Start by marking “Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body” as Want to Read:

If you want to be toned, lean, and strong as quickly as possible without crash dieting, "good genetics," or wasting ridiculous amounts of time in the gym and money on supplements...regardless of your age... then you want to read this book.

In this book you're going to learn something most women will never know: The exact formula of exercise and eating that makes losing 10
Paperback, Second Edition, 344 pages
Published January 2015 by Oculus Publishers (first published September 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thinner Leaner Stronger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinner Leaner Stronger

Dawn Peers
I've managed to look up a wide variety of sources as part of my commitment to a long term lifestyle change.

Unhappy with my form and results I've been seeing in my apathetic gym routines, I decided to spend some money on "Thinner Leaner Stronger" as the reviews had been so favourable and on reviewing the YouTube channel, decided that Matthews probably does know what he's going on about ;)

I read this before going to a healthy eating seminar at my local gym; they told me nothing that I didn't know
Erin
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally go for fitness books. It has some interesting ideas. And then he tells you not to drink tap water, which is the most fucking ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my entire life. First world privilege, motherfucker, do you have it? No? I guess you're not going to get anything out of this, then.
Íris
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, favorites
This is the first Fitness book I never got bored of and finished.

It's THAT interesting.
Mike Matthews knows his deal. He's an experienced and science-based trainer who busts myths after myths after myths.
Before reading this book I felt like I was lost and had no idea what I was doing.
This book goes through the do's and don'ts for EVERY beginner, doesn't matter if you're underweight, overweight or in the right spot but not quite "there" yet.
He begins by demystifying some of the health industry big
Annette
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book weeded through a lot of misleading info for a beginner. Really good information on diet and exercise and how to get results. Thanks so much for writing this book and all the easy to understand information
Debra
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads-won
***Received this book for free from Goodreads first reads giveaway.

This book is simple and to the point. I think a novice or beginner to exercise would benefit from this book. The reading is easy and nothing discussed is too complicated that it cannot be understood. I did not come away with too much new informations but I did get motivated to keep a workout journal. I had never thought of that before and do see the benefit in keeping one. I found that this book reinforced what I already knew or
Sheila
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If only 2 1/2 stars were an option

While this book does have some really great information--and I'm sure his plan would get a person into shape--it felt like I was reading an infomercial.
Adriana
Update 12/3/13
Success! After 9 weeks, I've lost 15 lbs and dropped from 36% fat to 31%, even though I'm reasonably certain that the first measurement is wrong.

This is my 5th attempt at losing weight in the last 4 years. Previous attempts have seen me ready to quit by the 9th week: hours of cardio, all-you-can-eat of leafy veggies, small portions of bland chicken, and the occasional even smaller portion of bland beef. No thanks! Small amounts of cardio are recommended, but the main focus is on w
Bonnie
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been picking up the author's free Kindle downloads for the last two or three months and I decided it would be worth the investment to buy a real book of his. And it was! There may have been a few paragraphs I had already read from his free downloads, but the majority of it was informative, and today I started implementing some changes to my diet and training program based on some of his recommendations. But weight lifting 5 days a week and cardio 3 days a week but separately? Geez. Twelve s ...more
Stacey Hoffer
Jul 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I gave the book 4 stars because the issues I had with it were based on personal preference rather than the book itself. I never had to exercise or train until my metabolism abandoned me, so I'm not sure how to do so. Thus, I bought this book.

I noticed that a lot of other reviews say that this is an easy guide to losing weight. The author does explain everything very clearly and at length, answering all the questions you can imagine, but I still felt like it was for a more serious fitness buff th
Candi
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been lifting for almost 3 years now. The first few chapters were things I already knew. By chapter 9, I picked up things I never knew. I know that the power of lifting heavy and challenging yourself works for weight loss. Pre-pregnancy, I was in a fairly good shape in a small amount of time. The routine that was recommended is somewhat close to my original workout. I'll try this new approach to sets and reps.

