Title: The Lovers’ Tango

Author: Mark Rubinstein

Genre: Crime/Romance/Psychological

Rating: *****

Review: Initially reading the blurb The Lovers’ Tango reminds me of the movie Basic Instinct and not in the sexually way, but it is a similar premise. There’s a murder an there’s also an author whose character dies in the same way as the actual dead person; there is also a romance, but apart from the premise the two are nothing alike.

The cover is also amazing as it give nothing away. There is obviously a couple dancing; possibly the tango, to tie in with the title but other than that there’s nothing else, and I love that because it leaves so much up to the imagination of the reader before they even start reading.

The first chapter does exactly what it is meant to do, not only does it get your attention, it literally grabs you by the throat and forces you to read it. We met Bill and Nora at a get together, where Nora dances the Tango and Bill is immediately smitten with her. Nora’s sister Lee arranges for Bill to meet her and the conversation suddenly turns heated. They agree to go to dinner to which Nora replies “And then what?” which has Bill weak at the knees and we can see this is the beginning of a very passionate romance.

We can see from the get go that Rubinstein is a very talented writer, and I was really excited to read this after it came all the way from California courtesy of Thunder Lake Press. Which is the first book I’ve have ever received from a publisher and I hope this review is the beginning of a very good relationship.

The atmosphere quickly changes as we jump 15 years forward and we learn Nora has died from MS among other things and Bill is completely heart-broken he is drinking heavily and possibility contemplating suicide, when police turn up at his place wanting to ask him some questions “to wrap up the investigation of your wife’s death”, which immediately sparks my interest as the police don’t investigate deaths by natural causes unless they have reason to.

During Bill’s integration we learn that police believe he has some involvement in the death of his wife – due to excess warfarin – he answers most of their question but he immediately loses his cool when they imply Nora was a burden to him which we know is false he loved her so much. Then he abruptly terminates the interview/integration, when they begin probing into his new book and they constantly try to imply he was cheating on his terminal ill wife – in reply to this he calls a lawyer.

I absolutely love Bill’s lawyer Ben Abrams he’s got some spunk telling the cops to go fuck themselves, absolutely amazing and I feel a bit guilty that I laughed during this scene despite the almost predicament Bill is in, but I honestly couldn’t help it.

In Chapter 7 Bill is arrested for the murder of his wife and he is completely shell-shocked as he is cuffed and taking for booking. During the course of the booking and bail hearing Bill sees and hears everything going on around him but he is completely numb and can’t believe this is happening and his thoughts are constantly turning to Nora and how the police and even accuse of murdering his soul mate.

Luckily for Bill the judge at the bail hearing know his lawyer and himself and goes extremely easy on him been as he has been arrested for second degree murder, he is given bail and released on his own recognisance.

We aren’t even 40 pages into the book and I am already completely hooked and I hope I can read more of Mark Rubinstein’s work, as this book is completely in tune with my bookish tastes and preferences.

A grand jury hearing finds that there is sufficient evidence to take Bill to trail for the murder of his wife. Which is completely shocking as when he is answering the questions on the stand he is practically sobbing and he knows the judgement will brand him forever whether he is found guilty or not. And we can see this is going to be a long, hard road for Bill and I empathise with him immensely.

In the next couple of chapters we are given some background on Lee and Nora as well as their upbringing. They both had a very happy children until their mid-teens when they lost both of their parents. Lee was (17) and Nora (15) when their father is struck by lightning and dies. Nearly two years later their mother dies from breast cancer this is extremely saddening as their mother is also a Holocaust survivor.

We sympathise with Lee because after the death of her parents she was the sole carer of Nora, and she has watched her mother and her sister waste away. We also empathise with Nora as she believes she is marked by death, as she has seen both of her parents die and also one her ex-boyfriends committed suicide.

We also get some background on Ben, and how if he wasn’t friends with Bill then he wouldn’t have met his wife Elaine and he wouldn’t be in the position he is now defending him in a murder trial. Ben ponders on what is and what could have been, which is what anyone would do in that situation as he shouldn’t be working Bill’s case as they are close friends it’s a conflict of interest but he can’t give the case to anyone because he feels in some way he owes Bill for introducing him to his wife, and in a way giving him his two children, which is a true dedication of friendship.

By Chapter 12 Ben and Bill are beginning to build their defence case. Admittedly it doesn’t look good for Bill, but Ben is determined to get him off no matter what the cost, he is even worked the case pro bono. Bearing this in mind Ben’s rates are $800 an hour and this case could take weeks, months. Ben also confesses to Bill that he has always believed that he could never hurt Nora, it seems the only person that doesn’t believe Bill is the prosecution and the public (but they will eat anything entertaining up like hungry hounds).

We are also introduced to Bill’s younger brother Charlie and given some insight to the boy’s lives. We learn like Nora and Lee, Bill and Charlie also lost their parents, their father was a con man and their mother became cripple from arthritis, and it was Charlie who cared for her. We also see a lot of love between the brothers and the even laugh about having a cheapest suit contest, which Bill loses. And it is the first time in the book so far that Bill laughs and smiles despite what he is going through and we are all secretly routing for him.

As Bill and Ben further prepare for the trail we learn Bill has been withholding information of importance that he had deemed irrelevant. This is information that Olsen is going to drag up and use against him, even his own novel and the research that goes with it, this also includes research on warfarin. Also for a crime writer like Bill he doesn’t really know what a trail feels like which makes him seem rather naïve in a way and Ben in bursts of emotion and anger is slowly drumming into him that if he continues the way he is i.e. withholding information, he is going to be blindsided during the cross-examination at trail.

We also meet Olsen for the first time in depth. He is an extremely selfish man living his lifestyle and supporting himself of his in-laws and his wife’s trust fund. We also see he is beginning his own affair with his assistant because his wife is on a downward slope in his opinion (although this can be expected after birthing and breast feeding two children) and his relationship with her isn’t great. One of the key issues in their relationship beside this affair (the wife doesn’t know) is that Olsen wants to move to further his career and become a DA but his wife doesn’t want to move. And this affair is his way of sticking it to her in a way.

As Bill goes through juror selection it’s a battle of the wills between Ben and Olsen. By the time the jury is chosen Bill feels that all the jurors will prejudice due to their envy of his success. Bill is also beginning to see Nora everywhere, first at the deli and now in the courtroom although it turns out they are just other women with a slight resemblance to his wife, and we feel he may be losing his grip on reality as he is overcome with grief.

Bill is being bombarded with advice and suggestions from everyone around him; family, friends but none of it seems to be sinking all he can feel is fear and grief and he has almost given up accepting that there might be no way to move on from the trail and Nora’s death.

By the end of Olsen’s opening statement of the trail Bill is being to doubt that even his best friend Ben can get him out of this hole.

But Ben’s opening statement changed all that even Bill’s doubting thoughts as he captivates the jury like the seasoned professional he is, but you can also tell despite the fact he is talking about facts that his statement is laced with emotion, for Bill and for the departed Nora, we can feel he is projecting his own emotions on the jury in order to find the truth and shatter Olsen’s allegations like a pane of glass.

By Chapter 23 we have read the testimonies of the pathologist and Nora’s doctor who has been with her through her heart condition, MS and also dealt with her drugs and day-to-day care. The pathologist concludes that he cannot say who or how the warfarin killed Nora only that it did. And Nora’s doctors’ testimony prove Bill was trained to give Nora her medication by himself and he clearly knew the risks as did Nora and they worked together closely to provide the best care possible for her. He also tells of a time when he as a doctor suggested a care home for Nora and Bill refused and continued caring for her at home where she was most comfortable, mentally and emotionally if not physically and this prove that Bill couldn’t have killed her. Although Bill is sure that a few of the jurors have already decided in their minds he is guilty and won’t hesitate in convicting him.