If you are a woman who is unsure about lifting or want to get into it, this read i
Viv JM

This book isn’t totally awful. I like the emphasis on heavy compound lifts and there are some very good descriptions of these (ie squat, deadlift, bench press etc). There is also a bit of interesting information about the absorption of different forms of protein and timings in relation to exercise.

However, I found this book to be hugely problematic in many other respects.

Firstly, this book - whilst ostensibly aimed at women - is very clearly a rehash of his popular book for men and he d
D
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fitness enthusiasts, power lifters
Recommended to D by: John
three stars, rising four.

this book is a diamond in the rough.

THE VERACITY OF HIS CLAIMS
michael matthews does everything he can to present all of his hard-won knowledge of strength training in as straight-forward and transparent a manner as possible. he doesn't expect the reader to just trust him -- or his eighteen pack -- but takes great pains to illuminate the logical, experience-based, and/or data-driven routes to his conclusions, assertions, and opinions. his work is incredibly liberally sou
Koko
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Again, half stars would be great. It's not 4 but not 3. I think 3.5-3.75 is fair.

I'll start by saying that I read this book as I have interest in nutrition and athletic performance. I wanted a new strength training program and his programs have been very successful.

I personally hated the very colloquial, bro-ish writing style. It's very easy to read but it feels a tiny bit condescending and very infomercial like. But that's just a personal preference. Some folks may really like it.

Having a ve
Kristin Marie
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
"Thinner, Leaner, Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body" by Michael Matthews was an excellent read. Matthews does a great job explaining complete scientific information in every day terms.

One of my biggest pet peeves is how much conflicting information is out on the web in regards to health and fitness. Matthews covers everything in his book (logically and with scientific backing).

I found his sections on nutrition to be extremely helpful and enlightening. His sample
Narelle Shorter
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, I had ummed and arrrd over buying it for several months, thinking it was just like all the others, (to think if I'd bought it sooner I'd now be further ahead!)....
This book broke it down to such simple science, I can see now where I had been going wrong with my eating and exercise habits and how it had been holding me back.
Nutrition and exercise has been explained in a way that is easy to follow when reading (I actually downloaded the audio version, the narrators voic
Shelby Thomas
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I learned so so much with this book. And EVERYTHING is backed with research as well as details on Mike's interpretation of that research, not just "here's some stuff, trust me." He bust myths based on poorly performed research too, which I loveee. There are a small handful of things I disagree with, and the supplementation he uses makes the "simple" science part a bit of a stretch, but overall this is a great kickstarter for anyone who not only wants to lose weight, but wants to maintain a healt ...more
Kathleen
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've lost 25 pounds of fat on this plan. Only one that's ever truly worked for me. If you are motivated and really do want to change your body this is a great book to start you on a plan. Michael Matthews will even answer all your questions via email and has options for custom meal plans.
Marivi Gonzalez
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything you need to know in a nutshell, no BS, proven formula.
Nagma K
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been following Bret Contreras' workout programs for a lifting plan that fits women's bodies, however, his writing is awful and at times demeaning.

Michael Matthews on the other hand, provides a really comprehensive overview of nutrition, strength training, supplements, scientific terminology, anatomy, lifting form, and much more within these pages. It's an easy and digestable read to learn more about strength training overall with multiple scientific studies cited for each claim he makes (a
Ann
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confession: I skipped the section on supplements. If I want to know I’ll go back and read it.

This is a weird book to review because it’s not so much a book as a fitness plan, and therefore sort of hard to evaluate on its bookishness. Sometimes the writing is very clickbaity feeling, and there are entire paragraphs you can just skip because he’s repeating himself. It hasn’t won any Pulitzers.