Ben is also starting to believe that it was a mistake for him to take on Bill’s case as he can’t be objective, and throughout the trail proceedings he is trying to throw Olsen off his game. The next witness called is Constance whose husband died from Parkinson’s disease. She is a friend of Bill’s and Olsen tries to get her to admit they were having an affair – which they were – although she never confesses it in order to protect Bill.

Bill also wants to take the stand and he feels that if he doesn’t the jury are going to believe he is guilty and is hiding behind the 5th amendment, although Ben has his reservations about this as he knows Olsen will try to tear Bill apart on the stand.

By Chapter 28 we are being to see Bill in a slightly different light as he has had one affair and almost had a second with Nora’s friend Gina. But after rejecting her, he avoided her even though she pushed her advances with statements like “your life is circling the drain” and “why not see someone else?” and Bill wanted to but he felt an unwavering loyalty to Nora. Despite this Gina held a grudge against him and try to pin him to the wall in court but Ben comes to rescue and completely turns it around making Gina look like the one who didn’t care for Nora and only wanted her out of the way.

By the end of the next chapter Bill’s novel finally enters the court and Olsen’s plot is being revealed, he is trying to use Bill’s internet history (mostly research for his novel, and Nora’s medication) to make it look like he planned the murder although Ben uses a loop-hole to allow them to very minimally dissect the novel for jury clarification, and it proves that Ben was purely researching his novel and the research linked to Nora’s medication was to make sure she was comfortable and on the correct dosage of each drug. Also each time Bill thought the drugs needed adjusting he would always consult a doctor, he had nothing but Nora’s best interests at heart.

One thing I really love about this novel is that the chapters are quite short so even if you are not a big reader you can read a few chapters then stop without forgetting where you are in the story. So this book would appeal to a lot of different people of all reading abilities and ages.

So by now we can see Olsen’s plan being slowly revealed but Bill notices mixed reactions from the jury which keeps us guessing whether or not he is going to be convicted. It makes us wonder whether Olsen has already done too much damage for Ben to undo, which is forcing us to what I assume is going to be an explosive climax.

Now we are running full speed into the conclusion of the novel. Bill has lost one of his most supportive jurors and she has been replaced with a man favoured by Olsen. The plea bargain Olsen offered has also been removed from the table and Bill has no choice now but to take the stand. As a reader I am now in a position where I want Bill to be innocent but I’m not entirely sure he is. After all there are many truths that haven’t been told like his affair with Constance. And he is the only person with means, motive and opportunity to end Nora’s life, if not to murder but as a mercy killing.

Throughout the trail Bill has maintained a composed exterior but as soon as he enters the witness box it vanishes and at times he is reduced to sobbing. When Olsen cross-examines him, he does something terrible without even knowing it. He takes from Bill the last piece of Nora, which he has been clinging to since her death. Leaving him empty and forcing him to confront his grief and think of his life without the love of his life. By the time comes for closing arguments Bill is on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Right now as a reader I’m very emotional. I’m angry as Olsen, I sympathise with Ben’s conflict and I am sad and insulted for Bill as he’s too emotionally empty to care. Nora gave him light and he now feels he’s alone in the dark. His testimony comes to an end with him sinking to the floor utterly broken and Olsen is taking smug pride in it. It makes me want to punch him in the face.

After over 10 hours of deliberation Bill is found not guilty of murder. But despite the trail ending it’s not over for Bill as he still has to live without Nora. The trail took a lot from him including his possibility of continuing a new life with Constance. But he does dig deep to finish Assassin’s Lullaby for Nora but the novel develops into something completely different that Bill wasn’t expecting.

His money worries are solved as all his books are on the bestseller’s list, but he is still alone. Although he keeps in touch with everyone he is detached. Lee no longer talks to Bill as it’s painful for them both plus the only thing they had in common was Nora and she’s gone.

Those final few pages finally detail the truth behind the trail and the acting. Bill did kill Nora but he did it out of love to end her pain and suffering and I completely agree with his decision. Although the novel leaves a few questions; especially whether or not Bill commits suicide but I feel whole putting it down knowing Bill ultimately did the right thing, even though it wasn’t the legal thing to do.
Profile Image for Lois.
323 reviews9 followers
July 14, 2015
Smooth-flowing and fluid as silk, The Lovers’ Tango: A Novel by Mark Rubinstein is a fast-paced read that one would dearly love to consume in a single sitting—the sensuality and suppleness of the text are ideally suited to the intimacy of the subject. In retrospect and through timely glimpses, the reader is invited to witness the attraction between the male lead, Bill Shaw, and his beguiling partner, in the dance of life that has now become one of death, in which Bill is ensnared as the most likely suspect.

Central to the core theme of the work is the image of the Argentinian tango, the nature of which is described in the Preface to the novel. The dramatic nature of the dance is a fitting symbol of the life and death struggle that occurs in the sick room, which is later painfully borne witness to in the courtroom. Elements of the dance have much in common with the unfolding drama of the novel. The fact that the tango was originally danced only by women foreshadows the close relationship between Bill Shaw and his lawyer, and longtime friend, Ben Abrams, who comes from a working-class background, as, too, does the dance. The thrust and parry of the courtroom brings to mind the head-snapping action that characterizes the South American dance. The exotic nature of the tango can be seen as being embodied in the sensuous Nora Reyes, with the riveting first encounter between the lovers, which is described early on in the novel, totally sweeping Bill off his feet.

The sensuality of the imagery (“Her skin appeared moist; I inhaled deeply, her essence filling my nostrils.”) draws the reader into the intensely lived moments between the lovers, but with the continuously present sense that they are living on borrowed time, as one is aware from the start that their love is doomed, with Nora ultimately succumbing to the depredations of MS (and perhaps to the willing hand of her ostensibly loving partner). Just as the romance of the tango liberated the poor from the squalor of the Buenos Aires slums, so, too, does the loving and erotic relationship between Bill and his wife lift them out of the mundane and banal to a transcendent state of ecstatic intimate union, albeit one that ultimately ends in her tragic demise.

The Lovers’ Tango: A Novel should intrigue a broad spectrum of readers across the genres of medical thriller, courtroom drama and romance. The characters are so well described and have such appeal that the novel should attract a wide range of adherents from young to old. Mark Rubinstein is a well-known author of both fiction and nonfiction, with an extensive background in medicine and psychotherapy, which enables him to give great depth to his writing. His work deserves to be prescribed for creative writing courses, as many a novice author could well benefit from acquiring his economy of style, coupled with his breadth of theme.
4,576 reviews16 followers
June 20, 2015
Good Read, Good Characters **I received an ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review**Ben Shaw is a 30ish crime fiction author. Several of his books have been turned into movies. He sees Nora do the tango in a cafe. A man named Lee approached him after noticing him watch her and offered to introduce them. Nora offers to teach him to do the tango. She's an actress in a soap opera. 15 years later, Nora is dead. Ben was in such pain, first from Nora's illness and then with her death. A couple of days later, police come to Ben's apartment. It had been five years since Ben had written a book. Nora had asked him to write a book for her. He named it The Assassin's Lullaby. Now he's being accused of murdering her.The story showed that Ben loved his wife with all he had. It turned out Ben is stronger than he ever thought as he makes it through her illness and survives her death. He is a good man and it shows as he tries to prove it to the cops. This was a good story. Sometimes it was a little slow, but something keeps you going. I recommend it.
Profile Image for Dan Santos.
Author 5 books20 followers
June 20, 2015
Step aside, Grisham!