As for the weightlifting, I guess we’ll see!
Meihan Liu
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Schedule of strength training part very enlightening!!
Kaitlyn Wright
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This workout/diet plan is really working! The science explained in the book has given me the knowledge and motivation I needed to change my lifestyle. After only 2 months I've lost noticable weight, gained energy, and built muscle! Highly recommend 👍
Nikias Tomasiello
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learning
Actual rating: 3.5/5
Momninja
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit of conflicting info in the book itself between chapters. Overall, a good breakdown of how to get fit.
Bulbul
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book was recommended by a friend. It covers all aspects of fitness and training. The psychological struggle, nutrition, workouts, supplements, planning etc. Everyone interested in fitness should read it.
Oceans
This is a good start and guide for people who are new with nutrition and fitness but it is also good for the ones who are already in the lifestyle. It is simple and easy to understand and he provides facts and guidance. I missed some concrete plan and calculations but I guess in the end everybody has to find his own way just following this guide.
Following latest research I'm a bit sceptic about his carbs intake and there was no mentioning of IF. Anyway I would recommend this book for people who
Augusta
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok I skimmed through a looot of this book, as he spends a lot of time talking about what is wrong with the fitness industry (like duh) and nutrition (I'm vegan, so his nutrition advise doesn't suit me, nor do I agree with a lot of it) and I just wanted to get done to the training part.

But once we finally got to the workouts, I was on board. Lift heavy, do simple, compound exercises; don't waste time doing supersets and isolation exercises ...this kind of thing I could get behind.

Downloaded the
Rebecca Whitlock
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
It was just ok

A little disappointed. This book is good to understand what we need to eat so our bodies are properly fueled. It's aimed more for someone who goes to the gym and not your at home bodybuilder. This was just a stepping stone to buy into his training for meal plans etc. If you understand why it's important to eat right and calculate your macros, then don't waste your money on this book.
Emily
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
His comments on dealing with negative self talk was helpful. His interpretation of nutritional studies are suspect. His knowledge of weight lifting and body building appears extensive. The section on supplements has the main purpose of promoting his own products.

This is more of a body building book than a book on learning to be healthier.
Leah Hortin
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was not my cup of tea. the author seems a bit of a d-bag. and its geared toward bodybuilding, which isn't my MO. But there was some valid info in it backed by lots of research and experience. And copious amounts of protein powder.
Thinner Leaner Stronger 1 12 Dec 20, 2012 06:30AM
  • Me, Myself & Food: Conquering The Struggle Against Overweight And Obesity Without Dieting
  • The Overnight Diet: The Proven Plan for Fast, Permanent Weight Loss
  • Doctor Yourself: Natural Healing That Works
  • Eat for Health: The Mind and Body Makeover
  • The Year One Challenge for Women: Thinner, Leaner, and Stronger Than Ever in 12 Months
  • The Wrong Dog Dream: A True Romance
  • The Naked Husband
  • The Paleo Coach: Expert Advice for Extraordinary Health, Sustainable Fat Loss, and an incredible body
  • The 9th Fortress
  • Secrets to a Healthy Metabolism
  • The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-being
  • Weight Loss for People Who Feel Too Much: A 4-Step, 8-Week Plan to Finally Lose the Weight, Manage Emotional Eating, and Find Your Fabulous Self
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics: A Philosophy for Achieving a Radiant Mind and a Fabulous Body
  • Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body
  • Year One (Living with the Dead #1-2)
  • The Execution of Willie Francis: Race, Murder, and the Search for Justice in the American South
  • Breathing: The Master Key to Self Healing
Hi,

I’m Mike and I’ve been training for nearly a decade now.

I believe that every person can achieve the body of his or her dreams, and I work hard to give everyone that chance by providing workable, proven advice grounded in science, not a desire to sell phony magazines, workout products, or supplements.

I’ve helped quite a few people achieve their health and fitness goals, and at their urging, I am
“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. — BENJAMIN FRANKLIN” 2 likes
“you’re as tough as you think you are, and you can exert as much self-control as you think you can.” 1 likes