Mark Rubinstein has produced a powerful courtroom drama; one to which no film could ever do justice, but which has the stuff to become a serious blockbuster when Hollywood starts making good movies again.

On June 24, 1935, precisely 80 years ago, a plane crash in Medellin, Colombia, took away the soul of the Argentinian Tango: Carlos Gardel. 80 years later Mark Rubinstein brought it back wrapped in the sensuous, sultry Nora. Rubinstein's artistry subjects the reader to intense pain and desperation; love and lust; ambivalence and certainty, the true soul of the Tango.

Those who read the novel must be prepared for the torture of unbearable suspense, the burn of literary bliss and the hope that, miraculously, there may be many more chapters; even though your app tells you you've reached the 99% point!

I wish there were a higher acclaim than the Five Stars it richly deserves.

Profile Image for Irene.
852 reviews9 followers
October 5, 2015
Bill's beloved wife Nora has only just been buried, but then finds himself arrested and charged with killing her. This is a snappy, to the point book with no long winded descriptions which makes a nice change! The irony of a crime writer being accused of the very thing He makes a living from. I don't usually choose court case dramas but this was definitely well worth reading. It was engrossing, thrilling and I was totally captivated by it, racing through the pages, watching how the opposing lawyers "danced" with each other, pulling each other's points apart. Simply breathtaking! Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC.
Profile Image for Ann Lineberger.
Author 2 books40 followers
April 17, 2016
Once I started Mark Rubinstein’s enthralling page-turner, The Lover’s Tango, I couldn’t put it down. Love story, legal thriller and medical mystery, this captivating story within a story masterfully blends romance, tragedy and suspense leading to the novel’s unexpected and poignant ending. Multifaceted and entertaining, The Lover's Tango’s deftly appeals to a wide audience.

Profile Image for Bonnie.
491 reviews
November 25, 2016
Thought provoking story

I bought this book based on a recommendation that I saw from author, Scott Pratt. I am very glad I did because it is a great book. It is a moving story and at times during the reading, it choked me up. I will seek out other books by Mr. Rubinstein.
Profile Image for Marla Picklesimer.
72 reviews1 follower
December 8, 2016
OMG...I did NOT see THAT twist coming!! Just 5% in on this read & THAT happened...WOW, WHAT a twist!! Nora & Bill Shaw's story, captivating from Go. Emotions...suspense...AND more twist...WHAT a spectacular read!!
7 reviews
February 2, 2017
Twists and turns

The author slowly captures you as you turn the pages. Eventually you can't wait to see what happens next. Ultimately, you see the connections but not until the very end do you realize the truth. Fact and fiction so intertwined. Riveting!
Profile Image for Lynn Whylly.
Author 1 book2 followers
March 8, 2016
I met Mark at a local library when he did a 'Meet the Author' event.

I found his book to be intriguing and full of twists that kept me on the edge of my seat. The ending will surprise you!
12 reviews
August 27, 2016
S shocking or maybe not s shocking read.

A true love story that shows how every woman wants to be as cherished as Nora was cherished. A thoughtful ending. A forgiving ending.
July 1, 2018
Fantastic!

This book is great. I could barely put it down. The situation that confronts the characters was a difficult read for someone with a life long disease. I thought I started this book but didn’t read to the ending. Now I’m very glad I did. Click the button right now. You need to read this book!
Profile Image for Patricia Romero.
1,358 reviews39 followers
June 3, 2016
Love, Thrills, Drama in the courtroom, suspense and a beautiful sensuality combine in The Lover's Tango.

Bill Shaw meets Nora Reyes and falls madly in love with her. The happily live the dream in New York City, their life as passionate as the Tango itself.
When Nora falls ill, then dies,
Before he can even absorb the gut-wrenching loss he has sustained, he is accused of murdering her.

Can he prove his innocence? Is he even innocent? The suspense was killing me!

The courtroom drama is as real as it gets and it was way past lights out when I finished this one!

Intriguing and highly recommended!
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.